Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Following recent meetings with supporters, Charlton's CEO provides fans with an update - From OS

124»

Comments

• Options
    Does anyone know how the fans of his other clubs feel about him? SL made their feelings known but what about carl jeis zana or whatever they're called and alcoron? None of which are in the top division. Would they have aspirations to be better or is it like, say, Orient in this country who would probably settle for financial security and stability with bo realistic aims for top flight football.
  • Options
    drewman said:

Does anyone know how the fans of his other clubs feel about him? SL made their feelings known but what about carl jeis zana or whatever they're called and alcoron? None of which are in the top division. Would they have aspirations to be better or is it like, say, Orient in this country who would probably settle for financial security and stability with bo realistic aims for top flight football.

I can answer about Jena, and its worth considering what @GlassHalfFull and I learnt from our visit in early March.

Jena is something of a fallen giant, and in the eastern sector of Germany which is generally left-leaning. So there is a stroppy element in the fanbase. But RD's businesses have invested in the area, and provided employment, proper employment as opposed to call centres.

He only has a 49% share, thanks to the German 50+1 rule. He cannot just do what he wants, especially on the playing side. So the network element has not even appeared. However the ground is old and open with lots of unused space around it. He announced a plan to build a St Truiden-style complex of hotels and restaurants around the stadium which would also enclose the stadium and therefore keep the sound in and make it more atmospheric. For reasons we are not clear about, the "Ultras" took against this plan and started some pretty strident demonstrations. However prominent fans who are part of the 50+1 membership, and in some cases also employed by the club, realised that all this could be fixed if there was dialogue between RD and the fans which helped them understand his plans. And it worked. The ultras realised that RD's plans would not rip the club apart, but might instead set them on the path upwards through the league, but steadily and in a way which builds for the long term (with commercial revenue which can fund the investment in the playing side).

That's quite an interesting story I think. I might try to get it updated.
  • Options
    Thanks for that, PA.

We could definitely learn something from Jena.

Now what was that peculiar word that appeared to be the catalyst over there ?

"Give me a "D"......."
  • Options
    :-)

It's also worth observing that there have been protests by fans at:

- Standard
    - Ujpest
    - Jena
    - Charlton

So Alcorcon is the odd one out. Would love to hear the thoughts of @CharltonMadrid on that

• Options

- Standard
    - Ujpest
    - Jena
    - Charlton

So Alcorcon is the odd one out. Would love to hear the thoughts of @CharltonMadrid on that

Like asking shelbyville about there experience of the monorail

"There ain't no monorail and there never was!"
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

- Standard
    - Ujpest
    - Jena
    - Charlton

Like asking shelbyville about there experience of the monorail

"There ain't no monorail and there never was!"
    Well that has gone completely over my head….
  • Options
    Alcorcon have a small fan base (about 3000 max), so there hasn't been any real visible protests, at least not covered in the media. Their message board has the standard moaning, but more aimed at the manager than the owner. I will try to post a message on there this week to find out more.