Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Oi Charlton, can you make the font on the big screen smaller

Comments

• I'm glad it was not just me ?
    if they sort it before the next game,
    i can leave that monocle at home now.
    At least the Labrador can go to a more deserving owner now
  • DRAddick said:

It's staggering that nothing is tested, to see if it's fit for purpose and just as staggering that no one at the club, appears to look at the screen during the game.

Apparently they interviewed 30 other font sizes before deciding this font size, which just happened to already be in the set up, was the best.
    That is very good!

Good luck Steve, hopefully you can whittle down amongst the noise what are the key bits and take forward.

• Davo55 said:

Can we obscure the pitch with a very large curtain? Then we can watch the screen through our fingers. It might be less horrific that way.

If only there was some way they could film the game and beam it to us to watch on our television sets then we could hide behind our own sofas rather than having to dance to win a chance of hiding behind the one at the Valley.
  • I thought it was perfectly fine last season, I could pretty much read everything on the screen halfway up the North Upper in H block so almost the furthest you get away from the screen.

This season it's hard to read anything at all.

If the screen minus the advertising strip at the bottom is the same size then can't we just go back to a similar setup to last season as others have said, ditch the live feed apart from the replays and go back to names, cards, goals, time etc.

In the meantime if you need a short term fix, there must be someone at the club who can use MS PowerPoint and beam that onto the screen?
  • DRAddick said:

It's staggering that nothing is tested, to see if it's fit for purpose and just as staggering that no one at the club, appears to look at the screen during the game.

Apparently they interviewed 30 other font sizes before deciding this font size, which just happened to already be in the set up, was the best.
    Excellent! So how come we didn't end up with Comic Sans in turquoise?
  • Perhaps the problem is its too far away. If they put it on a trolley and parked it in the away end goal each game then that solves two problems.
  • Halix said:

Perhaps the problem is its too far away. If they put it on a trolley and parked it in the away end goal each game then that solves two problems.

I would say that it would feck up our chances of scoring at that end, seeing we've only one first half league goal this season... Dont think it would matter though
  • Can there not be a banner at the top at very least so we can read it easily. White banner club logos and black bold text for scores and clock.

• Dazzler21 said:

Can there not be a banner at the top at very least so we can read it easily. White banner club logos and black bold text for scores and clock.

With a banner at the top and the massive advertising space at the bottom we might just manage to get the halftime scores on one at a time. :)

• Sponsored links:

• edited September 2015
    p.s I can read it fine from North, i just bring my glasses!

Those that can't read it, when was your last eye test?
  • Dazzler21 said:

• They could have those little binoculars you get in theatres at the back of seats where you have to put money is a slot to get them out! Or they could make the font bigger!
  • Dazzler21 said:

What Dazzler21 isn't telling anyone though is that the lenses in his glasses were once used in the hubble telescope
  • Dazzler21 said:

The club could be missing a trick here, get spec savers to sponsor having one of those charts they have when you get your eyes tested put on the big screen and have everybody place a hand over each eye in turn and read each line...
    Loser gets to sit pitchside in the sofa, so.they can see the action close up. I like it.
  • IA said:

Dazzler21 said:

The club could be missing a trick here, get spec savers to sponsor having one of those charts they have when you get your eyes tested put on the big screen and have everybody place a hand over each eye in turn and read each line...
    Loser gets to sit pitchside in the sofa, so.they can see the action close up. I like it.
    Even better, winner gets to sit pitch side on the sofa with a remote control so we can watch something else if it's one of those games when you realise you'd rather be somewhere else
  • If anything changed for today I missed it.
    Red Red Robin inaudible in the East Stand, as were the announcements which were a mix of gabble and inaudibility, which even when straining to hear were impossible to make out.
    The screen did not have the teams, scorers, cards or subs at all, it was all the same as before, and now getting pretty dire as it is altogether worse than last season from a fans point of view (well this fan anyway).
  • The screen also briefly displayed "3-0" after Jackson's goal...
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

If anything changed for today I missed it.
    Red Red Robin inaudible in the East Stand, as were the announcements which were a mix of gabble and inaudibility, which even when straining to hear were impossible to make out.
    The screen did not have the teams, scorers, cards or subs at all, it was all the same as before, and now getting pretty dire as it is altogether worse than last season from a fans point of view (well this fan anyway).

Fonts were made a lot larger and I've spent a lot of time changing the team line up's to make them easier for fans to read so we did have a lot of changes based on the feedback I've read. Not my decision regarding live stream/teamsheets but I'm trying to work on a solution which will please both parties, even if it involves just flashing the team sheet up every 5 minutes. I couldn't do that today as the part needed to connect up a laptop into our big screen system only arrived late on Saturday so there wasn't enough time to do relevant testing.
    Not only were the fonts bigger but the line up player profiles stayed visible longer than the nano second that it was before.

For me, the live feed needs to go and just be used when something happens.

Good to see that someone from the club has acted on feedback
  • Noticed the shirt sponsorship is shown as each players pic comes up.

Good idea to sell more sponsorships.

Maybe some Charlton Lifers could club together to sponsor one.
  • Did anyone else notice that every replay was described as a "goal replay"?
  • I take it that Red Red Robin is being phased out, maybe because it is popular amongst the older yet unwanted supporters.
    Even when RRR is phased out it still leaves the rather delicate problem of announcers who can't announce, and technology that does not amplify their lame efforts.
  • seth plum said:

If anything changed for today I missed it.

Fonts were made a lot larger and I've spent a lot of time changing the team line up's to make them easier for fans to read so we did have a lot of changes based on the feedback I've read. Not my decision regarding live stream/teamsheets but I'm trying to work on a solution which will please both parties, even if it involves just flashing the team sheet up every 5 minutes. I couldn't do that today as the part needed to connect up a laptop into our big screen system only arrived late on Saturday so there wasn't enough time to do relevant testing.
    Good luck with the rotated team thing, font size improvement has pleased a lot here it seems.
    I am intrigued as to what is meant by 'a solution which will please both parties' as it seems there is conflict somewhere in the mix to resolve.
    Can the club afford a sound engineer and an announcer to come in midweek to sort out the audio and the audibility of the RRR?
  • edited October 2015

Noticed the shirt sponsorship is shown as each players pic comes up.

Good idea to sell more sponsorships.

Maybe some Charlton Lifers could club together to sponsor one.

Nothing in the matchday programme this season. I thought the club had abandoned the idea though it may come in handy towards the "budget"
  • seth plum said:

I take it that Red Red Robin is being phased out, maybe because it is popular amongst the older yet unwanted supporters.
    Even when RRR is phased out it still leaves the rather delicate problem of announcers who can't announce, and technology that does not amplify their lame efforts.

It's the quality of the speakers in certain areas of the ground that are the issue.
    RRR is, and has been, played before every game as usual and will continue to do so.
  • seth plum said:

I take it that Red Red Robin is being phased out, maybe because it is popular amongst the older yet unwanted supporters.

It's the quality of the speakers in certain areas of the ground that are the issue.
    RRR is, and has been, played before every game as usual and will continue to do so.
    It used to be much louder in the East Stand, have the speakers packed up?