Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So who's the worst left back at Charlton in your time as a fan

Comments

• Martin cranie

Right back!
  • Richard J said:

I hate these threads.

Three of the five mentioned in the first post were Youth products. I would automatically make them ineligible for inclusion.

Also Borrowdale was quite good for us. He helped tighten our defence and see us into the play offs after the infamous 4-0 defeat at Millwall. Can't see why he appears here.

I do agree about Hovi though.

Yes sorry discount Jamie Stuart and Paul Sturgess just at the time of writing it I couldn't think of anyone else! I remember actually liking Stuart and not feeling Sturgess was that bad. Seeing Seabourne etc being added changes my list
  • drewman said:

se9addick said:

Who is Thomas Hovi?

You're not real Charlton unless you saw Tom Hovi play.
    Only remember him playing one game, think we lost 4-3 at home to derby.
    Did he score all 4?
  • drewman said:

uie2 said:

Here's the selection from my time
    From possibly the worst your choice you can add to this of course

Morgan Fox
    Paul Sturgess
    Jamie Stuart
    Thomas Hovi
    Gary Borrowdale

This is a very negative and ultimately pointless thread.
    I saw the player ratings thread and thought ok I will start a thread about worst left backs because week in week out I see lifers slagging Fox, ideally haven't seen him enough to comment coz I haven't since Reading away last season ( new baby commitments etc) so I'm not having a go myself just giving lifers something else to think about after today's poor result and the slagging off that team!
  • Fantastic negative thread when we need all the positives we can.
  • cafctom said:

Paul Konchesky was a great player. Came through our youth academy and become a regular in the Premier League for most of his career and got England caps whilst with us. Should be discussed on a 'best left back' thread if anything!

In the Premier League days he was the first name I would pick every week.

After Powell he was the best left-back since Mark Reid then Scott Minto.
  • cafctom said:

Paul Konchesky was a great player. Came through our youth academy and become a regular in the Premier League for most of his career and got England caps whilst with us. Should be discussed on a 'best left back' thread if anything!

One of the best naturally left footed players I've seen with us.
  • cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Preferred him in midfield although I think his preferred position was left-back but limited by Powell's excellence.
  • Sponsored links:

• Paul Curtis
  • cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Preferred him in midfield although I think his preferred position was left-back but limited by Powell's excellence.
    Quite. I'd like to know how many games he actually played left back for us . No more than 20, I'd wager.
  • With luck Fix will leave and perhaps go in to do good things. Similar scenario to Francis.
  • Grant Basey would have been better if two stone lighter(or four stone lighter if you saw him play for Cray in the KSC in November).

That's an even sadder indictment of him as a professional then.
  • Boysie said:

Paul Curtis

Right back IIRC, not that special mind and not special at all I'd imagine on the other side of the pitch :wink:
  • Steve Harrison by a mile.
  • RedChaser said:

Boysie said:

Paul Curtis

Right back IIRC, not that special mind and not special at all I'd imagine on the other side of the pitch :wink:
    Definitely a right back. Good for the odd goal though....Fulham away, Newcastle away, Cambridge at home....
  • Fox certainly had a very poor game going forward yesterday, but to bracket him with Tumbridge & Seaborne is absurd.

I wonder whether we're going to have to try Lennon at left back. Even when fit TH-D can't defend, a pretty fundamental problem for a LB. Not sure Bergdych can either... But actually my choice would be to switch Chris Solly to LB. He's always looked OK there.
  • edited February 2016

Fox certainly had a very poor game going forward yesterday, but to bracket him with Tumbridge & Seaborne is absurd.

I wonder whether we're going to have to try Lennon at left back. Even when fit TH-D can't defend, a pretty fundamental problem for a LB. Not sure Bergdych can either... But actually my choice would be to switch Chris Solly to LB. He's always looked OK there.

I knew Ray (Tumbridge) and had the occasional beer with him in the Gloucester in Greenwich, sadly no longer with us, been gone 6 years now aged 54, RIP mate.
    http://ebbsfleetunited.co.uk/ray-tumbridge-dies/
  • edited February 2016
    Grant Basey reminded me of those old men playing football in the Barclay's ad when he was at full pace. It was a shame because I quite liked him but his lack of mobility made him a poor full back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fox will probably sign for gills next season, become their captain, crowd favourite, promoted to prem, be in prem team of season and become Welsh regular.

We put too much pressure and criticism on youngsters unless they are top drawer ready to go like shelves and gomez.

It can't be a nice situation to play in in or try to progress your career..

Hes still only 22 ffs
  • Fox will probably sign for gills next season, become their captain, crowd favourite, promoted to prem, be in prem team of season and become Welsh regular.

We put too much pressure and criticism on youngsters unless they are top drawer ready to go like shelves and gomez.

Hes still only 22 ffs

Its as big a cancer at cafc as Rd and Km suporting the team means exactly that
  • Borrowdale took a good corner.

Hes still only 22 ffs

As I've said before... Too many fans have been spoilt by the class that we have brought through our Youth Academy... Joe Gomez / Jonjo Shelvey / Carl Jenkinson even Chris Solly / Rob Elliot / Darren Randolph so whenever someone comes through the Academy now, they have to burst on to the scene just as well those mentioned yet fail to realise that there will be those: Harry Arter / Michael Turner who are slightly slower burners and shouldn't be got rid of at the first opportunity
  • Bad team, bad owners, don't blame it all on fox. He isn't the best of players but in a better team he would probably be an ok player.
  • Boysie said:

Paul Curtis

Right back predominantly.
  • Scoham said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Fox is a young player thrown in too deep at a level he probably won't be good enough for. I feel bad that he's in this position. Unlike Traore, who stole a living from us.

This. He's not ready yet and has been thrown in shouldn't be starting this many games. He has a good spell in the team last season. Fox needs to be loaned out for a while but it won't happen. I was amazed we didn't sign a left back in January.
    He's 22, how long can we wait for him to be ready? He's not going to become quicker or more skilful on the ball by going out on loan.
    It certainly wouldn't do him any harm to get out and play some football at a lower level away from moronic fans booing and sarcastically cheering our own players. Pretty ashamed to be a Charlton fan when that happened yesterday. I wouldnt even say he was our worst player yesterday.
  • Scoham said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Fox is a young player thrown in too deep at a level he probably won't be good enough for. I feel bad that he's in this position. Unlike Traore, who stole a living from us.

This. He's not ready yet and has been thrown in shouldn't be starting this many games. He has a good spell in the team last season. Fox needs to be loaned out for a while but it won't happen. I was amazed we didn't sign a left back in January.
    He's 22, how long can we wait for him to be ready? He's not going to become quicker or more skilful on the ball by going out on loan.
    It certainly wouldn't do him any harm to get out and play some football at a lower level away from moronic fans booing and sarcastically cheering our own players. Pretty ashamed to be a Charlton fan when that happened yesterday. I wouldnt even say he was our worst player yesterday.
    He has faced that all season, cafc fans have changed so much over the years, yet many hark on about wanting to embrace the fan power used to get us back to the valley, the one thing that we had was fans who never treated the players like that we knew who we were and what team we fell for ,

yes the players as a whole need to step up they are acting like cowards at tines and hiding behind the situation and not fighting their way out of it,

But Mak,,Fox, and others have been heckled and jeered and our own fans doing it,singling out individual players will not fix the issue

Suporting the team and not the regime is not something to turn on and off yet it seems to only count when criticism of the regime is the goal,

Rd and Km have fucked the team they fucked the club poor performing players is a by product of that but also one thing thats a cert in football, players will have shit spells, the issue is why has he been left exposed, weak mgrs weak squads, weak leadership

Spot. On.