Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Following Murrays Statement re Champioship players.....

Comments

• ColinTat said:

There were other potential buyers and what kicked the protests off to another level was the realisation that we had a recent potential buyer that the current owner wasn't interested in speaking to. So basically we have no reason to be grateful to the idiot and the argument that we might has been well and truly blown out of the water.

Yes potential buyers. There's always plenty of potential buyers. As far as I'm aware the only recent 'potential buyers' were the one's Varney tried to introduce, and he stated it was investment. Hopefully with Varney involved they're more reliable than many other bidders/investors. I'm not asking you to be grateful, equally initial talks is nowhere near proof that they want to invest anything like Duchatelet does and has. Under the previous owners we would have been relegated, if not 13-14 then definitely 14-15 season. Do we need a new owner? Yes. As for your assertion they're out there I'm pretty sure Jimenez would have married Dennis Wise if they'd asked him and offered anything near viable and legitimate terms.

If you kept up with the news you would know that it was confirmed to be a full takeover.
  • ColinTat said:

There were other potential buyers and what kicked the protests off to another level was the realisation that we had a recent potential buyer that the current owner wasn't interested in speaking to. So basically we have no reason to be grateful to the idiot and the argument that we might has been well and truly blown out of the water.

Yes potential buyers. There's always plenty of potential buyers. As far as I'm aware the only recent 'potential buyers' were the one's Varney tried to introduce, and he stated it was investment. Hopefully with Varney involved they're more reliable than many other bidders/investors. I'm not asking you to be grateful, equally initial talks is nowhere near proof that they want to invest anything like Duchatelet does and has. Under the previous owners we would have been relegated, if not 13-14 then definitely 14-15 season. Do we need a new owner? Yes. As for your assertion they're out there I'm pretty sure Jimenez would have married Dennis Wise if they'd asked him and offered anything near viable and legitimate terms.

If you kept up with the news you would know that it was confirmed to be a full takeover.
    By who?
  • edited February 2016
    Varney in his TV interview.

Something about the owner being unpopular and most fans wanting him out, Varney's people having lots of money, and about being able to do a deal that makes both fans and Roland happy.
  • ColinTat said:

With premier league aspirations behind it to boot.
  • Mackle said:

Varney in his TV interview.

Something about the owner being unpopular and most fans wanting him out, Varney's people having lots of money, and about being able to do a deal that makes both fans and Roland happy.

is there a link to it?
  • I don't have one to hand, but there must be one somewhere on this site.
  • Has he communicated better yet - only asking as I might have missed it!
  • http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35273686

I did a Google search for Peter Varney BBC, so this might be it.

It's ambiguous though, in that the word investment is used, but it sounds like a more of a takeover from the stuff about fans being unhappy.
  • Airman Brown confirmed it was regarding a full takeover.
  • ColinTat said:

By who?
    By the person who broke the story.
  • Sponsored links:

• Valcross said:

There is always a buyer providing the price is right. As has been said over and over RD has absolutely no interest in football whatsoever. His aim is to buck the trend and make money without necessarily spending much. By owning a network of clubs he can shuffle around players as he has done since he took over CAFC. He runs it like a chain of restaurants. His business model does not include getting us promoted to the premiership as this would cost far to much money recruiting backroom staff and players to achieve this. Aspiration is what it is an aspiration along with the other 91 league clubs. Also how can you showcase future prem players in the premiership. You need to hold on to them to survive therefore nothing to be gained there. His aim is to get the best talented youngsters that get an opportunity to play in the lower leagues instead of being lost in the reserves of the larger clubs. I heard the other day not sure if true or not that John Terry ( not as good as Chris Solly) was the last player to come out of The Chelsea youth set up.
    Roland will plod along ducking and diving, shuffling, bogus undisclosed amounts of payments between his restaurants avoiding paying taxes etc.
    Richard Murray stands by applauding him. Instead of standing with the majority of true Charlton fans.

I know it is only a handful of games, each but MacEchran and Loftus-Cheek were at Chelsea as 8 year olds

And then there is Kasey Palmer. Oh no, sorry
  • I am gobsmacked that we still don't have a full 100percent of supporters on board with the protests and the desire to see the back of Roland.
  • I am gobsmacked that we still don't have a full 100percent of supporters on board with the protests and the desire to see the back of Roland.

Still plenty of people who hold the view we would have folded without Duchatelet, and will still not see a problem if we go down.

These people do not have a clue.

I have been of the opinion since the Peeters/Luzon fiasco that the football has been secondary and Duchatelet has put this club back 20 years.
  • Some people hold the view because they think it makes them look pragmatic and clever, when of course it simply exposes the fact that they are not up to date with events and announcements. Not a crime, but they ought to change their view when the evidence is presented.
  • Some people hold the view because they think it makes them look pragmatic and clever, when of course it simply exposes the fact that they are not up to date with events and announcements. Not a crime, but they ought to change their view when the evidence is presented.

I am fully aware of the Varney emails and their content but where are these investors now, why are they not putting pressure on RD by coming forward making statements of intent. It's all hear say until they step forward.

I am fully aware of the Varney emails and their content but where are these investors now, why are they not putting pressure on RD by coming forward making statements of intent. It's all hear say until they step forward.
    Have you answered the emails Katrien?

Still plenty of people who hold the view we would have folded without Duchatelet, and will still not see a problem if we go down.

I have been of the opinion since the Peeters/Luzon fiasco that the football has been secondary and Duchatelet has put this club back 20 years.
    Tell us your plan for replacing RD

If only we could go back 20 years we would still have the premier league years to look forward to

A lot of people at all clubs turn up to watch football and their commitment stops there. They check signings but that's about it. Nothing wrong with that, but they are not going to suddenly become passionate about what is happening behind the scenes.

We have to respect the views of those who chose to stand by and those who actually think we are wrong and RD is the best we can hope for. We are convinced we are right, but I guess that doesn't mean we are!!
  • Not too much thought about who is right is needed.
    KM insults supporters, lies about appointments
    RD imposes unsuitable players and managers.
    We are bottom of the league!
  • Sponsored links:

Because when they turn up as the new owners of Millwall they don't want people to know that was their second choice.

Because when they turn up as the new owners of Millwall they don't want people to know that was their second choice.
    That is the logical explanation and the one I would like to believe and that is good enough for me

They do not have come out in person but at least their representatives could come forward and demonstrate their clients aspirations and provide some vague indications of their intentions should they take the club over and assurances that they have the funds to follow these through. Since the Varney email saga there has been nothing!

They do not have come out in person but at least their representatives could come forward and demonstrate their clients aspirations and provide some vague indications of their intentions should they take the club over and assurances that they have the funds to follow these through. Since the Varney email saga there has been nothing!
    Why would they bother? Just for your benefit?
  • edited February 2016

On January 6th, Varney offered RD a meeting in Belgium with the investors. He turned that down in a response on January 10th on the basis that he is not interested in selling the club and receives many such approaches.

That being the case they are likely to talk to other London clubs, few of which are likely to be available, if you think about it.

If you take the Murray line with the Belgians that Varney is a time waster, despite years of evidence to the contrary, then you may conclude there was and is nothing in this approach. Personally, I don't see why they should be interested in selling themselves to us.

My understanding from Varney is that they want to buy a London club and take it into the Premier League, and that they have the resources to do that. It's us that need it to be Charlton. If Charlton is not for sale and another club, which they find acceptable, is, that's where they will go.

And how anybody can fail not to be livid by this is beyond me. Given what punishment the owner and his cronies have and continue to put us through. Maybe they have a difficulty accepting they are wrong!
  • Oh good, Millwall and Palace both in the Premier League then. Cheers Roland.
  • On January 6th, Varney offered RD a meeting in Belgium with the investors. He turned that down in a response on January 10th on the basis that he is not interested in selling the club and receives many such approaches.

That being the case they are likely to talk to other London clubs, few of which are likely to be available, if you think about it.

If you take the Murray line with the Belgians that Varney is a time waster, despite years of evidence to the contrary, then you may conclude there was and is nothing in this approach. Personally, I don't see why they should be interested in selling themselves to us.

My understanding from Varney is that they want to buy a London club and take it into the Premier League, and that they have the resources to do that. It's us that need it to be Charlton. If Charlton is not for sale and another club, which they find acceptable, is, that's where they will go.

Airman I was unaware of this further approach and the investors intentions, has this information been made public before?
    This is exactly the kind of information that disgruntled but cautious fans like me need to know to convince us to fully commit to the protests.
    Perhaps undisclosed dialogue between CARD and the investors will help to maintain their interest I.e. Keep the potential investors abreast of the protest developments and that there is hope that RD will succumb to forced change and sell up.
    As much positive takeover information as is available should be made common knowledge via as many channels as possible.
    More than happy for RD out if there is a better option.
  • Everybody can see how toxic it has become here - not even considering a potential opportunity to recoup or make money suggests that all of our fears about Duchatelet are correct. Why is he doing it? Because he can. Anybody who applied logic and business acumen would take the opportunity to exit. But he is a complete bastard. He is a coward too as he just hides away and lets an ignorant young woman to do his dirty work for him. Anybody who wants to defend him on here ought to take a look at themselves. He is killing our club FFS!

He's doing it because he has a half baked idea on how football clubs should operate, and doesn't care about making money from selling a club that is already part of his network.

They say that time is money, so how long would it take to buy another club and integrate them in to his network? And what are the chances of finding an academy that has the potential (and catchment area) that ours does?

Strapix, a conglomerate of football clubs.