Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

You know you're getting old when.

Comments

• Options
    My father forced us to listen to Sing Something Simple or Sing Something Stupid as I used to call it to annoy my father.

My memory is that they made most songs sound like a dirge but occasionally and semi unexpectedly burst into a jaunty rendition of a song.
  • Options
    When Kate Bush celebrates her 60th Birthday.....doesn’t seem possible.
  • Options
    Another one of Cliff Adam's torture victims here. What an endless succession of dirges they produced. Horrible, horrible excuse for 'music'.
  • Options
    When the landlord of your local is quite literally the little boy from next door.
  • Options

My father forced us to listen to Sing Something Simple or Sing Something Stupid as I used to call it to annoy my father.

My memory is that they made most songs sound like a dirge but occasionally and semi unexpectedly burst into a jaunty rendition of a song.

Oh god I remember that. It was on a Sunday evening and made the transition into school on Monday even more unbearable.
  • Options
    My dad got a load of cassettes for the car such as round the Horne, clitheroe kid... Clitheroe kid was the funniest, still funny back in the early 90s at least! Classic just a minute with Derek nimmo, Clement Freud, Peter Jones and the great Kenneth Williams always went down the best though
  • Options
    Was it the clitheroe kid who had the catch phase of “”were me shirt” they don’t write them like that nowadays. Youth of today dont know what they missed out on! (Lucky buggers)
  • Options
    Where's me shirt was a Ken Dodd catchphrase.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Getting old, thought I remembered it from the clitheroe kid program, but perhaps Ken Dodd was in that? Or my memory is playing tricks which is more likely.
  • Options
    On Wkikpedia it says his catchphrase was "Don't some mothers 'ave 'em!" although I don't remember that one.

Also says that in September 1972 the Clitheroe Kid was axed by the BBC after a 14 year run, blimey the BBC didn't muck about in them days.
  • Options
    It’s interesting where’s me shirt when you google the saying says it’s ken Dodd from a song, but lots of old gits like me remember it from the clitheroe kid, but it don’t seem to be his main catchphrase. Didn’t realise the clitheroe kid is still repeated on radio 4 occasionally.
  • Options
    Im another one who remembers the painful 'Sing Something Simple' on a Sunday night, I believe The Kings Singers also featured.
    My old Nan and Grandad loved it and insisted on listening when they stayed over (every other weekend) and I remember they ate bread and dripping for supper, basically lard on toast.
    My dad would come to rescue and put on Dads Army once SSS had finished.
    Kids today, they dont know what we had to endure.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Im another one who remembers the painful 'Sing Something Simple' on a Sunday night, I believe The Kings Singers also featured.
    My old Nan and Grandad loved it and insisted on listening when they stayed over (every other weekend) and I remember they ate bread and dripping for supper, basically lard on toast.

used to love bread and dripping when I was a kid ... wouldn't go near it now lol
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Greenie said:

used to love bread and dripping when I was a kid ... wouldn't go near it now lol
    with extra salt just to increase the blood pressure even more
  • Options
    If Sing Something Simple was the Sunday night highlight was the Black and White Minstrel show the Saturday one?
  • Options

It’s interesting where’s me shirt when you google the saying says it’s ken Dodd from a song, but lots of old gits like me remember it from the clitheroe kid, but it don’t seem to be his main catchphrase. Didn’t realise the clitheroe kid is still repeated on radio 4 occasionally.

It's not actually Ken Dodd though is it? ... its one of his Diddymen who sounds a bit like the Clitheroe kid. A very easy mistake to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CejKxTc3sc4
  • Options
    Is songs of praise still on? That's the only program which, as a kid, could overcome my crippling procrastination and make me do my homework.
  • Options
    They have a TV programme tonight re-enacting life working in a factory in 1968 and you remember being in factories first time around
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sex On Fire by Kings of Leon is played on Classic Rock Radio!!
  • Options
    You have a conversation with someone bemoaning the fact that one man and his dog is no longer on tv
  • Options
    People with teenage children look so young.
  • Options
    you won't chance a fart 'cos you have your best trousers on ...
  • Options
    When you out walking your dogs and you notice your nieghbourhood has a "Yellow Bin" (clinical waste) collection day. :(
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Greenie said:

I absolutely loved the taste of bread and dripping as a kid and if it was beef for Sunday lunch I’d always ask my mum if we could have bread and dripping sandwiches and she’d invariably say No.
  • Options

Was it the clitheroe kid who had the catch phase of “”were me shirt” they don’t write them like that nowadays. Youth of today dont know what they missed out on! (Lucky buggers)

Just caught up with this thread.
    If my memory is correct, Jimmy Clitheroe's sister Susan, had a boyfriend called Alfie Higginbottom. I always thought 'where's me shirt?' was his catchphrase.

It was few years ago mind.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Maybe it has older roots, but I thought it was one of the Diddymen that said it.

[edit - just seen Raith's post above. That'll be it.]