Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Leeds - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Southbank said:

The bench today revealed once again how thin the squad is. There is nobody likely to come back from injury except maybe Igor and Bauer from suspension, so today was pretty much it.
    There was nobody on the bench who is good enough or experienced enough to make a difference at this level.
    Our only hope is that we can get to January without being adrift at the bottom and we then bring in the 3 decent experienced players we have been missing all season.
    If not, with the squad as it is, we will not survive.

We won't be adrift by January as the other teams around us are no better. We're only 6 points behind Leeds and Fulham, and 7 behind Forest and Preston.

Apart from Burnley away, we are now in a run of 6 pointers.
  • Having been at the game in sunny Brighton last Saturday, I have to say I really enjoyed today's encounter with Dirty Leeds.

OK. I was on tenterhooks for the full 94+ minutes - either side could have scored the winning goal ( and it seemed clear from the start that 1 goal would win it) but it's SO much better for my old ticker than to start brilliantly and finish abysmally.....

For a neutral( Are there really any of those at gamers these days?) this was great end to end stuff. NOT Premiership quality of course, but lots of sheer endeavour from both sides and like other Lifers, I thought Lennon was superb, Reza is a changed player, Vaz Te adds the advantage that experience at a higher level gives and of course, last but not least, Lookie is a revelation.

Leeds were set out to frustrate us, be continually" up our backs" and BFS had issued orders to fall down at every opportunity, ideally clutching some part of their anatomy. Spoke to 2 lovely Leeds fans before the game & they're not totally happy to have Mr Nasty as their manager but needs must as we well know.

5 ex Academy lads on the pitch at the final whistle says it all for that enviable area of our Club but sadly it also serves to highlight the lack of experienced old heads in the squad. Our bench was pretty lightweight today with little room for KF to manoeuvre or at least to bring on players with that much needed nous at this level in the English game. For us to climb onwards & upwards this season, we need a more balanced team with more depth in the squad , especially if we have an uncharacteristic run in the Cup. The question is, will RD open his wallet in January and bring in the type of players we NEED ?

I live in hope that Euelly & Karel will have their Christmas wishes granted.

And that the start of 2016 will herald a more successful & joyful period for the Addicks as opposed to an annus horribilis.

Agree 100%
  • Thought Reza looked out of his depth - not for the first time.

Lookman and THD the stars for us.

How that Leeds player (adeyemi?) Didn't score for them I'll never know. Such an easy chance.
  • Bauer and Lennon will be a good centre pairing against most championship sides. Diarra is best just in front of defence. I'm worried JBG is struggling to find dove, he looks best on a charge through the middle, need to work that out because he is still one of the best class players we have and although other teams know that he can still make a difference.
  • Must be me. I was at a different game to some of you. Bored to tears. Two piss poor teams on a very difficult windy day made for very poor quality fare. Second half better only because of some goalmouth action. Finishing was schoolboy quality (thank goodness or we'd have lost). We were time wasting at nil nil at home. Pathetic. Best players on the pitch were Lookman and THD which is encouraging. Special mentions too go Diarra and Solly who looked more like himself.

Embarrassing prematch protest. Poor numbers and anti Belgian songs playing right into katrien's hands. Poor show.

Highlight of the day was the upbeats and special mention to the Leeds fans for giving them a right good clap. Well done folks.

Spot on mate. Some people are easily pleased. Saying that if you had been at the Preston, Brentford or Ipswich games then today was like watching Barca. Draws you into thinking it was good when it fact it was the same old dross but with far better commitment, effort and application. Still as boring as watching paint dry though.
  • Did anyone else see the series of flicks through midfield that if (I think reza) had scored would have been a goal of the season contender?
  • Have to say that was an awfully tame effort from Vaz Te, awful.
  • I'm really confused with some CL posts.
    Against Ipswich at home, we struggled to pass to each other,and Ipswich
    just picked us off. today in difficult conditions for 75 minutes we competed well.
    We are 21st in the table, not a top 6 team,that was a point gained in the end.
    well done the youngsters. We have 3 players totally new to 1st team football who were very good today.
    Considering the negative shit going on around them , the guys did well, even if we had to rely on Leeds being profligate in the last 15 minutes,
    A couple more championship proven players would dove tail well with this team.
    I won't hold my breath in January thou.

So we should be happy with the fact that we ground out a draw and didn't lose, at home, to fellow league relegation strugglers?
  • Sponsored links:

Guess he was stretching for it so had to toe poke it... Had he got any power behind it then it would have been straight into the roof of the net
  • Poor game, played out by two poor teams. Leeds had the best chance and as the away team managed to dominate the last 20 minutes.
    But hey, the pitch still looks nice.

Fantastic save from goalkeeper imo
  • Think we did alright today. The problem with this team is that they don't take their chances and that's the difference in their league. Whether it's a case of bad luck, inexperience or lack of quality I'm not sure (probably a combination of all) but I think there's enough there to achieve a lower mid table finish.

He doesn't have many fans on here but we must give KF credit for the way he's got the team fighting of late. If he's given funds to sign a few experienced championship players in Jan I could see him doing well. I'm hoping JE has sufficient input in Jan as he will have a clear idea of what's needed at this level.
  • Oggy Red said:

"It's a palindrome, innit?"

No it aint .......a palindrome a word or phrase that reads the same backwards.........like 0-0 or
    “Cain, a motor erotomaniac was Eve,” said I as Eve saw Cain, “a motor erotomaniac!”

I was trying to remember the Monty Python sketch .......

• edited December 2015

DRAddick said:

I'm really confused with some CL posts.
    Against Ipswich at home, we struggled to pass to each other,and Ipswich
    just picked us off. today in difficult conditions for 75 minutes we competed well.
    We are 21st in the table, not a top 6 team,that was a point gained in the end.
    well done the youngsters. We have 3 players totally new to 1st team football who were very good today.
    Considering the negative shit going on around them , the guys did well, even if we had to rely on Leeds being profligate in the last 15 minutes,
    A couple more championship proven players would dove tail well with this team.
    I won't hold my breath in January thou.

So we should be happy with the fact that we ground out a draw and didn't lose, at home, to fellow league relegation strugglers?
    Yes in a word.

Because we have been conceding 3 goals on a regular basis and we are a poor side at present, hence why we were in the bottom 3 before today.

We lost at home to lowly teams in Preston and Huddersfield, so today was a small
    improvement. but if you and others want to carry on being depressed, who am i to stop you.
    Nothing to do with being depressed but being realistic of our long term chances. But if you and others want to carry on avoiding the long term consequences of that realism, who am I to stop you.

And I'm sure KF can show you some stats and tell of his dismay again that we didn't win. That'll suit you.
  • We just about scraped a 0-0 draw at home with one of the shitest teams in the league.

We are bang in trouble.

Belgian shite out.
  • IMO I cant take many positives from todays game. Ok we have an extra point, but Leeds were one of the worst teams I've seen us play this season and they still created much better chances than we did.

Teams are beginning to pull away from us now which makes Tuesday's game seem all the more important.

Youngsters starred is the only positive. Thought Reza had a nightmare to be honest - either taking the wrong option (shooting over passing), falling over or loosing the ball. Yes he worked hard but that is the minimum requirement.
  • edited December 2015
    Stalemate first half, opened up in the second and then towards the end we had a real wobble with about 15mins to go. Can understand why we panicked when Leeds had a spell at the end given the Brighton collapse in the previous game. Actually the most I've enjoyed a home game in quite a while having missed Shef Wed.

Was good to see so many youth players, not only playing, but looking great in the first team. Particularly Solly having a great game as he's been a bit off his best recently.

Says a lot about Sarr, and the recruitment policy, when we'd rather have a midfielder and youth team player (who we were happy to ship off to Gillingham 3 months ago) play at CB instead... Unless I missed that Sarr was injured or something?
  • Sponsored links:

• Nicholas said:

We just about scraped a 0-0 draw at home with one of the shitest teams in the league.

We are bang in trouble.

Belgian shite out.

Eloquently put, Nicholas.

• Well done to Euall, let's keep on with the academy development.

I have a £10 bet that Makienok would get 10 goals by the end of the season. I think the charity will be in receipt of my money.

Maybe the booze has kicked in but I don't see it as bad as many here. I never expected a promotion season, although at end August start September I was overly optimistic. I never expected a relegation season but have to admit I am worried about that now.

I think we will end up around 15 with a load of players who can take us higher next year. It's not a great ambition and it's annoying to see palace progress under pardew, it's helpful the scum are at least for this year in a league below.

Pre Christmas, I'm disappointed given the quality I felt we had in August. Fortunately my glass is being topped up and it's higher than 50% right now.

Wear black and white, support transparency but don't strangle the current management because what might come later may well be worse.

We have some quality, we have a great ground. Let's not lose either especially the Valley.

Amazed he managed to get a toe on it. Think Reza was just in front of him and may have been better leaving for him.
  • We are one we are red we are Charlton.

• ross1 said:

I keep reading that our players looked tired, why were our players any more tired than Leeds, are they not fit enough, apart from Vaz Te, everyone else should be match fit

We've looked short of fitness all season.

• Much much better today and whilst Reza was not as good today Lookman and Vaz te were and I do like these three together. I think every player did well today and it was a shame there was no goal for us. We did not give the ball away half as much as we have been doing and Tariq and Lennon were superb in their new roles. Solly and Diarra also very good. I don't care if Jackson did not do very much; I always want him on the pitch regardless. I think all over a very good performance for the players we have. If only we had a few older more experienced players we would be a force to be reckoned with but as it is Leeds were pretty poor and it made us look better. We will struggle against the better sides in general not forgetting we have put some decent performances in against top sides. Yes this was something to build on and Lookman is a real talent even if he needs to get more practice in defending. Looking forward to Bolton.
  • Reasonably entertaining, Lookman was brilliant, Diarra impressive. First half fairly even with us shading it. Only one winner in the second half, until they created one chance with fifteen minutes to go, and we fell apart. It was like Dumbo dropping the magic feather.
  • vffvff
    edited December 2015

Stalemate first half, opened up in the second and then towards the end we had a real wobble with about 15mins to go. Can understand why we panicked when Leeds had a spell at the end given the Brighton collapse in the previous game. Actually the most I've enjoyed a home game in quite a while having missed Shef Wed.

Was good to see so many youth players, not only playing, but looking great in the first team. Particularly Solly having a great game as he's been a bit off his best recently.

Says a lot about Sarr, and the recruitment policy, when we'd rather have a midfielder and youth team player (who we were happy to ship off to Gillingham 3 months ago) play at CB instead... Unless I missed that Sarr was injured or something?

No Sarr is variable and unfortunately has a lot to learn. Lennon was pretty good and it is no surprise that Charlton fell apart last week after Lennon went off. Bauer is the only successful recruit this season so far. Who scouted these players ?