Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Target 20k - One small step

Comments

• Options

mogodon said:

Our average attendance this year is the lowest since 1997/1998. This includes an almost packed Valley against Millwall, football for a fiver which was near on a sell-out, and some jaded figures as to the attendances as so many ST holders aren't attending now in comparison to other years.

Operation 20k will never even get close, it should be operation stop it from dropping - as that in itself will be a task. We have no reason to gain new fans, and we have all the reasons to lose our current ones.

Wasting our time a) helping RD & KM build attendances and b) fighting a lost battle - the football on the pitch brings the punters.

Completely agree. Remember when we were first back at The Valley and thrilled when we sold out the 8,032 (always remember that number!) every week. The with the Premier League years we got excellent numbers and did brilliantly to hold on to them. All that because of football. No gimmicks, just good football. Gimmicks are what you get when you give people with marketing backgrounds and no souls a job to do.
    Not gimmicks but it wasn't just "football".

Kids for a quid, Valley express. Remember them?
    Accept that, yes, but remember at the time we had been out of the area for seven years and had to tap into a fan base that had not grown up with the club. That was more about getting them in to watch and fall in love. The gimmicks now seem to lack any real purpose other than get some brief publicity for non-football events.
  • Options
    mogodon said:

mogodon said:

Our average attendance this year is the lowest since 1997/1998. This includes an almost packed Valley against Millwall, football for a fiver which was near on a sell-out, and some jaded figures as to the attendances as so many ST holders aren't attending now in comparison to other years.

Operation 20k will never even get close, it should be operation stop it from dropping - as that in itself will be a task. We have no reason to gain new fans, and we have all the reasons to lose our current ones.

Wasting our time a) helping RD & KM build attendances and b) fighting a lost battle - the football on the pitch brings the punters.

Completely agree. Remember when we were first back at The Valley and thrilled when we sold out the 8,032 (always remember that number!) every week. The with the Premier League years we got excellent numbers and did brilliantly to hold on to them. All that because of football. No gimmicks, just good football. Gimmicks are what you get when you give people with marketing backgrounds and no souls a job to do.
    Not gimmicks but it wasn't just "football".

Kids for a quid, Valley express. Remember them?
    Accept that, yes, but remember at the time we had been out of the area for seven years and had to tap into a fan base that had not grown up with the club. That was more about getting them in to watch and fall in love. The gimmicks now seem to lack any real purpose other than get some brief publicity for non-football events.
    I agree completely aboout the sofa and other gimmicks.

I'm not suggesting gimmicks.

I'm suggesting some long term thought out marketing to attract people to come to games and since the club's idea consist of silly gimmicks and crossing their fingers that we win a few games they clearly could do with some help.
  • Options

I'm suggesting some long term thought out marketing to attract people to come to games and since the club's idea consist of silly gimmicks and crossing their fingers that we win a few games they clearly could do with some help.

Absolutely, but, as you say, I think,like most of the 'plans' KM spoke about, there is too much depending on a few lucky breaks and some wins. I suspect Blackpool had a similar vision last season. We need a realistic and thought-out marketing plan.
  • Options
    mogodon said:

Absolutely, but, as you say, I think,like most of the 'plans' KM spoke about, there is too much depending on a few lucky breaks and some wins. I suspect Blackpool had a similar vision last season. We need a realistic and thought-out marketing plan.
    Agree totally. And since we have a lot of marketing people in the fan base they can help draw that up and test out ideas before launch. It's really an extra resource for the club.

Lots of businesses have customer groups that help them test new products and services. It's good practice. Most small businesses can't afford it. Charlton are a small business and they have "customers" with relevant experience offering to help free of charge.

Most companies would be rearranging the following words in to a well known phrase: Hand Off Bite Your
  • Options
    edited November 2015

mogodon said:

Agree totally. And since we have a lot of marketing people in the fan base they can help draw that up and test out ideas before launch. It's really an extra resource for the club.

Lots of businesses have customer groups that help them test new products and services. It's good practice. Most small businesses can't afford it. Charlton are a small business and they have "customers" with relevant experience offering to help free of charge.

Most companies would be rearranging the following words in to a well known phrase: Hand Off Bite Your
    I think the difference at Charlton is that the ideas have traditionally come from supporters to the club, rather than the club to supporters (although accepting that became complicated by supporters being on the staff as well).
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

I want the opposite. I want their team to lose, the team to be relegated and attendances to plummet until they have gone. Not every ones cup of tea I know but I don't see how you can want them out but at the same time support their team and help them grow.
    But I think I am in a minority on wanting them gone. The majority just want a few wins, whilst others have their own aims such as personal involvement.

Agreed.
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

Does she and everyone else for that matter really believe that a break even club with cheap managers and a football target of championship mid table is really going to attract 20000!?And to that matter that off the pitch fun will help make up for a poor team to bring in 7000 new people!? Lots want to believe it I know but come on!

We get relegated and it will be target 2000.
  • Options
    What's the fuss about? We're heading in the right direction. Season ticket sales were up on last year by 1100!
  • Options

This is probably still knocking around near Highbury - just needs KM to airbrush out any old fogeys in the picture...
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    jamescafc said:

What's the fuss about? We're heading in the right direction. Season ticket sales were up on last year by 1100!

Not what she said, I think. She said they were up and that there were 1,100 new holders - there is always significant churn. I don't think she was saying the total was up 1,100 - or that it is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dunno why, I have a feeling Airman doesn't like KM
  • Options
    Have those who agreed to participate in this pulled out? It would be a great signal of intent that we are united as fans and not going to hold hands with those who want to watch our Club burn. We will re-build and aim for things such as Target 20k once this ownership has moved on.

If not I strongly advise those do pull out, and let KM know exactly why.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Target 20,000? Here's a suggestion Katrien. Don't just get the cheapest manager you know, and a bunch of under age 'possible future' youngsters and maybe you might beat Colchester. The result..... a home tie against Spurs or Leicester which may bring 20,000 plus through the turnstiles.
    But given you've branded fans as weird, probably better not to get increasing numbers to visit the place.
  • Options
    adrian said:

Does anyone?
  • Options

adrian said:

Does anyone?
    Roland, clearly. And Richard Murray seems to be rather besotted.
  • Options

adrian said:

Does anyone?
    I would like her to leave.

Does that count?
  • Options
    Surely the Target 20k is actually a cunning marketing plan to sign up 5 viewers of CAFC Player on 4k Ultra HD....
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    What happened to the meeting that was taking place?
  • Options
    Any news on this? Has there been a meeting, or did members have to sign the Charlton version of the official secrets act?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Perhaps we misunderstood the fragrant Meire and the Target 20K was for the total attendance over the season?
  • Options
    I think it's the target annual player wage budget.
  • Options
    Target 20,000? The protest fund will reach that figure before we get regular home crowds of 20k.
  • Options

Any news on this? Has there been a meeting, or did members have to sign the Charlton version of the official secrets act?

And I presume it was videoed...
  • Options
    Mmm so I presume it didn't happen
  • Options
    well done AFKBartram, very wise and clever person, this current regime is dragging this club down further and harder at an alarming rate of knots.
  • Options

I think it's the target annual player wage budget.

Target 20K empty seats more-like
  • Options
    The protest group may reach 20,000 soon. Rage against the machine.
  • Options
    Good on you @bellz2002 you gave it a try at least ( and walked out, which deserves praise). Util RD aacepts his plan doesn't work, nothing else matters.