Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So who's the worst left back at Charlton in your time as a fan

Comments

• Martin cranie

Wasn't he a right back? Would still have him over fox
  • Fox is OK in his own half, he's awful when he goes past the halfway line...
  • What about Kelly Youga.
  • What about Kelly Youga.

Kelly Youga is Paolo Maldini compared to Fox. To be fair to Fox, he's absolute pony but better than Seabourne and Basey
  • No point bashing Fox. Gives his all, his all is just got quite enough. Attacking up the wing really is not his thing but we persist on trying to make him do it.
  • se9addick said:

Who is Thomas Hovi?

You're not real Charlton unless you saw Tom Hovi play.
    Only remember him playing one game, think we lost 4-3 at home to derby.
  • No point bashing Fox. Gives his all, his all is just got quite enough. Attacking up the wing really is not his thing but we persist on trying to make him do it.

Not many full backs get by on standing next to their centre half these days. Agree with some others - it's not his fault he's poor but I can't help thinking that he wouldn't even be a professional if he were right footed. I said the same about Konchesky and I stand by it
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:

Fox is a young player thrown in too deep at a level he probably won't be good enough for. I feel bad that he's in this position. Unlike Traore, who stole a living from us.

This. He's not ready yet and has been thrown in shouldn't be starting this many games. He has a good spell in the team last season. Fox needs to be loaned out for a while but it won't happen. I was amazed we didn't sign a left back in January.
  • Paul Friar!

Bet you would not say that if you met him in Bournmouth.
  • drewman said:

se9addick said:

Who is Thomas Hovi?

You're not real Charlton unless you saw Tom Hovi play.
    Only remember him playing one game, think we lost 4-3 at home to derby.
    Then I believe you may have seen 100% of his Charlton career.

It's actually one of my earliest Charlton memories, when rubbish foreign imports still had a novelty factor.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Fox is a young player thrown in too deep at a level he probably won't be good enough for. I feel bad that he's in this position. Unlike Traore, who stole a living from us.

This. He's not ready yet and has been thrown in shouldn't be starting this many games. He has a good spell in the team last season. Fox needs to be loaned out for a while but it won't happen. I was amazed we didn't sign a left back in January.
    He's 22, how long can we wait for him to be ready? He's not going to become quicker or more skilful on the ball by going out on loan.
  • Grant Basey would have been better if two stone lighter(or four stone lighter if you saw him play for Cray in the KSC in November).
  • That Chris Powell wasn't very good.....
  • Kevin Dickenson

How very dare you! He was my favourite player when I was 7. :-)
  • Paul Friar!

My mate played for charlton, never made the first team but was a regular in the reserves. He told me he played against Arsenal when they lost 10 or 12 nil (I think it was the same day as the last valley game against Stoke) At the end of the game Curbishley turned round to Friar and said "Tuck (his nickname) call yourself a proffesional, you're a fucking cheat and went on a rant to him. My mate was only 16 and said he didn't know where to look.
  • edited February 2016
    What about Steve Harrison we signed from Watford, went on to do a bit of coaching for England, now he was crap and makes Fox look half decent.
  • Add Konchesky to the list? But no one could come close to Fox!
  • Sponsored links:

• Paul Friar!

My mate played for charlton, never made the first team but was a regular in the reserves. He told me he played against Arsenal when they lost 10 or 12 nil (I think it was the same day as the last valley game against Stoke) At the end of the game Curbishley turned round to Friar and said "Tuck (his nickname) call yourself a proffesional, you're a fucking cheat and went on a rant to him. My mate was only 16 and said he didn't know where to look.
    11-0 at Highbury. Think Chris Whyte scored six.

Who is your mate that played?
  • Joe Francis
  • Joe Francis

I think I saw him play for Bromley.

Ps Friar would be my choice.
  • Simonsen said:

Joe Francis

I think I saw him play for Bromley.

Ps Friar would be my choice.
    Yeah, he played for welling too.
  • Fox,
    Seaborne and Basey weren't great but battled.

THD is better but consistently? Who knows?
  • Phil Ferns wasn't all that from what I remember.

Over the 50 plus years I've supported the club left back has actually been one of our stronger positions in my view.
  • Being one of our own doesn't mean a player can only receive positive feedback. If he isn't very good then he isn't very good. Doesn't make any difference how he got in the team.
  • Hovi played 10 mins v Derby and an airshot in his own box was his standout moment so not really enough to go on.
    Sturgess and Stuart looked OK and comfortable at this level of football.
    Borrowdale took a mean corner.

Whose left? ;)

Yea after putting stuart and Sturgess on the list I thought neither were that bad