Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So who's the worst left back at Charlton in your time as a fan

1235»

Comments

• The Peter Shaw is a Winker, is still one of the most disgusting things i've heard from CAFC people at the valley against one of their own. It just confirmed that when people are in a crowd most of them are sheep.
    That's coming from someone who will be in the middle of the chants in away games, but i'm selective in chants i join in with.
    I love the humourous, more than the outwardly vile chants or songs.

It always said more about the chanter than the recipient.

• se9addick said:

Was Grant Basey a left back ?

When he managed to get back im position yes.
  • I do think it's worth pointing out that neither of our full backs gets any protection whatsoever from our "wide" midfielders.
    Solly probably copes better because he has more nous and experience and the inner belief of a 2 time POTY, and is a better player, whereas Fox is more limited, has never really won over the fans and is becoming worn down trying to prove himself.
    Bergdych seemed to spend a lot of time tucked in yesterday, leaving Fox cruelly exposed with no options.
    He is probably better than he currently appears, but I don't think we will ever find out now, I fear he has been judged and found wanting.
  • Bloody he'll we have had some poor left backs over the years. One I remember from the early seventies was Dietmar Bruck.
  • Traore all day long - from his sending off on his debut, to a season of woe.
  • Bloody he'll we have had some poor left backs over the years. One I remember from the early seventies was Dietmar Bruck.

We've also had some pretty good ones too. From "my era" Mark Reid, Scott Minto, Mark Bowen, Chris Powell, Konch, HH

For that matter, didn't Carl Jenkinson make his debut for us at LB?
  • Magic Morts also played at left back for a while, still one of the most talented CAFC players I have seen.

You also missed out good old Anthony Barness, who was good enough to play in the PL for both Chelsea, Bolton and ourselves.

Though my abiding memory of Barney was his spectacular lobbed own goal against Grimsby at Upton Park in circa 1991.

We've also had some pretty good ones too. From "my era" Mark Reid, Scott Minto, Mark Bowen, Chris Powell, Konch, HH

For that matter, didn't Carl Jenkinson make his debut for us at LB?
    My favourite was always Phil Warman. When he was sold to Millwall I was gutted.
  • Magic Morts also played at left back for a while, still one of the most talented CAFC players I have seen.

You also missed out good old Anthony Barness, who was good enough to play in the PL for both Chelsea, Bolton and ourselves.

Though my abiding memory of Barney was his spectacular lobbed own goal against Grimsby at Upton Park in circa 1991.

Forgot about Barney, ironic that he was sold to Chelsea 2 years before Minto was also sold to Chelsea...

And yes, that was a classic! Around the 1:50 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4CjIkrSqHY&feature=related

• Sponsored links:

• edited February 2016
    It wasn't that long ago that we had a manager who thought our left backs were so bad he needed to pick three of them in one team....

Edit: And one on the bench
  • edited February 2016
    The kids tries and puts it all in and that's all he can do
    I don't think he has it and I did think there was a player in Simon Francis but Fox's treatment was disgraceful on Saturday
    But I can understand the pure frustration of how pathetic a club we have become when pony players are basically guaranteed regulars and unfortunately he will be number one target because he is one of the worst out there regularly
    I'm a mere pup been going since 1976/7 season and we only had one season in divison 3(since I began watching) up until recently and soon we will be having our 4th in less than ten and that coming so soon after feasting at the top table is probably why a lot of our fans are going officer dibble with some of our players , doesn't make it right but it's easy to say don't berate slag em off when you are not actually there watching the tenth fuck up of a pass in 15 attempts by the same limited player

• He is being found out for his inability to go forward and take a player on, I think he will go on to have decent career as a centre half.
  • edited February 2016
    I'm sorry for Fox. As some have said, he's been hung out to dry by incompetent managers and a bonkers strategy that will ruin better players than Morgan. All of that though can't betray the fact that he is simply not up to championship football. He should be spared the ordeal and sent out to somewhere at his level. For me that's dartford but I'm prepared to accept that I may be being a little unkind.

PS. The answer to the original question is Seabourne. Hilarious performance.
  • Harry Cripps.
  • edited February 2016
    These days full-backs seemed to be judged more on whether they can bomb forward than whether they can defend. Fox defended ok on Saturday (a couple of pretty good clearances for corners being an example) but is very limited going forward. In a team that struggles at home for penetration, Fox's lack of forward drive is always going to be highlighted.

All of the "poor" left-backs we've mentioned in the thread, were probably not too bad defensively but lacked in the attacking sense.

I think most football fans tend to forgive a full-back for defensive frailties if a) they bomb forward a lot and b) their team is winning!

I wonder if Rod Fanni can play left-back? French international....you would think he might be able to do it.
  • I too feel for Fox I have often wondered given the choice between a full back who can defend but is not great going forward or the opposite i.e. good going forward but not a great defender I would take the former all day long. However the main problem I see with Fox is lack of pace he gets done too easily so stands too far off and gives the attacker too much room. As for going forward, again the lack of pace is the issue so his delivery is really a bit hit and miss. This is a player who is getting close to zero confidence and it shows.

As for the worst I would say there have been a few but Traore was defintely one of them
  • Djimi Traore or Zak Birdshit
  • edited February 2016
    Morgan fox is good/decent in the air.
    Good engine but lacks speed.
    Saw him play CB on a couple of occasions in U21's and thought that might be his best position.
    We have a team of CB again so not sure if he will get in anytime soon.

Can someone in the know tell me why our full backs struggle to get tight to the wide players compared to the opposition full back and mid field, when we try to go wide.
    Rhoys Wiggins said under Peeters they were told(the full backs)
    to keep quite tight to the CB's; Why ?

This hasn't changed since; the amount of times that Solly or fox get dragged into the middle and any decent playmaker can switch the play to the other side were the oppo's have oceans of room for their cross.

Can Tutt-Tutt please explain that to me, or anyone else.

I have been studying tactics since i was knee high to a grasshopper but can't work this one out ?

I remember us doing a good job on a wide man when Antonio (now West Ham) was at Forest last season, we struggled 1st half when Harriott and Wilson let him cut in on his right foot from the left wing and he scored a cracker. so in the 2nd half, Gomez and Bulot marked him tight and the game swang in our favour with the help of Tony Watt.
  • Barness was pretty good as well
  • Sponsored links:

• Yun Suk Young.