Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Following Murrays Statement re Champioship players.....

Comments

• Blinkant said:

This is also what I think he is trying to do.

He can see the money in producing young English players and selling them on and I'm sure it is easier to field a 18 year old and highlight how good they are in league 2 than in the championship.

If we stay up, it's because of how good our young players are and they are straight in the shop window. If we go down, it just means the league is easier for more youth players to come in.

And all the debt is being tied to the club so if this doesn't work out, he can sell the ground for housing and he hasn't lost anything.

It's a no lose situation for him and we the fans, sorry customers lose everything.

I suggested a similar thing a few months ago, it makes sense to me. Well makes sense if your Roland
  • The reason Murray stays at the club, he maintains, is that if he didn't, then nobody there would have a link with the past / be able to keep an eye on what is going on - and at the moment, its to his detriment but he is a fan and thinks it better for the club that he stays. His money is ring fenced so it isn't for that reason. In a nutshell, we have an owner who doesn't want to use agents and believes that is the future - along with the academy. There is some merit in this but is the consequence of trying to buck the system going to be relegation and will this become a long term position as well? Murray is also anti agents and understands the impossibility of competing with the obscene amount of money in the prem league. This is it in a nutshell - there is no hidden agenda. If it were working and we weren't in danger (every year) of relegation then I think I'd be all for it. Unfortunately, if you are a visionary and it works then great, if not you are seen as mad and need to be got rid of. In my opinion, agents are now a part of football and all the best footballers are going to have one - why wouldn't you? and I'm sure we will have trouble producing top academy talent if they are banned from having agents as well. The system is what it is and to try and buck it is going to see us down and down for a long time in my opinion. The alternative? Who knows but I think most who come into football accept, and always have done, that it will cost them money but its the fact that nobody else was willing to step forward 3 years ago that is the real problem and I still don't believe the Varney thing - I wished it was true and the person had stepped out of the shadows but he didn't so that can be forgotten - in my opinion.

This window was crap (other than signing Rod Fanni which gave us a chuckle) and next year looks like being an utter disaster and one I won't sign up to in the hope that it helps convince the owners to show real change or sell up.

• jdsd42 said:

Murray is taking the money .....that's all he is doing ..whatever he says now is to late.

He has made his bed and lying it ..

I reckon though he still has one big pay-out to come .

Murray isn't paid to be chairman. He is owed £2.5m or thereabouts, part of £7m due to the old board but not accruing interest and only payable on promotion, winding-up or sale.
    To think Murray used to have a good relationship with Varney and the meeting between Varney and dushithead never even took place about a possible buyer seems incredulous.

What is Murray's actual role and, presumably, was aware of the approach. It seems very odd...

• Murray is standing guard over his dead investment with absolutely no ability to influence it. I think he knows how badly things are going... but if he wants any money back he has to pretend and toe the party line. You know what, in his position, sadly I'd probably do the same - he's trapped.

Now he knows he no longer has any credibility with fans, all he can do is sit in the boardroom and wait for his money to disappear into League 1.
  • DOUCHER said:

The reason Murray stays at the club, he maintains, is that if he didn't, then nobody there would have a link with the past / be able to keep an eye on what is going on

That's the kind of logic every tin-pot third world dictator uses for clinging on to power long after they have passed their sell-by date.

• Much as I loathe him, all he stands for and all his puppets, I cannot believe RD bought the club to run it down just to get a slab of land in SE7. In terms of retunr on capital it's already a lousy investment if that was the case, plus there is no guarantee he could develop given the status of the land.

I still suspect it is a simple case of a rich man, his ego, and slavish yes-men around him who won't tell him he's barking up the wrong tree.

As for Murray. It can't be because he loves milking the adoration of the CAFC faithful. Or that he enjoys the quality football on offer. Or simply that he loves the club, or he wouldn't spout the lies he has been of late. So either it's a financial decision, or he is in thrall to Katrien, or he's going ga-ga.
  • edited February 2016
    Of course Duchatetlet did/does not plan to get relegated, the same as he planned for his political party to win elections in Belgium. The problem is, he has made his fortune and has the money to play around with his silly theories which are fundamentally flawed. That a new type of politics is needed, well he is probably right – but it is the detail that catches the moron out. The trust printed an interview with him about his political party and whilst some people questioned what it had to do with football, they missed the point. The interview showed he was living in cloud cuckoo land which is entirely relevant to us. When it comes to football – aiming for a sustainable club feels right, but the way he recruits managers and players is crazy. Like him ultimately, and we are the poor mugs he decided to inflict himself on.
  • I wonder if they have realised yet that there is likely to be less of a draw to the academy of a club in League 1 for the better quality young players. It's quite easy to see the ""unique fan experience" of watching the stars of the future being sold on to the Premier League wither on the vine as we descend through the leagues.
  • I suspect there will still be a draw-maybe a bigger one as it might be easier to get into the first team - it is just they won't get so much for them - which I thought was the point.
  • So who else was around to put 6-8 million a year into the club to allow it to operate? I haven't seen accounts for a while and wouldn't be surprised if we lose even more. Whilst the strategy might be risible in comparison with how Brentford have implemented a more coherent strategy based around stats and mainly europe wide scouting.

Much as I was fuming with Murray in the 07-08 season, even then I recognised he was dedicated to the club. On both occasions the club was sold in recent years it was crucial someone was brought in with access to finances. Whilst honourable that Varney wanted to introduce Middle Eastern investment, we're just about at the same financial cycle as 2008's collapsing Dubai bid. Maybe Kuwaiti finance might not disappear faster than a bottle of Jack Walker on a fake sheiks plane. Murray knows how desperate we were for cash on both occasions. Frankly everyone criticising him, should contemplate both the personal and collective dread he'd have of the club going into bankruptcy and facing a Pompey blowup.

Yes the strategy is catastrophic. There's been plenty of people and investment in football that's done that. Pretty much most of them with good intentions. So know we have someone who trys to be more methodical, shame the method lacks an assesment on previous teams who've gone up under a budget.
  • Sponsored links:

• The closing of stands rumour seems to be gathering wind, heard it a few times outside of CL. I did hear one a while back that KM raised the question of re-naming the Jimmy Seed stand with an advertisement brand... people didn't take the suggestion serious, although I'm pretty damn sure she was being serious at the time!

I heard someone mention similar about renaming the Jimmy Seed stand - I think it was on twitter yesterday, and the company in question was bet888? I didn't think anything of it, but if it was true it would be wrong on so many levels.
  • Murray is standing guard over his dead investment with absolutely no ability to influence it. I think he knows how badly things are going... but if he wants any money back he has to pretend and toe the party line. You know what, in his position, sadly I'd probably do the same - he's trapped.

Now he knows he no longer has any credibility with fans, all he can do is sit in the boardroom and wait for his money to disappear into League 1.

I would've thought his investment was secured regardless of his position on the board? I always assumed this was the case.

• There were other potential buyers and what kicked the protests off to another level was the realisation that we had a recent potential buyer that the current owner wasn't interested in speaking to. So basically we have no reason to be grateful to the idiot and the argument that we might has been well and truly blown out of the water.

Yes potential buyers. There's always plenty of potential buyers. As far as I'm aware the only recent 'potential buyers' were the one's Varney tried to introduce, and he stated it was investment. Hopefully with Varney involved they're more reliable than many other bidders/investors. I'm not asking you to be grateful, equally initial talks is nowhere near proof that they want to invest anything like Duchatelet does and has. Under the previous owners we would have been relegated, if not 13-14 then definitely 14-15 season. Do we need a new owner? Yes. As for your assertion they're out there I'm pretty sure Jimenez would have married Dennis Wise if they'd asked him and offered anything near viable and legitimate terms.

• But hasn't our fragrant and lovely CEO herself mentioned that the regime are regularly approached by potential buyers? And butter wouldn't melt in her mouth.....
  • LuckyReds said:

The closing of stands rumour seems to be gathering wind, heard it a few times outside of CL. I did hear one a while back that KM raised the question of re-naming the Jimmy Seed stand with an advertisement brand... people didn't take the suggestion serious, although I'm pretty damn sure she was being serious at the time!

I heard someone mention similar about renaming the Jimmy Seed stand - I think it was on twitter yesterday, and the company in question was bet888? I didn't think anything of it, but if it was true it would be wrong on so many levels.
    I struggle to think even she would be so stupid. That we can even think she might do it only shows how little regard anyone has for her business skills.
  • edited February 2016
    Croydon said:

ColinTat said:

There were other potential buyers and what kicked the protests off to another level was the realisation that we had a recent potential buyer that the current owner wasn't interested in speaking to. So basically we have no reason to be grateful to the idiot and the argument that we might has been well and truly blown out of the water.

Yes potential buyers. There's always plenty of potential buyers. As far as I'm aware the only recent 'potential buyers' were the one's Varney tried to introduce, and he stated it was investment. Hopefully with Varney involved they're more reliable than many other bidders/investors. I'm not asking you to be grateful, equally initial talks is nowhere near proof that they want to invest anything like Duchatelet does and has. Under the previous owners we would have been relegated, if not 13-14 then definitely 14-15 season. Do we need a new owner? Yes. As for your assertion they're out there I'm pretty sure Jimenez would have married Dennis Wise if they'd asked him and offered anything near viable and legitimate terms.

Christ, I can't believe that there are still people peddling this 'who else' argument.

Afraid so mate and so it will be. They're entitled to their views but there's none so blind as those who will not see :disappointed:
  • edited February 2016
    Either RD wants us to stay up and is an incompetent fool, or he knows what he is doing and is happy to see us relegated. Without strong evidence to the contrary I always back the cock-up option against the conspiracy theory. I hope I'm right in this case but things have got petty bad when you're hoping the owner is an incompetent fool.
  • ColinTat said:

There were other potential buyers and what kicked the protests off to another level was the realisation that we had a recent potential buyer that the current owner wasn't interested in speaking to. So basically we have no reason to be grateful to the idiot and the argument that we might has been well and truly blown out of the water.

Ok, are you trying to tell me we wouldn't have a club had Duchatelet not taken over. If you are, that is nonsense - sorry.
  • Sponsored links:

• Still a fan of the cock up over the conspiracy theory. Plan A was being smarter than everyone else and getting promoted off the back of leveraging the network and the academy. Clearly it isn't working, and, although I think he's still largely in denial, (as is RM), we're starting to see the early moves on is contingency plans.

Plan B - most of the 'investment' is debt, he can sell players and maybe there's some mitigation in a property deal. In that light, the transfer window looks like him managing his out-goings. But he'll do the deals to sell players this year - while they're still fresh in the Championship window.
  • I think plan A was RD thinking they could be smarter than everyone else. The execution of the plan has been totally inept and key positions filled with incompetent people.

With the utter and total failure of plan A in the Championship, there is a risk of trying the same plan, poorly executed plan in league one.

With the failure of Plan A, Duchatelet may try different plan B's to get some of his money back. RD may try to diversify and broaden his income stream from non footballing activities at the ground. This he hopes will keep Plan A alive in his brain.

Trouble is, that the football side of things is so ineptly run, that other activities will never remotely deal with the level of football losses. Duchatelet hates losing money. In the end, the writing will be on the wall and he will sell up. RD will want to present his time at Charlton as a success and will claim that he has brought stability to the club.

It will be interesting to see how he runs his end game.
  • ColinTat said:

Ok, are you trying to tell me we wouldn't have a club had Duchatelet not taken over. If you are, that is nonsense - sorry.
    Why nonsense ?
    Provide us with any proof that their is a buyer out there prepared to bank roll the losses this club makes each year, invest further funds to build a new squad and complete the training ground redevelopment. If you do I will be right along side you protesting and waiving a black and white scarf in the air shouting Roland out.
    Until this proof is provide I believe it is far better to press RD for change. This can be done by the threat of boycotting season ticket renewals, if the threat fails just don't renew until he does change his methods. This way there is a real threat to his income stream and it doesn't have the potential of distracting the playing squad from the task of keeping us in the Championship.
  • There is always a buyer providing the price is right. As has been said over and over RD has absolutely no interest in football whatsoever. His aim is to buck the trend and make money without necessarily spending much. By owning a network of clubs he can shuffle around players as he has done since he took over CAFC. He runs it like a chain of restaurants. His business model does not include getting us promoted to the premiership as this would cost far to much money recruiting backroom staff and players to achieve this. Aspiration is what it is an aspiration along with the other 91 league clubs. Also how can you showcase future prem players in the premiership. You need to hold on to them to survive therefore nothing to be gained there. His aim is to get the best talented youngsters that get an opportunity to play in the lower leagues instead of being lost in the reserves of the larger clubs. I heard the other day not sure if true or not that John Terry ( not as good as Chris Solly) was the last player to come out of The Chelsea youth set up.
    Roland will plod along ducking and diving, shuffling, bogus undisclosed amounts of payments between his restaurants avoiding paying taxes etc.
    Richard Murray stands by applauding him. Instead of standing with the majority of true Charlton fans.
  • ColinTat said:

Why nonsense ?
    Provide us with any proof that their is a buyer out there prepared to bank roll the losses this club makes each year, invest further funds to build a new squad and complete the training ground redevelopment. If you do I will be right along side you protesting and waiving a black and white scarf in the air shouting Roland out.
    Until this proof is provide I believe it is far better to press RD for change. This can be done by the threat of boycotting season ticket renewals, if the threat fails just don't renew until he does change his methods. This way there is a real threat to his income stream and it doesn't have the potential of distracting the playing squad from the task of keeping us in the Championship.
    Is your idea, wait until the end of the season, don't make a fuss, just quietly don't renew your season ticket and hope that changes his mind?

While we are in League One and The Jimmy Seed Stand is sponsored by Dixie Fried Chicken.
  • Murray has lost a huge amount of credibility, even his "Muzza" tag has now been replaced with a dog tag.

It makes you wonder what he actually does at the club. The last time he had any dialog with the fans was the meeting KM coined the 2% quote. Then we had that over-hyped "club statement" re-hashing the same old tripe.

Since then there's been at least one Fans Forum meeting and even Target 20k meetings he could even have attended as a club representative given all his experience and overseeing a successful decade or so at the club and providing a link between the board and the fans but no, too busy doing whatever Murray does these days.
  • ColinTat said:

It was a takeover.
  • ColinTat said:

Why nonsense ?
    Is your idea, wait until the end of the season, don't make a fuss, just quietly don't renew your season ticket and hope that changes his mind?

While we are in League One and The Jimmy Seed Stand is sponsored by Dixie Fried Chicken.
    Has protesting achieved anything yet, I didn't see a marked change in the transfer policy this January. The crunch point will come towards the summer If they realise that vast majority of the fans are turning their backs on them until tangible change is made.
    Focus your efforts on getting this message across.
    When RD realises that his plan will result in an empty stadium he will either change course or sell up.
  • ColinTat said:

Why nonsense ?

Has protesting achieved anything yet, I didn't see a marked change in the transfer policy this January. The crunch point will come towards the summer If they realise that vast majority of the fans are turning their backs on them until tangible change is made.
    Focus your efforts on getting this message across.
    When RD realises that his plan will result in an empty stadium he will either change course or sell up.
    Understood. And best of luck to you.
    But I think not renewing is just one tiny part of what we can and should be doing.