Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stengthen the squad in January or be relegated

Comments

• Uboat said:

Resurgent?! On what evidence?

Our recent results. Two good wins against sheff wed and Birmingham. We were desperately unlucky against the unbeaten league leaders Brighton. A battling point against a tough Leeds team. We had one bad game v Ipswich. On Tuesday we will all go nuts beating Bolton.

CAFC are not in the relegation frame!
    Ok, let me see...

We've won two of our last seven. Before that we went on a run of around 10 games without a win. For the whole season we've amassed four wins from 20. Yet we are not in the frame for relegation.

I have to admit mate, I'm scratching my head here.
    On paper that was a tough set of fixtures. 7 points from 15 ain't a bad return.
    We need to continue this good form.
    The thing is, 7 points from 15 is only really good if you haven't dicked up the previous ten fixtures and left yourself with a lot of work to do. We're one point outside the relegation zone despite this apparent glorious upturn in form. I'll take 7 points from a run of 7 tough fixtures if we're sitting mid-table. Otherwise it's just not going to cut it
    Our recent 7 points is a massive improvement.
    The signs are that this will continue and mid table/ cheeky play off place beckons.

Amazing how creeping out of a relegation place breeds such confidence.
  • If the plan is to bring in the youngsters early, keep them so that they are young powerful side in 2-3 years time, I'm behind the plan. However, I suspect it is not the plan and it was not mentioned by the CEO in her PowerPoint presentation.
  • Couple of weeks back I'm sure BPhasnohair said he was going to Welling next year but fair enough if he has changed his mind to continue with Charlton next year but he can't slag off fans for choosing not to go when he was thinking the same a few weeks back
  • Haha. Hoist by his own petard.
    BPhasnocredibility
  • Lol... As I said a few posts above, he's like another Colin. (Sorry to the original Colin. Just couldn't resist)
  • BPhasnohair Member
    November 29
    Having suffered six poor seasons out of seven before RD took over, I was looking forward to a new era with RD and his investment in the club. Having spent another two years being very disappointed with the football I am not going to renew my ST next year
    I really feel gutted but apart from some very talented youth players there are to many players at the Valley that don't have the ability or desire to wear the shirt. I will be going to Welling next season but my heart will always be at the Valley,

Looks like BOhasnohair will be to blame next season

Boom. Back of the net.
  • Sponsored links:

• Am I in the right place for the petty bickering thread ?

I think 95% of the threads fall into that category these days.

Sorry mate, you're too late, BPhasnohair got caught by Admin fair and square :wink:
  • BPhasnolegtostandon

done up like a kipper !

No, this is the 'waiting for BPhasnohair' to come back and explain his trolling ;-)
  • To late to stop relegation. What ever the squad after the new year it will have to win two thirds of the games remaining, that is not going to happen. Sorry it is league 1 football next season.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if we invested in January. Roland is a businessman above all else and relegation would be a disaster to revenue. I suspect he loathes paying lots in player wages as it's money he will never recoup, however if he thinks he can buy young talent across Europe and sell it on at a higher price he will invest. Take the investment in the academy and the number of youth players being offered pro contracts. He clearly sees this as an profit making business.
    The net result is a tiny threadbare senior squad with lots of youth players and the bare minimum spent on wages.
  • msomerton said:

To late to stop relegation. What ever the squad after the new year it will have to win two thirds of the games remaining, that is not going to happen. Sorry it is league 1 football next season.

Of course it isn't too late, we're 1 point off safety, 5 points of 17th

I wouldn't be surprised if we invested in January. Roland is a businessman above all else and relegation would be a disaster to revenue. I suspect he loathes paying lots in player wages as it's money he will never recoup, however if he thinks he can buy young talent across Europe and sell it on at a higher price he will invest. Take the investment in the academy and the number of youth players being offered pro contracts. He clearly sees this as an profit making business.
    The net result is a tiny threadbare senior squad with lots of youth players and the bare minimum spent on wages.

I've no problem with this general concept, the problem is that his transfer gurus are no good at it! Most of their signings we'll lose money over.
  • msomerton said:

To late to stop relegation. What ever the squad after the new year it will have to win two thirds of the games remaining, that is not going to happen. Sorry it is league 1 football next season.

Of course it isn't too late, we're 1 point off safety, 5 points of 17th

I wouldn't be surprised if we invested in January. Roland is a businessman above all else and relegation would be a disaster to revenue. I suspect he loathes paying lots in player wages as it's money he will never recoup, however if he thinks he can buy young talent across Europe and sell it on at a higher price he will invest. Take the investment in the academy and the number of youth players being offered pro contracts. He clearly sees this as an profit making business.

I've no problem with this general concept, the problem is that his transfer gurus are no good at it! Most of their signings we'll lose money over.
    That and it would be much more likely to work if they (and the academy players) were alongside a bigger group of proven Championship players and a proven manager.

In trying to save money by doing it cheaply RD is wasting far more.
  • We have tried to do things on the cheap over the last two seasons and just got away with it, because, believe it or not, we had a slightly stronger starting point (squad/points). However this season after trying to do things on the cheap for a third year in a row, we have been found out. Unless RD REALLY puts his hand in his pocket in January then we are screwed. We need, in my opinion, 47 points in order to stay up - which was 21st place last season, (44 points for 21st place 2013/14). Therefore with 25 games left we need 29 points which is 1.16 points per game, currently after 21 games we are averaging 0.85 points per game. Looking at this realistically we need to win 8 games and draw 5 to get the required 29 points. I cant see at the moment where 8 wins are going to come from when you look at the fixtures we have left, so even if we somehow manage to draw all our remaining games we will still go down.....sad way to look at it I know, but they are the facts!!
    I haven't even dared to think how many points we might need if Bolton, and the rest manage to put a run together!!!
    So those of you thinking we wont go down, just be prepared for what could be a nasty shock, I really hope I'm wrong but fear the worst to be honest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Put this on another thread, but thought it should be here.

Do these statements seem familiar? and look where both clubs are in the league. Let us hope RD is reading this
    Rotherham boss Neil Redfearn has said the club signed some "substandard" players in the summer.
    "We just scraped by last year and then we let good players go and replaced them with players who are substandard," Redfearn added.
    "This isn't going to go away. We have got to get better players in, players who know this level and can compete at this level."
    "We are relying on young guys who are trying to make their way in the game and they can't help themselves so they are going to struggle to help the rest. We didn't have enough men," Redfearn said.
  • Could you imagine our 'interim' network yes man saying something like that? Fair play to Redfearn.
  • The word strengthen in the title is spelt wrong and strangely I didn't notice it until just now......
  • edited December 2015

The word strengthen in the title is spelt wrong and strangely I didn't notice it until just now......

You pendant

;0)
  • Trouble is, you seldom pick up a genuine first team player in the January window (unless you are Bournemouth!). We were scratching round with Chris Eagles, Roger Johnson and the mighty Christope LePoint last year and I can't see us getting anybody better than that.

It's only taken 18 months but the constant degradation of the playing squad has now left us with a team unable to compete in this league. I did some similar sums to Redmidland and came out with a slightly worse answer if anything.
  • Missed It said:

Trouble is, you seldom pick up a genuine first team player in the January window (unless you are Bournemouth!). We were scratching round with Chris Eagles, Roger Johnson and the mighty Christope LePoint last year and I can't see us getting anybody better than that.

It's only taken 18 months but the constant degradation of the playing squad has now left us with a team unable to compete in this league. I did some similar sums to Redmidland and came out with a slightly worse answer if anything.

Johnson was an excellent addition, plus Diarra.

• Missed It said:

Trouble is, you seldom pick up a genuine first team player in the January window (unless you are Bournemouth!). We were scratching round with Chris Eagles, Roger Johnson and the mighty Christope LePoint last year and I can't see us getting anybody better than that.

Johnson was an excellent addition, plus Diarra.

Point being, Johnson wasn't a first team player. He was marginalised at Wolves, with question marks about his character and hadn't played in months. Charlton took a massive chance on him being able to play at the required level. We shouldn't be relying on 'reclamation projects' to get out of the neck deck pile of shite we are currently in
  • Buying players in January isn't going to sort out our problems. Changing the manager/head coach isn't going to solve our problems. Until things are rectified at a strategic level this club will continue to plummet.

Changing the manager could. Give him some money to bring in 3/4 players and we could surprise a few.
    Is Warnock available?
  • adrian said:

Buying players in January isn't going to sort out our problems. Changing the manager/head coach isn't going to solve our problems. Until things are rectified at a strategic level this club will continue to plummet.

Changing the manager could. Give him some money to bring in 3/4 players and we could surprise a few.
    Is Warnock available?
    Why don't we get Santa and his elves. Just as much chance.