Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Burnley v Charlton - Post Match Thread

124»

Comments

• The results, as well as the inability to hold on to a lead, should surprise nobody. There's a reason Fraeye was languishing in the Belgian Division 3. He is either not good enough or has not yet learned anough about management. On the evidence so far he lacks the tactical know-how, something other clubs with better structures (ie most in the Championship) will see through straight away (as seems to have happened). This cannot get better. If it was so easy to find a manager to cope at this level in what amounts to non-league football, most clubs would do the same. Only it's not.
  • edited December 2015
    Tutt-Tutt said:

@vff said: This was the challenge, Fraeye has the diamond in midfield but there is a lack of width with that formation. Charlton are not strong in the wide positions. What does Fraeye do now, his attempted formation has been worked out by the opposition managers ? Peters and Luzon had no plan B (not helped by a limited squad). It will be interesting to see if Fraeye has a plan B either. It would not be wise holding your breath for that.

Reply - Carol started with a 4-4-2 in his opening games, which didn't work. He switched to a 4-1-4-1 at Middlesbrough with Ba(!!) in front, which lasted 50 mins before caving in. He switched to a 4-4-2 Diamond against Sheff Wed & Birmingham, which caught out Carvahal (limited coach) and Rowett (Surprisingly), before McCarthy & Ipswich ripped it apart. So onto Brighton & 4-2-3-1, and a two nil lead at half-time disappeared when Hughton changed tactics for the second half, to attack the exposed full back positions. The Leeds game between two teams playing one up front ended 0-0, although we were hanging on at the end & we were too open v Bolton.

So onto yesterday and a return to the Diamond, which Dyche wasn't expecting, as we have been 4-2-3-1 in the last two games. He obviously got his team over-loading the exposed full back areas in the second half, which will pull the diamond across and in turn open up the middle, as Ipswich did. Standard coaching.

Is it Carol coming up with the constant change of tactics, or Euell? Jacko went to great lengths to tell us at the PowerPoint meeting, that the coach was listening to him and he was having more input. Is it all three combined? Whatever is happening at half time, is also part of the problem, because Championship level coaches will adjust their tactics, whereas we continue the same way and are sitting ducks against the better teams.

So what next? I particularly enjoyed the 2-3-5 WM formation in the last 15 minutes against Bolton. Great to see it back in action after all these years.

A third Division Belgian coach, which is the equivalent of the Ryman Premier, (I know first-hand because I've played at Carol's club Zele on a pre-season tour), has no chance against Championship level coaches. They see right through his basic non-league tactics."

What team and formation would you have employed yesterday?
  • Seems that Newcastle and Villa's owners have the same game plan as Roland, with the same underwhelming results in terms of leagu positions. Have a read of this: http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/dec/18/newcastle-aston-villa-transfer-tactics-remi-garde
  • Seems that Newcastle and Villa's owners have the same game plan as Roland, with the same underwhelming results in terms of leagu positions. Have a read of this: http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/dec/18/newcastle-aston-villa-transfer-tactics-remi-garde

Thing is, Ashley is making money at Newcastle. I think they have been in profit for four consecutive years. The problem for the club is that they are massively in debt to Mike Ashley, over £100m in debt in fact, and from a fans point of view they are just treading water at minimum. As you say it's very similar to what RD is doing with Charlton, though Ashley seems to be making a better fist of it as Newcastle are currently in the Premier League and making good money. Ashley always seems to appoint managers that have some kind of experience. Keegan, Allardyce, Pardew, McLaren, even Kinnear and Shearer at least knew and understood the English game.

Thing is, Ashley is making money at Newcastle. I think they have been in profit for four consecutive years. The problem for the club is that they are massively in debt to Mike Ashley, over £100m in debt in fact, and from a fans point of view they are just treading water at minimum. As you say it's very similar to what RD is doing with Charlton, though Ashley seems to be making a better fist of it as Newcastle are currently in the Premier League and making good money. Ashley always seems to appoint managers that have some kind of experience. Keegan, Allardyce, Pardew, McLaren, even Kinnear and Shearer at least knew and understood the English game.
    What Newcastle and CAFC have in common is an arrogant rich owner who thinks his view is the only one and that nobody else matters. Newcastle have enough adoring fans and just enough talent to get away with it (assuming their goal is avoiding relegation, which it is). We don't.
  • Good point. But it seems that Ashley realises that he gets a better return by being in the Premier League and has appointed the right people and bought the right players to get them there. That said, I wouldn't want Ashley involved with Charlton.

• Can anyone check the stats and tell me how many (sane) managers in charge of a bottom four team have played three up front away from home, against a fancied former Premiership team?

Or would we have played five up front if JBG and Lookman were available?

30 minutes of semi-fluid football followed by a complete tonking make interesting viewing for the neutral but it's unconventional survival tactics, to say the least.

But what options did we have to stiffen up the midfield? Ba was missing (presumably injured), so we had NO central midfielders on the bench unless you count Konsa?
  • Oakster said:

I watched the Whitehawk - Daggers game, Obileye looked ok - same age more or less as Sarr. He should come back in January and at least offer something else in defence.

Did you? Whitehawk played Dartford, I thought.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good point. But it seems that Ashley realises that he gets a better return by being in the Premier League and has appointed the right people and bought the right players to get them there. That said, I wouldn't want Ashley involved with Charlton.

I think we've had our version of Ashley already.

• As he has no idea on tactics and we will probably have half the team injured, just pick 11 players, mainly youth players, tell them to go out and enjoy their selves, its Christmas
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

Simonsen said:

Tutt-Tutt said:

@vff said: This was the challenge, Fraeye has the diamond in midfield but there is a lack of width with that formation. Charlton are not strong in the wide positions. What does Fraeye do now, his attempted formation has been worked out by the opposition managers ? Peters and Luzon had no plan B (not helped by a limited squad). It will be interesting to see if Fraeye has a plan B either. It would not be wise holding your breath for that.

Reply - Carol started with a 4-4-2 in his opening games, which didn't work. He switched to a 4-1-4-1 at Middlesbrough with Ba(!!) in front, which lasted 50 mins before caving in. He switched to a 4-4-2 Diamond against Sheff Wed & Birmingham, which caught out Carvahal (limited coach) and Rowett (Surprisingly), before McCarthy & Ipswich ripped it apart. So onto Brighton & 4-2-3-1, and a two nil lead at half-time disappeared when Hughton changed tactics for the second half, to attack the exposed full back positions. The Leeds game between two teams playing one up front ended 0-0, although we were hanging on at the end & we were too open v Bolton.

So onto yesterday and a return to the Diamond, which Dyche wasn't expecting, as we have been 4-2-3-1 in the last two games. He obviously got his team over-loading the exposed full back areas in the second half, which will pull the diamond across and in turn open up the middle, as Ipswich did. Standard coaching.

Is it Carol coming up with the constant change of tactics, or Euell? Jacko went to great lengths to tell us at the PowerPoint meeting, that the coach was listening to him and he was having more input. Is it all three combined? Whatever is happening at half time, is also part of the problem, because Championship level coaches will adjust their tactics, whereas we continue the same way and are sitting ducks against the better teams.

So what next? I particularly enjoyed the 2-3-5 WM formation in the last 15 minutes against Bolton. Great to see it back in action after all these years.

A third Division Belgian coach, which is the equivalent of the Ryman Premier, (I know first-hand because I've played at Carol's club Zele on a pre-season tour), has no chance against Championship level coaches. They see right through his basic non-league tactics."
    What team and formation would you have employed yesterday?
    It's easy to pick a team after the game. Most people guess before the game, without the opposition scouting reports or information on your own team. A system also needs to have a pattern of play, a method of getting the ball into the last third to attack the opposition.

Burnley were 4-4-2 in the televised games against Brighton at home, at Rotherham & at Derby, so it was a fair bet they are going to play 4-4-2 to 4-2-4, (although they switched it to match up with Middlesbrough in midweek, which may have confused our illustrious coaching team). Burnley's system is strong on the right, with Boyd coming in off the flank and the right back Darikwa or Lowton supporting quickly on the outside, to overload the opposition left back position. So you have to pay attention to that, perhaps double-up on the left with two full backs. I didn't go yesterday, but I'm guessing that Dyche got his right back forward quicker in the second half, giving Fox a 1v2 situation. Jacko then has to come out of the left midfield position of the diamond to pick up the right back. That in turn pulls the diamond across and opens up the space in the middle, Boyd then runs riot on the inside and Lowton gets down the outside of Jacko, who hasn't got the legs to cover him. (Someone who was at the game commented we were wide open down the left). @Northstandsteve also made the comment in the Brighton match thread, that Bruno kept running past Lookman to overload the left back in the second half turn-around, and Holmes-Dennis found out the hard way against Warren Feeney in the Bolton game, what it's like to be isolated 2v1.

Burnley's strength going forward is also a weakness. Boyd is an attacking midfielder and ineffective when having to run back towards his own goal. So if you can win enough possession to get your left back running forward and you have an orthodox left winger/midfielder pinning down Lowton, you can cause them problems. Middlesborough are perfectly set up to get George Friend forward outside of Adomah, which is probably why Dyche changed his system for the game during the midweek.

So, 4-4-1-1, 4-4-2 or 4-1-4-1, with Holmes-Dennis in front of Fox, or even a Harriott to get at Lowton, would have nullified the strength on their right. Although, judging by the reports, the player at the top of the Diamond also caused them problems during the first half.

When you look at a system, look at the personnel, but also look at where the space is in that system. Both 4-2-3-1 & the 4-4-2 Diamond system leaves the full backs exposed. So make sure you have strong full backs and the majority of the possession, otherwise you will be over-loaded in the full back areas whenever the opposition full backs run forward.

Onto Bristol City, who use a 5-2-1-2 to 3-4-1-2 system, based on three centre backs Baker-Flint-Ayling. Williams & Bennett are wing backs, Pack & Smith in Central Midfield, Freeman in the hole behind the Front 2 of Kojia & Wilbraham. Cardiff went 4-4-2 against them (0-0) & Forest 4-3-3 (0-2), in televised matches earlier in the season. The space is in behind the wing backs, especially on the counter-attack. WTF the Belgian maestro comes up with for this one is anyone's guess.

So THD instead of Reza or Makienok in a 4-4-2?
  • 'It's a mental thing, that's for sure'. 'We are good mentally'. Said in the same interview. Guy really hadn't got a clue.
  • 'It's a mental thing, that's for sure'. 'We are good mentally'. Said in the same interview. Guy really hadn't got a clue.

I think Guy had more of a clue than Carol!
  • One other point .. there were no bookings in the game yesterday .. whilst not advocating over dirty and foul play, a team in our position would be expected to show more aggression, a more do or die, a blood and thunder approach, but no ..
    Fraeye sounds and looks like a bloodless man, a functionary, I can imagine him being good with the tactical battle plans but when it comes to passion and rabble rousing, just no .. not a man to lead his troops into vital battles.

I have been in favour of giving Fraeye a chance BUT, since Saturday I have had a 180 degree change of heart .. he's gotta go .. he seems to be a 'nice man', however, in our position, we don't need 'nice', we need a tempestuous leader, a Ferguson, a Redknapp, an Allardyce, a Warnock, a British hard man manager .. some hopes though
  • edited December 2015
    I'll start with the positives: the Charlton fans showed wonderful gallows humour throughout, and I ticked off another ground. (Quote by Epsom Addick).

That was how I used to see it when I regularly went to away games....me and my mates would often have a cracking day out despite....you guessed the football...in a nutshell the football was secondry it was all about the day out with mates and having a laugh with fellow Charlton supporters....ticking another ground off, seeing another bit of the country, going in different pubs etc were far more important/enjoyable then the actual football....it goes with the territory when following Charlton away.
  • I'll start with the positives: the Charlton fans showed wonderful gallows humour throughout, and I ticked off another ground. (Quote by Epsom Addick).

That was how I used to see it when I regularly went to away games....me and my mates would often have a cracking day out despite....you guessed the football...in a nutshell the football was secondry it was all about the day out with mates and having a laugh with fellow Charlton supporters....ticking another ground off, seeing another bit of the country, going in different pubs etc were far more important/enjoyable then the actual football....it goes with the territory when following Charlton away.

Agreed. It did help if we won as well (which in my early days was about as often as it is now).
  • Sponsored links:

• Simonsen said:

I'll start with the positives: the Charlton fans showed wonderful gallows humour throughout, and I ticked off another ground. (Quote by Epsom Addick).

Agreed. It did help if we won as well (which in my early days was about as often as it is now).
    Simonsen said:

Absolutely.....we are probably of a similar age.
  • Simonsen said:

Simonsen said:

You're probably aged between about 30 and 70 then.
  • Rob said:

Simonsen said:

Simonsen said:

You're probably aged between about 30 and 70 then.
    Bang in the middle for me...50.