Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Derby v Charlton - Post Match Thread

Comments

• boogica said:

Yes mate hard earned point , would av taken that B4 the game.

Did u go j

Yes mate as above
  • ilovelucy said:
    "They were well organised, kept shape perfectly for 94 minutes and defended like lions."

been a while since I read anything like that about us
  • Blucher said:

Back in the Brunswick for a cleansing ale after a tense last 30 minutes.

They had a lot of possession, particularly towards the end but I think we thoroughly deserved this point. The team was very well organised and we restricted Derby to very few chances. As a couple of Derby old timers remarked on the way out, "Charlton are a good football team - they made us play in front of them all the time."

On top of that, we carried a real threat on the break with Watt, Gudmundsson (who had a quiet game but two excellent efforts in the second half) and Makienok, who flicked on some excellent headers and whose pass put Tony Watt in space for the goal. When you have that menace as the away team, it makes a really big difference to the whole psychology of the game.

I thought that Diarra and Bauer were excellent and Nicky Pope was comfortable and confident throughout. A good show from Foxy, up against Ince, and Solly was tidy, although Derby troubled us a bit down that side.

Kashi was always available but not as dominant as last time out and Jordan was his usual highly energetic self.

All in all, a very satisfying afternoon and a great away trip. Well done to Guy Luzon and the boys.

Well written.

I think you should contact the club and offer to do the match reports for the website.
  • Really good day out, and we got the result that we deserved and the one that I think we were always playing for in truth.

Defended resolutely, even if we did ride our luck on a few occasions.

Makienok was brilliant defending corners for us, and Kashi is one of the best defensive midfielders we've had in years.

Would have gone with Bergdich over Ceballos, who was quite frankly awful.

Tony Watt looked threatening, but I'm also a bit concerned about where the goals are going to come from outside of him and JBG.

Derby look strong - genuinely think Richard Keogh is the best defender in the division. He can do it all.
  • What a difference a season makes, looked like we would (and probably did!) concede from every bloody corner against us. This season (so far!!!) we look organised, stronger, have more desire to win the ball. Is it better coaching? better players? or a mixture of both? I know SM and PB look very good and strong but I have noticed Jordan Cousins has managed a few important headers and clearances as well. LONG MAY IT CONTINUE....................

COYR............
  • Yes and if you add Big Mak and Morgan Fox who can both head the ball from defending a corner we do seem better.
    Just need Patrick and Simon to get on the end of the ball when we have corners.
  • where fanny?
  • timken said:

where fanny?

She was there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yep played well, defended brilliantly. And Watt was outstanding. Makienok brings so much to the side defensively. A little short on numbers there I felt but those that were there were in great voice.
  • It's all been written .. a hard won point against an expensively assembled side in front of a big crowd on nice sunny afternoon .. the possible weak links, Pope and Fox are massively improved from last term .. the team is tenacious, well organised, very powerful in the air and with a skilful front man in Watt .. BUT .. we need a bit more guile and craft in midfield .. watch out Forest, CAFC is on F I R E ((:>)
  • What a difference a season makes, looked like we would (and probably did!) concede from every bloody corner against us. This season (so far!!!) we look organised, stronger, have more desire to win the ball. Is it better coaching? better players? or a mixture of both? I know SM and PB look very good and strong but I have noticed Jordan Cousins has managed a few important headers and clearances as well. LONG MAY IT CONTINUE....................

COYR............

Absolutely this.

Jordan has a massive influence defensively which is sometimes overlooked because of his other attributes.
  • timken said:

where fanny?

I would imagine Fanny and Mr f will stay in the Dales and go straight to Nottingham On Tuesday.

• I never REALLY feel I know how we played until Fanny posts.
  • I thought Jordan Cousins made a couple of absolutely brilliant defence splitting passes yesterday, I'm still reeling from the block that Jacko made, when he took one for the team, Bauer what a panzer!
  • Strangely, both of the above posts are not wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Some of the Derby fans comments over on their site remind me of what opposition fans once said about us in our League One title winning season, many of them concluding that we are "a poor side" and won a point by "pure luck".

Lets hope history is repeating itself... So far, qpr fans annoyed, (some) Derby fans annoyed
  • Have just watched the extended highlights on CAFC player. Having seen Makienok at the West Ham friendly and also against QPR, I think he may end up netting around 10 this season and making/saving a lot more.

His shot which could have taken us 0-2 up against Derby was the shot of a striker without much game time or goal confidence. I think after he gets the first one or two, he will quickly add some more. I rate him as an addition and if we can get ventokele back fit, we have a good range of options in attack.

Feeling up about our prospects this time out right now, would love to have a good result against forest and then see us perform and do well against a very good hull side at home.
  • Makienok will not get ten he had the chance to finish the game yesterday and stroked straight at the keeper half decent goal scorers finish them.
  • Some of the Derby fans comments over on their site remind me of what opposition fans once said about us in our League One title winning season, many of them concluding that we are "a poor side" and won a point by "pure luck".

I thought the same but then remembered in that season some opposition fans believed we had bribed referees.

I guess we've got to wait until we play the Wendies for that.
  • Makienok will not get ten he had the chance to finish the game yesterday and stroked straight at the keeper half decent goal scorers finish them.

Because he missed one chance? Took Sergio Aguero five chances to score against Chelsea today. First one was a simple one on one. Guess he wasn't a half decent striker at that point
    Remember a few years ago when Suarez made a bad start to a season and couldn't score for trying. All the pundits were saying he wasn't a natural goalscorer, etc. Much as I detest him, even at the time I thought the criticism was very wrong.

I wanted GL to bring Big Mak on as a sub against the Daggers to give him an easier chance to get on the scoresheet, but he went for Reza instead - maybe on orders to give him the chance to bump up his own transfer value before the window closes.
  • edited August 2015
    Derby had 68 per cent possession and 23 shots at goal. Luzon is saying the right things: “There's no reason why we shouldn't win promotion this season.”

I worry about people like Ba, two years at Sunderland without a single game. And Cristian Ceballos, two years at Spurs, likewise. A couple of years ago we were loaned the captain of the Tottenham under-21s. He was – you believed - the next England star.

Jonathan Obika is now on the bench at Swindon.

We – Charlton – ought to stamp our authority on this game. We should seize possession, get forward, and frighten the bloody life out of the defenders.

I am very glad to see Luzon has the right ambitions.