Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England squad

Comments

• Options

What are Diers Charlton connections?!

From Wikipedia:

He is the grandson of Ted Croker, a former Secretary of the Football Association and President of Cheltenham Town, and great-nephew of Peter Croker, who both played professionally for Charlton Athletic.
    You do sometimes wonder if some people think that this website is the only way of finding out information about anything
  • Options
    Im not sure I agree with Roobey bashing that seems to have crept in recently.

Perhaps Roy has now realised that he can turn to players like Kane, Ali and Vardy without heavily relying on Rooney playing well.

It shouldn't take away the fact that WR is this countries record goal scorer, a popular member of the setup and a good servant to the national side.
  • Options

Perhaps Roy has now realised that he can turn to players like Kane, Ali and Vardy without heavily relying on Rooney playing well.

It shouldn't take away the fact that WR is this countries record goal scorer, a popular member of the setup and a good servant to the national side.

But not good enough to be in the team.
  • Options

But not good enough to be in the team.
    Not at the moment, no
  • Options
    Always seemed in recent times that England teams have faltered because of lack of mental strength and a failure to handle pressure when it matters rather than an lack of innate footballing ability. Bizarre when you consider the pressure most play under in the Premier League particular in title run ins.

I don't think the media helps either....usually finding some story to destabilise the squad right before the tournament having hyped them up for the weeks prior.

Hopefully the relative youth of the squad and lack of expectation will reduce the pressure on them and they can go out and play with the confidence they did last night. Roy Hodgson should take some credit too of course.

Looking forward to this tournament as always when England are involved but nice to see we have a team that could perhaps surprise a few and do well.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

purdis said:

Now that's how to play football.

We lost our shape at times but that was generally when we were pushing for a goal and we got caught on the break with too many pushed up - and against the World Champions - no surprise.

Roy Hodgson the best Manager since Terry Venables and could be the new Sir Alf Ramsey with a bit of luck and a fair wind.

Fantastic performance from England in every way and great to see such hungry young men battling for places and working for each other - no big ego's on the park tonight.

Was very impressed with Lothar Matthaus who was full of praise for our football and very humble in defeat - I reminded the wife that he has 150 German caps, has Captained Germany to a World Cup win in 1990, European and World Player of the Year and was the man who Bayern Munich substituted in the 79th minute vs Manchester United when Bayern were leading and comfortably in control in the '99 Champion's League Final and his departure changed the game in United's favour - as important a change as Bobby Charlton's removal from the World Cup QF when England were 2-0 up against the Germans in 1970 - only for us to lose 3-2.

Wow!! Not sure you'll be saying that when he starts Rooney, Milner and Henderson in the Euro's!!
    Funny you should mention that - when I saw Milner on the bench I did quite shudder in horror!
    Henderson was busy and pressed well and did contribute in a positive, physical way but, I agree, probably not good enough but Roy will have had him in there for a very good reason.

On Hodgson, ask Gary Neville how much he respects him as a Coach - huge respect and generally believes this man can take us to the promised land - with a bit of luck (with injuries, in particular) and a fair wind, as previously mentioned.

I cannot remember seeing a more positive, clever England team performance - even when we won 5-1 in Munich we didn't play as good a pressing game, as good a short passing game and with as good movement and support play.

Would also like to point out that Cahill has taken all the flack for the Gomez goal but little praise for the quality of the goal itself by the Germans - a superb ball into the striker, great movement and timing by Gomez to execute the finish.
    That is what the Germans will always have in their locker.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    purdis said:

purdis said:

Now that's how to play football.

We lost our shape at times but that was generally when we were pushing for a goal and we got caught on the break with too many pushed up - and against the World Champions - no surprise.

Roy Hodgson the best Manager since Terry Venables and could be the new Sir Alf Ramsey with a bit of luck and a fair wind.

Fantastic performance from England in every way and great to see such hungry young men battling for places and working for each other - no big ego's on the park tonight.

Was very impressed with Lothar Matthaus who was full of praise for our football and very humble in defeat - I reminded the wife that he has 150 German caps, has Captained Germany to a World Cup win in 1990, European and World Player of the Year and was the man who Bayern Munich substituted in the 79th minute vs Manchester United when Bayern were leading and comfortably in control in the '99 Champion's League Final and his departure changed the game in United's favour - as important a change as Bobby Charlton's removal from the World Cup QF when England were 2-0 up against the Germans in 1970 - only for us to lose 3-2.

Wow!! Not sure you'll be saying that when he starts Rooney, Milner and Henderson in the Euro's!!
    Funny you should mention that - when I saw Milner on the bench I did quite shudder in horror!
    Henderson was busy and pressed well and did contribute in a positive, physical way but, I agree, probably not good enough but Roy will have had him in there for a very good reason.

On Hodgson, ask Gary Neville how much he respects him as a Coach - huge respect and generally believes this man can take us to the promised land - with a bit of luck (with injuries, in particular) and a fair wind, as previously mentioned.

I cannot remember seeing a more positive, clever England team performance - even when we won 5-1 in Munich we didn't play as good a pressing game, as good a short passing game and with as good movement and support play.

Would also like to point out that Cahill has taken all the flack for the Gomez goal but little praise for the quality of the goal itself by the Germans - a superb ball into the striker, great movement and timing by Gomez to execute the finish.
    That is what the Germans will always have in their locker.
    Taking Gomez off disturbed their play, as they then had no one to lead the line
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I'm just pissed off Poochannejad isn't English.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Keep thinking of who I would play as our starting line up v Russia. Only real weakness for me is the second CB as Smalling has come on leaps and bounds and is decent now......

Hart
    Clyne
    Smalling
    Cahill / Jagielka
    Rose
    Dier
    Alli
    Wilshire
    Sterling
    Kane
    Sturridge

Subs bench to include Wellbeck, Rooney, Vardy, Ox,
  • Options
    Id put Drinkwater in that Squad ahead of Wilshere, is a shame he didnt come on for Henderson as the team ending against Germany would be my team for Russia.

(Although Henderson did assist with the Dier goal)
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Id put Drinkwater in that Squad ahead of Wilshere, is a shame he didnt come on for Henderson as the team ending against Germany would be my team for Russia.

I was getting really pissed off we Henderson looking for a short corner all the time. Twice when he put it in the box we scored.

Was also nice not to have Sterling on the pitch strutting about. Just my personal opinionbut him, Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain shouldn't be anywhere, near the squad - that's a lot of pace not to include I know but there are 3 of the most infuriating players I've ever seen. Besides, Clyne and Rose are good enough to give us pace, especially with Dier as a holding player to protect.
  • Options
    If Wilshire is fit he has to play - he was superb in the qualifiers
  • Options

I was getting really pissed off we Henderson looking for a short corner all the time. Twice when he put it in the box we scored.

Was also nice not to have Sterling on the pitch strutting about. Just my personal opinionbut him, Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain shouldn't be anywhere, near the squad - that's a lot of pace not to include I know but there are 3 of the most infuriating players I've ever seen. Besides, Clyne and Rose are good enough to give us pace, especially with Dier as a holding player to protect.
    I know its only a film but there is a great quote in the first Goal! Film

The kid refuses to pass and relies too much on his pace and skill, the manager takes him aside and tells him to run after the ball when he kicks it.

Not once does he make it and the Manager reminds him that the ball when passed will always reach the destination quicker than the player who refuses to pass it.

Like I say its only a film but its a perfect example of how much pace is over rated...

If your good enough when it comes to passing / positional sense / ball control it doesnt matter how fast you are, you've got 10 team mates so use them!!
  • Options
    If we get the centre of defence right then we really could be a threat. But which is the best pairing?
  • Options
    Terrific performance by England last night. Anyone who claims that the Germans don't take 'friendlies' seriously is mistaken. The Germans were shaken out of their customary slow build up and measured passing game by a hard working, aggressive and more skilful England.
    Defence still looks a wee bit shaky, but I hope that Uncle Roy has the courage to select the majority of yesterday's team for the Euro opener, and that means no Rooney, as good a player as he's been for England over the past decade
  • Options
    Godstone said:

If we get the centre of defence right then we really could be a threat. But which is the best pairing?

Got to be the 2 that played last night hasn't it? We have a real problem at Cente Back - those 2 are probably the pick. Crazy that we have gone from Terry, Ferdinand, Campbell, Carragher and King to really struggling.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Terrific performance by England last night. Anyone who claims that the Germans don't take 'friendlies' seriously is mistaken.

Whilst i can't deny it was an impressive England performance, it's worth noting that the Germans have drawn at home to Australia and been beaten at home by the USA in the past year so i'm not sure we can say they care about friendlies too much.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Godstone said:

Got to be the 2 that played last night hasn't it? We have a real problem at Cente Back - those 2 are probably the pick. Crazy that we have gone from Terry, Ferdinand, Campbell, Carragher and King to really struggling.
    Makes you think what could of been if Joe Gomez had a full season at Liverpool. Probably wouldn't be far away at all at the rate he was progressing before injury.
  • Options
    I think Rooney would make a good squad player.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Terrific performance by England last night. Anyone who claims that the Germans don't take 'friendlies' seriously is mistaken.

Whilst i can't deny it was an impressive England performance, it's worth noting that the Germans have drawn at home to Australia and been beaten at home by the USA in the past year so i'm not sure we can say they care about friendlies too much.
    good point .. I would go further and suggest that Germany is a team in serious decline, we will see .. also, last night's referee did not give them the over protection to which I am sure they have become accustomed in the recent past .. and he did not let them get their way through moaning and diving .. like England in the recent past, German football has attracted many foreign players, subsequently, there are less German nationals available for selection .. admittedly they missed Boateng but who else could they have selected ? .. that was close to their first choice
  • Options
    Having said all that... Coming from behind and beating the Germans on their doorstep always makes me happy
  • Options
    Not saying he is the answer but why is Wes Morgan not being considered for centre half?
  • Options

Not saying he is the answer but why is Wes Morgan not being considered for centre half?

Plays for Jamaica I think?
  • Options
    Ha ha sorry guys
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Surprised Sergio Ramos hasn't received a call up (: