Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Riga sacked by Metz

Comments

• edited December 2015
    LoOkOuT said:

Don't you see how this works???

Roland keeps pushing standards lower and lower so that now we're arguing over how great it would be to have yet another Belgian no mark—already let go from the club and now cast off from a second division French side, no less—and that seems acceptable!

Roland is destroying us.

It's a step up from Belgian third division side I guess. Which is basically your point.

The way I see it, we are in a mess right now. Fraeye will not get us out of it. Riga has before, albeit under different circumstances. If I have to choose between those two, it's Riga, no doubt. In an ideal world however, neither would be anywhere near Charlton, but unfortunately we live in Roland's world.
  • It's interesting. On the face of it Riga and Fraeye weren't hugely different hires. Riga joined us with no experience other than having worked with AC Milan's youth team and Fraeye joined us with pub league experience in Belgium. And yet the difference between them is incredible, because Riga showed that he knew from very early on how to set up a team to not be beaten. That 1-0 win against Bournemouth sums Riga's time with us up for me more than any of the bigger wins. We dug in in that match and defended for our lives, and at the end we somehow came away with three barely deserved points from a late Dervite goal (and a Kermorgant assist). I at no point can imagine us under Fraeye turning up against a decent side in this league and committing an act of desperate robbery like that. Not ever. Mostly because we play with 35 strikers every game and because he clearly can't coach that mentality into the players. Sometimes I feel like if Euell wasn't there Fraeye would start a youth team striker in goal just in case it worked, and accordingly we concede 3 or 4 goals against any decent team who can be bothered.

When you're in a relegation scrap like we are you get out by first making yourselves hard to beat. We don't need to go racing into 2-0 leads if we then bin them off because the young squad have literally no idea what to do when they get into that position. Fraeye would have been much better served getting the base sorted, but instead he just unleashes every attack-minded player we have on the opposition every week and wonders sadly why we get overloaded at the back every match. You would think RD would wonder what the difference is between Fraeye and Riga when in theory they should be similar managers, especially having worked together, and see that Fraeye's lack of ability to set up a team tactically and coach players through a game is a terminal issue, but then as is often said, RD isn't a football man.

To be fair to KF (the coach), we are very weak in central defence at the moment. If we had Morrison and Dervite in our team, with Richard Wood to cover, then we wouldn't be in the bottom 3, it's our crippling weaknesses in that area which will relegate us, if not rectified. It's exactly the same as the Pardew relegation squad, where he left us with one decent CB.
    I don't agree. Bauer is a decent centre half and I'd take him alongside Morrison. Sarr is a dodgy, dodgy young player but he's also commonly exposed. Fox is also regularly left exposed by our lack of support at left midfield. We've got the same right back we had under Riga and possibly a better keeper. If we had better centre halves we'd be better off but we'd still be in the bottom three because we'd still have the opposition swarming our wings and driving through the middle of the pitch when we're left exposed again because for some reason Lookman, Rea, Vaz Te and Gudmundsson are all on the pitch. Having just Diarra and Jackson covering while the opposition drives at us is a deathwish.
  • It's interesting. On the face of it Riga and Fraeye weren't hugely different hires. Riga joined us with no experience other than having worked with AC Milan's youth team

This is not true. Riga had brought RAEC Mons into the top tier in Belgium and managed them there for a further two seasons. He was also manager of Standard Liege for a season before he came to Charlton.
  • Riga is best out of the four we've had since Powell was sacked.I don't think we will get better than him out of the net work. I thought the football we played under him was best to watch.although we did get thumped 3-0 a few times we also won a few. I can't see roland getting anyone else in but think He might bring Riga back and if it's a choice between Karel and Riga I'll take Riga as our main hope of staying up.
  • would take riga over fraeye, doesnt mean hes the answer to all of our prayers but its better than we already have, so i would take him for the moment monitor him closely and whilst doing that look for a proven british manager.
  • Don't think they are looking for a new coach manager that's why I'd take Riga only hope we have
  • Riga is best out of the four we've had since Powell was sacked.I don't think we will get better than him out of the net work. I thought the football we played under him was best to watch.although we did get thumped 3-0 a few times we also won a few. I can't see roland getting anyone else in but think He might bring Riga back and if it's a choice between Karel and Riga I'll take Riga as our main hope of staying up.

I feel the football we played under Riga being the best to watch is a bit of a miff. In fact I didn't see much difference between his football and the football Powell started playing towards the end of his tenure. Basically a lot of sideways and backwards passing with Poyet being the focal point. That being said he did use Harriott to good effect.

I'd actually argue that the best and most exciting football we have played in recent years would be from an in form Luzon team... Though the first half of that Norwich game under Luzon was also one of the worst.
  • Riga won only one game in 15 at the freak show of Blackpool , I think even Clark had a better record than him there

Done a fine job at Charlton with some better players than we now have so will be a tougher ask

doesn't really matter who we get until the fuckwit owner changes tack the results won't come

Final line, exactly.
  • Sponsored links:

• I like the guy and am grateful to him for helping to keep Charlton up that season. Would I want him back? Not now. Had he shown some self respect and NOT gone back to Standard for a second time under RD, having been sacked by him once at Standard and not having his contract renewed at Charlton by RD, I may think otherwise. But, whilst I like him, he has shown to me to be nothing more than yet another RD puppet, albeit, one with a bit of managerial talent.

And herein lies the problem.....it doesn't matter who comes in to manage us, they will be expected to be RD's and KM's puppet and personally, I don't think you can be a good manager all the time you have others breathing down your neck, buying the players, telling you who to play, who to sell, who to bring in from the youth set up etc. A good manager is someone who is trusted by the owners and CEO to do their job. To go out and buy the players they want, based on their judgement. To watch their players train day in day out and then be trusted to play those players in the positions they feel they should be played.......Riga, or any other manager, sorry, Head Coach, will be expected to do as they are told and Riga has demonstrated more than once that he is happy to be that person.

I want a manager to come in who has the balls to say, i'll take on the job, this is what I want. This is how i'll do it. Back me or find someone else.
  • Under Riga we won 7 out of 16 games, couldn't see us winning 7 out of the remaining 24 under KF. Would have him back, simply because KF is useless and it will give us a better chance of staying up.

Having said that, unless we act quickly in the transfer window to get 4-5 solid players in, we're doomed even if we get Alex Ferguson in.

• I'd actually argue that the best and most exciting football we have played in recent years would be from an in form Luzon team... Though the first half of that Norwich game under Luzon was also one of the worst.

I'd say the football Bob Peeters got us playing when he started was the best. Derby springs to mind and the Watford game.
  • I would have him for the short term, as he is the only one of the RD hired coaches to have even been close to qualified for a job like ours, might just keep us in the second tier but he would ultimately change nothing about the true failings at our club, so nothing to get excited about.
  • They say in life never go back, so I would just like to remember him as the Coach who rescued us from relegation. There are a lot of decent British Coaches out there Tisdale, O Driscoll, Pearson, Clarke, Hoddle, Sherwood, Curbishley etc.
  • I can imagine pinky and perky on the blower now on a four-way skype chat wtih Riga and Fraeye working out the terms of employment.

RD
    Hello again Jose you can start straight away you are obviously the fans favourite they love your ..how you say in south east london ...your er whistle ? you will receive 45k plus a dry cleaning bonus if we stay up .Katrien sort out the papers
    KM
    Yes Mr Goldfinger ..er sorry, Roland ,whatever you say ( with the sound of a Sandie Shaw hit playing in the background)
    RD
    As for you Fraeye your suit is a disgrace but you will work with Jose on a salary of 20k and a C and A gift voucher bonus if we stay up .Sort out the papers Katrien
    KM
    Of course Master ..er sorry Roland (whilst tugging forelock)
    JR and KF (in unison)
    We thankyou most sincerely for your kind offers especially the clothing related incentives ,just one thing is it ok we have a half day on Xmas day ?
    RD
    OK then but no more negotiating !..its gives me nightmares ,especially on christmas eve! And a Joyeux Noel to you ...
    how you say?... Bah Humbug !

• dickplumb said:

They say in life never go back, so I would just like to remember him as the Coach who rescued us from relegation. There are a lot of decent British Coaches out there Tisdale, O Driscoll, Pearson, Clarke, Hoddle, Sherwood, Curbishley etc.

Of course there are, but we aren't likely to get any of them.
  • Meire was a massive fan of Riga and no matter how it has been spun later she was absolutely gutted when Roland didn't keep him on and hired Peeters. Like most on here there are plenty of other people I'd rather see in charge, but under the current ownership I feel this is likely the best option available. What a shit state of affairs this whole thing is.
  • Please come back Jose!!!
  • Rob62 said:

Meire was a massive fan of Riga and no matter how it has been spun later she was absolutely gutted when Roland didn't keep him on and hired Peeters. Like most on here there are plenty of other people I'd rather see in charge, but under the current ownership I feel this is likely the best option available. What a shit state of affairs this whole thing is.

She has an opinion?
  • Sponsored links:

• lolwray said:

I can imagine pinky and perky on the blower now on a four-way skype chat wtih Riga and Fraeye working out the terms of employment.

RD
    Hello again Jose you can start straight away you are obviously the fans favourite they love your ..how you say in south east london ...your er whistle ? you will receive 45k plus a dry cleaning bonus if we stay up .Katrien sort out the papers
    KM
    Yes Mr Goldfinger ..er sorry, Roland ,whatever you say ( with the sound of a Sandie Shaw hit playing in the background)
    RD
    As for you Fraeye your suit is a disgrace but you will work with Jose on a salary of 20k and a C and A gift voucher bonus if we stay up .Sort out the papers Katrien
    KM
    Of course Master ..er sorry Roland (whilst tugging forelock)
    JR and KF (in unison)
    We thankyou most sincerely for your kind offers especially the clothing related incentives ,just one thing is it ok we have a half day on Xmas day ?
    RD
    OK then but no more negotiating !..its gives me nightmares ,especially on christmas eve! And a Joyeux Noel to you ...
    how you say?... HUH Humbug !

Fixed.

• Rob62 said:

Meire was a massive fan of Riga and no matter how it has been spun later she was absolutely gutted when Roland didn't keep him on and hired Peeters. Like most on here there are plenty of other people I'd rather see in charge, but under the current ownership I feel this is likely the best option available. What a shit state of affairs this whole thing is.

I remember chatting to her a fee days after the Watford game that kept us up.

She clearly liked Riga, commented on how calm he was and spoke as if it was a given that he would stay.

Which only makes what happened next more bizarre.
  • Rob62 said:

She was not telling me that on the way back from Blackburn last season.
  • He would most definitely be a very good 'Interim' 'Interim' manager!!!
    Good god what a bloody mess this GREAT club is in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • edited December 2015

Rob62 said:

She clearly liked Riga, commented on how calm he was and spoke as if it was a given that he would stay.

Not that strange really. She had no input on the decision. Was told what Roland had decided and that was it.
  • edited December 2015

Rob62 said:

She was not telling me that on the way back from Blackburn last season.
    Well she wasn't telling the truth then. There were plenty of people who saw her reaction when she found out the news, and she wasn't hiding how upset she was.
  • Rob62 said:

Rob62 said:

Not that strange really. She had no input on the decision. Was told what Roland had decided and that was it.
    True but still bizarre that Roland would do what he did. Or maybe not. Bumpy ride and all that. Which reminds me Where is @seriously_red these days : - )
  • Rob62 said:

Rob62 said:

True but still bizarre that Roland would do what he did. Or maybe not. Bumpy ride and all that. Which reminds me Where is @seriously_red these days : - )
    Oh yeah totally bizarre decision from Roland, but that's par for the course
  • Rob62 said:

Rob62 said:

Please. Did you have to? Just before Christmas?
  • Jose was OK in my book. Had a bit of something about him that the other RD appointments lacked. Given RD's stubborness about recruiting only from the continent, Jose would be our best hope of staying up IMHO.