Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton takeover with ground at Peninsular or no takeover?

Comments

• Options
    I'm open minded. Would have to see/read a real proposal that outlined the expected benefits of a move, and what costs would be incurred to really have an informed opinion. Man City and Arsenal have successfully made stadium moves, so I wouldn't rule it out as an idea.
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

Since Friday 29th November 2013 and nearly 21 years since CAFC's return to SE7, The Valley is registered with Royal Borough of Greenwich as an Asset of Community Value (ACV)

The trust got this in place when it looked like Harris was going to sell the ground and move us .... Because of this Harris walked away

Basically it means that the ground can still be sold but it would need to go through a lot of hurdles to be given the green light one being The Trust and very time consuming ......

What's your point?
  • Options
    At risk of taking Colin seriously, the one bid which was substantive and definitely involved a move from the Valley, was not at all bothered by ACV. That's because it included a proper Charlton fan who understood what the Valley means to us, and therefore why the Trust had applied for ACV. He was confident that we could all have been persuaded, but he and the Arenacom guy were committed to persuading us, not just doing it. And I have to tell you, the Arenacom guy was dangerously persuasive.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
  • Options

At risk of taking Colin seriously, the one bid which was substantive and definitely involved a move from the Valley, was not at all bothered by ACV. That's because it included a proper Charlton fan who understood what the Valley means to us, and therefore why the Trust had applied for ACV. He was confident that we could all have been persuaded, but he and the Arenacom guy were committed to persuading us, not just doing it. And I have to tell you, the Arenacom guy was dangerously persuasive.

Having seen the deals for West Ham, and Manchester City to an extent, I wouldn't completely rule it out one day. I think it's inevitable it will happen eventually, as much as I hope we never leave The Valley.
  • Options

Man City and Arsenal have successfully made stadium moves, so I wouldn't rule it out as an idea.

Yes, because they are enormous clubs like Arsenal and Manchester City.

Not Charlton Athletic - bottom of the Championship.
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

Josh Harris wanted to move us to that area as part of his takeover but the trust put a block on the valley beimg redeveloped and he walked away to Palace and RD took us over .....

Funny how they don't mention that , when there planning protests against the owner they put in ??

hilarious, keep 'em coming, just where do you get them from?

• Options
    edited February 2016
    colin1961 said:

Since Friday 29th November 2013 and nearly 21 years since CAFC's return to SE7, The Valley is registered with Royal Borough of Greenwich as an Asset of Community Value (ACV)

The trust got this in place when it looked like Harris was going to sell the ground and move us .... Because of this Harris walked away

Basically it means that the ground can still be sold but it would need to go through a lot of hurdles to be given the green light one being The Trust and very time consuming ......

There are no hurdles in the context of a major scheme. There is a six month moratorium on a sale that would be swallowed up by the planning process in any event. At the end of the six months the developer does whatever they wanted in the first place on the same schedule as they always intended.

• Options
    cafctom said:

Man City and Arsenal have successfully made stadium moves, so I wouldn't rule it out as an idea.

Yes, because they are enormous clubs like Arsenal and Manchester City.

Not Charlton Athletic - bottom of the Championship.
    And what's to say a move, on a scale relative to Charlton and bottom of the championship, wouldn't also be successful? Difficult to say without actually seeing an actual proposal.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

colin1961 said:

There are no hurdles in the context of a major scheme. There is a six month moratorium on a sale that would be swallowed up by the planning process in any event. At the end of the six months the developer does whatever they wanted in the first place on the same schedule as they always intended.

Fair play for endurance Airman, sadly the lights are on but there's no one in you know :wink: .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:

colin1961 said:

Fair play for endurance Airman, sadly the lights are on but there's no one in you know :wink: .
    Apparently, God loves a trier...
  • Options
    Answering the question...the Valley always feels like home to me. I've watched us at Selhurst and Upton park and it was never the same but in those days we were the nomads. Like many others I longed for the Valley. My Grandad watched us (angrily!) at Catford. If we ever moved again I would support Charlton just as I did before but I am not sure if my heart would be in it. Many Millwall fans still speak fondly of the old Den and it will be interesting to see how west ham fans enjoy their new stadium. I hope they hate it!
  • Options

Having seen the deals for West Ham, and Manchester City to an extent, I wouldn't completely rule it out one day. I think it's inevitable it will happen eventually, as much as I hope we never leave The Valley.
    Prague is correct that the ACV which is in place would not have worried the bid , there would have been a consultation with fans and yes it would have tried to persuade everyone, like more money being brought into the club via naming rights to the stadium, premium advertising space and the stadium being not used just for football, property that would have been built , the figures for this would only stack up if the club was playing premier league football.
    Time as gone now on that bid but if there was another that wanted the move I would be up for it with the right people being involved.
  • Options
    My initial reaction is always hostility towards any move from the Valley not only because it is our home but also because I have never understood what benefit us fans would get from such a move.

We already have a fairly modern ground, one that could still be expanded to over thirty thousand if we ever needed that extra capacity so I just don't see the plus points for us fans for a move.

I am open to hearing reasons that would benefit us fans from those who have a better understanding of these things though as I obviously would like to see our club grow.
  • Options
    In the very long term, the development plans for the Charlton riverside should make The Valley a more viable option as there is some talk of improving transport links to/from North Greenwich (and Woolwich) - so capacity issues aside, a lot of the benefits of moving up there would actually be gained by staying put. (Morden Wharf is a bloody long schlep from North Greenwich - The Valley's actually better placed for public transport as it is.)

I've heard conspiracy theories about Millwall and Morden Wharf, but can't see that as a goer.
  • Options
    There's a massive difference between us or Brighton being turfed out of our grounds, and made to groundshare elsewhere to clubs moving to a new replacement ground.

A lot of clubs have relocated, Chelsea and Tottenham may be staying in the same location, but their new grounds won't retain any of the history of the old ones. Arsenal, Man City, Leicester, Soton, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Bolton, Huddersfield, Hull, Derby, Cardiff, Swansea amongst others all had much loved (by their fans) old grounds but have relocated successfully.

As it is, I can't see a move to Peninsula stacking up, 20 years ago it would have been cheap land, but surely not now? The Valley is hardly a prime location anyway for housing (unlike say Craven Cottage which was under threat during the 80s, or Loftus Road say).
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

Do fuck off Colin you utter cock.

• Options
    TBH, i'm fed up with being lidl 'ol Charlton , always the fall guys, the laughing stock, always fighting relegation, always at the whim of despots like RD.
    If something could be done to take us up a couple of levels and associate us as 'the' team for the Finance area of London,with the associated pots of dosh , then, putting it bluntly, stuff the heritage- i'll buy a house at The Valley!
  • Options
    Gumbo said:

cfgs said:

Gumbo said:

They've sold our sole so why not the ground

Not selling any part of my feet ;)
    Gumbo said:

They've sold our sole so why not the ground

Ffs soul
    R soul...........our sincere owner!
  • Options
    So, the takeover raises this question again.

If the guy taking us over is seriously minted and wants top level football, then he is likely gonna want to play in a stadium suitable for 50/60k you would think.
    The Peninsular is able to provide 1) a newer,younger fanbase 2) Ability for bigger corporate sponsorship from Canary Wharf 3) Much better transport facilities.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Peninsular is able to provide 1) a newer,younger fanbase‘

How do you work that out??
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    ‘The Peninsular is able to provide 1) a newer,younger fanbase‘

How do you work that out??
    There would be a whole new fanbase of workers (local and foreign) working in Canary Wharf looking for a club to support.
    Simples.
  • Options
    27000 is enough
  • Options
    Break out the pot noodles and the red bull!
  • Options
    Can't we just enjoy it for a week at the very least?
  • Options
    If he wants to move us he'll have to move quickly, most of the Peninsula has been sold off and ready for development already
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    If he wants to move us he'll have to move quickly, most of the Peninsula has been sold off and ready for development already
    How about a floating stadium? (firmly anchored to the south side of course).
  • Options
    Dont think there is enough land left to build a stadium there.