Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton takeover with ground at Peninsular or no takeover?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Addickted said:
    Scoham said:
    The dream

What a sight to behold.

Not a single pothole in the car park.
    Despite a full stadium, there's also not a single car in the car park. So is it actually a car park?
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Scoham said:
    The dream

What a sight to behold.

and a full house and not a single car in the car park, potholes caused closure?
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Scoham said:
    The dream

What a sight to behold.

Despite a full stadium, there's also not a single car in the car park. So is it actually a car park?
    ..and someone's nicked the Bartram statue
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Scoham said:
    The dream

What a sight to behold.

It's in the future so everyone was dropped off by self driving cars and there is no car ownership. The next plan is to turn this space into an allotment for stadium food self sufficiency with a woodland to pay back for the carbon created in stadium construction.

• Options
    There's a load that can still be done with the Valley, and when that is exhausted, you look for a new ground, it won't be on the Penisula, you can try and find a site riverside in Charlton, or you end up moving to Plumstead/Thamesmead as there is still a lot of space there within Greenwich. 

Simple things like moving the office from the West Stand, and either building a separate office block or take that stuff to an office in the area, and you've got more space for commercial in the West Stand. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Scoham said:
    The dream

What a sight to behold.

It's in the future so everyone was dropped off by self driving cars and there is no car ownership. The next plan is to turn this space into an allotment for stadium food self sufficiency with a woodland to pay back for the carbon created in stadium construction.

It's because Michael Gliksten has taken back the car pack hence we will be moving again to Selhurst!!!!
  • Options

Another hypothetical question.  If they did redevelop the Jimmy Seed stand / open end and it was going to be larger than the covered end, single tier to improve the atmosphere, with safe standing, more room, better facilities, access to Valley Grove and Charlton Lane (so just as close to the station, closer to the village)  – would you be happy to swap ends and have away fans in the NW quadrant / half the  covered end?

• Options
    would love to see the SE and SW corners filled in with the JS stand expanded slightly, capacity of around 35-40k would be totally sufficient for some time. Stick away fans in the SW corner and have home fans behind the goal at that end as well and the place would be amazing
  • Options
    milo said:

Another hypothetical question.  If they did redevelop the Jimmy Seed stand / open end and it was going to be larger than the covered end, single tier to improve the atmosphere, with safe standing, more room, better facilities, access to Valley Grove and Charlton Lane (so just as close to the station, closer to the village)  – would you be happy to swap ends and have away fans in the NW quadrant / half the  covered end?

I would, but would probably be in a minority. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    milo said:

With a c40k capacity, we would only be obliged to give away fans 10%, or around 4k tickets. That would probably be an expanded lower tier of the Jimmy Seed stand.  In reality, while the CAFC fan base expanded, we may give some of the "bigger" clubs both tiers, or up to 10k seats per game. The problem is that currently, getting 10k people into that end of the ground is pretty much impossible using Harvey Gardens turnstiles, and so the old Sam Bartram entrance would be required, but this means a long walk for away fans, and also with limited access rights now (that we sold the house on the corner), is a major problem.
  • Options
     pulling our collective trousers down and asking fate to roger us senseless.

The new 'bumpy road'.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    milo said:

With a c40k capacity, we would only be obliged to give away fans 10%, or around 4k tickets. That would probably be an expanded lower tier of the Jimmy Seed stand.  In reality, while the CAFC fan base expanded, we may give some of the "bigger" clubs both tiers, or up to 10k seats per game. The problem is that currently, getting 10k people into that end of the ground is pretty much impossible using Harvey Gardens turnstiles, and so the old Sam Bartram entrance would be required, but this means a long walk for away fans, and also with limited access rights now (that we sold the house on the corner), is a major problem.
    This isn't a dig at you by the way but the old argument that away fans would have to walk the perimeter of the ground, that it's a long walk from the train station etc for me isn't valid.

There's plenty of grounds all over the country where the nearest train station is miles literally away from the ground and other grounds you can walk the whole perimeter of the ground, and while the South end of the stadium no doubt needs better accessibility, if we ever expanded The Valley to 40,000 the JS Stand must be reclaimed with away fans in the SW or SE corner.

The other question is that original plan was drawn up so long ago now, could we come up with a better plan now? For example I don't think a second tier on the East would make any sense, just knock down the current boxes, add the same number of rows intended for the top tier and rebuild the boxes on top. Better to have one big tier than a small five row tier for the sake of having a tier.
  • Options
    milo said:

I would imagine the police would have a say in that and it would not happen.
  • Options
    We struggled to sell out in the Premier before, many games still having tickets on the day.  To expand the ground to between 35-40K would be ample.

We do not need to move, and I am sure we won't.................for a very long time.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Doubt they will move the stadium tbh, seems pointless to spend all that money when ticket sales are not that important in the game these days, and there is room to expand where we are. 
    I don't imagine it's something in the plans for the next 5 years though. 
    I've had an exclusive preview of the plans and managed to take a quick snapshot of one of the pages:

#justsayin

Image result for The Float  Marina Bay

I think its one of the most obvious questions to be asked when a new owner is possibly on the horizon.

My answer is, to stay put in SE7, and redevelop, but I am a die hard traditionalist
    Millwall can have the North, West and South Stands.
    And a bloody good wash... the herberts!
  • Options
    We haven’t sold out a regular league game in years with our current capacity, there is no justification to be moving us to a bigger stadium or even increasing the capacity on the current one for quite some time.

And even if we did, we would never sell out 40-50k each week - even in the Premier League. Manchester City can’t even do it!
  • Options
    Off_it said:

It’s no surprise this thread got resurrected or who resurrected it.

Reminds me of my son. As soon as he gets something he wants he then immediately wants something else without enjoying the first thing for any length of time.

it seems that El Presidente has a new ground “itch” he just has to scratch, whilst most of us are just happy we’ve finally got rid of the last dose!
    Pres has always had a bee in his bonnet about this and anyone who disagrees is a luddite and an ostrich. 

The valley is such a big part of us that I dont ever want us to move. Thats before you even get to the point of why would you even need to?

if we get to the point where we need a bigger ground then my view would be - a small extention to the east stand with basically another row of corporate boxes added along the top. Beyond that the obvious thing to do is to rebuild the Jimmy Seed stand and fill in the corners again, with some corporate facilities added. No more needed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we were a successful prem team, regularly playing in Europe and finishing in the top 6 year after year, we would probably be able to attract 30-35k each week, I dont think we could get more then that even if we won the league. 
  • Options
    There is a bit of a weird arms race with London clubs and their stadiums, especially at the top end. Just get the Valley upto standard, expand where you can, and it's good enough for a long time to come 
  • Options
    Off_it said:

It’s no surprise this thread got resurrected or who resurrected it.

Reminds me of my son. As soon as he gets something he wants he then immediately wants something else without enjoying the first thing for any length of time.

it seems that El Presidente has a new ground “itch” he just has to scratch, whilst most of us are just happy we’ve finally got rid of the last dose!
    Pres has always had a bee in his bonnet about this and anyone who disagrees is a luddite and an ostrich. 

The valley is such a big part of us that I dont ever want us to move. Thats before you even get to the point of why would you even need to?

if we get to the point where we need a bigger ground then my view would be - a small extention to the east stand with basically another row of corporate boxes added along the top. Beyond that the obvious thing to do is to rebuild the Jimmy Seed stand and fill in the corners again, with some corporate facilities added. No more needed.
    I seem to recall each time East Stand development is raised someone like Airman says is now not possible due to the sale of some land immediately behind it. Previously we owned that which made the redevelopment/corner filling possible.

• Options
    I'm probably in the minority of older fans who wouldn't be against a move but the new ground would have to be clearly superior in many ways (capacity, sight line, facilities, location, transport, parking) to justify a move in my eyes.

It's not been mentioned, and as far as we know not even considered, so it is all a moot point to debate for a long time yet.  The takeover hasn't even been completed as yet and the Peninsula isn't an option. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Scoham said:
    The dream

What a sight to behold.

transport links must have improved, capacity crowd and not a single car in the car park ….
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Scoham said:
    The dream

What a sight to behold.

transport links must have improved, capacity crowd and not a single car in the car park ….
    It's during the next protests.

In order to get rid of ESI all fans are boycotting petrol, sourced in the UAE, and so using public transport
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Doubt they will move the stadium tbh, seems pointless to spend all that money when ticket sales are not that important in the game these days, and there is room to expand where we are. 
    I don't imagine it's something in the plans for the next 5 years though. 
    I've had an exclusive preview of the plans and managed to take a quick snapshot of one of the pages:

#justsayin

Image result for The Float  Marina Bay
    If you look closely enough you can just about see Sue Parkes in the red seats.