Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How do the fans get behind the Varney initative?

Comments

• Options
    It worries me to think this but what it very much does imply is that Duchatelet is very much satisfied with how things are going and has no thoughts of selling.

This is going to get very very bad.
  • Options
    I can't help thinking that Peter Varney, in making the decision to allow this to be made public, has given up any hope of dealing with these people. It must surely embarrass RD and KM even further and I doubt there would be much chance of future dialogue with PV and his backers developing.
  • Options
    Cheers Henry.I just don't understand his mentality, how can you be happy being relegated and losing money,
  • Options
    Is there actually anything to get behind? PV clearly stated that he had an alternative option to progress & after being ignored by KM/RD he's got a duty to his employers to progress it.

Looks to me like Charlton have missed the boat on this one. Why else would PV allow the email trail to be published?
  • Options
    WSS said:

Fair enough. Seemingly factual then based on yours and others comments.

Haven't got a clue who Steve Clarke is (my naivety) - hope he is doing stuff in the background though to the benefit of the club.

Apologies if your relationship is no more so than that of a journo who simply asks for a quote or an opinion now and again. That's me reading things the wrong way.

We all want the same thing though and rht is for the club to be run if a different way - that includes RM who seemingly is acting like nothing more than one of those creepy talking sea bass that hangs on the wall of an amateur executives' office and sings now and again.

Been to visit Katrien then? :wink:
  • Options
    If you're not interested in sharing or selling your business why would you want to meet with someone.

Face it. We are stuck with RD
  • Options

@rikofold said:-

"Prague's replied, but just to add that we have a chance as a board in the next few days to consider the current situation together, particularly in light of the Varney revelations. We check where we are very regularly but until we conclude there's nothing to be gained from our current focus...but part of our deliberations will be whether there are any signs she's doing to us what she did to Varney. Airman shed light on the Target 20k thing today, and we perhaps generously issued a yellow card.

Still, the crowd today made their feelings brilliantly clear, and I wouldn't have wanted to be in the ground if I was the CEO when the crowd stood up chanting at her."

As a Trust member, and given the deteriorating footballing situation and the PV information, I'd very much like the CAST board to have invited member feedback for your deliberations. I believe you or others from CAST have done so on this forum but I can't recall you asking for feedback via the weekly updates we get?
    I appreciate it would be a little like trying to catch custard as the results and other information will always create something of a moving feast but I'd think your considerations and actions would be better aided by getting a good as feel as possible for where members currently stand?
    Damned if we do, etc. The best way would be a survey, but many feel we have had too many, and they take time to process.

I think we have said several times we'd welcome feedback through the website.

On here I several times announced that @rikofold and I would be in the White Swan today so anyone could come up and give us their thoughts. We only encountered @Davo55 ( whose views we already knew well, but it was still so much better to TALK) and @Covered End . I'm not extrovert enough to go round the pub bellowing my presence, but I did walk all through it, and out to the garden, trying to catch people's eye, and all I got was hostile stares that seemed to focus on my black and white scarf.

:-)

We try to be as accessible as possible, but we are all just volunteers, with all the usual stuff of life to deal with. Just drop us a line. We perceive that many people who previously in the survey told us to continue to seek dialogue, now think it's time to give up, and join protest. But with what goal? Where do you stand?

Thanks for responding, much appreciated.

My stance would firmly be "Roland Out".

I'll give him his due, he's only ever said "I'll do it my way", but I've seen his way for the last 2 years and I don't like it. The club that I've cared so much about for many years has changed to such an extent that I'm almost not caring about it any more. But only almost, I won't let an unenlightened leader like Roland move me to a position where I no longer care.

I don't like his way and would prefer him gone. Let him work his magic somewhere else, somewhere his football business model, his CEO and his football coach will be appreciated, somewhere they'll be successful. They will not be successful in the Championship.

There are lots of examples of mistakes they have and are still making, the worst in my opinion is they are putting the Academy in peril. Bringing so many youngsters into the firing line so early clearly isn't working results-wise, more importantly I believe there's a danger of "burning out" some of our academy players. This may come home to roost now or perhaps later in their careers. Every decent academy nurtures their youngsters and limits their game time and exposure, I think ours goes beyond what is reasonable. If I'm right and the burn-out happens then our Academy will lose it's reputation, of course Roland will probably have chosen to be long gone by then so he won't care.

I'd like every single Charlton fan to form a loud and proud Roland Out brigade and would like CAST to help lead it. Any long term aim CAST have of dialogue or more direct fan representation can still be part of their strategy, my emphasis would be on "long term" though, in that it won't happen in a meaningful way until Roland is out. I honestly can't see anything to indicate otherwise but I'm up for persuasion if anyone can argue to the contrary?

It would have been my pleasure to offer you and @rikofold a pint in the Swan today, unfortunately I live abroad and my trips to the Valley are limited to once or twice a year. I tell you what, I'll buy you both a pint one day and hope we can celebrate "Roland Out" properly :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Off_it said:

Forgive my ignorance here, but the email just mentions "an interesting investment opportunity". Doesn't say what, or indeed who would be investing in who.

No, but given who Varney is he's hardly likely to be a time waster, so wouldn't you want to meet with him to find out exactly what the opportunity is?

You and I might think that way, but these people don't.

I can't be the only one who isn't really surprised by this, surely?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Was what's this all about please ?

You have to be in the club to know. You might find out by Wednesday, apparently.

Fucking unbelievable attitude some people have got. But I can't say I'm surprised.
    It's all in the thread, what is so effing difficult?
  • Options

If you're not interested in sharing or selling your business why would you want to meet with someone.

Face it. We are stuck with RD

I don' think it's implied that the deal being some kind of buy out of the Club. It's probably, at this stage, simply a cross-promotional kind of arrangement with Varney's regional investment/developments.
  • Options
    Well, I've read through the thread and I can't say I'm sure what this so called initiative actually is. Who actually explains it and on which page?
  • Options

Off_it said:

You have to be in the club to know. You might find out by Wednesday, apparently.

Fucking unbelievable attitude some people have got. But I can't say I'm surprised.
    What, like your "summary"? Seriously, read that again and then come back and tell me if it makes sense if you had no clue what people were on about.

Anyway, someone has kindly summarised it since, so you can go back to your burger.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    LoOkOuT said:

Off_it said:

Forgive my ignorance here, but the email just mentions "an interesting investment opportunity". Doesn't say what, or indeed who would be investing in who.

That's why they needed a meeting FFS!
    Read SHGs post. Who "needed" a meeting?

If you think someone is trying to sell you something you don't think you need why would you waste your time (ffs)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:

Off_it said:

No, but given who Varney is he's hardly likely to be a time waster, so wouldn't you want to meet with him to find out exactly what the opportunity is?

You and I might think that way, but these people don't.

I can't be the only one who isn't really surprised by this, surely?
    Maybe not surprised because it fits with what we've been told by people 'in the kno' for a while, but seeing some evidence in black and white makes it hit home.

• Options

Well, I've read through the thread and I can't say I'm sure what this so called initiative actually is. Who actually explains it and on which page?

The initiative is whatever it was that Varney wanted to put to the Club, that he thought would be of benefit to both RD and the Club, but didn't get the chance because they wouldn't even meet him at Costa for a half hour chat. Now, seeing as Peter is a lifelong fan, Chief Exec for years, I'd doubt he was going to offer to run a taxi firm from a bit of spare office spare, like KM's office. The fact that he is involved in what is going on in the Swanscombe area should have pricked RD and KM's interest.

OK, thanks. But what's going on at Swanscombe?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

The business and investment opportunities.

If the business is interested enough in opportunities to close the ticket office space and let it out to an NHS call centre, then why would the opportunity suggested by PV not be pursued, when it might be of a much grander scale?

I think it's because RD has a model and wants to prove it, he has the money to pursue it and any dilution of power and control would only invite others to input to his model and he's not that kind of guy, he's not for changing unless it's his change.
    Leveraging his assets like the call centre helps his model towards a break-even position, albeit only marginally.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Off_it said:

Off_it said:

What, like your "summary"? Seriously, read that again and then come back and tell me if it makes sense if you had no clue what people were on about.

Anyway, someone has kindly summarised it since, so you can go back to your burger.
    ah, thanks. And you can go back to trying to be deliberately difficult and trying to get a reaction from someone. What a sad life you lead.
    That genuinely wasn't my intention. I was just a bit narked that when I asked what it was all about I was met with silence and then a suggestion that I buy a copy of VOTV online and I might know by Wednesday. Nice.

Happy New Year Large
  • Options
    I agree with Off It.

Could someone not scan that page properly? That photo of it is very difficult to read. I've managed to get it the right way up but the magnification makes it blurry.

It's like a private club on here sometimes. 'Buy your own copy or f-off' attitude. Maybe the Doshitalot way is rubbing off on our fans.

Thanks to Large for at least explaining part of it.