Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Leeds - Post Match Thread

Comments

• I thought Reza had a decent game. I wasn't that impressed with Vaz Te.
  • edited December 2015
    Is it me or should we have had a penalty at one point?

The ball was playing back to Reza and was just a bit short, he still managed to get it and could only pass to Vaz Te before the move fizzled out.

Straight after Reza passed it though it appeared as though he was cleaned out by a Leeds player in the box?
  • First 15 minutes we looked dangerous, then the game died a death till half time. Second half was open and end to end, apart from the typical dirty Leeds tactics of rotating who fouls our players. Lookman, THD and Lennon played well, I would have taken Vaz Te off 10 minutes earlier as he faded badly, and I'd like to see someone other than Lookman taking free kicks and corners, I'd rather have him lurking in the box for scraps. Overall glad we didn't lose, but I felt we could have taken more risks in the the early stages and scored from it
  • I'm just pleased we didn't get tonked 3 nil, shows how poor we've been recently.

I thought today was an encouraging performance, and a point earned.
    We really do need to get some points on the board quickly to move away from the danger zone.

Bolton at home on Tuesday is a must win game or I fear for our fate.
  • There were positives, but to run down the clock when 0-0 at home against a crap Leeds side made me question why I'd bothered paying the entrance fee.

I suppose it is a point gained, but only because they missed from about a yard out. And am I right in thinking their player ran off to celebrate, thinking he'd scored???

• I thought it was a decent game for a nil nil, we traded shots and possession until the last 15 minutes when we flagged badly.

That we flagged was down to match fitness and the lack of experience on the bench. None of that is the fault of KF (which his coach's hat on anyway) but reflects faults in recruitment and maybe the quality of our pre-season under Luzon?
  • Sponsored links:

• I really enjoyed today's game. It was competitive, some decent talent on display - would have been 6-6 had both sides taken their chances. Leeds looked fitter than us, we looked more skilful. Some of our football was just wonderful today.

Special mentions for the marvellous Lookman, and Harry Lennon who looked like he'd been there for years. Hopefully he will be.
  • An entertaining and competitive second half. Charlton had a chance with Vaz Te, but Leeds had some excellent chances including an open goal and somehow managed to miss. The substitutions should have happened a lot earlier than they did for Charlton. A draw was a fair result though, even if Charlton did get away with it.

Charlton will struggle to survive without reinforcements. Leeds position as a mid to lower championship team looks about right. The fact that Charlton were lucky to survive the game with a point says it all.
  • edited December 2015
    We were in the bottom 3 before today's match,

So keeping a clean sheet(how did the guy miss ?)
    Keeping 11 players on the field.
    No new injuries.
    No one had a bad game.
    The work rate was very good for 70 minutes.
    The head coach picked the same 11 as i'd picked( wasn't hard thou was it)
    Our 3 youngsters, TBH, lookman and Lennon all had decent games.
    Solly had His best game since ? let's say he was on it.
    Well so much for the positives.

Negatives,
    Lookman, JBG, Vaz Te and Reza all had poor efforts at goal,
    But at least they ran themselves into the ground, even thou
    Vaz Te has the same engine as Tony Watt and 65 minutes might be his max for a while.
    when ever we are force backwards at home, like we were in the last 20 minutes
    we've to rely on the opposition missing chances, this happened when
    Powell,Peeters,Luzon and now KF, not sure if it happened so much under Riga,
    But fitness must have a lot to do with it.
    Not 1 of the 7 who were brought into the squad in the summer started because of
    injuries,suspension, or not being good enough !
    A lot of us were saying 4 points from the two home games would be good for a team in 21st place.

Tuesday is going to be more than a 6 pointer,
    It will decide if we can kick on or have a winter of discontent.
  • The bench today revealed once again how thin the squad is. There is nobody likely to come back from injury except maybe Igor and Bauer from suspension, so today was pretty much it.
    There was nobody on the bench who is good enough or experienced enough to make a difference at this level.
    Our only hope is that we can get to January without being adrift at the bottom and we then bring in the 3 decent experienced players we have been missing all season.
    If not, with the squad as it is, we will not survive.
  • ok til the last 15/20 mins when we simply stopped winning the ball, dropped off and let them have it. Invited all sorts of pressure!!
    Whether that was the wind or tiredness due to our small sized squad. Happy with a point in the end
  • Sponsored links:

• For a 0-0 I thought it was o/k. We were the better side for most of the first 70 minutes. Leeds then battered us for the last twenty. Happy with a point today.
  • I keep reading that our players looked tired, why were our players any more tired than Leeds, are they not fit enough, apart from Vaz Te, everyone else should be match fit
  • Scrappy game played in windy, blustery conditions between two very evenly matched sides. Not too many chances either way in the first half. Leeds completely dominant for long sections of the second and Henderson made a couple of saves that stopped them winning. Bit worrying that Vaz Te faded, if we're going to be relying on him. But: we kept a clean sheet, got a point, didn't get beaten and move out (just) of the relegation zone. Avoiding the drop by getting to 55 points still looks entirely possible provided we win on Tuesday.

By the way - when was the last time a club played at the Valley without a shirt sponsor? Quite refreshing I thought.
  • Very mixed views on here tonight. The wind made it very difficult for the players. We were lucky to escape with a point, couldn't believe the chances they missed 2nd half. Steve Evans was having palpitations on the touchline.
  • At least we didn't lose. Should really have went in front from Vaz Te's chance. What I found pathetic was our fitness levels from 75 minutes. Everyone looked ready to collapse its mid December having not played for a week. Quite embarrassing our players had to walk off the pitch when being subbed off to give everyone a breather.

3 points are an absolute must vs Bolton. Today was fairly even for the first 75 minutes
  • Thought we had the makings of a good side today. Leeds were pressing us from the off and had it not been for that we would have scored and won the game.
    I think Leeds physical game also left us run ragged. Luck held us in there to a certain degree in the last 15 minutes as all the lads looked really tired.
    Good to see the old Solly back on form - he worked hard.
    My MOM had to be Lookman - he is totally mustard and we really need to sign him up. If we can try and move away from being a selling club and hold on to guys like Lookman we stand a chance of getting back to the Prem as we need that kind of footballing intelligence on the pitch.
    Windy conditions didn't help and thought they hindered Henderson's kicking a bit.
    If we can get a motivational manager who knows his stuff there is hope. But we are Charlton, owned by Roland and run by Katrien - so not a great chance of that happening any time soon.
  • Too be fair to Karel he has not done much wrong and the players seem 100% behind him ,do not think another manager could get anymore out of this team at present , just need some more old heads to help this fantastic crop of youngsters.
  • vffvff
    edited December 2015

Must be me. I was at a different game to some of you. Bored to tears. Two piss poor teams on a very difficult windy day made for very poor quality fare. Second half better only because of some goalmouth action. Finishing was schoolboy quality (thank goodness or we'd have lost). We were time wasting at nil nil at home. Pathetic. Best players on the pitch were Lookman and THD which is encouraging. Special mentions too go Diarra and Solly who looked more like himself.

Embarrassing prematch protest. Poor numbers and anti Belgian songs playing right into katrien's hands. Poor show.

Highlight of the day was the upbeats and special mention to the Leeds fans for giving them a right good clap. Well done folks.

Its down to reduced and lowered expectations. I have minimal expectations of the quality and goings on at the Valley these days. I love watching football, at any level though, and get to see my brother. There was some goal mouth action and the second half was entertaining. Leeds are not up to much and Charlton were lucky to get away with it. Charlton didn't loose and that helped, but there's no mistaking how poor the overall squad and football is.
  • Not the worst 0-0 I've ever seen. Thought the effort was very good & the young guns are getting better game by game.