Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stengthen the squad in January or be relegated

Comments

• Bolton are down already. Rotherham are due for the drop.
    The addicts are resurgent and will be mid table by the end of January.
  • Bolton are down already. Rotherham are due for the drop.
    The addicts are resurgent and will be mid table by the end of January.

Make that end-April and I agree.
  • Luckily for us there are some real weak teams in the league this year.
    Bolton, Rotherham and MK Dons are worse than us even in our current situation and I'd say we're probably better as a first 11 than most of the bottom 8/9.
    However if a few more injuries hit and if we don't get our transfer business done correctly then out situation looks much more dire. Can't be relying on Ifs and Maybes , but I fear RD will.
  • Surely the main position to strengthen is manager/coach so that the incumbent has time to access the squad before the transfer window opens.
    Either bring in a person with English experience or confirm KF in the position now.
  • Laddick01 said:

Luckily for us there are some real weak teams in the league this year.
    Bolton, Rotherham and MK Dons are worse than us even in our current situation and I'd say we're probably better as a first 11 than most of the bottom 8/9.
    However if a few more injuries hit and if we don't get our transfer business done correctly then out situation looks much more dire. Can't be relying on Ifs and Maybes , but I fear RD will.

But unfortunately we couldn't beat Rotherham and were beaten by MK Dons. Let's hope we fare better against Bolton this week. It's all well and good people saying we beat Hull, Birmingham, QPR etc, but the teams we need to be beating are the ones around us.
  • dickplumb said:
    Looks like a typical RD signing. Probably has potential but not what we immediately need.

• dickplumb said:
    Where's this from?
  • Laddick01 said:

MK Dons beat us and we drew at home to Rotherham.

On a par with us maybe, at best from our viewpoint, but worse no.

We are in a relegation dogfight before Christmas and Tuesday is a six pointer.
  • Sponsored links:

• we're overbudget though remember.

only by 2% though

• edited December 2015
    Laddick01 said:

Quite right. Real weak teams, who we drew and lost to.

• Thing is. It keeps coming back to the manager doesn't it.

I think we could be better with what we have than we have been and with three decent additions in no danger of the drop.

The wild card is having a manager with no experience and in our circumstances it defies logic.
  • LenGlover said:

Laddick01 said:

MKD was a turning point, we changed systems (and tactics) after that game which has clearly improved things. We were awful that game, but MKD were barely any better

I recall we were unlucky to not beat Rotherham, though of course all teams can say that
  • I can see RD cashing in on afew players,Gudmundsson for one he must be unhappy with what is going on at the moment.Cardiff will buy Watt,do not expect anything to come in until window is closed.Wait for meltdown and afew injuried players before anything happens.ie play Lookman in too many games too soon = meltdown Vaz Ta = player injuried ,then and only then will RD act.
  • edited December 2015

LenGlover said:

Laddick01 said:

MKD was a turning point, we changed systems (and tactics) after that game which has clearly improved things. We were awful that game, but MKD were barely any better

I recall we were unlucky to not beat Rotherham, though of course all teams can say that
    Sounds like excuses to me. The table doesn't lie. We have won a handful of games, shipped too many goals, and even a change in manager has done little to change our fortunes.

7 games, 7 points and 10 goals conceded since Fraeye took over. its relegation form, no doubt. It's going to take a minor miracle to turn our first half of the season performances completely on their head.

The lack of experience within the squad, the coaching team, and at the top isn't going to help us much either.
  • dickplumb said:
    Where's this from?
    ITTV

• There are a lot of good posts, on the post match thread.

However, our situation boils down to mainly, one thing. The squad isn't strong enough and hasn't been since RD took over (and before, to be fair to him).

None of our players, played badly yesterday. Infact THD, Lookman, Lennon, Diarra, Solly and Henderson all played very well.

Cousins, JBG, Jackson, Vaz Te & Reza, were ok, but they did all put in a shift.

So half the team plays really well, the other half are ok. We play a very poor Leeds team, struggling above the relegation zone and just about hang on for a point, thanks to one of worst misses ever seen at The Valley.

The subbed players, would have been subbed earlier, if there was a better alternative on the bench. There wasn't.

The only player likely to strengthen that team in the short to medium term is Bauer.

So if anyone has a bad game or we get more injuries (we will it's football) or suspensions, then presumably we will be worse off.

Pope let in some soft goals earlier in the season. He shouldn't have been playing. We should have better back up.

Solly has been out of sorts. We couldn't rest him, as we didn't have sufficient back up.

Fox has been poor. We didn't appear to have a better alternative (Bergdytch). Thank heavens for THD.

Sarr is poor, so Diarra played out of position, as no decent back up Thank heavens for Lennon.

Bauer's game has worsened playing alongside Sarr.

JBG is not trying sufficiently? Drop him ? For who ?

Cousins has been poorish, but he could do with a rest, but we can't, as we don't have sufficient back up.

Jackson was blowing out of his arse after 2 mins yesterday, but we had to play him as we have no better back up.

Vaz Te is not match fit after hardly playing for months and months, but we had to play him, because we had no decent back up.

WE NEED TO STRENGTHEN THE SQUAD !

Will we though, as RD and KF say publicly, that there's no point having a strong squad, as we can only play 11 ?

RD has the money, but Charlton are already over the budget, which is set at a level that should result in relegation.

Strengthening should not be about gambling on foreign imports, especially unproven youngsters. I fear any signings will be on a like for like basis, meaning the squad remains as thin as it currently is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Uboat said:

Resurgent?! On what evidence?

Our recent results. Two good wins against sheff wed and Birmingham. We were desperately unlucky against the unbeaten league leaders Brighton. A battling point against a tough Leeds team. We had one bad game v Ipswich. On Tuesday we will all go nuts beating Bolton.

CAFC are not in the relegation frame!
    Ok, let me see...

We've won two of our last seven. Before that we went on a run of around 10 games without a win. For the whole season we've amassed four wins from 20. Yet we are not in the frame for relegation.

I have to admit mate, I'm scratching my head here.
    On paper that was a tough set of fixtures. 7 points from 15 ain't a bad return.
    We need to continue this good form.
  • edited December 2015
    I don't think it would be a shut and closed case if we didn't sign anybody, much depends on the injury situation and suspensions. However reinforcements along similar lines to last season are needed to tip the scales probability of staying up in our favour.
  • 1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

Yet beaten QPR, Hull, Birmingham and Sheffield Wednesday who are all in the top half. Yes we need to strengthen but mainly to cover for the long term injured and maybe the sale of Watt will enable us to bring 2 or 3 in.

Oh wow we've beat 4 teams in 20 games, aren't we great.
    Where in my comments did I say we are a great team? Just saying we have beaten teams pushing for promotion. We have long term injuries to some key players and I think we will get some decent signings to add to our squad. If we don't then we will be one of the favourites to finish in the bottom 3.
    Wasn't taking the mick, was just pointing out if we can't beat the likes of Rotherham, Huddersfield, MK Dons then those results against the clubs you mentioned are otherwise meaningless
  • dickplumb said:
    He's a big fella !
  • edited December 2015
    Famara Died How?

Oh well, might as well give it a go!
  • Uboat said:

Resurgent?! On what evidence?

Our recent results. Two good wins against sheff wed and Birmingham. We were desperately unlucky against the unbeaten league leaders Brighton. A battling point against a tough Leeds team. We had one bad game v Ipswich. On Tuesday we will all go nuts beating Bolton.

CAFC are not in the relegation frame!
    Ok, let me see...

We've won two of our last seven. Before that we went on a run of around 10 games without a win. For the whole season we've amassed four wins from 20. Yet we are not in the frame for relegation.

I have to admit mate, I'm scratching my head here.
    Not forgetting we were in a relegation spot before yesterday.
  • RD and KM made it clear from the start that a lot of our first team players will come from the academy and with great credit to KF we are playing Lookman, Lennon, Solly, Cousins, Ahearne-Grant, Holmes-Dennis with Pope, Fox and Charles-Cook on the bench. This is the future for this club and a lot to be proud of. I would love for Harriot to come back and fight for a place in the side. If we are not going to play academy players what is the point of having an academy. Versus Leeds we were in the bottom 3 yet I did not see any nervousness in our performance and it was clear that everyone is playing for the manager.
  • dickplumb said:

dickplumb said:
    Where's this from?
    ITTV

Cue Colin popping over with an "exclusive" :-)