Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bristol City v Charlton | Boxing Day | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Bristol City v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 26 December 2015 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Oliver Langford (West Midlands)

Introduction

It’s that time again where families gather and be thankful for what they have got in their lives, once all is said and done on Christmas Day we instantly move on to Boxing Day, a day for returning those horrible socks that we’ve received or the technology that you already have… For some it’s a chance to go and watch some Football, after all the Christmas matches here in England have become a favourite part of the season for fans, yet time of year dreaded by Football Managers.

Boxing Day is seen as the end of part one of the Football season, so far the Addicks have played twenty two teams in the Division and just the one team remains before we do it all again… It’s not been a great season for Charlton yet look on the bright side, with all Leagues in Europe grounding to a halt for a few weeks it means that we are the sole child of Roland still operating so our next couple of matches should see us getting his whole attention… It starts this Boxing Day against Bristol City.

The Opposition
Name: Bristol City | Manager: Steve Cotterill
Ground: Ashton Gate | Nickname: The Robins

One item associated with Christmas is the Robin so with Bristol City playing host to Charlton this Christmas it’s sort of ironic that this match will be a battle of the two Robins (Well sort of seeing that our main nickname is of course; the Addicks), when writing this preview, all I know for sure is that despite all the issues between club and fan at present, that the comms team will be sure to tweet live updates (Sorry couldn’t resist).

Bristol City themselves are named the Robins due to the simple fact that a robin was on the club crest from 1976 through to 1994 yet the club came into existence long before these two dates (as your about to find out)… Bristol South End (as they were so named) were founded in 1894, three years later they became a professional club when they were admitted into the Southern League, this decision let to a name change to their current name: Bristol City.

In 1900, Bristol City amalgamated with rivals: Bedminster and a year later became only the third club south of Birmingham to join the Football League (joining Woolwich Arsenal and Luton Town in the process), they would go on to win their first match 2-0 away at Blackpool and would finish sixth in the Second Division in that first season, the two Robins wouldn’t meet until 1923 in the Third Division South when Charlton would go on to win 1-0 at the Valley.

Last Meeting @ Ashton Gate: Bristol City 0-2 Charlton Athletic

Charlton Team News
With this week being Christmas am unsure if there will be a Press Day at all this week… Once again injuries seem to have returned to haunt Charlton with Ricardo Vaz Te being forced off against Burnley on Saturday whilst fellow attackers: Ademola Lookman and Johann Gudmundsson were rested, so far as I’m aware there are few other injuries to worry about so Karel Fraeye should have a pretty much full squad to choose from.

Henderson
Solly … Lennon … Diarra … Fox
Gudmundsson … Jackson … Cousins … Reza
Lookman … Makienok

Substitutes Bench: Pope … Sarr … Holmes-Dennis … Konsa … Ba … Ahearne-Grant … Charles-Cook

Prediction
Bristol City 1-2 Charlton Athletic

You may wonder why this preview is going up today rather than tomorrow (Seeing that Boxing Day falls on a Saturday this year), quite simply because of Christmas I’m not sure if I’ll have time to create the Wolves preview on Sunday so to play it safe I’ll be typing that preview tomorrow ready for it to be posted on Sunday.

As this is my last Preview before Christmas, would just like to say once again… Thanks for reading… Have a Merry Christmas and stay safe!!

Comments

• News shopper reporting that Bauer and Vaz Ta likely to miss this and Wolves games.

Club "hopeful" that Lookman and Gudmundsson could return.
  • News shopper reporting that Bauer and Vaz Ta likely to miss this and Wolves games.

Cheers hadnt seem that... I've amended my line-up
  • Can't see us scoring enough goals to win the game.

2.3 defeat.

Disappointing... leaving aside the usual caveats about out crapness against the teams around us, the likes of Bristol City and Wolves are both winnable games
  • 3-0 defeat despite being the better side ( again) .

I do feel for players who have to miss the Christmas program with slight knocks.

• Unfortunately, there is little chance of snow so that the game is postponed until the six quality Championship players arrive.

For those travelling by road on the M4:

Try Charlton Heston services and recall some happy Memburies on the way down. On the way back, wonder why we always underaChieveley, start Reading the post match views on CL having stopped earlier at Leigh DelaNightmare.

I do feel for players who have to miss the Christmas program with slight knocks.

They don't make them like they used to.
  • Merry Christmas Waggy
    12.jpg 14.4K
  • Sponsored links:

• 3-1 loss. We score in our 'good' 45 mins. Then crumble in the second half. In the immortal words of Status Quo, we are "down, down, deeper and down.....".
  • We will lose. The likelyhood it will be 3-0 but I could be wrong, 4-0 or 5-0.

Dang, why aren't Carols tactics from the Belgian 3rd division working in this league?
  • We can't expect Charlton to be a team to go away and compete with teams or win games (c) Karel Fraeye.

0-3 defeat.
  • Haven't been down there since that infamous FA Cup game. What jolly japes. Not going to this one either! Come on Welling....
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • 9-0 defeat, Fraeye personally sprays bullets into the away end at the final whistle

... ;)
  • Henderson
    Solly Diarra Sarr THD
    Cousins Ba Jackson
    Gudmundsson
    Makienok Lookman

3-0 to us and everyone scratches their nads in confusion
  • I fear a drubbing, 0=5.

But don't worry, Pinocchio has everything under control.

And Carols post match comments will send Charlton Life into Boxing Night meltdown.
  • Proper relegation battle this one which our current squad and setup is I'll equipped for and I doubt Karel the clown will have galvanised the team this week after his post match comments against Burnley.

We'll crumble again to a convincing loss. We can't defend, we lose midfield battles and up front despite trying 101 different partnerships they have managed 9 goals between them. Not forgetting our squad are not fit enough to last 90 minutes.

And then we get to do it all again 2 days later vs Wolves. Merry Christmas.
  • Sponsored links:

• Superb for 44 mins. 3-0 defeat.
  • edited December 2015
    0-2. Not seeing a light at the end of the tunnel
  • Lookman to score all nine goals in our 5-4 defeat with nine men.
  • Bristol have let in as many goals as we have (38), so it's two teams with porous defences. They really are barely better than us. On that basis, a 2-2 draw
  • Charlton edge a victory in the first 7-6 since 1957.
  • 0-2
    Sadly Mr Tatters, not a football fan, needs me to cook more food that day so I'll be nipping to VGD vs Tonbridge Angels instead.
  • I really want to say we can win this one, but sadly with our paper thin squad I cant see anything better that a point, but more than likely another defeat is looming, 1-2 Bristol City.

I will not be completing the match thread this week, I will be spending time with my family as we are going out for the day. So although I have said it on the Merry Christmas thread already, can I say it again on here and also thank-you for your continued support of the match thread this season. I hope that in the second half of the season it will be a much happier thread as we start a run of wins!! My thanks go to @sethplum, @ross1, and @addickted2TheReds + everyone else who contributes to the match day threads.........................MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!!!!!!
  • 1-0 Bristol, we will improve though, we'll be the best team for 52 minutes this time so yay
  • Might get a point, but I have been told by Carol not to expect anything. So I don't, but then again I have expected nothing but disappointment since you were appointed.
  • I'm giving up on wildly optimistic predictions.

2-0 Charlton