Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton takeover with ground at Peninsular or no takeover?

Comments

• Options

It’s no surprise this thread got resurrected or who resurrected it.

Reminds me of my son. As soon as he gets something he wants he then immediately wants something else without enjoying the first thing for any length of time.

it seems that El Presidente has a new ground “itch” he just has to scratch, whilst most of us are just happy we’ve finally got rid of the last dose!
  • Options
    Message to original poster - Why try to stir things up when there is no evidence to do so? 
    This thread is from 2016
    It was the OP who bumped it though 😉
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Some people getting far too ahead of themselves
    This thread is from 2016
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    DOUCHER said:
    When we win the champions league we could knock the west stand down and build it twice as big  - with an underground car park !!!
    And a bowling alley. Don’t forget the bowling alley.
    Don’t like ten pin bowling - ridiculous game - now a proper indoor bowls green, yes
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Message to original poster - Why try to stir things up when there is no evidence to do so? 
    This thread is from 2016
    Oh well if you just want to have a dig at the op, go for it

😉
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    RedChaser said:
    This thread is from 2016
    Oh well if you just want to have a dig at the op, go for it

😉
    I've got no axe to grind, it's an old chestnut that's been debated until the cows come home.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    bobmunro said:
    sam3110 said:
    If he wants to move us he'll have to move quickly, most of the Peninsula has been sold off and ready for development already
    How about a floating stadium? (firmly anchored to the south side of course).
    The game today is postponed because the anchorage has broken and the stadium is floating out in the Thames Estuary causing a hazard.....

• Options
    I miss Colin. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Wow, you lot are all so oversensitive.
    I was just asking a question ffs.

See you at The Peninsular in 2030 then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think its one of the most obvious questions to be asked when a new owner is possibly on the horizon.

My answer is, to stay put in SE7, and redevelop, but I am a die hard traditionalist
  • Options
    If we ever become a top Premier League team then there will be every need to have a much larger stadium. A few years near the top and 40-50,000 attendances would be achievable with lowish ticket prices. 

Personally I wouldn't want a new ground. I'd love a radical re-vamp of The Valley; Fill in the corners as the image above but go large on the safe standing; Lower Covered, Lower Seed and Lower West. That would be a bit like the old St James' Park or The Shelf at White Hart Lane.....superb for atmosphere. 

Reality is, we'll probably get taken off to a new ground somewhere shit.....
  • Options
    Having the valley completely inclosed with the corners filled in and recreating the old cover of the covered end would create a great atmosphere. Always loved the fact the pitch was below ground level which I thought always added to the atmosphere of it feeling like a bear pit.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    If we ever become a top Premier League team then there will be every need to have a much larger stadium. A few years near the top and 40-50,000 attendances would be achievable with lowish ticket prices. 

Personally I wouldn't want a new ground. I'd love a radical re-vamp of The Valley; Fill in the corners as the image above but go large on the safe standing; Lower Covered, Lower Seed and Lower West. That would be a bit like the old St James' Park or The Shelf at White Hart Lane.....superb for atmosphere. 

Given the way Premier League income is structured income from gate receipts will really not be that significant - Chelsea have managed without a large capacity.

I doubt we'd get much more than 30000 on a regular basis and the cost of building a new stadium would be collosal.

Just be happy to stay up this season.
  • Options
    Aarghh!!!!!!   Spelling police alert. It’s “peninsula” not bloody “peninsular”!!!!!!!!

And no I don’t want to go there. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

I can't see it personally. I think around 30000 is realistic and a full 30000 capacity ground would be better than a 50000 ground, with 30000 people in it. Especially if the 30000 capacity ground is the Clubs ancestral home
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Given the way Premier League income is structured income from gate receipts will really not be that significant - Chelsea have managed without a large capacity.

I doubt we'd get much more than 30000 on a regular basis and the cost of building a new stadium would be collosal.

Just be happy to stay up this season.
    We were selling out every week as a run of the mill Premier team. There is a massive catchment area in Kent for "Premier League" fans and there seem to be more foreign football tourists than ever. Rail links are better than they were then with trains from Beds/Herts coming direct to Charlton, whilst Crossrail (if it ever gets finished) would help boost the numbers. Even an increase of the away end's capacity would boost the numbers for Premier League games. 

I'll be well happy if we stayed up this season as there is a real possibility of relegation but that's another discussion. I guess we are talking here about Charlton's potential, whilst remaining at The Valley....or not. 
  • Options
    All we'd need to do is redevelop the JS and the corners, a couple of rows of boxes on top of the East Stand wouldn't go amiss either. Suspend the screen from the roof above the SE corner and throw another one up in the NW corner, put in some electronic hoardings and bigger dugouts and Bob's your Uncle
  • Options
    Would take the capacity up to 32-35k depending on how it's all laid out and would look and feel fantastic
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wow, you lot are all so oversensitive.
    I was just asking a question ffs.

See you at The Peninsular in 2030 then.
    It could be a multi-purpose ground so that the South East England Blitz could play in 'The 100' there too.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I cant see the new owners wanting to expand the Valley anytime soon. We would have to be back in the prem and regularly selling out for it to be considered. 

It would probably mean the the old plans would need to be reworked as well and all the planning permission starting from scratch which could take ages. 

Seeing a rebuilt south stand with filled corners would be amazing though, might even mean we can shove away fans in a corner and keep Charlton fans behind the goal. 
  • Options
    Not sure the East Stand can go higher now as there are 9/10 new houses built behind it?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Not sure the East Stand can go higher now as there are 9/10 new houses built behind it?
    You dont buy a house next to a airport then complain about the noise :wink:

• Options
    More worried about blocking out the light. 
  • Options
    Greenwich, as the planning authority, would agree nothing unless the club were re-located within the borough...not sure the GLA would either. It could end up being a Mayoral decision as a major redevelopment.

The issue is, then, where in Greenwich would the new owners propose?

In my opinion Morden Wharf is too small. There are few other sites that come to mind other than the existing training ground at Sparrows Lane, Eltham, where proposals are being made on adjoining sites to develop new housing. However, Sparrows Lane, though technically large enough, is a far less convenient location in terms of access and dealing with large crowds. Getting anything up and running there as a substitute for Floyd Road would take 10+ years in my view, even if you could get it consented.

The only other "option" is crashing completely out of the borough and relocating to somewhere in Kent. Which would take as long to accomplish and be just as controversial.

I think the default position will be we stay at Floyd Road and increase the capacity of the existing ground.
  • Options
    Doubt they will move the stadium tbh, seems pointless to spend all that money when ticket sales are not that important in the game these days, and there is room to expand where we are. 
    I don't imagine it's something in the plans for the next 5 years though. 
  • Options
    Those pointing at how many seats the Valley can be extended by are missing the point somewhat of most modern stadia. It's all about how much corporate hospitality you can squeeze in. Yes, extending the valley to 40k would likely be plenty of capacity for ordinary fans in the short to medium term but to ensure the club has a sound financial model then this has to be taken in conjunction with how much matchday corporate seating is available. I do feel however this is all a bit of a mott point, realistically by the time we are ready to expand the stadium then likelihood is there will be little to no space left on the peninsula, however it is an interesting debate for the future.