Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Really as bad as many make out!!

Comments

• It's on the record that Yann/ Dale were sold to fund the new pitch...
  • LuckyReds said:

PeterGage said:

James46 said:

I have been at all the protests and have withdrawn from Valley Gold and no longer spend money at the valley but for me it has never been about RD selling the club, although if he does then that's fine. My protest has been about making the owner and CEO aware that they need to change. Time will tell but I suspect that we have made them sit up and think.

Clearly the managerial appointments have been the key issue. Had Luzon kept his early season run going, I doubt we would be at this point of unrest.
    I must say that in all my time coming to the Valley (40 years) I've never cared about the owners, it's always been about the manager and now is no different.

Mostly, I agree with your points and without doubt, social media has fanned the flames of this situation. It's created a sort of mass-hysteria and I feel it's time for me to take a step back and give Riga and the team a chance. (I didn't really agree with his appointment but so far so good)

Most of all, I want us to stay up, but I fear that an intensification of the anti-board movement may be self-defeating in that respect. I feel this was at least partly responsible for the black week starting with the Colchester away game.

If the situation deteriorates I will consider not renewing our families 5 season tickets, voting with me feet so to speak but it will be with a heavy heart.

But, for the first time in months I am optimistic and so this Saturday, my amazon purchased black and white scarf will stay at home and if we win I suspect more scarfs will be left at home the following week.

Jeez...one win and suddenly things are looking optimistic !!
    This is precisely what I was banging on about a while a go, and I think part of the reluctance of the trust to get involved - football fans are fickle and with some good results and a new manager there was always going to be a reduction in the protests.. how much though, will be interesting. I'm hoping it will be minimal.

I thought it would take more than one result though.

The most frustrating thing is these protests have absolutely fuck all to do with results.
    If we win this weekend I can see the post match protest dropping by 25-30% straight away. Everyone has different motives for protesting and this makes setting a unified goal difficult.
    I'd be happy if the revolving door of players/managers/staff ended and I could begin to develop some sort of affinity with the club again. It would be great to have a core of 6 first teamers for longer than a year again.
  • Ultimately it's our owners intention to spend nothing ...the club will take on the debt.
  • edited February 2016
    LuckyReds said:

PeterGage said:

James46 said:

I have been at all the protests and have withdrawn from Valley Gold and no longer spend money at the valley but for me it has never been about RD selling the club, although if he does then that's fine. My protest has been about making the owner and CEO aware that they need to change. Time will tell but I suspect that we have made them sit up and think.

Clearly the managerial appointments have been the key issue. Had Luzon kept his early season run going, I doubt we would be at this point of unrest.
    I must say that in all my time coming to the Valley (40 years) I've never cared about the owners, it's always been about the manager and now is no different.

Mostly, I agree with your points and without doubt, social media has fanned the flames of this situation. It's created a sort of mass-hysteria and I feel it's time for me to take a step back and give Riga and the team a chance. (I didn't really agree with his appointment but so far so good)

Most of all, I want us to stay up, but I fear that an intensification of the anti-board movement may be self-defeating in that respect. I feel this was at least partly responsible for the black week starting with the Colchester away game.

If the situation deteriorates I will consider not renewing our families 5 season tickets, voting with me feet so to speak but it will be with a heavy heart.

But, for the first time in months I am optimistic and so this Saturday, my amazon purchased black and white scarf will stay at home and if we win I suspect more scarfs will be left at home the following week.

This is precisely what I was banging on about a while a go, and I think part of the reluctance of the trust to get involved - football fans are fickle and with some good results and a new manager there was always going to be a reduction in the protests.. how much though, will be interesting. I'm hoping it will be minimal.

The most frustrating thing is these protests have absolutely fuck all to do with results.
    But the protests are linked to the results.

If we had effective recruitment for both players and coaches, then we wouldn't be fighting relegation.

If we beat Bristol C convincingly, will there be thousands protesting ? Maybe.

If they beat us convincingly, then I'm sure there will be.
  • MrLargo said:

se9addick said:

Ketman said:

The pitch was paid for by the FA Cup run under Powell who he then promptly sacked.

I thought it was included in the purchase price negotiated for the club.
    I think the latter is correct. Either way, he didn't pay for it out of the goodness of his heart, and this cost would have been factored in to the negotiations to buy the club - if you're buying a house and the survey tells you the roof is leaking, you negotiate the purchase price down to reflect the potential extra expenditure to get the roof fixed, no different when buying a football club.

It infuriates me when people suggest that the new pitch was an act of generosity - it was an absolute necessity that any buyer would have been required to pay for. If it hadn't been replaced, we would now be bottom of the table with 5 games in hand, paying regular fines to the Football League for not being able to provide a playable pitch all winter.
    Didn't Ms Meire herself say that a large part of the new pitch funding came from the sale of Kermogant?
  • James46 said:

Try watching the 1hr 38mins of the FF meeting and you will see just how much notice they are NOT taking. It's not part of their plan.

But Riga is NOT a manager, merely a do-as-he's-told head coach. Do you care about the faceless keyboard scouts that select our players ?

So the 6-0 at Hull didn't count ? As for mass-hysteria, you club employees desperately need that to be true, but it aint!

I think I am like all other Charlton supporters in that I want us to win every match but you also have to be aware of the wider picture. Regardless, the players say they are not affected by the protests. There were protests at Rotherham and guess what happened ?

So you'll leave it to others to get us out of this mess, but if we fail you will just give up anyway ?

How will leaving your black and white scarf at home help the team ?

Look forward to hearing from you again in a few years.
  • "Really as bad as many make out!!"

I thought this was a post about a terrible night full of American teenagers getting off with each other.
  • edited February 2016
    I seem to recall Katrien saying at one of the VIP meetings that they hadn't expected the new pitch to cost as much as it did as they didn't know about the collapsed drainage tunnels underneath.

So while they would have factored in the cost of a new pitch it was perhaps a lot more than they had planned for.
  • Sponsored links:

• LuckyReds said:

PeterGage said:

James46 said:

You know that is not the case - if we were top of the league nobody would give two hoots about sofas, managerial changes and ticket office opening hours.
  • James46 said:

Davo55 and Hex, I'm that optimistic/foolish I may even buy a programme on Saturday!

My fear is that if these protests step up a gear then they could well hasten relegation because of the negative effect on the teams confidence and therefore its performance. At this point team spirit is key.

If people feel that at this point, its a risk worth taking then that is fine. Personally I don't.

I hope your pessimism is misplaced, I really do.

But the players have said otherwise - don't you believe them ? Support the team, not the regime.
  • The pitch isn't a positive, it was a requirement. Honestly it would have been unplayable and the fines/repercussions a lot worse than the figure paid to re-turf. And the club isn't a far healthier position, it's in a dire position. We have the wrong players on the wrong contracts, an ownership unwilling to even acknowledge fans or take on their advice/help. We have a huge racking debt that is unseeable to us now but will become clear to us when Roland wants it back, and at a premium too.

Also, life isn't perfect, no, but nor are many a well run clubs, but the fans are treasured; just like we used to be. And that's what football is really all about to us, 100% dedication, some ups and some downs but you know even if you fell down leagues you'd want to be at the ground. Right now this ownership, despite your differing opinion, is doing almost the opposite; driving us down the leagues and making us NOT want to be at the ground.
  • James46 said:

Davo55 and Hex, I'm that optimistic/foolish I may even buy a programme on Saturday!

My fear is that if these protests step up a gear then they could well hasten relegation because of the negative effect on the teams confidence and therefore its performance. At this point team spirit is key.

If people feel that at this point, its a risk worth taking then that is fine. Personally I don't.

Not a concern, at least two of the players have mentioned the protests not having an effect on them.

In fact, one of our only victories came on the day of the first protests - Sheffield Wednesday at home last year. In that situation we actually protested pre-match too, where it was more likely to effect the players if anything.
  • That's all great but if we were top of the league under these Belgian squirrel sluts, nobody would be shouting at windows after the game or wearing Fulham scarves whatever was going on.

So yes it is all linked to results.
  • Sponsored links:

• It may be not really as bad as many make out. As in as many make out on the internet, but the collapse in attendances suggests otherwise...unless (as I suspect) attendances don't matter to this regime.
  • PL54 said:

That's all great but if we were top of the league under these Belgian squirrel sluts, nobody would be shouting at windows after the game or wearing Fulham scarves whatever was going on.

Inept management at key levels generally produces bad results.

It's just a coincidence that the marketing 'initiatives' have been hopeless as well
  • PL54 said:

That's all great but if we were top of the league under these Belgian squirrel sluts, nobody would be shouting at windows after the game or wearing Fulham scarves whatever was going on.

Initially maybe, but I think for many, it's gone way past results.
  • James46 said:

Well you could just as well argue that the protests at Rotherham must have inspired the team to victory. In practice if we support the team during the match, that is all that matters. The owners need to change course or sell, no sign of either happening at present which dooms us to more of the same next season whichever division we are in.
  • I cant tell if the title is actually a question, or a statement being shouted at us...