Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How Could The Owners Win You Over?

124»

Comments

• how about admit mistakes in the handling of genuine concerns off the pitch, and in terms of the number of players brought in to meet the demands of the plan, and therefore the budget, and genuine demonstrable actions to remedy those issues.
  • I actually think it would be quite easy to win the fans back, as follows:

1. Sack KM (or she resigns)
    2. Bring in a new CEO by the name of Varney
    3. Get rid of Head Coach Karel Freaye
    4. Bring in a new manager in the name of Chris Powell
    5. Get rid of football advisor, Karel Feaye
    6. Bring Curbs in as Director of football
    7. Get rid of head of European scouting, Karel Feaye
    8. Bring back Phil Chapple
    9. Get rid of the number 2 to Karel Feaye
    10. Bring back Nathan Jones
    11. Get rid of network castoff Reza
    12. Bring back Kermy
    13. Get rid of rubbish like Bergdich
    14. Bring back Wiggins
    15. Get rid of Sarr
    16. Bring back Morrison
    17. Keep Bolder, Peacock and others.
    18. Spend loads on the academy
    19. Give everyone free season tickets as an apology
    20. Spend £10M on team strengthening, all players chosen by Powell, Curbs and Chappell
    21. Play amazing football
    22. Get promoted to the PL
    23. Gift 'The Valley' to the Trust
    24. Put a fan back on the board
    25. Open dialogue with the Trust
    26. Find jobs / advisory roles for some of the stalwarts in the fan base
    27. Have team lists on the score board.
    28. Have tickets that work and are sent out on time.
    29. Put customers/fans at the heart of their decisions.

If 1-29 are followed then RD can stay and I will personally give him the bumps on his 70th birthday.

I was with you all the way until Reza <3
  • To answer the original question, I think at a high level it's reached a point where either the club has to be run with an aim to make the football competitive - why else would a football club exist? - or the owner should sell to someone who is prepared to do that.

Duchatelet came in with words like 'community', 'meeting place', 'religion'. Yet in practice he has failed to pay any heed to what that means in a British football club, and in particular Charlton. It's not about a great 'matchday experience' with cheerleaders, and sofas, and shiny new screens. It's about wanting to believe your team can compete, it's about the hope that's currently denied to all of us.

So I'd suggest something along the lines of:
    • The owner lays out his vision and strategy for an improved football team capability over the next 5 years.
    • He establishes a forum through which he can hold meaningful dialogue with supporters on that strategy.
    • He sets transfer policy but entrusts a suitably qualified and experienced Manager with the responsibility to manage it within the agreed budget; he appoints someone to support the Manager with the nuts and bolts of player recruitment; he restores the Chief Scout position.
    • He removes Karel Fraeye and replaces him with a Championship-experienced Manager, and makes money available to him for the forthcoming January window.
    • The owner takes active responsibility for football communications, leaving the non-football side to his CEO.
    • The owner ensures that supporter liaison is a chief responsibility of the CEO, or creates a senior role to own it. It is not good enough that any complaint is disregarded, that disabled supporters are asked to use a service lift, that the VIPs are told their money isn't needed, or that season ticket holders are locked out of the first game of the season.