Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Leeds - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Croydon said:

Lucky to escape with a point after their missed chances, a decent side could have put 3 past us in the last 15 mins.

What a player Lookman is though, really hope we can hang onto him in January.

Incredible to think he was playing sunday league footie a year ago
  • A dull first half in which we were the better team, a more entertaining and more even second half in which they had the best chance. A team that is happy to get a draw at home against this Leeds side is a team whose only realistic ambition is to avoid relegation.
  • Huskaris said:

End to end action with absolutely zero finishing talent, a shit and boring game that could have ended 6-6, but for poor finishing from both sides didn't

Reza shooting from 30 yards twice with a shot that was hit with the aggression of a hard pass was absolutely unforgivable... Still worked hard though.

Lennon really held his own against Wood. Definitely not a handicap having him in the team which was very reassuring.

Vaz Te definitely contributes, like having him in the team.

Lookman is decent, offers the same kind of thing as Tony Watt, but without being a complete twat.

Liked the role that Cousins was playing, dipping into the gap whenever a defender went for something, he played the role well, but I feel he can be better deployed a bit further up the field.

All in all a boring game, no real criticisms of anyone.. No real heroes either.

Love the comment re Lookman & Watt - couldn't have put it better.
  • edited December 2015
    jamescafc said:

Think we did alright today. The problem with this team is that they don't take their chances and that's the difference in their league. Whether it's a case of bad luck, inexperience or lack of quality I'm not sure (probably a combination of all) but I think there's enough there to achieve a lower mid table finish.

He doesn't have many fans on here but we must give KF credit for the way he's got the team fighting of late. If he's given funds to sign a few experienced championship players in Jan I could see him doing well. I'm hoping JE has sufficient input in Jan as he will have a clear idea of what's needed at this level.

That sounds like what the Leeds fans were saying afterwards! (Having had the pleasure of being stuck outside Charlton station with them after the game).
  • colin1961 said:

Very entertaining 0-0 think from a football point of view we edged it and disappointment was Leeds tactics to stop Lookman ........ Leeds keeper world class save to stop Vaz Ta scoring that's the way it seems to be going

It was a decent save but Vaz Te got little power behind the shot which gave him the time to get down and across.

Most strikers would regard that as a chance missed. Luckily, on the day the Leeds strikers were no better.
  • ross1 said:

I keep reading that our players looked tired, why were our players any more tired than Leeds, are they not fit enough, apart from Vaz Te, everyone else should be match fit

3 are about 18, not fully developed and 3 not fully fit as lacking game time. answer is stronger squad

• A double substitution on 80 mins! Whoopy do. Jackson should have departed on 65 and Vaz Te shortly after. Both were passengers in the final quarter.
    Afraid Fraeye, whatever his name is put on a poor show today. In the ascendency from 55m fresh legs needed to seal the deal but no show.
    Neither side deserved to win but if that open goal had been converted then we'd have got our just desserts.
    Johan, Reza very poor in front of goal, no composure. They're supposed to be internationals. Well, it's time they stepped up to the plate.
    Cousins manful in midfield but not much help. Truly battling for the cause. Our left side threatened throughtout the second half.
    Did we have a right side today?

• JBG not a central midfielder, period. We're past the experimental. He could play in the hole (no 10) but is next to useless on the right as believe it or not he is a lefty! Peters, Luzon & now Freddie all play him on the left.
    Cousins thankfully from a personal perspective now moved into the centre as he was ineffective on the left.
    Fraeye incapable of taking us beyond 18th. If that's good enough then carry on with this character.
    Having said that decision making in the final third woeful and you can't blame the head coach for that.
    Players shooting from 22-27 yards when they have space to attack. Where do we go from here, maybe Ligue Un

• Sponsored links:

• Mad to play JBG central, he has played in the hole behind strikers in Iceland, but out and out winger for AZ and should be for us, as his key to scoring is his cutting in and shooting... central he won't find that space.

It's all simple, pre-season we were well well behind the squad depth we needed and we are still well short of that, players playing so many different positions and overplaying with no rest, injuries will top up, and they are all inexperienced bar a couple - average age of low 20's if you took out JJ & Diarra.

I think we'll be in or about those relegation spots, it would only took the wrong injury or two and we're seriously in trouble. Lookman & Reza aren't are saviours unfortunately.
  • Oakster said:

7 points from 7 games under Fraeye, an improvement on Luzon who was running at 0.8, but surely time now to go with a proper manager as this is really going nowhere.

Incidentally Fraeye's successor at Hamme has really turned them round - they were dire under KF but unbeaten in six since and really motoring up the Belgian Third Division table!!

Is freye young enough to do a job in centre mid so Cousins can have a rest?
  • Not a bad game for a 0-0 thought we looked in control until the last 20 mins all players put in a shift JBG not playing to his potential, lookman looks a talent very exciting nice to see a player going past people at pace defenders hate players running at em , 3 points needed Tuesday .
  • A poor game between two struggling teams either could have won it so we have to be content with a point I suppose but we really needed three. Nothing less than a win on Tuesday is critical IMO
  • Personally thought Vaz Te played well, has much more about him than Makienok.
    Most frustrating thing for me is that we have imo the best group of young players coming through in years but we need more championship experience players to complement them. Jackson put in a shift but in the main was chasing shadows and Cousins was no better, need Diarra back in Midfield asap.

Agree with this apart from the Cousins bit. I thought he carried the midfield yesterday. Very impressed by Lennon, he was calm on the ball and seems to have good positional sense, much more assured that Sarr. Lookman is mustard!
  • Still can't beat a side managed by Mr Blobby. But on the flip side a side managed by Mr Blobby has neven beaten us.
  • Was that no summer signings in the starting 11 yesterday?! Granted, some due to injury and suspensions but hardly a great advert for our recruitment policy.
  • One of the advantages of this January transfer window coming up is that we have money to spend to recover our position.

We're in London, Bolton aren't and have no money and Rotherham are a small club expected to go down.
  • Sponsored links:

• A point gained and we move on to Tuesday night against Bolton which is not going to be easy. They are fighting for their lives too and they were unlucky at Hull yesterday. The last couple of times we played teams in a similar position to them at home we lost(Huddersfield, Preston) so we cannot and must not assume that this is going to be an easy 3 points. Saying that though, we simply have to win this game.

Have we got what it takes to do so? If we look as knackered and unfit as we did yesterday in the last 20 minutes then I don't think we have.

• Started off the day trying to say to my eldest that we don't have to go , the younger ones were ill or said they didn't want to go , bizarrely he said he wanted to go so we set off at 1.20pm to negotiate the traffic from Epping to South London
    All good as we joined the A12 around Leyton and then just after Stratford hit a traffic jam ,2.10pm, caused by an accident just between the last two sets of lights before the tunnel where everyone had to get in to one lane .
    Usually I'd be panicking and fretting about missing my beloved Charlton kick off but the love is strained and I wasn't bothered .
    Realising we were gonna miss the first half I pleaded with my son for a return home but he wanted to go and his needs always take priority.
    3.40pm we passed the accident all shuffling over to the outside lane and I lost the plot as every fucking dipstick (and I'm sure plenty on here do it) slowed to a ridiculous pace to trickle past and rubber neck/gawp at whatever was left of the scene where the crash was , hand on horn I foamed at the mouth at the driver in front who was having a good look at 8 fucking mph at a flashing blue light etc and bollox there was no safety issue and we could have gone past at 30mph but it's a pet hate of mine with people and a further reminder as to why a hermitic life is prolly the best way forward for me .

Parked up at Asdas and walked fast to the ground as the end of half time approached its conclusion and as we passed the Antigallican decided to turn into a run/jog and I found out that I couldn't keep up with my 9 year old son and my Morgan Fox pace was just too slow .

We took our seats 4 mins in to the second half having simply negotiated the computerised turnstiles that were still on and working
    Hot and sweaty the game was not bad for two poorish sides and Leeds had the better of the second half I saw , did Hendo get anything on that sitter the Leeds fella missed ?
    Good to see dirty Leeds continue their tradition with some filth and seeing Lookman up close from the NWQ was a pleasure despite his weak shooting but I'm sure that'll come.
    Great Leeds turnout as ever , if we won the Premiership and Champions League for ten seasons on the bounce we'd prolly still only have 10% of that following for a journey up there !
    Final whistle and as we sung " you've got a pie in your pocket " the fatty Leeds manager gave the remaining covered end a wave .

For the first time this season my sisters/ niece /nephews(season ticket holders) could have gone to the game and didn't
    Tuesday I'm gonna give it a miss because I've no child to bully me to go on a school night .
    For me to not wanna jump through hoops to get to The Valley would have been unthinkable pre Roland , of course I'm grateful for Charlton still being there but it just doesn't feel right
    Hopefully my Charlton mojo will return and for the kids sake I hope we get a successful side at some point but under Roland a certain je ne sais quoi has gone missing for me and im sure it has for others too , gutted .

13th-21st 55% ......... Bottom three 45%

I also missed the first half due to the same incident. As I drove past at 8 mph a white Range Rover and man who looked similar to Mr Z Bergdich was cordoned off at the entrance to the tunnel. However I couldn't be certain it was ZB as I had an impatient angry bloke behind me with steam coming from his ears who was trying to speed through the scene of the accident.

Onto the game, the last 15 minutes was really poor, once the momentum shifted we were very lucky not to lose. I cannot doubt their effort but again we lost all shape and composure when under pressure. Rather than having two banks of 4 with very little space in between the lines the midfield became very ragged which meant for a period Leeds were constantly pressuring the back 4 in and around our penalty box.

Whilst it's normal to come under pressure at different times unless the midfield offer greater protection, shape and willingness to pass the ball to keep possession in these moments we'll continue to lose leads and matches. KF needs train them to play smarter as their undoubted efforts are not as effective as they could be.
  • One of the advantages of this January transfer window coming up is that we have money to spend to recover our position.

We're in London, Bolton aren't and have no money and Rotherham are a small club expected to go down.

Yup, the money we will have to spend is the £500k Roland will take from any Premier League team who offer it for Lookman.

I admire your optimism - I honestly do -but if you seriously think RD is going to spend any real money then you must still believe Father Christmas will be coming down your chimney in a couple of weeks time. :-)
  • redman said:

ross1 said:

I keep reading that our players looked tired, why were our players any more tired than Leeds, are they not fit enough, apart from Vaz Te, everyone else should be match fit

3 are about 18, not fully developed and 3 not fully fit as lacking game time. answer is stronger squad

Maybe, but there are rumblings about the fitness-regime, or lack of, with the first team. Not everyone thinks that Bloom is up to the job.
  • A poor game made worse by not using the right tactics in the first half. As soon as the second half kicked off Leeds showed us how to play into a strong wind by playing the ball over and just beyond the defence and allowing the bouncing ball to cause confusion in the wind. I also thought our midfield was more defensive than normal. I guess KF has been told (not that he should have to be) no more 0-3s at home.
  • Any ideas why JJ was taken off? I'm hoping to ensure he has enough in the tank for Tuesday night.

Do we have money to spend though? Not saying we haven't, and I have heard that there will be a two or three experienced Championship players arriving, and if so that means paying fees, but I think any money spent will be compensated by sales so effectively we don't have money to spend.

Do we have money to spend though? Not saying we haven't, and I have heard that there will be a two or three experienced Championship players arriving, and if so that means paying fees, but I think any money spent will be compensated by sales so effectively we don't have money to spend.
    Is Watt goes for a million I assume that can be used?
  • We competed and didn't concede three goals. We were in the bottom three and now we ain't. That's progress IMO.
  • Started off the day trying to say to my eldest that we don't have to go , the younger ones were ill or said they didn't want to go , bizarrely he said he wanted to go so we set off at 1.20pm to negotiate the traffic from Epping to South London
    All good as we joined the A12 around Leyton and then just after Stratford hit a traffic jam ,2.10pm, caused by an accident just between the last two sets of lights before the tunnel where everyone had to get in to one lane .
    Usually I'd be panicking and fretting about missing my beloved Charlton kick off but the love is strained and I wasn't bothered .
    Realising we were gonna miss the first half I pleaded with my son for a return home but he wanted to go and his needs always take priority.
    3.40pm we passed the accident all shuffling over to the outside lane and I lost the plot as every fucking dipstick (and I'm sure plenty on here do it) slowed to a ridiculous pace to trickle past and rubber neck/gawp at whatever was left of the scene where the crash was , hand on horn I foamed at the mouth at the driver in front who was having a good look at 8 fucking mph at a flashing blue light etc and bollox there was no safety issue and we could have gone past at 30mph but it's a pet hate of mine with people and a further reminder as to why a hermitic life is prolly the best way forward for me .

Parked up at Asdas and walked fast to the ground as the end of half time approached its conclusion and as we passed the Antigallican decided to turn into a run/jog and I found out that I couldn't keep up with my 9 year old son and my Morgan Fox pace was just too slow .

We took our seats 4 mins in to the second half having simply negotiated the computerised turnstiles that were still on and working
    Hot and sweaty the game was not bad for two poorish sides and Leeds had the better of the second half I saw , did Hendo get anything on that sitter the Leeds fella missed ?
    Good to see dirty Leeds continue their tradition with some filth and seeing Lookman up close from the NWQ was a pleasure despite his weak shooting but I'm sure that'll come.
    Great Leeds turnout as ever , if we won the Premiership and Champions League for ten seasons on the bounce we'd prolly still only have 10% of that following for a journey up there !
    Final whistle and as we sung " you've got a pie in your pocket " the fatty Leeds manager gave the remaining covered end a wave .

For the first time this season my sisters/ niece /nephews(season ticket holders) could have gone to the game and didn't
    Tuesday I'm gonna give it a miss because I've no child to bully me to go on a school night .
    For me to not wanna jump through hoops to get to The Valley would have been unthinkable pre Roland , of course I'm grateful for Charlton still being there but it just doesn't feel right
    Hopefully my Charlton mojo will return and for the kids sake I hope we get a successful side at some point but under Roland a certain je ne sais quoi has gone missing for me and im sure it has for others too , gutted .

13th-21st 55% ......... Bottom three 45%

Enjoyed that post, morts.