Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton takeover with ground at Peninsular or no takeover?

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    sam3110 said:
    If he wants to move us he'll have to move quickly, most of the Peninsula has been sold off and ready for development already
    How about a floating stadium? (firmly anchored to the south side of course).
    When Pompey were flying in the Prem some 10 years ago, they wanted to build a stadium next to Port Solent which jutted out into the Harbour.
    https://www.designbuild-network.com/projects/portsmouthstadium/
  • Options
    Dont think there is enough land left to build a stadium there.
    Lots.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    sam3110 said:
    If he wants to move us he'll have to move quickly, most of the Peninsula has been sold off and ready for development already
    When Pompey were flying in the Prem some 10 years ago, they wanted to build a stadium next to Port Solent which jutted out into the Harbour.
    https://www.designbuild-network.com/projects/portsmouthstadium/
    Problem is the Thames at Greenwich isn't that wide, certainly not as wide as the Solent!!

A half on half reclaimed could work. I'll get my architects on to it.
  • Options
    Sure Richard Cawley bombed this idea out already by saying they are not looking to move us 
  • Options
    Bubble said:
    Sure Richard Cawley bombed this idea out already by saying they are not looking to move us 
    Yet!

Seriously, we aint going nowhere. If (and a huge if) we become a top 6 side then maybe, just maybe, they could look to expand The Valley.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Bubble said:
    Yet!

Seriously, we aint going nowhere. If (and a huge if) we become a top 6 side then maybe, just maybe, they could look to expand The Valley.
    How do you know?
  • Options
    Lots.
    Where? Most of it appears to have been built on or is due to be built on. Curious where you expect it to be?
  • Options
    Lots.
    Where? Most of it appears to have been built on or is due to be built on. Curious where you expect it to be?
    For example, the current Golf driving range is designated as a temporary structure.
    There are other suitable areas around, mostly on west side.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Grapevine49 is on target as usual. They’re not going to build a stadium just to build a stadium. Now, if they get to the point where we could sell 50k tickets for every game, they’d have to consider it, but we’re a long way from there. 

More worrying, in my opinion, is that this thread has been resurrected for over an hour and not one fish pun. 
  • Options
    So, the takeover raises this question again.

If the guy taking us over is seriously minted and wants top level football, then he is likely gonna want to play in a stadium suitable for 50/60k you would think.
    The Peninsular is able to provide 1) a newer,younger fanbase 2) Ability for bigger corporate sponsorship from Canary Wharf 3) Much better transport facilities.

If this is what the takeover brings then I'd rather be without it. Why do you insist on this idea so much? 
  • Options
    Getting 15 chips in a portion is more of a priority 
    Don’t take the piss.

The most pressing issue is the mascot situation. 
  • Options
    As mentioned above, *every* bit of land on the Peninsula and has a plan for it. The gasholder site is earmarked for housing by the council; the Silvertown Tunnel will take a chunk of it too (roughly where the older, bigger gasholder used to be).

If you were being mischievious, you could suggest a move across Woolwich Road to the riverside, but developers and the council have bought up most of that now, with five major housing developments planned.
  • Options
    Wasn't there plans already drawn up to increase the ground back in our Premierships years ?   

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/articles/2008/03/06/greenwich_cafc_feature.shtml
  • Options
    As mentioned above, *every* bit of land on the Peninsula and has a plan for it. The gasholder site is earmarked for housing by the council; the Silvertown Tunnel will take a chunk of it too (roughly where the older, bigger gasholder used to be).

If you were being mischievious, you could suggest a move across Woolwich Road to the riverside, but developers and the council have bought up most of that now, with five major housing developments planned.
    I can't see any available land for a stadium on the Peninsula unless some of the existing plans are cancelled. There's nothing on the east side and most of the west side has been allocated.

We can expand our existing stadium and I can't see the need for much more capacity. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Not sure what they would do with The Valley because, as has been said before, access would be a nightmare, both during construction, then once there's an extra 400 / 500 / maybe far more people living there 

Edit *unless they could possibly stick some sort of underpass at Ransom Walk, but I still don't think the rest of the infrastructure could cope
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    sam3110 said:
    The game today is postponed because the anchorage has broken and the stadium is floating out in the Thames Estuary causing a hazard to shipping.  
  • Options
    They don't even need the extra capacity that much, given the amount of TV money. Remind me of Bournemouth's capacity again.

I think there would be a case for an extension which increases "prawn sandwich" capacity. Personally I would love to see an extension where in the open ends at the south are filled in. 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    bobmunro said:
    sam3110 said:
    The game today is postponed because the anchorage has broken and the stadium is floating out in the Thames Estuary causing a hazard to shipping.  
    Thank God we've got the Thames Barrier.
  • Options
    When we win the champions league we could knock the west stand down and build it twice as big  - with an underground car park !!!
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    When we win the champions league we could knock the west stand down and build it twice as big  - with an underground car park !!!
    And a bowling alley. Don’t forget the bowling alley.
  • Options
    Message to original poster - Why try to stir things up when there is no evidence to do so? 
  • Options
    Some people getting far too ahead of themselves