Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Really as bad as many make out!!

Comments

• Total load of b******* about supporting the team during the game to save an adverse effect on the players.

Our support has done little for the players so far, so let's crack on with the protests during the game.
  • PL54 said:

That's all great but if we were top of the league under these Belgian squirrel sluts, nobody would be shouting at windows after the game or wearing Fulham scarves whatever was going on.

So yes it is all linked to results.

Initially maybe, but I think for many, it's gone way past results.
    Appointing Fraeye was the straw that broke the camels back for many.

That was the point of no return now the battle is on.
  • Ketman said:

The pitch was paid for by the FA Cup run under Powell who he then promptly sacked.

We were relegation ded certs though. Riga did save us from relegation that season. There was too much bad blood between SCP and the Belgians from the off and the club was in a poor state when they took over. Had the Spivs remained in charge, I believe we would have been relegated. SCP had a stellar league one campaign by being autonomous and well funded. However without this he struggled at both Charlton with the Belgians and at Huddersfield. Loved him as a player, was a fantastic chair of the PFA, but limited as a manager.

I will run for cover...
  • Strangely enough the DOWNSIDE includes nothing about the playing performance - so it must be KM!
  • Nah Roy, they're doing ok!

• edited February 2016
    It baffles me how someone can argue it is about results and if they were better then fans wouldn't protest. They appointed a man from the Belgian third division. Management isn't about luck. That's why these guys earn big money. They are good at it. The Belgians don't know their history and think they know better. Shame on anyone who thinks you can appoint an under qualified nobody and think that the supporters of the the one team out of the 92 who have proved in recent history that the club is a part of the community, part of who we are, wlll accept it and shame on anyone who defends them.
  • edited February 2016
    Post Riga, chapter one, the managerial appointments were simply not good enough and the, good players in, the squad was too thin.
    Glass half full, I think Riga will save us. Give him a summer transfer and a decent scout and we can look upwards.
    I fear that our giggling CEO may not make this possible and RL is too tight.
  • PL54 said:

LuckyReds said:

PeterGage said:

James46 said:

I have been at all the protests and have withdrawn from Valley Gold and no longer spend money at the valley but for me it has never been about RD selling the club, although if he does then that's fine. My protest has been about making the owner and CEO aware that they need to change. Time will tell but I suspect that we have made them sit up and think.

Clearly the managerial appointments have been the key issue. Had Luzon kept his early season run going, I doubt we would be at this point of unrest.
    I must say that in all my time coming to the Valley (40 years) I've never cared about the owners, it's always been about the manager and now is no different.

Mostly, I agree with your points and without doubt, social media has fanned the flames of this situation. It's created a sort of mass-hysteria and I feel it's time for me to take a step back and give Riga and the team a chance. (I didn't really agree with his appointment but so far so good)

Most of all, I want us to stay up, but I fear that an intensification of the anti-board movement may be self-defeating in that respect. I feel this was at least partly responsible for the black week starting with the Colchester away game.

If the situation deteriorates I will consider not renewing our families 5 season tickets, voting with me feet so to speak but it will be with a heavy heart.

But, for the first time in months I am optimistic and so this Saturday, my amazon purchased black and white scarf will stay at home and if we win I suspect more scarfs will be left at home the following week.

Jeez...one win and suddenly things are looking optimistic !!
    This is precisely what I was banging on about a while a go, and I think part of the reluctance of the trust to get involved - football fans are fickle and with some good results and a new manager there was always going to be a reduction in the protests.. how much though, will be interesting. I'm hoping it will be minimal.

I thought it would take more than one result though.

The most frustrating thing is these protests have absolutely fuck all to do with results.
    You know that is not the case - if we were top of the league nobody would give two hoots about sofas, managerial changes and ticket office opening hours.
    But being top of the table would probably mean not having had a succession of s*** managers and players.

I reckon you probably realise this.

PL54 said:

That's all great but if we were top of the league under these Belgian squirrel sluts, nobody would be shouting at windows after the game or wearing Fulham scarves whatever was going on.

If we were top of the league it would be because they weren't doing stupid stuff like selling Kermorgant and replacing him with Polish Pete, or signing so few players Regan Charles-Cook has to fill in at right back, so there would be no need for protest regardless. There's no scenario where the idiot things they come up with can get us to the top of the league so it's a moot point.
    So we are agreed - if we were top of the league there would be little or no protesting aside from the most militant. We'd still have a sofa in the ground, be giving tickets to local school children, giving some extra office space to CACT and Kermorgant may well have still been sold but it's what happens on the pitch that matters most.

We could have had a Watford style succession of managers but results are a factor, probably the biggest one, in people being angry or not. It's undeniable.
  • PL54 said:

PL54 said:

LuckyReds said:

PeterGage said:

James46 said:

I have been at all the protests and have withdrawn from Valley Gold and no longer spend money at the valley but for me it has never been about RD selling the club, although if he does then that's fine. My protest has been about making the owner and CEO aware that they need to change. Time will tell but I suspect that we have made them sit up and think.

Clearly the managerial appointments have been the key issue. Had Luzon kept his early season run going, I doubt we would be at this point of unrest.
    I must say that in all my time coming to the Valley (40 years) I've never cared about the owners, it's always been about the manager and now is no different.

Mostly, I agree with your points and without doubt, social media has fanned the flames of this situation. It's created a sort of mass-hysteria and I feel it's time for me to take a step back and give Riga and the team a chance. (I didn't really agree with his appointment but so far so good)

Most of all, I want us to stay up, but I fear that an intensification of the anti-board movement may be self-defeating in that respect. I feel this was at least partly responsible for the black week starting with the Colchester away game.

If the situation deteriorates I will consider not renewing our families 5 season tickets, voting with me feet so to speak but it will be with a heavy heart.

But, for the first time in months I am optimistic and so this Saturday, my amazon purchased black and white scarf will stay at home and if we win I suspect more scarfs will be left at home the following week.

This is precisely what I was banging on about a while a go, and I think part of the reluctance of the trust to get involved - football fans are fickle and with some good results and a new manager there was always going to be a reduction in the protests.. how much though, will be interesting. I'm hoping it will be minimal.

The most frustrating thing is these protests have absolutely fuck all to do with results.
    You know that is not the case - if we were top of the league nobody would give two hoots about sofas, managerial changes and ticket office opening hours.
    But being top of the table would probably mean not having had a succession of s*** managers and players.

PL54 said:

If we were top of the league it would be because they weren't doing stupid stuff like selling Kermorgant and replacing him with Polish Pete, or signing so few players Regan Charles-Cook has to fill in at right back, so there would be no need for protest regardless. There's no scenario where the idiot things they come up with can get us to the top of the league so it's a moot point.
    So we are agreed - if we were top of the league there would be little or no protesting aside from the most militant. We'd still have a sofa in the ground, be giving tickets to local school children, giving some extra office space to CACT and Kermorgant may well have still been sold but it's what happens on the pitch that matters most.

We could have had a Watford style succession of managers but results are a factor, probably the biggest one, in people being angry or not. It's undeniable.
    It's funny that you always nitpick the small things people complain about but always fail to address the larger issues.
  • Sponsored links:

• I would hope results on the pitch was a big thing.

A sofa, buying a ticket on line or over the phone, wrong coloured socks, a DJ in a bar at the game, the number of chips in a portion and not getting a free cup of tea - they are the small things.
  • We are the angry mob
    We read the papers everyday day
    We like who like
    We hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed
  • All this crap about the pitch does my head in. They are not stupid of course when buying the club they got money off it for whatever the pitch was going to cost. Then they come in do the pitch up and look like heroes to the fans instantly. Then we are told they used the money from the Yann sale to pay for it. Load of old cobblers even back then.
  • I have offered my opinion a few times here - when asked. @WestCountryAddick

Have the owners and leaders made some mistakes ? Yes

Have they done some good ? Yes

Are they learning from their mistakes ? I hope so and Riga coming back is significant for me

I gave up my STs some years ago when family commitments took over at the weekend. I get to probably between 5 and 10 games per year and go for a beer and a laugh with some football in between.

It doesn't rule my life, I don't take it personally; losing is annoying but not life threatening and winning is great but not life changing. I am sure everybody feels the same and why would anyone take it more seriously than that ?

A chunk of the supporters have given up on the club and ignore, laugh or get angry / very angry etc at everything the club does which shows their blind hate - Why are free kids tickets bad ? Why is free coach travel to be laughed at ? Why is changing the post match entertainment around derisable?

The club does not want to banish supporters aged over 50 but they do want to bring in some new younger fans - What is wrong with that ?

Plenty of player and a few managerial hires (particularly Fraeye) have proved to be bad.

"Anyone but The Belgians"....be careful what you wish for.
  • PL54 said:

PL54 said:

LuckyReds said:

PeterGage said:

James46 said:

PL54 said:

I don't think we're quite agreed. I'm saying that results on the pitch are tied into what goes on at the top, much in the same way that protests are. One informs the other; if things at the top were fine and we were bringing in proper players and drawing more fans into The Valley then we would have no need to complain and results would be better due to the better standard of recruitment and the reduced sense of confusion about the place. Were we protesting when we sat in the drop zone with Slater and Jimenez? No, we knew there was no money and we were up against it. We weren't happy but we also knew they were trying to sell up urgently so we waited. Now we're in a situation where poor results have laid bare just how many issues there are in the club and how little the ownership are willing to do about arresting the problems. We've received the panicked essays from KM saying Roland's going to do it his way regardless and repeated disgruntled articles from former staff members discussing the problems at the club, and now we've reached the point where wait and see what happens is over and we've had enough. The fact that results necessarily can't pick up alongside the poor administration is a parallel issue
  • edited February 2016
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

We are the angry mob
    We read the papers everyday day
    We like who like
    We hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Not one of their better hits. I predict a riot is better.
  • PL54 said:

I have offered my opinion a few times here - when asked. @WestCountryAddick

Have the owners and leaders made some mistakes ? Yes

Have they done some good ? Yes

Are they learning from their mistakes ? I hope so and Riga coming back is significant for me

I gave up my STs some years ago when family commitments took over at the weekend. I get to probably between 5 and 10 games per year and go for a beer and a laugh with some football in between.

It doesn't rule my life, I don't take it personally; losing is annoying but not life threatening and winning is great but not life changing. I am sure everybody feels the same and why would anyone take it more seriously than that ?

A chunk of the supporters have given up on the club and ignore, laugh or get angry / very angry etc at everything the club does which shows their blind hate - Why are free kids tickets bad ? Why is free coach travel to be laughed at ? Why is changing the post match entertainment around derisable?

The club does not want to banish supporters aged over 50 but they do want to bring in some new younger fans - What is wrong with that ?

Plenty of player and a few managerial hires (particularly Fraeye) have proved to be bad.

"Anyone but The Belgians"....be careful what you wish for.

I actually agree with some of your points and appreciate the direct reply.
  • Sponsored links:

• there is certainly some competition out there for shittest football club owner.

• PL54 said:

PL54 said:

LuckyReds said:

PeterGage said:

James46 said:

PL54 said:

Read what I posted again, we do not agree with each other
  • @PL54 you seem to be one of the few contributors I can be bothered to read as you post reasoned thought and comment, whereas the majority on here want to moan, moan and moan some more. Things are VERY far from from perfect at CAFC, but believe it or not it could be far worse. One of the most important factors is financial stability. Look at Bolton, a former big club verging on the brink. All this talk of Varney's investor, an investor is NOT a buyer. Airman Brown claims to know all about this but what are the true hard facts of the proposal Varney wanted to put to RD/KM? I'm convinced invest does not mean buy. Who is this investor? If they mean business speak up regardless of whether RD wants to listen.

I was a real Yann fan, met him in person, had a lovely conversation with him en francais and would have been delighted to see him return in the recent transfer window, but I would not have been happy at paying 500K for a 34-year old on an 18-month contract demanding at least £15K a week. I hear you all shout "but they shouldn't have let him go last time when he wanted to stay", yes he wanted to stay but was price was he asking for - who knows, was it reasonable? We'd like to think it was because Yann was our Valley man but we haven't a clue. A player with a late start in his career, not getting any younger wanted to cash in to the max - and who would blame him, but blame RD/KM you will.

My biggest gripe with the moaning Lifers is protest to your hearts content AFTER the game but NOT during the game. If you really want us to stay up you MUST get behind the team during the match, if you think the protests during the game don't affect the players then you must have sawdust between your ears. Unless of course you are so warped that really you want us to get relegated so that RD loses those millions. The ultimate reason for going to football is to see your team play well and to win. Yes there are many other things we want, to be appreciated as fans, to feel included, not to feel they don't get it and are taking the pee out of us but winning games matters most. Until Sheikh Money Bags rides into SE7 on his cash cow, I mean cash camel support the team.

And by the way I am not a KM troll I am a middle-aged season ticket holder attending with 7 very long-term season ticket holders.
  • JeSuisCharltonaise Member
    8:53PM
    "@PL54 you seem to be one of the few contributors I can be bothered to read as you post reasoned thought and comment, whereas the majority on here want to moan, moan and moan some more".

Blimey O'Reily,
    welcome to CL, Mrs PL54.

Nice one, Sam !

PS I messaged you last night ( oooer!)

Can you get back to me please .

• JeSuisCharltonaise Member
    8:53PM
    "@PL54 you seem to be one of the few contributors I can be bothered to read as you post reasoned thought and comment, whereas the majority on here want to moan, moan and moan some more".

Blimey O'Reily,
    welcome to CL, Mrs PL54.

Hello Ms O'Reily

I agree with JeSuis, Much of what PL54 says is sensible. I don't that often agree with the conclusions, no doubt for me thatvthe contributions are well considered.

I do not like the current ownership, I can imagine worse. I can imagine a rapprochement with the current regime but I believe it would need a new CEO, I can't see that happening and so the protests will continue and I will continue to contribute my voice, my money and any other support I can give to them.

• I reckon it's Richard Murray...
  • @PL54 you seem to be one of the few contributors I can be bothered to read as you post reasoned thought and comment, whereas the majority on here want to moan, moan and moan some more. Things are VERY far from from perfect at CAFC, but believe it or not it could be far worse. One of the most important factors is financial stability. Look at Bolton, a former big club verging on the brink. All this talk of Varney's investor, an investor is NOT a buyer. Airman Brown claims to know all about this but what are the true hard facts of the proposal Varney wanted to put to RD/KM? I'm convinced invest does not mean buy. Who is this investor? If they mean business speak up regardless of whether RD wants to listen.

I was a real Yann fan, met him in person, had a lovely conversation with him en francais and would have been delighted to see him return in the recent transfer window, but I would not have been happy at paying 500K for a 34-year old on an 18-month contract demanding at least £15K a week. I hear you all shout "but they shouldn't have let him go last time when he wanted to stay", yes he wanted to stay but was price was he asking for - who knows, was it reasonable? We'd like to think it was because Yann was our Valley man but we haven't a clue. A player with a late start in his career, not getting any younger wanted to cash in to the max - and who would blame him, but blame RD/KM you will.

My biggest gripe with the moaning Lifers is protest to your hearts content AFTER the game but NOT during the game. If you really want us to stay up you MUST get behind the team during the match, if you think the protests during the game don't affect the players then you must have sawdust between your ears. Unless of course you are so warped that really you want us to get relegated so that RD loses those millions. The ultimate reason for going to football is to see your team play well and to win. Yes there are many other things we want, to be appreciated as fans, to feel included, not to feel they don't get it and are taking the pee out of us but winning games matters most. Until Sheikh Money Bags rides into SE7 on his cash cow, I mean cash camel support the team.

And by the way I am not a KM troll I am a middle-aged season ticket holder attending with 7 very long-term season ticket holders.

So sweet
  • @soapboxsam @Fanny Fanackapan @stonemuse you are such a bunch of cynics, I have absolutely no idea who @PL54 is and certainly think my other half would be startled to know they have morphed into somebody else. You need to accept that not everybody has the same views as you. Support the team during the 90 mins and protest if you must AFTER the final whistle.
  • @stonemuse is there so much truth in what I've said that your "so sweet" sarcasm comment is all you can muster?!