Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England squad

Comments

• Tutt-Tutt said:

Tutt-Tutt said:

I'm interested to see what Henderson offers. Running about a lot isn't enough at international level.

I hope we see Kane & Vardy as a front two at some stage.

Germany 4-2-3-1. England 4-3-3.

Thanks Roy. Now leave them there. Just need to sort out the B4 now.
    To be fair, the back four doesn't need to change as much as people think, in my opinion. One goal conceded with an injured keeper, the other a good header. Apart from those goals, I can't remember either having too much to do. Rose I was most suprised by as I didn't think he had the tactical awareness for international football.

Keep thinking of who I would play as our starting line up v Russia. Only real weakness for me is the second CB as Smalling has come on leaps and bounds and is decent now......

Hart
    Clyne
    Smalling
    Cahill / Jagielka
    Rose
    Dier
    Alli
    Wilshire
    Sterling
    Kane
    Sturridge

Subs bench to include Wellbeck, Rooney, Vardy, Ox,

Sterling? You're having bubble. I'd even forgotten he was an England player until this morning. Wilshere and Sturridge are frustrating as they are probably two of the most talented English players but with the worst injury records. I'd probably agree with starting Kane/Sturridge ahead of Vardy, just.
  • Wow what a buzz last night, jealous of my mates that were there. I have been guilty of really focussing on England over the last month a lot more then charlton. Really excited about the euros and ill be going to the holland game on tuesday.

I think Dheir was quality last night, he would definitely start for me. Not sure Henderson had such a bad game but would prefer drinkwater, hopefully he gets a game on tuesday. Harry Kane is just getting better and better, to sell mezut ozil like that with the cruyf turn was unreal. Vardy just keeps on knocking roys door, i was disappointed he didn't get a start and he comes on with 20 minutes to go to do THAT, just unreal. Seriously worried about our defence though, we don't have a very reliable back four, Gary Cahill (captain?!) makes me constantly worried, goalkeepers we are all good, sure butland will be fit for june and hart will be back.

Yes it is a friendly but seeing all these surprise premier league stars this season aka sprus and Leicester players come together in an england shirt is really quite satisfying.
  • andyg90 said:

Tutt-Tutt said:

Tutt-Tutt said:

I'm interested to see what Henderson offers. Running about a lot isn't enough at international level.

I hope we see Kane & Vardy as a front two at some stage.

Germany 4-2-3-1. England 4-3-3.

Thanks Roy. Now leave them there. Just need to sort out the B4 now.
    To be fair, the back four doesn't need to change as much as people think, in my opinion. One goal conceded with an injured keeper, the other a good header. Apart from those goals, I can't remember either having too much to do. Rose I was most suprised by as I didn't think he had the tactical awareness for international football.

Keep thinking of who I would play as our starting line up v Russia. Only real weakness for me is the second CB as Smalling has come on leaps and bounds and is decent now......

Hart
    Clyne
    Smalling
    Cahill / Jagielka
    Rose
    Dier
    Alli
    Wilshire
    Sterling
    Kane
    Sturridge

Subs bench to include Wellbeck, Rooney, Vardy, Ox,

Sterling? You're having bubble. I'd even forgotten he was an England player until this morning. Wilshere and Sturridge are frustrating as they are probably two of the most talented English players but with the worst injury records. I'd probably agree with starting Kane/Sturridge ahead of Vardy, just.
    I would swap sturridge for vardy other then that I think that looks decent imo. Sterling is our best winger...welbeck isn't good enough on the wing for me, sterling is easily a better player then him on the wing. Sturridge isn't a team player enough for me and is a bit of a crock, having said that he can be a match winner as he has it in his locker and i think he would be most effective as a sub in the euros. Although think sturridge will end up being subbed out of your XI for rooney....
  • Terrific performance by England last night. Anyone who claims that the Germans don't take 'friendlies' seriously is mistaken.

Whilst i can't deny it was an impressive England performance, it's worth noting that the Germans have drawn at home to Australia and been beaten at home by the USA in the past year so i'm not sure we can say they care about friendlies too much.
    good point .. I would go further and suggest that Germany is a team in serious decline, we will see .. also, last night's referee did not give them the over protection to which I am sure they have become accustomed in the recent past .. and he did not let them get their way through moaning and diving .. like England in the recent past, German football has attracted many foreign players, subsequently, there are less German nationals available for selection .. admittedly they missed Boateng but who else could they have selected ? .. that was close to their first choice
    Emre Can was a serious weakness last night and they have never suitably replaced Philipp Lahm who was a huge player for them.
  • I think Emre Can will be a very good player but agreed, he's not there yet.
  • And he's not a full back, best games for Liverpool have been in midfield and at centre back
  • He's like a better Phil Jones. Guilty of nobody knowing what his best position is.
  • edited March 2016
    Rooney will start regardless of anything other than injury.

The only reason he didn't play saturday was due to injury.

The top scorer in qualifying will be the excuse and the same mistakes made pissing over a possible new dawn.

I think people are kidding themselves a bit to think Hodgson will not pick the countries top goal scorer, top goal scorer in qualifying and Captain.
  • In the main tournament England will need a blend of both youth and experience.
    The side that won in Germany would be unlikely to survive against the more experienced sides in a serious, high pressure tournament.

It is folly to suggest Rooney can't still perform a crucial role for England.

He still has plenty to offer, maybe playing behind the strikers and his experience and self motivation will be invaluable if he can be fully fit.

He probably has another 30-35 caps in him at a wild guesstimate.

One thing's for sure, Roy will include him if he's fit (and rightly so) and this venom that is being spouted about hoping he doesn't come back will only spur him on more, the nature of the beast - and that can only be good for England.
  • Sponsored links:

• purdis said:

In the main tournament England will need a blend of both youth and experience.
    The side that won in Germany would be unlikely to survive against the more experienced sides in a serious, high pressure tournament.

It is folly to suggest Rooney can't still perform a crucial role for England.

He still has plenty to offer, maybe playing behind the strikers and his experience and self motivation will be invaluable if he can be fully fit.

He probably has another 30-35 caps in him at a wild guesstimate.

One thing's for sure, Roy will include him if he's fit (and rightly so) and this venom that is being spouted about hoping he doesn't come back will only spur him on more, the nature of the beast - and that can only be good for England.

Agreed... How many times have we the fans said that Jackson's legs have gone.

Yes he's not been at his best this season yet we've been saying it ever since we returned to the Championship and he's ALWAYS proved us wrong.
  • Never mind Rooney, what about Daniel Sturridge? First choice before his layoffs, if he finishes the season strongly then he will be hard to leave out
  • I think Emre Can will be a very good player but agreed, he's not there yet.

He's a central midfielder. I wouldn't have expected Mark Kinsella to play at full back
  • wmcf123 said:

I think Emre Can will be a very good player but agreed, he's not there yet.

He's a central midfielder. I wouldn't have expected Mark Kinsella to play at full back
    He's played at centre back quite a bit too though (Can, not Kinsella!), but I agree he's much better at centre midfield.
  • wmcf123 said:

I think Emre Can will be a very good player but agreed, he's not there yet.

He's played at centre back quite a bit too though (Can, not Kinsella!), but I agree he's much better at centre midfield.
    Only in a 3, but true
  • Never mind Rooney, what about Daniel Sturridge? First choice before his layoffs, if he finishes the season strongly then he will be hard to leave out

Sturridge only ever wants to play when he feels 100% right ?

Wilshere goes to ground for at least 10 seconds every time he is tackled.
    How many league games so far this season = 0

Match winners on their day' BUT

Pick only fit and in form players.

Let's be professional for a change at International level.

I fear that Roy is too sentimental .

We shall see.

Sturridge only ever wants to play when he feels 100% right ?

Wilshere goes to ground for at least 10 seconds every time he is tackled.
    How many league games so far this season = 0

Match winners on their day' BUT

Pick only fit and in form players.

Let's be professional for a change at International level.

I fear that Roy is too sentimental .

We shall see.

Sturridge, unlike Rooney (and Wilshere) is now playing. He's started the last 3 games for Liverpool.

Even if you don't start with him, if England desperately need a goal, I'd rather have him coming off the bench than Rooney
  • The most important thing about Rooney is, no matter what you think of the guy, he has never, ever hit the ground running when returning from injury. It takes him 5-10 games to find form. Sometimes more. If he returns to play for the Euros without at least 5 games for United before then, we are doomed.
  • I'd like to see:

Clyne - Cahill - Smalling - Rose
    Dier - Alli/Henderson
    Vardy - Barkley/Alli - Welbeck
    Kane

Especially given Shaw and Sterling aren't likely to be match fit.

- Not convinced Henderson adds much but if we play a pressing game I suppose he has energy.

- We play better as a team when Welbeck plays, and him and Vardy have the energy to help both the fullbacks and Kane.

- I like Stones and think him being good on the ball could be an asset, but he's out of form and Cahill's experience is probably a better option.

- Rooney has been poor this year, I'd rather play the likes of Kane, Vardy and Alli who have done well, but suspect we'll drop or play others out of position and shoehorn him in somehow.

I think we're more likely to play something like this:

Hart
    Dier - Henderson
    Alli - Rooney - Welbeck
    Kane
  • edited March 2016

I'd like to see:

Dier - Alli/Henderson
    Vardy - Barkley/Alli - Welbeck
    Kane

Especially given Shaw and Sterling aren't likely to be match fit.

- Not convinced Henderson adds much but if we play a pressing game I suppose he has energy.

- We play better as a team when Welbeck plays, and him and Vardy have the energy to help both the fullbacks and Kane.

- I like Stones and think him being good on the ball could be an asset, but he's out of form and Cahill's experience is probably a better option.

- Rooney has been poor this year, I'd rather play the likes of Kane, Vardy and Alli who have done well, but suspect we'll drop or play others out of position and shoehorn him in somehow.

I think we're more likely to play something like this:

Hart
    Dier - Henderson
    Alli - Rooney - Welbeck
    Kane

Cahill might be experienced but he's never impressed me for England. However, I do think this is what Woy will pick . Solves the Rooney / Alli/ Kane issue
  • Sponsored links:

• Really don't think Vardy has shown anything to say he should be played out wide. We've learnt enough in the past to not shoehorn our best players into a formation. If we play a diamond then him and Kane should start up front, if not we have one great option off the bench. Welbeck is different as he has proven to be able to perform out there.
  • Really don't think Vardy has shown anything to say he should be played out wide. We've learnt enough in the past to not shoehorn our best players into a formation. If we play a diamond then him and Kane should start up front, if not we have one great option off the bench. Welbeck is different as he has proven to be able to perform out there.

He drops wide and quite deep for Leicester.

But from a starting central position up top, by wandering he causes centre backs problems, as they don't know whether to follow him or not. If he starts out wide, then the Centre backs know they can leave him to the full backs.

But from a starting central position up top, by wandering he causes centre backs problems, as they don't know whether to follow him or not. If he starts out wide, then the Centre backs know they can leave him to the full backs.
    Agreed, I hope we don't try a crowbar in players into positions which don't really suit them just because we think they ought to play. It's been done too many times in the past - Gerrard and Lampard in midfield together, Scholes on the left for example. It usually just ends up meaning neither the team or the player benefit much.

If we can't find a way to play Vardy and Kane together up top then we have to choose one or the other. Personally I'd use Kane as he offers a more consistent goal threat in a team which generally lacks goals a little bit, despite all the attacking talent.

It's probably going to be the same deal with Alli and Barkley (and maybe Rooney), we'll have to pick one or the other. Maybe Barkley could operate more from the left.

You might have to pick Wellbeck and Sterling by default as they are both comfortable wide, although I'm not personally sure Sterling deserves it at the moment. Albrighton is the in form English winger but he doesn't seem to be part of the conversation at all.

Hart

Clyne Smalling Cahill Rose

Dier Drinkwater

Wellbeck Alli Barkley

Kane
  • Fantastic performance.

Delighted for the travelling fans who have been an absolute credit to us - extremely loud throughout.

We've got the cream out there

As I said - the England fans were an utter disgrace.

:-)

Scholes on the left for example. It usually just ends up meaning neither the team or the player benefit much.

The more time that passes, the more ludicrous that sounds. We were so spoilt for midfielders the coaches thought it was okay to put Scholes on the left. The one man worth building a team around.

I really think that if the right kind of coach was in charge of the 98-04 teams, we could've been incredibly dominant.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Really don't think Vardy has shown anything to say he should be played out wide. We've learnt enough in the past to not shoehorn our best players into a formation. If we play a diamond then him and Kane should start up front, if not we have one great option off the bench. Welbeck is different as he has proven to be able to perform out there.

Scholes on the left for example. It usually just ends up meaning neither the team or the player benefit much.

The more time that passes, the more ludicrous that sounds. We were so spoilt for midfielders the coaches thought it was okay to put Scholes on the left. The one man worth building a team around.

I really think that if the right kind of coach was in charge of the 98-04 teams, we could've been incredibly dominant.
    Sven's record holds up reasonably well, but we really should have been semi finalists at least at some time during that period.

When you look back, we had some bloody good players during that time, but maybe not the depth of talent. I think some players were allowed to become complacent about their place in the team and we just didn't have that many options to change it up. And there was the old left midfield problem (i.e. not having a single decent English one) as well which is partially what led to Scholes being shunted out there. What a difference Giggs might have made if he'd chose England over Wales.

I always think Hoddle was the one that maybe got away. He was seemingly building something around 98. We had some momentum after Euro 96 and were unlucky to lose to the Argies, even with 10 men, at France 98. Maybe by the next Euros we'd have been in a position to put in challenge but then he said what he said and the rest is history.

Since then the managers have either been tactically too rigid (Cappello) or just not up to the job (Keegan, McLaren).

I like Woy and think he's been a good steady pair of hands to guide us through this transition. For all the disappointment at the last two tournaments we haven't had a Taylor or McLaren-esque qualifying meltdown, but I do fear with this new pacy young side we have we need someone with a bit more imagination and an ability to occasionally throw caution to the wind. The trouble is, there are still not exactly a lot of obvious alternatives. Hopefully he proves me wrong, doesn't stay too loyal to older players and lets the shackles off a bit this summer.

I don't think we'll win, but I genuinely don't see a clear cut favourite either so I don't see why we should fear anyone this time out.

• JiMMy 85 said:

Really don't think Vardy has shown anything to say he should be played out wide. We've learnt enough in the past to not shoehorn our best players into a formation. If we play a diamond then him and Kane should start up front, if not we have one great option off the bench. Welbeck is different as he has proven to be able to perform out there.

Sven's record holds up reasonably well, but we really should have been semi finalists at least at some time during that period.

When you look back, we had some bloody good players during that time, but maybe not the depth of talent. I think some players were allowed to become complacent about their place in the team and we just didn't have that many options to change it up. And there was the old left midfield problem (i.e. not having a single decent English one) as well which is partially what led to Scholes being shunted out there. What a difference Giggs might have made if he'd chose England over Wales.

I always think Hoddle was the one that maybe got away. He was seemingly building something around 98. We had some momentum after Euro 96 and were unlucky to lose to the Argies, even with 10 men, at France 98. Maybe by the next Euros we'd have been in a position to put in challenge but then he said what he said and the rest is history.

Since then the managers have either been tactically too rigid (Cappello) or just not up to the job (Keegan, McLaren).

I like Woy and think he's been a good steady pair of hands to guide us through this transition. For all the disappointment at the last two tournaments we haven't had a Taylor or McLaren-esque qualifying meltdown, but I do fear with this new pacy young side we have we need someone with a bit more imagination and an ability to occasionally throw caution to the wind. The trouble is, there are still not exactly a lot of obvious alternatives. Hopefully he proves me wrong, doesn't stay too loyal to older players and lets the shackles off a bit this summer.

I don't think we'll win, but I genuinely don't see a clear cut favourite either so I don't see why we should fear anyone this time out.

As England managers go, it stands out for me that Hodgson's had us playing quick, pressing football that is completely different to the style we've had under previous managers. Honestly don't know if that's him or the type of the players we have available at the moment, maybe a bit of both - but it's so different to the 'pass across the back 4 and lump it forward' that I associate with watching England.

Not getting carried away, but before Germany on Saturday I've thought we looked (probably since about Euro 2012) that we're trying to play a quicker tempo on the ball than we are actually capable of, which has resulted in poor possession and generally not creating many chances... because with slow build up you usually get to swing a ball into the box or something - which against poor, qualifying-group teams will pay off eventually over 90mins. Saturday was very encouraging just because we looked dangerous with the quick play on the ball, and the off-the-ball pressure was good throughout.

That said, don't think we'll do much at the tournament necessarily - but from this one friendly (huge pinch of salt needed) it looks like we're competitive and not a lame duck like the recent ones.
  • tom- k said:

ChiAddick said:

What do England keep signing on repeat?

Newcastle's chant
    Don't take me home
    Please don't take me home
    I just don't want to go to work
    I wanna stay here
    Drink all the beer
    Please don't, please don't take me home
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcrZdSS7DFc
  • I see Wenger is at it again...
    Now asking Hodgson to take a gamble on Wilshere, who hasn't played a competitive game since June according to The Evening Standard.
    Take note Hodgson how he persuaded the England manager to take Walcott in lieu of Darren Bent to the Germany world cup. He made him out to be the new Pele.
    He only wants Wilshere to go because "it's very important for his confidence that he can go to the Euros".