Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Protests v Ipswich 28/11/15

Comments

• waldo said:

cafctom said:

The walk out is the most effective that doesn't disrupt the game, by quite some way as well I think.

Banners and scarves probably won't be picked up, and even if they are they don't make that much of an impact. A walk out by three full stands would go viral - everyone would know about it.

But as I've said previously - I'm not convinced our fanbase has the bottle to do it.

Bottle?
    Thermos perhaps.
  • All throw a snowball and a piece of coal on the pitch at the same time. It keeps the black and white theme going nicely.

I've got the feeling that the idea needs a bit of tuning though.
  • The venom will most certainly be taken out of it. Needs to be more than a set of balloons, that's for sure.
  • Think this is worth a bump, can't let a few decent results blind us to what's really wrong.

so you think doing something stupid like tennis balls wouldn't lead to fines for the club or playing a home game behind closed doors.
  • Bit of a Catch 22 now me thinks! 2 excellent wins that inherently spawn a rise in team confidence against (arguably?) the possibly perceived futile protests of the relative minority. Just bad timing maybe?
  • Charlton struggle to win in televised games.

Nothing less than full support for the team is needed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Protest out! Support in!

• C4FC4L1f3 said:

Protest out! Support in!

Sounds like the Hokey Cokey
  • I'm thinking ahead to the Derby County game. Won't it look wrong if we wear black and white scarves against them?
  • I'm thinking ahead to the Derby County game. Won't it look wrong if we wear black and white scarves against them?

No. Just gives the protest more attention.
  • Just what everyone was afraid of, same old Charlton fans. This is why we won't accomplish anything. See you this time next year.
  • Just what everyone was afraid of, same old Charlton fans. This is why we won't accomplish anything. See you this time next year.

Don't get this?

What are you planning to do then?

maybe I'm reading this wrong but you seem to be blaming others with "same old Charlton fans" but you have to make your own decisions and actions, not just wait on others.

Or, we keep on winning and the impetus to protest is diluted.
    Like it or not I believe it is true to say that for a lot of our fans what happens on the pitch is of primary importance and how the owner runs the club is secondary.
    Put simply if we are winning the running of the club is de facto fine, even if only superficially.
    Put it another way - I am a season ticket holder, as is my son, my brother, my nephew, my niece and 3 of my cousins (one of whom is the father of a member of our first team squad!)
    I can tell you with all certainty that I am the only that goes on football forums like Charlton Life and it tends to be me that brings the others up to speed about feelings on CL towards the ownership and the running of the club.
    Taking my brother as an example, if the football gets too dire he just gives it a swerve for a while - he wouldn't dream of dwelling on the behaviour of the owner to the extent of participating on protests. He would consider it not an important enough part of his life to spend time and effort beyond attending or not on a Saturday.
    (He has had a season ticket since @ 1984 inc Selhurst, Upton Park etc)
    I am sure that is the case for many supporters.

• Sponsored links:

Don't get this?

maybe I'm reading this wrong but you seem to be blaming others with "same old Charlton fans" but you have to make your own decisions and actions, not just wait on others.
    I thought I made it clear that the top of this that all I was doing was putting a thread where people could put their ideas on what could be done. I then stated an idea that I'd come across on Facebook, didn't endorse it or condemn it. However I think it took 1 or 2 comments for someone to throw it at me.

As for 'same old Charlton fans' I think that most people at the protest against Wednesday had a feeling that a few wins and *most* would turn a blind eye again and to me it looks like it's happening now, we beat Ipswich, Fraeye gets the job and we end up 13th, all ready for it to start again next year.

The thing that I want fans to realise is that you can support the team and protest. As you can see from the Wednesday game, that was probably the best atmosphere we've had all season. BUT, is that really going to achieve anything? It took a lot more than a few songs and a banner to even remotely threaten Roland at Liege and as happy as I am for it to be a start, I just can't see people committing to anything more... Which may be needed.
    Fair enough but you are talking a lot about others and what they are or aren't doing.

You think a lot more is needed but what?

What are you suggesting and what are YOU personally going to do?

Not digging you out but I read a lot about "we" should do this or that and "someone" should organise/start/arrange this, that or the other but not so much "I'm going to......"

Like it or not I believe it is true to say that for a lot of our fans what happens on the pitch is of primary importance and how the owner runs the club is secondary.
    Put simply if we are winning the running of the club is de facto fine, even if only superficially.
    Put it another way - I am a season ticket holder, as is my son, my brother, my nephew, my niece and 3 of my cousins (one of whom is the father of a member of our first team squad!)
    I can tell you with all certainty that I am the only that goes on football forums like Charlton Life and it tends to be me that brings the others up to speed about feelings on CL towards the ownership and the running of the club.
    Taking my brother as an example, if the football gets too dire he just gives it a swerve for a while - he wouldn't dream of dwelling on the behaviour of the owner to the extent of participating on protests. He would consider it not an important enough part of his life to spend time and effort beyond attending or not on a Saturday.

Clearly some care more than others.

Don't get this?

I thought I made it clear that the top of this that all I was doing was putting a thread where people could put their ideas on what could be done. I then stated an idea that I'd come across on Facebook, didn't endorse it or condemn it. However I think it took 1 or 2 comments for someone to throw it at me.

As for 'same old Charlton fans' I think that most people at the protest against Wednesday had a feeling that a few wins and *most* would turn a blind eye again and to me it looks like it's happening now, we beat Ipswich, Fraeye gets the job and we end up 13th, all ready for it to start again next year.

The thing that I want fans to realise is that you can support the team and protest. As you can see from the Wednesday game, that was probably the best atmosphere we've had all season. BUT, is that really going to achieve anything? It took a lot more than a few songs and a banner to even remotely threaten Roland at Liege and as happy as I am for it to be a start, I just can't see people committing to anything more... Which may be needed.
    Fair enough but you are talking a lot about others and what they are or aren't doing.

You think a lot more is needed but what?

What are you suggesting and what are YOU personally going to do?

Not digging you out but I read a lot about "we" should do this or that and "someone" should organise/start/arrange this, that or the other but not so much "I'm going to......"
    I have the leadership skills of a wet flannel. Believe me if I honestly felt like I would even have a chance of starting anything I would. Not to say that if I did think of anything I wouldn't try to put it forward, but sadly that doesn't really come to me that easily.
  • On the train back to London after the Birmingham game yesterday the Arsenal fans (who had been playing West Brom) thought we were Albion fans !
  • se9addick said:

On the train back to London after the Birmingham game yesterday the Arsenal fans (who had been playing West Brom) thought we were Albion fans !

Bet you had fun explaining that. Any publicity is good publicity,
  • Or if everyone is honest, if the team were performing like the first set of fixtures no one would have protested anyway

If Roland was poor he'd be a beggar, I see where you're coming from but what's happened has happened, and I for one want to change it.
  • edited November 2015

Just what everyone was afraid of, same old Charlton fans. This is why we won't accomplish anything. See you this time next year.

I'm afraid that is true, at every club. That's why when Swansea Supporters Trust saved the club from extinction, it had 3,000 members with average gates of 5,000. Now in the FAPL it has 800 members within sell out crowds of 20,000, despite membership giving you a share in the club itself.

This phenomenon also generally applies in Germany. Nearly all clubs are 'owned' by the fans but a small minority bother to be members.
  • Which is good for you, I doubt that your alone in that thought however football fans on a whole moan and protest when the football on the pitch is shit, kf will get the gig it can be based on results and performance plus feeling in the changing room improveing until the next loss enthusiasm will wain its too be expected and isnt cafc specific

Very much so.
    It will be interesting to see what is the level of protest at Ipswich and how it is sustained if we continue to win games.