Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Bolton | Tue 15 Dec | 7:45pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Bolton Wanderers
Tuesday 15 December 2015 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Graham Horwood (Luton)

Introduction

Whenever a team gets relegated from the Premier League the first thoughts these days don’t appear to be: Will that side make an instant return to the Premier League, instead we appear to have gone down the route of: Does that side have sense to ensure they don’t get relegated further… Every side that is relegated from the Premier League receives the infamous parachute payment but many clubs have proven that they don’t know how to use that money sensibly and are subsequently sent down to League One (Charlton and Wolves are two perfect examples of this).

There are also the clubs that don’t seem to realise that every season, three clubs have to be relegated from the top flight so pile the club with large amounts of debt, our opponents this Tuesday are one such club, having attracted big name players from Real Madrid, their owner Phil Gartside never imaged that his side would be playing Championship Football again, yet despite wanting a second Premier League (maybe for this very reason), bad decisions condemned his side back to the English Second Tier, Bolton Wanderers have never looked like returning to the cream of English Football and with rising debts, and the risk of Administration looking ever closer on the horizon, things look bleak for a side who once enjoyed the fruits of European Football.

To all fans of Football clubs who want their owners to spend and spend… the danger signs of that risky approach are still there for all too see.

The Opposition
Name: Bolton Wanderers | Manager: Neil Lennon
Ground: The Macron Stadium | Nickname: The Trotters

Bolton haven’t always been in financial trouble, in fact it’s another interesting trip down memory lane, with recent history topics; Leeds and Brighton always being known by their respective names, Bolton themselves haven’t always been called Bolton... They were founded in 1874 by a Reverend Ogden who was the Master of a School named: Christchurch, so naturally, the first name of this Northern club was: Christ Church FC… This name didn’t last as once again another dispute arose (this time with the local Vicar) and Christ Church FC left their original location and became Bolton Wanderers, this all complete by 1877.

Of course, Bolton will forever go down in Football League history; they were one of the twelve founder members (and have yet to leave the Football League since it was formed in 1888), in fact Bolton have spent more of their history in the top flight of English Football than they have out of it, of course that first season has always been about Preston North End and the fact that they went on an unbeaten run yet in Bolton’s case they finished that season in fifth place (four places behind fierce rivals; Blackburn Rovers).

In 1923, they won the first FA Cup Final at Wembley Stadium yet that FA Cup year was all about another club; Charlton Athletic… The word; Giant-Killing was first referred to Third Division Charlton and their exploits that season beating Preston North End and West Bromwich Albion on their way to the Quarter-Finals, there they met Bolton Wanderers for the first time in their history but it wasn’t to be a third victory in the competition as the Addicks would lose 1-0 to the eventual winners.

Last Meeting @ the Valley: Charlton Athletic 2-1 Bolton Wanderers

Charlton Team News
Saturdays match must be one of the first games this season where we didn’t lose a single player to injury… Harry Lennon suffered a bit of cramp yet should hopefully be fit for the match tomorrow following an impressive run out whilst fellow Defender: Patrick Bauer serves the last of his two match ban… Morgan Fox was dropped to the bench for Leeds yet following the performance of Tarieq Holmes-Dennis, it’s impossible to see him being dropped whilst you’d expect the front three from Leeds to continue after Simon Makienok and Karlan Ahearne-Grant failed to make an impact from the bench (despite limited minutes).

Henderson
Solly … Diarra … Lennon … Holmes-Dennis
Gudmundsson … Cousins … Jackson … Lookman
Vaz Te … Ghoochannejhad

Substitutes Bench: Pope … Fox … Sarr … Ba … Charles-Cook … Makienok … Ahearne-Grant

Prediction
Charlton Athletic 2-0 Bolton Wanderers

Comments

• 2-1 and the excitement levels at The Valley reach fever pitch for the 6,500 Addicks who made it to SE7
  • 2-0 Addicks, I'm back to do the match thread. Match thread will start at 6.30. COYR's
  • must win - which probably means we will lose 1-0.
  • Bolton are a better side than their league position might suggest. They don't actually concede too many - they just can't score as their strikeforce consists of the limited-trier Gary Madine and the veteran pair Heskey and Ameola.

IF we gift them an early goal as we can do against this kind of side it could be a long old night.

Hopefully we can keep it tight and we'll score early in the second-half then seal it in the dying minutes.

Cmon you Reds!
  • Only thing that concerns me tomorrow is the fact that the majority of the squad were running on fumes at the end of the Leeds game... Now I know these are prof Footballers but are human all the same so just hope they've got energy left for the match.
  • A must win game, pressure on the lads. But I can see Bolton pushing us all the way and they will see us as one of the easiest fixtures on their list on current form. But we'll squeak by 1-0.
  • Charlton's rampant attack run wild...reza promises even more hat-tricks to follow...
  • haven't been this less enthused for a home game for many a year, and I love games under the lights.

daughters school play so I will probably make the 2nd half (unless I check twitter and it's not going well)
  • Sponsored links:

• 0-0. Or 1-0. Or 0-1. Beginning to not care tbh
  • hate weekday night games. due to the fact that drinking is limited. 1-1.
  • Can we achieve Katriens ambition of 20,000 for this game? Bore draw 0-0.
  • this is what Neil Lennon says about the game:

The Northern Irishman has described Tuesday's trip to Charlton, who sit one place and one point above the relegation spots, as a "six-pointer".
    "We have to treat it as a cup tie. It is a game they are capable of winning," said Lennon,

With Lennon in charge they are bound to be physically fit and up for the game so it won't be easy, I reckon who ever scores first wins.
  • Must win game but we won't. 1 - 1

Final statement to RD that we need to get some players in.
  • For a change - a winnable game. But when do we win winnable games? I am looking forward to seeing more of Lookman and Holmes Dennis so a bit more positive than usual. KF needs to find a way to get Lookman as much of the ball as possible.
  • Hoping for a win, as if we can't beat Bolton at the Valley then I will seriously start to fear relegation.
  • I thought Bauer had a two match ban! Is it only one?
  • I thought Bauer had a two match ban! Is it only one?

Correct... Doesn't come back until Burnley
  • Sponsored links:

• If we don't win that will be a hammer blow in my opinion. This fixture was Roland's last game over a year ago. I thought perhaps he might only have a fetish for Bolton at home and might make an appearance, but he has his beam back.

We need to win this. I was impressed with Lookman and THD. I thought Vaz Te looked okay but faded fitness toward the end. Thought both Cousins and Jackson had poor games on Saturday. Cousins really needs to step up now, but I feel he's playing at his level (bottom half championship club - he's def not premier league quality).

1-1 I think :neutral:
  • Charlton win with Vaz Te to score at any time.

Does anyone know how I put that on at the bookies?

Think we will get the 3 points in this one, we have a half decent attacking 4 I believe. Just lacking in strength elsewhere.
  • http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/14/neil-lennon-bolton-players-missed-pay

Anyone see this happening on Wednesday morning after Bolton have won 5-0?
  • Both clubs appropriately end in 'ton' and have a ton of problems. Regrettably, we don't have a player called Willey, otherwise we could all hope that the commentary matched that wonderful cricketing moment with a dropped ball where - "the Bolton defender's Holding, the attacker's Willey". It might have brightened a potentially drab evening.
  • 'Bolton themselves haven’t always been called Bolton' .. the late great James Alexander Gordon called them Bolton Wanderererers ...,

I am always wary of Notlob .. wrote on another post that I recall back in the mists of time, we rarely beat them @ the Valley .. seems though that more recently the tables have turned .. I hope so

They have Madine .. a player that 3/4 years ago, I thought could go a long way until he went off the rails and got banged up for a few weeks .. still .. he's a decent striker IF he's got the right head on ..
    I suspect that Lennon the great has lost interest and is looking for another job in the media ...

irrespective .. we are gonna win this .. we certainly need to and thus stay out of the psychologically important and depressing relegation spots

CAFC 3 v Bolton Wandererers 1
  • edited December 2015
    Neil Lennon will no doubt be hired by BBC or ITV for the Euros this Summer.

Worrying when you hear these comments from the Manager though... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35084988 Surely if they're saying this they should be stepping down?
  • Neil Lennon will no doubt be hired by BBC or ITV for the Euros this Summer.

Worrying when you hear these comments from the Manager though... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35084988... Surely if they're saying this they should be stepping down?

I haven't read that article .. and it's showing as a 404 when I click on .. always considered Lennon to be more suited to meedja than management .. i.e. he's a long winded know all with a nice haircut and a fecking awful accent .. just suited to contemporary telly .. BUT .. no digression .. COME ON YOU ADDICKS ((:>)
  • Neil Lennon will no doubt be hired by BBC or ITV for the Euros this Summer.

Worrying when you hear these comments from the Manager though... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35084988... Surely if they're saying this they should be stepping down?

I haven't read that article .. and it's showing as a 404 when I click on .. always considered Lennon to be more suited to meedja than management .. i.e. he's a long winded know all with a nice haircut and a fecking awful accent .. just suited to contemporary telly .. BUT .. no digression .. COME ON YOU ADDICKS ((:>)
    I've amended the URL now so should work
  • Sigh, 1-0 Charlton. "Closes eyes and waits for the result"
  • Score draw. We don't know how to take the game to relegation rivals. As others have said, Bolton will score early, defend well and we'll nick a point late on.

I'll be there but it just doesn't feel the same. Tuesday nights under the lights I've seen us involved in some cracking competitive games. Now it's either roll over and lose 3-0 or play at 50% and lose 3-0.

Could do worse than making the team watch THAT Cardiff game over and over until kickoff.