Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fans Forum Tonight?

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Debt is a lit cheaper than equity. It is even more cheap when it's a debt to yourself.

Loan interest due will be deductible from CAFC's UK tax liability. Loan interest received by Staprix may be taxed at a low rate in Belgium (cannot bring myself to Google belgian tax rates on a Sunday).

A new buyer will take on all liabilities hence why the sale of a club at a notional value of a quid don't reveal the true picture ie Bolton could sell for a pound tomorrow but new owner immediately inherits £40m of debt day one.

Unless negotiated otherwise I expect Duchatelet will get all his spend back plus interest. Will also likely make a profit on top of that with increased sale value assuming we aren't relegated.

I make no pretensions to be a tax expert (company or personal) but it might be that losses from Charlton can be group relieved against Belgian (Staprix) income to reduce Roland's overall corporate tax liabilities.

I don't have a scooby re the group structure but I reckon there is more chance of Murray winning the Australian Open (Andy not Richard or perhaps that should read Richard not Andy) than Duchatelet not offsetting Charlton losses against tax somehow.

EDIT: Should have said that I am assuming no UK corporation tax liability for Charlton as we are forever being told the Club is in a loss situation.
    So ultimately we are a vehicle to reduce his overall tax bill?
  • Options
    Must admit I was rather concerned about the strange idea of hosting the POTY evening on a Saturday, and despite the agreement to discuss this afterwards?
    Really cannot see what was so wrong with the format in the first place. Of course any longstanding event like this needs to be refreshed and try some new ideas, but I get the impression that the 'club' just do not value the excellent work that Ian, and Jean have done. Just feel they do not want the 'fans' to be directing and managing this, or at least be seen to be.
    Whatever the reason, they had better get cracking.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

LenGlover said:

Debt is a lit cheaper than equity. It is even more cheap when it's a debt to yourself.

Loan interest due will be deductible from CAFC's UK tax liability. Loan interest received by Staprix may be taxed at a low rate in Belgium (cannot bring myself to Google belgian tax rates on a Sunday).

A new buyer will take on all liabilities hence why the sale of a club at a notional value of a quid don't reveal the true picture ie Bolton could sell for a pound tomorrow but new owner immediately inherits £40m of debt day one.

Unless negotiated otherwise I expect Duchatelet will get all his spend back plus interest. Will also likely make a profit on top of that with increased sale value assuming we aren't relegated.

I make no pretensions to be a tax expert (company or personal) but it might be that losses from Charlton can be group relieved against Belgian (Staprix) income to reduce Roland's overall corporate tax liabilities.

I don't have a scooby re the group structure but I reckon there is more chance of Murray winning the Australian Open (Andy not Richard or perhaps that should read Richard not Andy) than Duchatelet not offsetting Charlton losses against tax somehow.

EDIT: Should have said that I am assuming no UK corporation tax liability for Charlton as we are forever being told the Club is in a loss situation.
    It may not be his principle motivation, nobody seems to know what that is for sure, but nevertheless gives a nice bit of bunce to him I suspect.
  • Options

Must admit I was rather concerned about the strange idea of hosting the POTY evening on a Saturday, and despite the agreement to discuss this afterwards?
    Really cannot see what was so wrong with the format in the first place. Of course any longstanding event like this needs to be refreshed and try some new ideas, but I get the impression that the 'club' just do not value the excellent work that Ian, and Jean have done. Just feel they do not want the 'fans' to be directing and managing this, or at least be seen to be.
    Whatever the reason, they had better get cracking.

I agree Ken. I think that part of the problem is that she cannot put her name on it and take any credit.
  • Options
    He could make even more money for himself if he bothered even trying to get us promoted to the Premier League.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

LenGlover said:

I highly doubt it would be a prime motivator but could well be an associated benefit.

Given the prime objective of wanting to break even and maybe turn a profit I doubt he's with us for tax reasons as lots of more efficient methods to reduce tax/ incur tax benefits. ...investing in Danny Dyer films for instance.
  • Options
    From watching that depressing video, my take on is that the regime and people around them are so deluded with their own self importance that keep giving them enough rope and eventually they will hang there selves falling right into our hands.
  • Options
    It's a box-ticking exercise. KM can now tells the media (the ones she doesn't talk to, remember) that she has met with fans and everyone now appreciates her passion for the club and her inspirational leadership. Other than that, can't really see what was achieved.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We are trying to get to the bottom of how exactly he has exited Standard. The Socios speak bitterly of him emptying the bank account of €30m but stop short of saying he did anything illegal. That sounds to me like he had loaned Standard the money, and recalled it when he exited. It is also now increasingly said that Venanzi didn't have anything like the money to meet RDs asking price, so he has quietly done a deal with him. It may involve RD getting a cut of player sales as part of the repayment terms.

I think it is important to get to the bottom of the Standard sale, because it will tell us a lot about what he will look for in selling us.

I have a hard time believing Standard ever had €30m sitting in a bank account. It may be that he'd lent them money, and had SL borrow the money to repay the loans, but who would lend them that much money? I doubt they have the assets to cover such a loan.

Not saying Roland didn't extract as much as he could, but this sounds a bit excessive.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

Apologies to both Everetts and note to self to listen more carefully.

On the loans, is the interest rate 3.5%? If so, that's not well above market rate and below a quasi-equity return. Quasi-equity debt is anywhere between 5 and 10% depending on credit rating of the borrower.

Hard private equity cash targets a 11-14% return.

Thanks for this. It's not quite answered my concern though.

David Joyes is a qualified CFO so I presume when he used the term quasi equity that's what he meant. Until now my understanding of quasi equity was that it provides a halfway house between equity investment and a straight loan, typically returns being delivered from future revenues.

I'm sure it's more complex than that. The thing is, in my understanding I can see a benefit to, say, Richard Murray investing on that basis, but I'm struggling to see one for Staprix given that they wholly own the club. All future revenues are theirs anyway. So interest might provide a return - but if as Joyes implied we shouldn't worry because the capital is essentially equity, the interest is absolutely irrelevant as well isn't it?

I might need a lesson on quasi equity, although David has described it to me in the past as 'essentially equity' - in which case, again, why charge interest?

(EDIT: I suspect there are tax reasons involved in this somewhere).
    The difference between debt and equity for an investor is firstly priority over the assets in the event of insolvency; debt is paid back before any money is repaid to shareholders (equity owners). Secondly, interest must be paid on debt, whereas dividends for shareholders is discretionary.

So it makes no difference to Duchalet, in theory, whether he gets interest or dividends and he gets his money back whether debt or equity because he controls the Board who decide dividends. Problem is you only pay a dividend out of profits.

When an owner injects capital into a loss making business to secure equity rather than make a loan, the investment will be worthless if the company goes bust and debts exceed asset value, so it is virtually a gift. If the business assets don't cover debt, then you lose whether a creditor or a shareholder if the business is wound up.

I think Joyes is suggesting that although Duchalet holds debt, the capital invested is just as exposed as equity so is "quasi equity" in the sense that he stands to lose his capital, so is close to being a gift, but it would be reasonable to ask for clarification. it doesn't address the fact that Duchalet is getting interest on debt in the meantime, while he wouldn't be able to get a dividend on equity until the club is making a profit.
  • Options

Ok, I am not at all financially qualified, but I am a co-director of a business in which I have an equity investment. My understanding is that you can take a return on equity through dividend payments but only if the company is profitable.

Otherwise you make a director's loan, then you can take interest out regardless of whether the company is profitable or not - I believe this is what RD is doing. The interest repayment then hits the P&L of the company, making it even less profitable. The latter may have tax advantages but I am not in any way qualified / knowledgeable enough to say that.

Well, you can have equity called "preference shares". These tend to pay a fixed interest rather than a variable dividend and have the right to be paid out ahead of ordinary shareholders in the event of insolvency. But who knows whether that's relevant here?
  • Options

For example the coach arrival times for away games was discussed, some felt they arrived too early for the Hull and Huddersfield games because there was nowhere for fans to go with the remote location of those grounds. But on the flip side there was also merit in the comments that it's better to arrive 1.5 to 2 hours early in case of traffic problems and that it does also allow fans to have a drink at the pub too.
    I was drinking in a pub 5 minutes from the KC from about noon. Not sure why anybody arriving at the ground that early couldn t ask the local OB where they could have a drink.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    KM & Co do not want a Sunday event - It's not the players so don't let her fool you.

This might be because they would have to pay DNC for the use of Crossbars and then pay staff to organise it.

Just out of curiosity, who owns the POTY trophy? Is it the FF or the clubs..??
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

KM & Co do not want a Sunday event - It's not the players so don't let her fool you.

This might be because they would have to pay DNC for the use of Crossbars and then pay staff to organise it.

Pay DNC for the use of Crossbars?!

Geez, Tony got his ex-employers a good deal there didn't he?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LuckyReds said:

cafc999 said:

Pay DNC for the use of Crossbars?!

Geez, Tony got his ex-employers a good deal there didn't he?
    TBH, Ben 'Sweat The Asset' Kensell done that deal
  • Options
    Would have thought Saturday night would be more convenient for everyone, I have never gone to one purely baca use it is on a Sunday.
  • Options
    Would be a bit silly on a Saturday, you'll have a lot of people boozed up from midday - don't get that on the Sunday.. Well I should hope not ! :- )
  • Options

Would have thought Saturday night would be more convenient for everyone, I have never gone to one purely baca use it is on a Sunday.

It's Bank Holiday weekend so for many Sunday is perfect
  • Options
    Saturday would be absurd and if KM forces the issue I would have thought that demand for tickets would be considerably less than normal.
  • Options
    What happens next time if the last Saturday game is away, far away, how do the fans get back to the event.
  • Options
    How do the players get there as well....oh, they said they want it to be on a Saturday straight after a match so they will all get dropped off at the valley in their club tracksuits ready for the do.
  • Options
    The POTY cup that has been used for years belongs to CASC.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

So, could CASC withhold the cup if it was on a Saturday as KM wants? Or, could CASC use it if we hold our own separate POTY party?

• Options
    cafc999 said:

So, could CASC withhold the cup if it was on a Saturday as KM wants? Or, could CASC use it if we hold our own separate POTY party?

The trouble with holding our own POTY party is that without the club's permission, there will not be any players there