Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stengthen the squad in January or be relegated

We need a minimum of 3 players in January, that will strengthen the squad, or we will be relegated.

We need a centre half and either 2 creative mid fielders or at least one and a goalscorer.

We've drawn with Rotherham at home. Lost to Huddersfield at home. Lost to Preston at home. Lost to MKD away.

We've not been good enough to beat any of the teams down there with us.

Comments

• Yet beaten QPR, Hull, Birmingham and Sheffield Wednesday who are all in the top half. Yes we need to strengthen but mainly to cover for the long term injured and maybe the sale of Watt will enable us to bring 2 or 3 in.
  • On the same number of points after 20 games,when we were relegated in season 08/09.
  • shirty5 said:

On the same number of points after 20 games,when we were relegated in season 08/09.

With a worse goal difference.
  • 1StevieG said:

Yet beaten QPR, Hull, Birmingham and Sheffield Wednesday who are all in the top half. Yes we need to strengthen but mainly to cover for the long term injured and maybe the sale of Watt will enable us to bring 2 or 3 in.

Oh wow we've beat 4 teams in 20 games, aren't we great.
    Where in my comments did I say we are a great team? Just saying we have beaten teams pushing for promotion. We have long term injuries to some key players and I think we will get some decent signings to add to our squad. If we don't then we will be one of the favourites to finish in the bottom 3.
  • shirty5 said:

On the same number of points after 20 games,when we were relegated in season 08/09.

Wasn't it that season we lost 13 straight games after xmas thou??? Or couldn't win in 13

• Get Igor back fit, and we've enough up top. I'd be after

1 experienced (and vocal) centre back
    1 experienced central midfielder, with Kashi out for the long term
    1 creative midfielder

Funnily, last season in February we actually recruited these players after the window closed, in Johnson, Diarra and Eagles, and the first 2 did a good job for us.
  • I don't think you can say that without additions we will get relegated but without them we are in for a really tough relegation battle. It would be far too close for comfort. I agree that if we get in three decent championship hardened players things might just move us to the top of the bottom third. Not great but I'll take that.
  • 26 games to go, 33 points needed to get to 50. Averaging less than a point a game so far.
    It does not look good. I'm not confident that even a whole raft of competent players and a decent, permanent manager will be enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• scruffle said:

shirty5 said:

Wasn't it that season we lost 13 straight games after xmas thou??? Or couldn't win in 13

I think it was 18 without a win.
  • edited December 2015

I don't think you can say that without additions we will get relegated but without them we are in for a really tough relegation battle. It would be far too close for comfort. I agree that if we get in three decent championship hardened players things might just move us to the top of the bottom third. Not great but I'll take that.

Agree, there are not absolutes. Who would have predicted Lookman's impact and can we predict how long it will last? KAG was the wonderkind this team last year.

But I'd be far happier with a deeper squad and I think KF will be given the chance to do that.

It's what we did last year.

Sometime the manager might be allowed to build a strong and big enough squad in the summer!

• I don't think you can say that without additions we will get relegated but without them we are in for a really tough relegation battle. It would be far too close for comfort. I agree that if we get in three decent championship hardened players things might just move us to the top of the bottom third. Not great but I'll take that.

Agree, there are not absolutes. Who would have predicted Lookman's impact and can we predict how long it will last? KAG was the wonderkind this team last year.

But I'd be far happier with a deeper squad and I think KF will be given the chance to do that.

Sometime the manager might be allowed to build a strong and big enough squad in the summer!

My gut feeling is that we will avoid relegation by recruiting enough in January and KF will get the nod to take us into next season.

I think Fraeye is liked and trusted by RD and might be our first head coach to be given a decent enough budget to start next term with some decent strength in depth.

I don't see Mackienok being signed and no doubt there will be a sale of one of our saleable assets. A few others shipped out and hopefully a few more British players to replace them.

• RD won't spend next month.
  • RD won't spend next month.

I think he will. He has to.

• Here's hoping Ceballos is that creative midfielder...
  • edited December 2015

I don't think you can say that without additions we will get relegated but without them we are in for a really tough relegation battle. It would be far too close for comfort. I agree that if we get in three decent championship hardened players things might just move us to the top of the bottom third. Not great but I'll take that.

I still think our squad is almost large enough (the squads of the early 90s when I first became a regular were no larger).

The problem is the balance of the summer signings, with far too many young players either with no experience of the physicality of the English game OR who have barely played a full season full stop.
    Hence THREE were on the bench yesterday, 2 have had long term injuries and 1 is completely out of favour.The only regular, Bauer, has picked up 2 red cards...

Looking back, our signings the previous summer were much better, or at least were much more experienced. JBG, Igor, Henderson, TBH, Bikey, Bulot and Buyens on loan. EDIT and Moussa, who has plenty of experience of playing in England
  • Leuth said:

Here's hoping Ceballos is that creative midfielder...

He's not. He's a light weight winger.

• Watching yesterday it seemed like our forward four (JBG, Reza, Lookman & Vaz Te) have potential, but they desperately need a creative player who is able to take the ball from midfield to attack, Jackson & Cousins are not those players. I assume that's what Cellabos was supposed to be and we desperately need that. I think strengthening the centre back position would be a bit of a luxury given that we have four decent options there (depending on what you think of Sarr!).
  • I think hoping for an significant transfer activity is taking things a bit far. Expect some out of contract old crocs and/or some untested youngsters on loan in Feb.
  • Sponsored links:

• This is a real deja vu thread. We've been in this position every year since we got promotion and we'll probably hopefully be saying the same thing next year too. Don't forget we're likely to sign a hot new attacking midfielder from the lower leagues next month so fingers crossed he'll give us a lift.

My gut feeling is that we will avoid relegation by recruiting enough in January and KF will get the nod to take us into next season.

I think Fraeye is liked and trusted by RD and might be our first head coach to be given a decent enough budget to start next term with some decent strength in depth.

I don't see Mackienok being signed and no doubt there will be a sale of one of our saleable assets. A few others shipped out and hopefully a few more British players to replace them.

Watt to Cardiff to fund the wages for the free transfers.

They will try and shift a few others like Moussa and Bergdich who seem totally our of favour. Not sure that they will though, maybe just on loan.

Harriot to come back, Ansah and Piggott to be sold/released/kept out on loan until their contracts run out in the summer.

Will Igor and Kashi return and if so will they be the same players. Would be huge if they were both back to what they can do but not holding my breath.

They will try and shift a few others like Moussa and Bergdich who seem totally our of favour. Not sure that they will though, maybe just on loan.

Harriot to come back, Ansah and Piggott to be sold/released/kept out on loan until their contracts run out in the summer.

Will Igor and Kashi return and if so will they be the same players. Would be huge if they were both back to what they can do but not holding my breath.
    I think that's pretty bang on. Not sure Harriot will have a future at Charlton even if he is recalled in January.

I think I recall similar things said last season. Lets hope you're right.
  • edited December 2015
    se9addick said:

Watching yesterday it seemed like our forward four (JBG, Reza, Lookman & Vaz Te) have potential, but they desperately need a creative player who is able to take the ball from midfield to attack, Jackson & Cousins are not those players. I assume that's what Cellabos was supposed to be and we desperately need that. I think strengthening the centre back position would be a bit of a luxury given that we have four decent options there (depending on what you think of Sarr!).

We have one good centre back - Bauer.

Lennon had a good game & has a lot of potential, but his mistake should have cost us the game yesterday. Luckily, Adeyemi missed an open goal. He was also down with cramp early 2nd half & clearly flagging a bit from then on.
    All things considered, I thought he did very well. But I'm judging him as somewone fresh out of the academy & played a bit for The Gills. He's not an experienced centre half.

Diarra is needed at defensive mid.

Sarr - he's not good enough at the moment.
  • se9addick said:

Watching yesterday it seemed like our forward four (JBG, Reza, Lookman & Vaz Te) have potential, but they desperately need a creative player who is able to take the ball from midfield to attack, Jackson & Cousins are not those players. I assume that's what Cellabos was supposed to be and we desperately need that. I think strengthening the centre back position would be a bit of a luxury given that we have four decent options there (depending on what you think of Sarr!).

At the moment we have Bauer, who's already had 2 red cards so a 3rd could produce a long ban
    Diarra, who's better in midfield AND might need a rest at some point
    Sarr, who isn't ready
    Lennon, a promising youngster

We definitely need additions!

I'd forgotten about Moussa. For both to be behind RCC for a place on the bench shows how out of favour they must be
  • Any 3 from 6 to go down but rather strangely i feel as though we have enough to stay up without any additions..................yes i know the men in white coats will be knocking at my door soon!
  • Igor's not the answer, far from it down to numerous reasons.

I think we'll be lucky for one, and then some loans; but we all know you don't want loans when you're in a dog fight. Look at our lat one we sent back as to reasonings to why...

Even 2 or 3 new decent signings would leave us deadly short, as great as Lookman looks he is 18, we will have offers for players in the TW & we will pick up more injuries.
  • Lookman has played four games and scored a goal, a good goal admittedly, but we shouldn't be pinning any hopes of survival on a youngster like him. It's still very early in his professional career and he has made a good start, but I really don't want to see him cracking under the weight of expectation.

We need additions, particularly in defence as we are clearly shipping far too many goals, and in my opinion it's due to a lack of leadership and experience in that area. We have a number of good options going forward but I'd like to see us bolster our midfield a bit more. Harriot coming back could work if he can bring the confidence he has gained from playing at Colchester and who knows, it might even rub off on the rest of the team. We definitely need to give him a chance, we have to find out if League One is his level or whether he can cut it in the Championship.

I think January will show us if the club really are listening, and if they have learned anything at all since they've been here. If we don't plug the holes we have, Roland will watch a large part of his investment go down the drain as we sink into League One.