Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Oi Charlton, can you make the font on the big screen smaller

Comments

• Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

In terms of font sizes being too small is this on the scores? This is honestly the first I've heard of it, and I've received one email today which directed me here where I saw the comments. I will look into making these larger even if we have to split them for the next match.

yes, it is the scores
  • stonemuse said:

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

In terms of font sizes being too small is this on the scores? This is honestly the first I've heard of it, and I've received one email today which directed me here where I saw the comments. I will look into making these larger even if we have to split them for the next match.

yes, it is the scores
    Don't bite, that's got to be a wind up..as if nobody from the club hasn't looked at the screen and thought that might be a bit on the small side for people to read...
  • Thanks you for your response @sadamson84 . Much appreciated.

The scores are the the hardest to read, but none of it is easy. For example, the player names are small, but there's a lot of wasted space on the team lineups with moving graphics, presumably to try and make it look flash and whizzy. I expect this all looked very nice when running on someone's desk, but it doesn't work in the reality of the stadium. Flash and whizzy are fine if the functionality is right, unfortunately it isn't.
  • edited September 2015

Don't have a problem with the advertising; as it's all sensible income generation for the club, and in my opinion, isn't obtrusive. Don't like the 'live' showing of the match though. Echo the thoughts on here of having squad names, numbers, goals and bookings.

I doubt if there is much income generation as such - as far as I can recall all the ads have been house ads, really just reiteration of existing commercial messages, and plugs to add value to existing sponsorship deals. You can make an argument around the benefits of repeatedly telling people they can save 10p on a pie and a pint, but I doubt if it merits the opportunity cost.

The club is basically incapable of selling advertising per se and has been for as long as I can remember, with the exception being some ground boards that generate TV exposure. As a revenue stream, programme and big-screen advertising will be virtually non-existent. I don't think there is any market for it. so I am not blaming anyone. It's just the assumption that the advertising matters on the screen is almost certainly wrong.
  • Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

To disprove a few comments I keep reading, the big screen section which fans see isn't smaller than last season. The big screen has smaller edges and takes up the entire case whereas the previous one didn't, and the wider edges makes the picture a 16 x 9 dimension which is the more common video format.

In terms of live game feed we wanted to try this for the first few games and then review it from there. I will pass comments on to the relevant people making the decision to have the live game feed, and we will work on a solution which will benefit the majority of fans. I've said it a lot but we are looking into how we can get the teams on the screen in some form, it's just taking time to work out and potentially get new software built as the screen is run in a completely different way to how it was last season so it wouldn't even be a case of just grabbing the controls from last season.

Hopefully we will find a solution both in the software side and fan engagement side soon.

I notice that the cameras had different colour settings, at one point it seemed we were playing on a sea green pitch (too much blue in the balance). May I suggest that the club have an observer in the top tear of the North West Quadrant and report back as to the viewabilty of the screen, you should not need fans to complain before you seek to make changes.
  • edited September 2015
    Must admit, I tend to take advantage of the free wifi & use BBC for line ups/scores - only watch replays on the screen. However, as I sit in the NWQ, I have to agree that you can't read anything on the screen other than the adverts
  • Don't have a problem with the advertising; as it's all sensible income generation for the club, and in my opinion, isn't obtrusive. Don't like the 'live' showing of the match though. Echo the thoughts on here of having squad names, numbers, goals and bookings.

I doubt if there is much income generation as such - as far as I can recall all the ads have been house ads, really just reiteration of existing commercial messages, and plugs to add value to existing sponsorship deals. You can make an argument around the benefits of repeatedly telling people they can save 10p on a pie and a pint, but I doubt if it merits the opportunity cost.

The club is basically incapable of selling advertising per se and has been for as long as I can remember, with the exception being some ground boards that generate TV exposure. As a revenue stream, programme and big-screen advertising will be virtually non-existent. I don't think there is any market for it. so I am not blaming anyone. It's just the assumption that the advertising matters on the screen is almost certainly wrong.
    No expert in this stuff, but I would have thought being 'goal sponsor' would mean additional income.
  • For the limited time that any text is displayed on the screen it is certainly far too small to be any use.
    The live stream of the match is a total waste of time, players' names, numbers, goals, bookings etc much more useful. My neighbour suggested that not showing the teams during play might be a ploy to increase program sales, he could be right. Of course they'd have to actually shift some programs out to punters for that to work. It's tricky enough working out who some of the new Charlton players are but identifying the visitors has been nigh on impossible so far. Put the lineups back on the screen please.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's impossible to read the teams and scores the writing is sooooo small it almost looks like it's a wind up
  • From the North Upper I literally cannot read anything that isn't advertising.
  • showing the game 'live' on the screen is just totally pointless, cut to highlights of goals etc if you want to but other than that, show the score / time / teams in a big enough font

Absolutely agree, can't see the point in streaming the game on the screen when you are watching it live, impossible to watch both. I do like the instant replay.
    I thought the previous screen format displaying the team line up, current score, time played, goal scorers and cards was far better.
  • LouisMend said:

Don't have a problem with the advertising; as it's all sensible income generation for the club, and in my opinion, isn't obtrusive. Don't like the 'live' showing of the match though. Echo the thoughts on here of having squad names, numbers, goals and bookings.

No expert in this stuff, but I would have thought being 'goal sponsor' would mean additional income.
    Not at this rate!
    Unfortunately it seems the goal sponsor flashes up for opposition goals as well!
  • For us that can't make regular trips to the Valley, anyone have any pics?
  • Excuse the dodgy resolution.
  • Don't have a problem with the advertising; as it's all sensible income generation for the club, and in my opinion, isn't obtrusive. Don't like the 'live' showing of the match though. Echo the thoughts on here of having squad names, numbers, goals and bookings.

Perhaps we should have a "give the ball away" sponsor!
  • edited September 2015

Perhaps we should have a "give the ball away" sponsor!
    If the "give the ball away" sponsor was Morgan Fox's dad's company*... it might explain a few things.

* Everyone gave the ball away last night... I've just chosen Fox as it's de rigueur for him to be scapegoat. :-)
  • edited September 2015

I think it's the people already providing IT, if not the screen, in which case I doubt it? But I'm not saying there is no income ever, just that it will be derisory because there is very limited value in it to advertisers.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2015

I think it's the people already providing IT, if not the screen, in which case I doubt it? But I'm not saying there is no income ever, just that it will be derisory because there is very limited value in it to advertisers.
    I think they provide IT services, but don't do the screen. Interesting, regarding sponsorship/advertising revenue. I wonder how much being shirt sponsors would cost. Anyone know how much University of Greenwich pay?
  • LoOkOuT said:

For us that can't make regular trips to the Valley, anyone have any pics?

For those of you that can't make regular trips to the valley you've probably got as much chance of reading the scores from your seat as we have from ours...only next match I'm taking binoculars and semaphor flags to relay the scores to everyone else...
  • LLMTP said:

showing the game 'live' on the screen is just totally pointless, cut to highlights of goals etc if you want to but other than that, show the score / time / teams in a big enough font

Spot on, who's watching the game on the screen? Except to see the 'highlights'.
    My son who cant see some of the game as people are standing. He enjoys it!

The banner and big screen adverts do bring in revenue for the club and there's more adverts which are external companies than in house.

Current adverts on the banner :

Bishop printers
    Bulldog energy drink
    WJ King
    Titan lifts
    ITRM
    Regular cleaners
    Home/Away shirt (technically Just Sport/Nike adverts)

In house ads on the screen
    Season tickets
    Mascots
    2 x Kiosk adverts
  • edited September 2015
    @Dansk_Red

We have three cameras of which the main camera is controlled by the Football League meaning we have no control over the colours. We also don't have a CCU meaning to balance the cameras to similar pictures all at once meaning we have to radio the camera operators and let them know. The Football League camera was having difficulty yesterday meaning we were having to adjust 2 cameras to the FL colour near enough every few minutes. It's never going to be perfect straight away but we are working on trying to get the best pictures to fans as quickly as possible

I think they provide IT services, but don't do the screen. Interesting, regarding sponsorship/advertising revenue. I wonder how much being shirt sponsors would cost. Anyone know how much University of Greenwich pay?
    ITRM are our IT service providers but the big screen goal sponsor is a completely separate deal
  • edited September 2015

The banner and big screen adverts do bring in revenue for the club and there's more adverts which are external companies than in house.

Bishop printers
    Bulldog energy drink
    WJ King
    Titan lifts
    ITRM
    Regular cleaners

Season tickets
    Mascots
    2 x Kiosk adverts
    As you must know, Steve, most if not all of those are sponsors, box holders and suppliers - screen and programme advertising is something that gets lumped into commercial deals to add notional value because it has no real cost. The value is questionable and can be debated, as with a lot of the club's commercial deals, which are wholly sensible - I did many of them for programme ads with newspaper groups and the figures on both sides were inflated but cancelled out. But it would be hard to say that the club truthfully receives £x just for screen advertising, whatever is in the deals.

For example, the club charges a firm x to be "preferred supplier" and includes screen advertising in the benefits. The firm recoups the amount from its charges to the club for services provided. Notionally there is a revenue stream attributable to the advertising. But in the real world if there was no screen the club would be no better or worse off commercially.

Bishop printers
    Bulldog energy drink
    WJ King
    Titan lifts
    ITRM
    Regular cleaners

Season tickets
    Mascots
    2 x Kiosk adverts
    As you must know, Steve, most if not all of those are sponsors, box holders and suppliers - advertising is something that gets lumped into deals to add value because it has no real cost. The value is questionable and can be debated, as with a lot of the club's commercial deals, which are wholly sensible - I did many of them for programme ads and the figures on both sides were notional - but it would be hard to say that the club truthfully receives £x just for screen advertising, whatever is in the deals.
    Correct some of them are box holders, suppliers etc but the big screen adverts have been sold separately to their packages, meaning it is extra income for the club.