Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So who's the worst left back at Charlton in your time as a fan

Comments

• edited February 2016
    I'm not sure how many of Fox's 69 appearances for us you've seen @nth london addick but I reckon I've watched two thirds of them. A lot of what you say about him being brought on too soon in his career, not protected by his managers or teammates etc holds some water but it's all about opinions. In mine and certainly that of @dickplumb he is just not good enough as a left back at this level. You need to have the ability to carry the ball forward from full back these days and he just isn't comfortable on the ball, not surprising for a converted youth team CB.

Ironically cheering him or groaning at his every mistake does not help and I don't agree with it but it's nothing new, trust me, I can relate back to the 60's. What's the answer? I really don't know maybe if we get relegated he will find his level but I wouldn't be surprised and I had nothing to do with it I would hasten to add, if he plays against Cardiff, they either target him or force the play down his flank because if they lose possession we will create nothing from it.
  • Bessone (sp)?
  • Fox allday long not far off alltime worst player and im not jokeing.bad from the first min yes bye leting the ball roll out.
  • The Konchesky suggestion can't be serious, surely? Bit controversial but, as a left back, I'd have Jacko near the top of the list. He got regularly skinned for pace and never looked comfortable. Really don't know why Parkinson played him there.
  • cazo said:

Fox allday long not far off alltime worst player and im not jokeing.bad from the first min yes bye leting the ball roll out.

Eh?
  • edited February 2016
    The answer is Djimi Traore
    /discussion
  • Every time I think of Traore I always think of that bloody foul that never was v Fulham. That's what kick started all of this.
  • Completely agree.

Never one to moan at the match, but opinions on a message board are a lot different.

Train your right peg Morgan!

Let's take Solly. A player who can control and pass with his wrong un, makes a huge difference to the perception and effect of his good un!

I've seen MF run round the ball because he Can't trap it with his right. And you be doing that in professional football.

Solly is also really aggressive in his play. He wants to defend, he will throw himself in when a bit of thunder is needed because the match is getting spicy. Fox doesn't have that nasty streak but then doesn't have any silk or finesse to balance out his lack if aggression.

• Sponsored links:

• edited February 2016
    I am not defending him as a player or his ability my point is the treatment recieved of him and other players during the game its self, posting on the Internet after a game is fair point, and acceptable fully,

However the call to Arms against the regime is to support the team not the regime booing, heckling, mocking every decent touch with cheers is not supporting the team

Fox may well win the poll for worst player ever but our fan base wouldnt win many polls with the way it within the stadium treats its players and certainly not ones we grow ourselves, we never used to do that, and thats my point not the merits of the individual
  • edited February 2016
    LenGlover said:

Boysie said:

Paul Curtis

Right back predominantly.
    My old age blurring my memory. Never was a big fan of Curtis, though.
  • edited February 2016

I am not defending him as a player or his ability my point is the treatment recieved of him and other players during the game its self, posting on the Internet after a game is fair point, and acceptable fully,

However the call to Arms against the regime is to support the team not the regime booing, heckling, mocking every decent touch with cheers is not supporting the team

Fox may well win the poll for worst player ever but our fan base wouldnt win many polls with the way it within the stadium treats its players and certainly not ones we grow ourselves, we never used to do that, and thats my point not the merits of the individual

Football fans are what they are, you won't change that and ours are a lot more understanding than a certain neighbour of ours. Furthermore I don't think we would come anywhere near the bottom half of any such poll of clubs if one was undertaken. And my point is we did used to do that many moons ago.
  • Football fans at cafc are changing though, thats the biggest thing for me, I never cared what other clubs did, I found that as a fan base we would bitch moan argue on the coaches and trains after the game amongst ourselves but we spent the time during the game supporting, we had some terrible players over the years and there would be groans and moans when anotuer chance went begging or we conceded a comical keystone cop goal, but we never put our own through that maybe I was deaf to it, but I doubt that as I always was situated in the noisest sections of our support,

• Borrowdale took a good corner.

But couldn't head to save his life. In fact, in didn't even try to head...and he was a six footer!! He managed to get away with a whole game against us at centre back for Palace in the league cup....which they comfortably won at The Valley, when even their crap Hungarian centre forward scored.
  • @nla

You make an interesting point. When I started going in 1990-odd the mocking just didn't seem to be there to the same extent. Fans seemed in awe of the players and just wanted to be entertained.

I think it's more than just the standard of football, it's a reflection of society and pop culture in particular which seems to be all about name calling, mockery and put downs.

You also have the category of supporter who just wants to rant on his Saturday afternoon, everyone is a shit cnut and useless. They leave feeling better about Themselves Because they have had a good moan.

I'd things aren't going well it seems an easy response to pretend you don't care, your not part of it any more.
  • Perhaps fading memory and time has blotted out some of the worst, but to me Fox is there or thereabouts. I hope he has a decent career in the game, but it's not going t happen at Championship level. My fear is that he not only lacks the basic skills but also the footballing brain. Excelling ion one can cover deficiencies in the other. But when both are not up to it ...
  • edited February 2016

@nla

You make an interesting point. When I started going in 1990-odd the mocking just didn't seem to be there to the same extent. Fans seemed in awe of the players and just wanted to be entertained.

I think it's more than just the standard of football, it's a reflection of society and pop culture in particular which seems to be all about name calling, mockery and put downs.

You also have the category of supporter who just wants to rant on his Saturday afternoon, everyone is a shit cnut and useless. They leave feeling better about Themselves Because they have had a good moan.

I'd things aren't going well it seems an easy response to pretend you don't care, your not part of it any more.

You're just a baby then :wink: .
  • RedChaser said:

@nla

Your just a baby then :wink: .
    Thanking you @RedChaser, that has cheered me up no end after yesterday.

Did I mention I was 62 when I saw my first game? ;)
  • RedChaser said:

@nla

Your just a baby then :wink: .
    Thanking you @RedChaser, that has cheered me up no end after yesterday.

Did I mention I was 62 when I saw my first game? ;)
    Still younger than me :disappointed:
  • Sponsored links:

• @nla

It certainly was not there in the 1990s and we had some shitty times, some shitty players but they were our shitty players for 90 mins
  • I seem to remember that Jack Burkett was well past his sell by date by the time he arrived from West Ham. I remember a nippy winger taking him to the cleaners.
  • I think negativity is a symptom of modern day life. People find it easier to be negative than positive and constructive. I don't agree with getting on a players back during a game as I think it is counterproductive. But every player puts themselves out there for criticism every time they are out on the pitch.
  • He's treated exact same Simon Francis was.
    He ain't done bad since he left.
  • And I didnt like Francis and made that clear on here but I never treated him like that in the ground
  • I've just watched Francis put alexis Sanchez on his ass with a wicked piece of skill. Absolute classic.

There is hope for everyone, everywhere.
  • dickplumb said:

I think negativity is a symptom of modern day life. People find it easier to be negative than positive and constructive. I don't agree with getting on a players back during a game as I think it is counterproductive. But every player puts themselves out there for criticism every time they are out on the pitch.

They do dick your right and they need to learn how to turn the negatives into postives and push on, but cafc is dying infront of everyone and right now if the only thing we can do is rage Against the machine and if we have one chance of any postives then we need the players to want to do it for the fans and not have the easy option of hiding and showing the cowardice inside and hiding, if the only thing left on the pitch is the will to not let us down due to our loyalty to them
  • Football fans at cafc are changing though, thats the biggest thing for me, I never cared what other clubs did, I found that as a fan base we would bitch moan argue on the coaches and trains after the game amongst ourselves but we spent the time during the game supporting, we had some terrible players over the years and there would be groans and moans when anotuer chance went begging or we conceded a comical keystone cop goal, but we never put our own through that maybe I was deaf to it, but I doubt that as I always was situated in the noisest sections of our support,

Oh, I dunno. I think we have always had our moments and scapegoats.
    I have an enduring memory of the whole covered end, if not most of the ground, singing "We all agree, Peter Shaw is a w**ker".
    If I remember correctly, the manager labelled us all as imbeciles.
    As for Peter Shaw - he stuck at it and to my surprise he did eventually win most of the fans over.
    I kind of learned what was meant by the term character from Peter Shaw.
  • edited February 2016

Football fans at cafc are changing though, thats the biggest thing for me, I never cared what other clubs did, I found that as a fan base we would bitch moan argue on the coaches and trains after the game amongst ourselves but we spent the time during the game supporting, we had some terrible players over the years and there would be groans and moans when anotuer chance went begging or we conceded a comical keystone cop goal, but we never put our own through that maybe I was deaf to it, but I doubt that as I always was situated in the noisest sections of our support,

Oh, I dunno. I think we have always had our moments and scapegoats.
    I have an enduring memory of the whole covered end, if not most of the ground, singing "We all agree, Peter Shaw is a w**ker".
    If I remember correctly, the manager labelled us all as imbeciles.
    As for Peter Shaw - he stuck at it and to my surprise he did eventually win most of the fans over.
    I kind of learned what was meant by the term character from Peter Shaw.
    Told ya, thank you s-a-b-o-n and I know this is going to grate with some but don't you just hate it when some old fart like me says 'In my day.................' :wink: