Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Bristol City | Sat 06 Feb | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Bristol City
Saturday 06 February 2016 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Michael Jones (Cheshire)

Headlines

Charlton announce two new signings on deadline day; Yaya Sanogo and Rod Fanni join on loan until the end of the season.

On the other hand, fans will have to contain their grief as legendary Striker: Piotr Parzyszek departed the club on a Free Transfer, thanks for the memories Piotr; many will never forget your three minutes against Birmingham City

Introduction
In terms of how a season can pan out, this last week for the Addicks has been absolutely huge, two matches could go some way to defining whether Charlton play Championship football next season or whether they’re condemned back to League One… The first match of course has already happened; last Saturday the Addicks travelled back to Yorkshire knowing that defeat against Rotherham would leave them seven points from safety and an uphill task to survive relegation… In a county which has already seen much heartbreak, the players rose to the challenge and shocked all by returning to London with three points after an impressive 4-1 victory.

We now move on to the second of a relegation double header with Charlton playing host to Bristol City who currently sit just the one place and one point ahead of ourselves, victory against Rotherham meant that we’re now only a point from safety yet defeat is once again not an option, lose this Saturday and that impressive win last time out will have been for nothing

With Rotherham hosting Bolton this weekend it truly is a battle between the bottom four sides, because of that match-up it’s quite possible that Charlton wont leap out of the relegation zone this Saturday, yet a back to back win for only the second time this season will send a huge message to our rivals… Let’s get that poor goal difference down that little bit more.

The Opposition
Name: Bristol City | Manager: Currently Available
Ground: Ashton Gate | Nickname: The Robins

Once again it’s not just a battle between relegation rivals this Saturday, yet also a battle of the Robin. Charlton and Bristol City sharing the same nickname it’s not the only thing these two sides have shared this season… With Christmas Day still in the memories of many, Charlton made the trip to Bristol on Boxing Day where they committed a crime so bad, they were severely punished on recent trips to Yorkshire!!

Having dominated from the off, Bristol City took a deserved lead on the stroke of half-time (Don’t be too proud of yourselves, everyone has done it), the second half wasn’t much better and the Robins (that’s Bristol not Charlton) wasted a huge chance to double lead when they missed a penalty (Don’t worry, everyone does that against us), for the rest of the match the Addicks didn’t fare much better yet right at the death Harry Lennon would pop up in the box to steal a draw for the Addicks.

A robbery had been committed in the West Country and justice was sadly served in our next three away games… No need to say more

Charlton Team News
As already mentioned, much gets made of Deadline Day, promises get made stating that we’ll try and sign players yet when the window slams shut the only person we’ve caught is Katrien Meire herself as she tries to make a quick getaway… This season its different with Yaya Sanogo (Striker) and Rod Fanni (Defender) having been signed on loan from Arsenal and somewhere in Qatar respectively so each player should go on to the bench for this Saturdays match.

In terms of the starting line-up I’d be surprised if any changes were made with Simon Makienok being the possible exception… Having scored twice against Rotherham he did clash with a sponsorship board and was seen nursing his arm with an ice pack after being substituted, if he is unfit we could see the straight swap of Yaya Sanogo starting in his place, if not you’ve always got Ademola Lookman who made his return from injury (and scoring yet again) on Saturday.

Henderson
Solly … Teixeira … Lennon … Fox
Gudmundsson … Cousins … Jackson … Bergdich
Makienok … Vetokele

Substitutes Bench: Pope … Fanni … Ba … Poyet … Harriott … Lookman … Sanogo

Prediction
Charlton Athletic 3-0 Bristol City

Comments

• I'll happily go with your prediction....
  • after last week this has banana skin written all over it. 1-2, back down to earth with a bump.
  • Dont think it'll be that high as Birmingham couldn't break them down last Saturday... It could be a 1-0 but also think that we're playing in a style and with a confidence that if we get one goal, we could go on to get more
  • get a win and it will mentally and mathematically get us out of it, we have got to take every game as it comes and i think this one is there for the winning, Bristol can defend top teams have struggled against them so im going with 1-0 ventokele.
  • 2-0 home win Makinok 64th minute Lookman 93rd
  • Head says Charlton win 3-1, heart says we will come down with a bump. 0-2.
  • Unchanged team from last week .. Bristol has strengthened during the 'window', Tomlin and Golbourne are decent but will take time to 'gel' .. it won't be easy, BUT if we play as we did last Saturday, we will win this and end the season in mid table

CAFC 2 v Bristol City 0
  • I still worry about Jacko playing in the center of midfield in a 4-4-2. Bristol have two players who sit deep (as Rotherham did), but with Tomlin as the #10, he has the quality to roam and find space and get at us. The leadership he brings is unquestionable, and when the game condensed in the second half last week, he looked good. But I'm not convinced his reading of the game is good enough to be that sitting defensive midfielder.

Agree that this feels like it could be a banana skin and could bring things crashing down to earth. If we don't score early, I worry that the crowd could get impatient. Head says 0-0, heart says 3-1.
  • Massive game, I really can't wait
    We'll see what we're made of after Saturday
    A real scrappy 1-0 win
  • Sponsored links:

• better looking 16 with Diarra and Bauer still to return (doesn't look as though Kashi will in the short term).

prediction-draw.
  • massive game and almost falls in the 'must win' category - certainly a 'mustn't lose'

think we'll sneak it 2-1 Igor and Jacko
  • Unchanged team from last week .. Bristol has strengthened during the 'window', Tomlin and Golbourne are decent but will take time to 'gel' .. it won't be easy, BUT if we play as we did last Saturday, we will win this and end the season in mid table

CAFC 2 v Bristol City 0

Bristol may have strengthened, but after the various failed bids for high profile players certainly haven't improved as much as they would have wanted

And they have an interim manager... we know how well that worked out for us...
  • dickplumb said:

I think we might Nick this one 2-1. I can see an opening for Fanni and he ramming it home.

Fanni might be exposed by Lee Tomlin unless Gudmundsen helps out by filling the hole...
  • 3-1 To JR's Red and White Army.
  • I'm hoping for a very positive result and going for a 3-1 victory. I may not be back from my Charity Walk in time to do the match thread, but will be following on my phone. COYR's don't let us down!!!
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.

You were so close last week.
  • Sponsored links:

• 2 goal game, I'm going for 1-1
  • Like every game for the foreseeable future we need the points, given Bristol's lowly position and we are home it must be 3.

Easier said than done as they will be right up for this, away win against team lower in table etc.

I think we might just shade this 1-0 or 2-1 Strangely I don't see a draw which would be the most predictable result.

It won't be pretty and in a way I hope we don't win easily, the players need to get into the mind set of scrapping for everything.

• Probably a draw.
  • The real issue for me would be if we win back to back six pointers,
    we only have 6 points to show for it !

Would want to know how the boys have trained this week
    and whose's fit before diving in.

where were you when we were shit ? Two weeks ago.
  • This is Charlton right? So... we must be due a good kick in the bollocks!

0-1 defeat
  • Massive massive massive game. Must not lose. Win and I can see us pushing on but a loss would be unthinkable. 1 - 1
  • If Big Mac is injured it would explain Sanogo's arrival. Mirror image 1-1 with us dominating and missing our one and only penalty this season
  • Unchanged starting XI, Fanni and It's a no-go on the bench, 2-1 win and the sun shining hopefully
  • Macronate said:

better looking 16 with Diarra and Bauer still to return (doesn't look as though Kashi will in the short term).

prediction-draw.

Agree about 16 but still worry about left side of defence and want to see poyet starting soon. Still fancy us to win 2-1