Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Roger Johnson - now Bromley's U23 manager

Comments

• JS5 said:

Need to get behind him. If we have Bauer Johnson Diarra as options at CBs we become a lot stronger.

Agree and Diarra can play in midfield while we actually have cover.

And as others have said younger players such as Fox looked much better with the likes of Johnson coaching them during the game.

Yes, this is another example of the "weird" recruitment policy but that's not Roger's fault.

Welcome back.
    Yet if Poyet does rejoin, where does that leave Diarra in Midfield?

You wouldnt really want both Poyet and Diarra alongside each other as thats far too Defensive minded, the below is the only way it would work (Unless you drop Cousins to the bench for another incoming Midfielder)

Henderson
    Solly ... Sarr ... Johnson ... Fox
    Poyet ... Diarra
    Gudmundsson ... Cousins ... Harriott
    Makienok
    Means we have cover, something Roland doesn't like paying for but every team needs.
  • So what happens if our *new* manager doesn't want him?
  • I'm ok with this ... he is worth having in the squad
  • Him and Bauer could work really well.

Pleased with this.
  • JS5 said:

Need to get behind him. If we have Bauer Johnson Diarra as options at CBs we become a lot stronger.

Agree and Diarra can play in midfield while we actually have cover.

And as others have said younger players such as Fox looked much better with the likes of Johnson coaching them during the game.

Yes, this is another example of the "weird" recruitment policy but that's not Roger's fault.

Welcome back.
    Yet if Poyet does rejoin, where does that leave Diarra in Midfield?

You wouldnt really want both Poyet and Diarra alongside each other as thats far too Defensive minded, the below is the only way it would work (Unless you drop Cousins to the bench for another incoming Midfielder)

Henderson
    Solly ... Sarr ... Johnson ... Fox
    Poyet ... Diarra
    Gudmundsson ... Cousins ... Harriott
    Makienok
    Means we have cover, something Roland doesn't like paying for but every team needs.
    Sarr? You're not serious, are you?

Blimey, a one legged, half crippled Rhys Williams would be a huge improvement over Sarr.
  • Might even make Sarr a bitter player with an experienced CB along side him. Fox was twice the player with Johnson along side him.
  • I thought he did ok last season. It's not easy to come in mid-season and make an impact, but I think he did that initially last time. Hopefully it will be the same again. With Poyet on DM duties, it should make a difference. Our defending has been so poor throughout the team, we needed some bite in midfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rog & Joe Gomez were a great partnership last season.
  • Is it now club policy you have to have played here before to be signed? Looking forward to Clive Mendonca's return.
  • Glad to see him back, but it does look a bit of a shambles, not offering him a deal in the summer, only to offer him 18 months now.
  • Decent enough signing should have kept him, management is a shambles

Accurate summary!
  • Did he want to stay at the end of last season? Perhaps he was asking too much? Just playing devil's advocate because the outrage over everything that comes out about the club at the moment (even when it's quite good news) is very tiresome.
  • colthe3rd said:

Did he want to stay at the end of last season? Perhaps he was asking too much? Just playing devil's advocate because the outrage over everything that comes out about the club at the moment (even when it's quite good news) is very tiresome.

According to Doctor Kish

Johnson was keen to extend his stay at The Valley but, was not offered a new contract.
  • colthe3rd said:

Did he want to stay at the end of last season? Perhaps he was asking too much? Just playing devil's advocate because the outrage over everything that comes out about the club at the moment (even when it's quite good news) is very tiresome.

According to Doctor Kish

Johnson was keen to extend his stay at The Valley but, was not offered a new contract.
    My understanding too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Keen to have him - but 18 month deal looks excessive.
    We are obviously already planning for L1
  • Keen to have him - but 18 month deal looks excessive.
    We are obviously already planning for L1

Up to a point I think we have to.

• I hope he got as much as possible out of them.
  • The usual January scramble to pick up loan players and anyone out of contract or who can fill the cracks in the squad in an effort to cling on to our Championship status. Hardly encouraging!! RD, KM, KF OUTlooking forward to the next protest and forcing these incompetent jokers to get on the next transport back to Belgium. WE desperately need a new owner, decent CEO, new Manager with Championship experience, and a Chief Scout or Director Of Football (preferably Curbs)We want our Charlton back!!
  • I imagine he wouldn't have signed unless he was offered 18 months.

This is how I understood it. We messed him about in the summer so he's not signing a second time unless we give him the second season up front.
  • I don't get it.

Like, my opinion of signing Roger Johnson* is secondary to my complete bewilderment at the club's transfer "policy".

It's like they're playing cowpat bingo but with random player names rather than numbers in the squares.

*[personally - can't be worse than what we've got]
  • Welcome back Roger