Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympic Stadium; our day in court

1100101102103104106»

Comments

• Options
    clive said:

The London Stadium is set to have multi-million pound solar panels installed to generate its own energy.

The 2012 Olympics stadium - now home to West Ham United - is to be wrapped in a solar membrane to reduce carbon emissions, it has been revealed.

It is estimated the project will cost £4 million over the first two years but would pay for itself after five years.

According to planning documents, the work could start on the east London site later this year.

A contract for the project's installation said the scheme offers a "fantastic opportunity to showcase cutting edge technology".

It added that the "key driver" for the project was to significantly reduce carbon emissions, in line with the mayor of London's commitment to turn London into a "zero carbon" city by 2030.

The idea has been praised by Sadiq Khan, with City Hall agreeing to contribute £45,000 towards a feasibility study and business case for the project.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-64758344

Who’s paying the £4m?
    You, of course.

( but you know that perfectly well🤣}
    All on his own?
  • Options

West Ham United: Allianz in contention for London Stadium naming rights

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67455764
  • Options
    clive said:

West Ham United: Allianz in contention for London Stadium naming rights

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67455764
    West Ham would only profit from a stadium-only deal if it exceeded £4m.

WTF? I hope the deal is worth £3,999,999.99
  • Options

London Stadium: LLDC and law firm settle over West Ham deal

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-62469587

I'm re running this story because I cannot even get a link because, paywall, for the  Times article just out, which has used the Hamsters accounts to put a figure on the settlement: £2mill.

The Times article goes on to update us all on how much taxpayers are having to fund the on-going losses each year. 

Interested in the take of @Jints and @SporadicAddick on how the legal world views this. As a stroppy layman, I see a Magic Circle firm who has had to make what *looks like* a big payout to avoid going to court and having the world see just how utterly crap a job they did, which results in this never-ending cash drain on London's resources. Shouldn't their utterly crap job be worthy of more public awareness? And I guess to A&O that isn't big money at all, is it?

• Options
    edited January 9
    A&O being the magic circle legal firm with 580 partners and annual revenue of almost £2bn? No, it's chicken feed (as I know you're well aware).
    They're evidently not totally incompetent though - they've made this go away very cheaply.
  • Options
    edited January 10

I'm re running this story because I cannot even get a link because, paywall, for the  Times article just out, which has used the Hamsters accounts to put a figure on the settlement: £2mill.

The Times article goes on to update us all on how much taxpayers are having to fund the on-going losses each year. 

Interested in the take of @Jints and @SporadicAddick on how the legal world views this. As a stroppy layman, I see a Magic Circle firm who has had to make what *looks like* a big payout to avoid going to court and having the world see just how utterly crap a job they did, which results in this never-ending cash drain on London's resources. Shouldn't their utterly crap job be worthy of more public awareness? And I guess to A&O that isn't big money at all, is it?

Hi @PragueAddick, whilst I'm sure the erudition of many of my posts hint at a level of intelligence and knowledge over and above that which should be expected on a football forum ;) , I have absolutely no legal awareness, nor insight on the London Stadium...

Has your SiL had any success with Iberia yet?

• Options

If you need it, the full Times story is…

The law firm that allowed West Ham United to pull off the “deal of the century” in renting the London Stadium appears to have paid a seven-figure out-of-court-settlement to the publicly owned company that operates the venue. 

E20 Stadium LLP, the commercial arm of the London Legacy Development Corporation, sued Allen & Overy ― who were acting on its behalf ― for £12 million for alleged negligence. The law firm denied any negligence but the case was settled before it went to court.

The settlement was confidential but E20 Stadium’s latest annual accounts indicate it could be worth as much as £2 million. 

The stadium deal has been widely criticised: the agreement struck by West Ham and signed off by then London mayor Boris Johnson in 2013 was for an initial index-linked rent of £2.5 million per year for 99 years. One London Assembly member described it as the “deal of the century” for West Ham.

The Premier League club’s lease payments were £3.6 million last season but they do not have to pay for heating, cleaning, maintenance, or even the cost of goalposts and corner flags, and keep all the ticket money.

It costs London taxpayers about £100,000 per match and the concession agreement did not even oblige West Ham to pay more in rent when the stadium’s capacity increased from 53,500 to 62,500.

E20 Stadium’s annual report states: “During 2022-23, E20 Stadium LLP commenced legal proceedings against Allen & Overy for their role in drafting the London Stadium concession agreement. This dispute was settled before a court hearing.

“The details of the settlement are confidential; however, the related transactions are recognised in the 2022-23 financial statements (within exceptional income).”

E20’s accounts show that it received £8.5 million as “exceptional income” in 2022-23 compared to zero the year before. Of that, £6.5 million came from West Ham as part of a penalty clause in the concession agreement which had to be paid when the Czech businessman Daniel Kretinsky took a 27 per cent stake in the club.

The remaining £2 million appears to be income from the out-of-court settlement from the law firm as the accounts do not make reference to any other “exceptional income”. West Ham is also contesting £3.95 million of the £6.5 million it paid in March last year under the stadium lease penalty clause.

The LLDC’s annual accounts show it provided £26 million to E20 Stadium for its “operational and capital requirements”. The accounts also state the stadium’s “fair value is assessed to be nil due to the level of costs included in E20 Stadium LLP’s long-term forecasts”.

The LLDC’s chief executive, Lyn Garner, told the London Assembly last March that “like it or not” the stadium will operate “at a deficit year-on-year”. She also said she was “very confident” that the LLDC would finally agree a naming rights deal for the stadium in 2023, but that failed to get done.

Garner admitted that even if a naming rights deal were to be achieved, it would still leave an annual operational loss of £8 million to £10 million for the stadium.

Allen & Overy have been approached for comment.

• Options

HSV in the second tier of German football too.

• Options
    edited January 10
    Law firms these days are “LLPs” so have, as the name implies, limited liability for any matter they take on. In this case, I’d suggest the cap on this contract was the £12m that LLDC were initially seeking. Depending on the strength of their argument and the costs of actually taking this to court, I assume they felt that £2m was as good as they could get. 

Their argument would have been affected if they/politicians had been advised by A&O on any detrimental parts of the contract and they went ahead anyway. 

Professional firms are, supposedly, meant to be trusted advisors. The move from partnership to LLP means that they are unlikely to be bankrupted by their failures, but their reputation is hit and that can be catastrophic. In this case, I sadly doubt that this will even dent A&O.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who will Toby Jones play when ITV make a drama about this?
  • Options
    Has to be Boris
  • Options
    Based only on how he looks it would have to be David Sullivan😱 
  • Options
    Gawd!
    Luva duck!
    Apples n pears!
    Git art ov my pub!

Sorry, got nothing to contribute, it's like nervous tick when those claret n blue chancers are mentioned...
  • Options
    He should save the much cooler local club Rochdale.
  • Options
    Like Surrey?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Like Surrey?
    That’s south of the river and he wants us to build a national stadium in the north so anywhere the other side of the Thames basically.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    when has Rochdale ever been considered cool?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iaitch said:
    Like Surrey?
    That’s south of the river and he wants us to build a national stadium in the north so anywhere the other side of the Thames basically.
    That makes the existing Wembley the "Wembley of the North", maybe we should see if we can get some free government cash to buy The Valley and make it into the "Wembley of the South"
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    seth plum said:
    Try going there without your thermals for an evening match in January!
  • Options
    edited February 23
    Hal1x said:
    seth plum said:
    ‘Our Gracie’ came from Rochdale and in her day was I suppose considered “cool”.

🎼 LaLaLa   LaLaLa  LaLaLa  LaLaLa……a lassie from Lancashire.🎼
  • Options

1. Rochdale Pioneers

An obvious place to start, but the 28 men who, in 1844 kick-started the Co-operative movement when they opened a shop in Toad Lane, made Rochdale famous across the world.

2. Hollingworth Lake

The ‘Weighver’s Seaport’ has attracted visitors for generations. On a sunny day there are still few finer things than a walk round the lake.

3. Healey Dell

Beloved of photographers, dog walkers and nature lovers, the dell is wonderful place to escape the hustle and bustle of modern life.

4. Gracie Fields

From Molesworth Street to Capri via Hollywood, Our Gracie was Rochdale’s first global superstar.

5. Rochdale Youth Festival of Performing Arts

Every year hundreds of children from across the borough take to the stage in a glorious celebration of Rochdale’s young musical and artistic talent.

6. Keith Hill

‘You should never go back’ goes the saying. Thankfully Keith Hill did. He’s on course to lead the Dale to their highest-ever league position and further cement his place as the club’s greatest-ever manager.

7. Rochdale Town Hall

Coveted by Hitler (apparently), the Grade I-listed Gothic masterpiece is one of the country’s finest town halls.

8. Cotton Famine Road

Despite widespread poverty caused by the cotton blockade, Rochdale supported the Union and its fight to end slavery during the American Civil War. The Cotton Famine Road, across Rooley Moor, provided work for those who fell on hard-times as a result.

9. GEM Appeal

We’ve picked the long-standing charity drive launched by Bamford mum Karen Johnson 21 years ago, but it could just as easily have been any of the scores of charities doing fantastic work day in, day out across Rochdale.

Gem Appeal founder Karen Johnson with Key 103's Chelsea Norris with top chef Andrew Nutter

10. Fish and chips

Oldham lays claim to the world’s first fish and chip shop, but without Holmes Street-based Henry Nuttall’s ubiquitous frying ranges it’s doubtful the humble chippy tea would have gone on to gain such widespread popularity.

11. Rochdale Motors

The firm’s ‘People’s Porsche’ – the revolutionary Olympic model – shook up the motor industry in the 1960s and all from a small workshop in Hudson Street.

12. Rochdale Ideas and Literature Festival

Simon Armitage, Willy Russell and Carol Ann Duffy are just some of the big names to have appeared at Rochdale’s annual literary celebration.

13. Lisa Stansfield

As anyone who follows her Twitter and Facebook accounts can testify the soul singer is fiercely proud of her Rochdale roots. And rightly so.

14. Rochdale Canal

The M62 of its day, linking Manchester and Yorkshire via Rochdale.

15. Ella Chadwick

Battered and bruised, but still smiling, kidney transplant battler Ella Chadwick, of Whitworth, gives the thumbs up to the camera. She sums up all that’s great about Rochdale’s kids.

16. John Bright

Born in Rochdale in 1811 the radical Liberal MP is perhaps most famous for his part in helping to abolish the Corn Laws in 1846.

17. Rochdale Sixth Form College

Ranked the best in the country for the last two years, the college is more than doing its bit to stop the brain drain of Rochdale’s brightest students.

18. The Rochdale Observer

Like the town itself we’ve taken a few knocks recently and the recession wasn’t kind to us, but after 160 years we’re still here reporting all the news, views and sport in Rochdale twice a week.

19. The location

Surrounded by stunning countryside and within easy reach of most of the major cities of the north, if you were building a town from scratch, you’d probably put it where Rochdale is.

20. You...

The people of Rochdale. Proud, blunt, outspoken, warm, generous and friendly. You’re the best thing about Rochdale by a country mile

• Options
    Worked away in Rochdale on a cabling job in 1983 ish.  Boss booked us into a B&B which as we were all to discover, was a well known frequent and gathering place for the local gay community.  Wish I could remember the name of the pub,  but that WAS a lively place...

As an aside, it was an interesting psychological experiment.  It was more than obvious out of our lot who were let's say, less secure in their sexuality, they were absolutely petrified all week. The guvnors and clientelle were a great bunch and quite happily helped us wind up a couple of our lads.

Rochdale was alright.
  • Options
    So did we actually win in court? Are West Ham getting kicked out of the taxpayers stadium?