Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roger Johnson - now Bromley's U23 manager

Comments

• Options

I imagine he wouldn't have signed unless he was offered 18 months.

This is how I understood it. We messed him about in the summer so he's not signing a second time unless we give him the second season up front.
    probably correct

what a cock-up this club is ... should have retained him in the first place
  • Options
    Started off okay when he joined last season, tailed off toward the end. Another year older, we're in a more desperate situation this time round. He was deemed not good enough in the summer, yet we've gone back in for him now. Yet again, this plus Williams coming in on loan speaks volumes about Sarr. Shocking all round.

Plus I thought we were over budget????

Presumably Watt and Lookman are going, Watt to be replaced by Vaz Te (already happened), Lookman to be replaced by another youth product asked to step up at the age of 12 and do a job

If this is their response to the protests and how they think they will turn it round then God help us. The incompetence and cluelessness continues under RD and KM.

Interestingly enough, the H'field game will take KF level on games with GL. They both have the same pts garnered (10). A pt or more will see KF on a better record, but by pathetic margins. If they sacked GL, then surely they must sack KF if he achieves the same points.

No, wtf am I talking about, each appointment has been better than the last. Perhaps @Nug you might want to get something ready mate, be great collateral for the visual campaign if KF can't better GL's point total and we can refer back to KM's wise wise words
  • Options
    We could have signed better but historically these clowns have signed a lot worse. My main concern will be how much of our pathetically limited budget have we spent and how much have we got left for the CM, wide players, LB, RB cover and striker that we need?

Is this the first admission from the management that they have made an error in the past?
  • Options
    I suspect it's a combination of the player refusing to join for six months, and we desperately need him and the fact that it is clear that Sarr is nowhere near the level he needs to be and Lennon is unlikely to be able to play 30 plus games in a Championship season. I also think Diara might be a little past it next season.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Did he want to stay at the end of last season? Perhaps he was asking too much? Just playing devil's advocate because the outrage over everything that comes out about the club at the moment (even when it's quite good news) is very tiresome.

According to Doctor Kish

Johnson was keen to extend his stay at The Valley but, was not offered a new contract.
    Fair enough but nothing concrete. Not saying it isn't the case and RD decided not to offer him anything but it could be any number of reasons why it didn't happen. Glad he's back though.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Did he want to stay at the end of last season? Perhaps he was asking too much? Just playing devil's advocate because the outrage over everything that comes out about the club at the moment (even when it's quite good news) is very tiresome.

According to Doctor Kish

Johnson was keen to extend his stay at The Valley but, was not offered a new contract.
    Fair enough but nothing concrete. Not saying it isn't the case and RD decided not to offer him anything but it could be any number of reasons why it didn't happen. Glad he's back though.

He was shoved out the door, as was MM as was Poyet as was Kermorgant as was many another. The Club won't let you on to that though, it'll reel of a list of excuses... They're now turning RJ resigning into a great thing, as was freeing him off the wage list. Beyond parody as already mentioned in this thread.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Started off okay when he joined last season, tailed off toward the end. Another year older, we're in a more desperate situation this time round. He was deemed not good enough in the summer, yet we've gone back in for him now. Yet again, this plus Williams coming in on loan speaks volumes about Sarr. Shocking all round.

Presumably Watt and Lookman are going, Watt to be replaced by Vaz Te (already happened), Lookman to be replaced by another youth product asked to step up at the age of 12 and do a job

If this is their response to the protests and how they think they will turn it round then God help us. The incompetence and cluelessness continues under RD and KM.

Interestingly enough, the H'field game will take KF level on games with GL. They both have the same pts garnered (10). A pt or more will see KF on a better record, but by pathetic margins. If they sacked GL, then surely they must sack KF if he achieves the same points.

No, wtf am I talking about, each appointment has been better than the last. Perhaps @Nug you might want to get something ready mate, be great collateral for the visual campaign if KF can't better GL's point total and we can refer back to KM's wise wise words

You do realise that 12-year olds cant play at First Team Level in Football dont you?
  • Options
    Does anyone know if we chose to let him go last summer or whether he decided he wanted to look elsewhere?

Seems bizarre we'd let him go then 6 months later decide he was worth an 18 month deal. Although i guess i shouldn't be surprised.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    if we can get gomez back (shame he's injured though) then getting Johnson is a good signing. he was saved by gomez on more than one occasion last time round.
  • Options
    this chat is all very well but what number shirt has he been assigned - I need it for the Statbank :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

this chat is all very well but what number shirt has he been assigned - I need it for the Statbank :smile:

28 was in the picture or was that from last year?
  • Options
    Not sure about this tbh. Not the signing I'd hoped for. But we'll see how he goes.
  • Options
    is Carol planning to play four centre halves now we have Williams, Johnson, Bauer, Diarra, Saar, Lennon?
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

According to Doctor Kish

He was shoved out the door, as was MM as was Poyet as was Kermorgant as was many another. The Club won't let you on to that though, it'll reel of a list of excuses... They're now turning RJ resigning into a great thing, as was freeing him off the wage list. Beyond parody as already mentioned in this thread.
    Poyet was shoved out??
  • Options
    Lennon back in the U21s hopefully. Williams and Diarra midfield options
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Lennon back in the U21s hopefully. Williams and Diarra midfield options

Or back on loan to Gillingham with a 24-Hour recall clause
  • Options
    A good signing in that he is (should be) better than what we currently have available in his position. 18months? Out of character for RD so far. Sadly I think this also elevates the prospect of the witless KF remaining in post for the foreseeable future, which will probably see RJ starting games anywhere across the back four or moved into midfield on a whim.
    As for how useful he'll be in League 1 - he won't stick around if he gets any other sort of an option eg the promoted Gills or Burton.
  • Options

is Carol planning to play four centre halves now we have Williams, Johnson, Bauer, Diarra, Saar, Lennon?

Diarra's a midfielder and we should have had four centre backs at the start of the season.
  • Options
    I doubt they had much choice but to give him 18 months.

I understand this to a degree. In the summer, with an open transfer window, we felt we could do better. Now, with the January transfer window and us looking for a veteran with leadership and experience at this level, it's a decent signing. Once again, the mistake was in the summer, and trying to rectify a squad throughout the season is a thankless task at the best of times. Will be surprised if he lasts 18 months, but it might be a way to transfer him into coaching (really, really hope this happens with Diarra).

My big concern now is lack of pace at the back. Lennon seems to have a bit of pace, but Bauer, Sarr, and obviously Diarra not so much. If we sit very deep and counter, which I assume we'll do, it's less of a concern. That said, KF's ability to organize a packed defense worries me.

All told, could be worse. He's not great at passing the ball to a teammate, but Bauer and Sarr are decent at it, and hopefully he can help them with positional sense. Also agree that he really, really help Fox in the second half of last season.

Oh dear, I'm starting to think Roger Johnson might actually be a good and sensible signing, I need to go lie down.
  • Options

cabbles said:

You do realise that 12-year olds cant play at First Team Level in Football dont you?
    under RD it wouldn't surprise me at all
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Transfer policy is frankly bewildering but if I was being kind I might think that there is some forward planning with this signing.

He will certainly help shore up our leaky defence this term and should the worst happen will be good enough for league one. If we manage to stay up then again he's certainly good enough as backup.

I think Bauer will be sold in the summer along with Sarr.
  • Options
    Do we think the return of Poyet will actually happen? Even if he returned on loan it could cost and would KM and RD pay?
  • Options
    I am reasonably happy with this. There are not many free players around this time of year so he is a known quantity who did well last year. Bauer is out for 6 weeks (which in Charlton speak probably means a lot more). Lennon and Sarr are too inexperienced to play together and Williams is only here for 28 days.
    This doesn't hide the fact that we shouldn't have had such a thin squad at the start
  • Options
    Well unexpected but at this level he is still a decent player and will add experience and leadership, it was no coincidence last season that Fox was a lot steadier when Johnson was playing
  • Options
    Does this mean they will sack the scout who recommended Sarr?
  • Options

Having another organiser and motivator in the team should be useful.

He's experienced and knows exactly what's needed in this Division.

• Options
    Pleased with this signing, we need more players like Johnson, must have been an awkward negotiation though for the club when he was deemed not good enough for us 6 months ago.