Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bristol City v Charlton Athletic 26th December 2015. Boxing Day Match Thread.

Good afternoon folks. have posted this early and will return later. Red Midland is unavailable for the usual coverage, and despite always going on Boxing day this year am at home. The match thread will likely be PaddyP17, or failing that it will be me.

Comments

• Thanks, Seth.

Sadly, for the 2nd away game in a row, the Fanackapans are sidelined too.

I've been very under the weather for the past week or more and feel a visit to the GP is on the cards soon.

So, a really quiet Xmas here & hoping that events from Bristol will cheer me up this afternoon.

x
  • edited December 2015
    I'm not going but I am in Somerset and it is blowing a hoolie down here and very wet too. Going to be an attritional game at Ashton Gate. COYA!
  • Youngest son Joe with granddaughter Evie are with the Charlton supporters today as they are down in Bristol with the Brizzle supporting in-laws.

Could be a long night for you if we lose, Joe.

Come on you Reds!!!
  • Thanks, Seth.

Sadly, for the 2nd away game in a row, the Fanackapans are sidelined too.

I've been very under the weather for the past week or more and feel a visit to the GP is on the cards soon.

So, a really quiet Xmas here & hoping that events from Bristol will cheer me up this afternoon.

x

Get well soon Fanny.
  • It is the season of joy and merry making. So today I am banning myself from all things Charlton, my kids don't deserve a miserable, ranting Dad today.

• Team: Henderson, Solly, Diarra, Lennon, Fox, Cousins, Jackson, Vaz Te, Ghoochannejhad, Lookman, Makienok #cafc
  • 4 strikers starting?? Jheeze
  • Bristol City are 5-2-1-2 to 3-4-3 as usual. Ayling-Flint-Baker as the three centre backs; Bennett at right wing back; Bryan at left wing back; Pack & Smith in Central Midfield; Freeman behind the F2 of Wilbraham & Kodjia. We need to nullify Freeman and stop the wing backs getting forward. If we do, we can hurt them on the break.

What has Carol come up with and are we up for the fight?
  • CHARLTON SUBS | Pope, Sarr, Holmes-Dennis, Moussa, Ba, Charles-Cook, Ahearne-Grant #cafc
  • Well Karel is not going to die wondering. Smacks of a football manager approach this though, and I am not sure it is going to work!
  • Sponsored links:

• Tutt-Tutt said:

Bristol City are 5-2-1-2 to 3-4-3 as usual. Ayling-Flint-Baker as the three centre backs; Bennett at right wing back; Bryan at left wing back; Pack & Smith in Central Midfield; Freeman behind the F2 of Wilbraham & Kodjia. We need to nullify Freeman and stop the wing backs getting forward. If we do, we can hurt them on the break.

What has Carol come up with and are we up for the fight?

Did you find that question in a cracker yesterday, Tutt-Tutt ?

• Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 2m2 minutes ago
    CHARLTON | Henderson, Solly, Diarra, Lennon, Fox, Cousins, Jackson, Vaz Te, Ghoochannejhad, Lookman, Makienok #cafc
    CHARLTON SUBS | Pope, Sarr, Holmes-Dennis, Moussa, Ba, Charles-Cook, Ahearne-Grant #cafc
  • edited December 2015
    4-2-3-1? No JBG
  • 8 of the 18 are home grown.
    Five of them starting.
  • Has he not realised this doesnt work?

Yes we may well score one or two but we will get found out defensively yet again. Far, far too open a starting a line up Imo.
    Hopefully im wrong, or maybe he'll use his brain and change it if we score, but im not holding too much hope.
  • Well Karel is not going to die wondering. Smacks of a football manager approach this though, and I am not sure it is going to work!

Smacks of a Football Manager who is desperate... I guess it'll be a 4-4-2 / 4-2-4 with Lookman on the Left of Midfield and Reza on the Right.
  • Attacking side!

Smacks of a Football Manager who is desperate... I guess it'll be a 4-4-2 / 4-2-4 with Lookman on the Left of Midfield and Reza on the Right.
    Surely it's 4-2-3-1
  • get well soon Fanny

interesting team, if Bristol City have problems scoring we might not loose, and that is my optimistic view
  • edited December 2015
    Looking at that lineup this match could well end up 6-5 either way!
  • Sponsored links:

• ross1 said:

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 2m2 minutes ago
    CHARLTON | Henderson, Solly, Diarra, Lennon, Fox, Cousins, Jackson, Vaz Te, Ghoochannejhad, Lookman, Makienok #cafc
    CHARLTON SUBS | Pope, Sarr, Holmes-Dennis, Moussa, Ba, Charles-Cook, Ahearne-Grant #cafc

That looks like 4-2-3-1. If it is, we are not protecting our full back positions against their wing backs, which is a big gamble. We are also allowing Freeman space in front of the Centre Backs. We will need to take control of midfield very early and dominate the central areas throughout the 90 mins, to win this. We will need a similar fast start to the Brighton game. A shame that Diarra has to play at CB.
  • Another ridiculously unbalanced and over-attacking line-up. He's so inept and clueless it's unreal. Katrien Meire and Roland Duchatelet must see this, but clearly don't care about footballing performance.

Three forwards on the pitch away from home another week after getting hammered and not scoring.

We're down already unless there are drastic changes throughout the club soon.
  • Think we will need at least 3 to win this one sadly. Look so weak defensively.
  • Fanny hope you feel better very soon. I will wager you'll be there on Monday
  • Anytime we start with Diarra,Jackson, Vaz and Lookie - we have a chance.

Good luck lads - make it 51 Jacko !
  • ross1 said:

4-2-3-1? No JBG

On current form he does not deserve a place even on the bench.
  • So we look like being outgunned in central midfield, and our fullbacks will be horribly exposed. If BC can exploit that we'll on for another tonking. Not that results and wins matter in Universe Duchatalet.
  • That team is bonkers. Would love to be proven wrong at full time but it stinks of a manager who doesn't have a bloody clue.
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

ross1 said:

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 2m2 minutes ago

That looks like 4-2-3-1. If it is, we are not protecting our full back positions against their wing backs, which is a big gamble. We are also allowing Freeman space in front of the Centre Backs. We will need to take control of midfield very early and dominate the central areas throughout the 90 mins, to win this. We will need a similar fast start to the Brighton game. A shame that Diarra has to play at CB.
    Taking control of the midfield is not something we're particularly good at. That lineup smacks of desperation by a "manager" who is way out of his league!
  • Thanks for the good wishes, guys.

Trouble is, wine seems to exacerbate my condition !