Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Roland Duchâtelet on... (Interview with CAFC Official)

Comments

• He seems to make claim to the women's team. I thought it was run by the Community Trust. The only picture of KM is with the Upbeats again run by the Community Trust.
  • Jose here for the long-term....right-o!
  • Well I listened to the interviews, and got the impression he is not interested in promotion to the premiership. From what he says about the future premiership football would get in the way, as it would make it impossible to rely academy players which is all he seems interested in.
  • msomerton said:

Well I listened to the interviews, and got the impression he is not interested in promotion to the premiership. From what he says about the future premiership football would get in the way, as it would make it impossible to rely academy players which is all he seems interested in.

Of course, he can pay smaller wages and sell these players on for the greatest profit (all of the money received is essentially profit). It reduces all costs and increases all income, add to that real estate profit. He think's he's onto a golden plan, but Football doesn't work like that. We as fans will disrupt it, and rightly so, it's just not going to work and the faster he realises it the quicker we can save OUR club.
  • edited February 2016
    First Video

Nothing new at all, absolutely zero. Here’s pretty much the key points for anyone interested as it isn’t worth wasting 8 minutes on.

- Katrine is still negotiating

- Acknowledged that scouting in England is required

- He understands that changing management has created instability - there were always reasons though. However, he hopes that Jose Riga is now the stability we need.

- Listed what a good head coach needs to possess - essentially reeled off everything that Karel Fraeye lacked.

- One of the key aspects he looks for in a head coach is the ability to work with youth - highlights Peeters attitudes towards youth as well as Luzon’s experience with the Israeli U21 team.

- Mentions the academy being a good feature for the youth of the community, and providing them something to work towards.

- Goes directly against Katrien’s previous quote regarding selling on to the Premier League, and explicitly says that should not be the aim; that the aim should be young players developed through the academy who should be playing here as long as possible.
  • edited February 2016
    Video Three

Mildly interesting 2:20 minutes; once again - nothing unexpected and it really just amounts to him both knowing about the protests and then sticking up for poor misunderstood Katrien.

- On protests: “Well I fully understand that they must be feeling miserable [like hell?*] and I can tell them the message has come through”

- We are trying to do our best to correct things, and will continue to do so”.

- With regards to the situation with Katrien, “I know her very well and I can tell the fans she’s a fantastic lady she has a very big heart”, is “certainly wasn’t her intention as she’s not that kind of person” if she offended anybody - however “in any case she did it for the best and a has a very very very big heart and loves Charlton [like us]”.

- ”I don’t have a big relationship with the fans because they don’t really know me.” - You don’t say?

* I think he said miserable like hell, but I’m not 100% sure.
  • For me he's basically reconfirming what we already knew, he has an alternative agenda.

Things will get worse, I'm sure of it.
  • Sponsored links:

• CAFCdamo said:

What I've realised is the "huh"s become more frequent and louder when he is lying.

Yes, I thought the same, huh.
  • edited February 2016
    Video Four

A bit more interesting, but worth a watch if only for the way he wiggles out of discussing Karel Fraeye. He acknowledges it was a mistake and then talks about how good a start Fraeye had made… and ultimately the lesson to be learnt from Fraeye’s tenure was actually that we need a larger squad. (Fraeye wasn’t inept, Diarra and Bauer getting injured was the issue..)

- On being a the bottom of the table: “Well it makes me feel extremely sad, like all of us, I didn’t anticipate it would ever come to this situation”.

- Mentions the twelfth man, and “we must forget about whatever things and we have to fight together.” (LOL, just as a picture of Richard Cawley is displayed.. didn’t realise he’d switched allegiance from Fulham and was interviewing Roland in his capacity as a Charlton Fan!)

- On what went wrong this season: "Initially it was quite good" - but then we got plagued with injuries, and we decided to replace Guy Luzon […] as we he had ran out of steam

- Bobby Peeters was also replaced after we had ”ran out of steam after six months”.

- Karel Fraeye however, never ran out of the steam. ”The appointment was a mistake, and I thought he would be ok. I think he did not too bad at the beginning. […] There was a major game where at half time we were leading nil 2”

- Whilst Karel was in charge we suffered injuries to both Bauer and Diarra, and the lessons to be learnt from this time was “we need a larger squad”… not that we need a better manager.

Roland actually displays some decent knowledge about the Bristol and Brighton matches, despite this he comes a bit unstuck on the claim that we need a larger squad; this directly contradicts his quote to the SLP.

• - We are trying to do our best to correct things, and will continue to do so”

Their best is not good enough...
  • edited February 2016

Again,

Saying all the right things such as should have kept Riga, Fraeye was a mistake, need a big squad from the start of the season.

But it's been two years. All this was evident in the summer of 2014, his first summer in charge, but nothing changed.

He speaks well but his actions just don't match his words.

Once upon a time someone said that Roland's reign would be a "bumpy ride" because he won't, and didn't, do things like other owners.

If he is going to REALLY change, to really take note and learn from his mistakes then maybe the bumpy ride might be over but words are cheap.

Bottom line Roland is that you bought the wrong club.

I agree and I genuinely think he does recognise many of the mistakes.

The big regret as you say, is many people were telling him this 2 years ago, including Chris Powell and he would not listen.

The biggest ongoing concern is that even if his strategy becomes better implemented and they recruit decent players, the underlying aim is to bring through even more Academy players.

Obviously he can't see that we are already playing them before they are ready and this will get worse.

I expect the reason that he's not planning for relegation, is he knows his plan.

Sell anyone he can and play the Academy. It doesn't take much planning.
  • He thinks there is constant dialogue with fans?
    He thinks we are potentially the best club in London? (Or does he mean nicest?)
    He wants us to enjoy ourselves.
    He may continue to improve the stadium.
    He does not have any say at all in team matters.
    He has so many other things to do, but he is always available.
    He is listening to the fans?

Not sure I can listen to much more of this...

Hooray - admits Fraeye was a mistake. But lots of excuses re injuries.

And in answer to the strategy question not a word on football ambition
  • I think we need to disrupt the academy plans, it's our only way of really hurting this mans ambitions aside halting any real estate plans.
  • "Bob Peeters had experience in the Championship , he was a major player"

Really Roland?
  • msomerton said:

Well I listened to the interviews, and got the impression he is not interested in promotion to the premiership. From what he says about the future premiership football would get in the way, as it would make it impossible to rely academy players which is all he seems interested in.

Indeed, he said absolutely nothing about getting to the Premier League, so I think we can all put that dream to bed whilst he is the owner.
  • edited February 2016
    Zero interest in the Football Club + end of + It is a façade.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thank you @luckyred for allowing me to be home half an hour earlier tonight.
  • rikofold said:

To be generous I don't think his plans for the academy are in any way a problem. Got a tour of the plans and the work to date at the VG meeting on Monday and it's all very impressive.

The issue is that he has no clue how to make the first team successful and most importantly it's not his priority. He seems to lack any grasp of English football culture. Most fans are here for the football only, but a meeting place or somewhere to hang out before and after. We have the pub for that. If the first team football isn't at the top of the list, everything else is pointless. End of.

Absolutely agree.

If the Academy was being developed and the new seats installed after the team had been strengthened properly, we'd all think he's OK.

However, his approach has proved that he's not. He's wrecking the club and really just doesn't care.
  • Through careful analysis, from what I can gather, "huh" means "right?"

Similar to American's use of "like" in every sentence when they don't mean "like".

That's about as much insight as I've got from all that.
  • edited February 2016
    Ha. At this juncture (0:41), he almost calls Katrien "the girl" before catching himself:

https://youtu.be/KzdjWjg1aJQ?t=41

Sexist pig.
  • Throughout all the films he's "eye blocking", closing his eyes for long periods of time when speaking........Talking Bullshit basically .
  • I thought he came over ok in the videos and am glad he did it. Got a long way to go but this is better communication and understanding than we've seen before. Forced on him probably but he stepped up. Still think his whole plan is crazy but glad that he is now out there defending it.
  • Forced myself to listen to the video regarding recruitment very carefully. He talked about what he felt was needed in a manager/head coach and why he picked the coaches since Chris Powell was sacked (although he did not mention Chris). He spoke about what he saw as the attributes of all of his choices but not why they were sacked (run out of steam I think was mentioned somewhere maybe in the other vids or the SLP extracts).
    He spoke about how Jose was successful in his last stint at Charlton and right after at approx. 5.35 he said, "In hindsight we have to say, okay, that maybe it was wrong to choose to have another coach at that point in time, it may be true but now, in any case we say Jose will be the man to help us and that's the way we have to go forward."
    I presume he meant a mistake not staying with Jose back then but, in any case I do not think that he admitted, in any way, a mistake in appointing any head coach, in this interview/statement anyway.
  • LoOkOuT said:

Through careful analysis, from what I can gather, "huh" means "right?"

Similar to American's use of "like" in every sentence when they don't mean "like".

That's about as much insight as I've got from all that.

Or maybe "huh" is code for "not" and he's just laughing at us.
  • Very wise for the club to split it into 4 videos, as they knew that supporters would be invoicing them for new laptops and computers where they could not stand listening to RD in one go and smashed up theirs in temper