Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Dagenham & Redbridge - post match views

Comments

• when is the draw for next round couldn't find it on tinternet, ta

It's on Thursday following Doncaster v Leeds game

• edited August 2015
    After so many limp league cup performances in recent years which, I confess, dissuaded me from making the significant efforts needed for me to attend a midweek match how refreshing to read such positivity.

Long may it continue and a lesson learned for me maybe!
  • Pleased that Luzon took the cup seriously by not changing the entire team, great to score 4 in this round for the 3rd year in a row, especially a goal each for three of our strikers, looking forward to the draw for the next round.

Its our year or not but it might be. :-)
  • SMW28 said:

when is the draw for next round couldn't find it on tinternet, ta

It's on Thursday following Doncaster v Leeds game

thanks
  • MarkyE83 said:
    Also, wtf were our defenders doing for their goal?
  • Jodi Jones didn't offer a lot. D and R were totally outplayed though to be fair.
  • Sponsored links:

• Apart from the goal we conceded a really impressive, accomplished, assured all round team performance last night - shame only 5,100 saw it. Very few mistakes, (Jack) Bauer and Sarr look the business, we played high/pressed and showed goal potential through-out the team. Early days I know but finding it hard to contain optimism - the games v Derby and Hull will provide a reality check but look less daunting that a week ago. COYR and well done team and GL.
  • EastStand said:

MarkyE83 said:
    Think Sarr should have stuck with his man instead of trying to make the tackle with 2 others.

• EastStand said:

MarkyE83 said:
    From the camera it looked as if there was a marginal offside decision to make one way or the other, but it doesn't look as if the players were trying to play the bloke offside, he was left in space in a central position, and probably Bauer or maybe Sarr should have been on him.
    Defensive organisational problem, which with a new partnership, and a generally adjusted team last night, is not a huge surprise.
    Not to say proper defensive drills and set ups should not be worked on for whatever combination of players we put out, mustn't be complacent.

• Rizzo said:

Enjoyed last night but not getting carried away. Thought most of the squad did well and was very pleased that Reza got a goal as I'm in the small minority that actually think he's a decent player if we somehow manage to avoid scapegoating him. The muppet boo boys behind me last night predictably got on his back before he'd even touched the ball but were remarkably silent after his goal. Not sure how they even saw it to be honest, as they spent literally the entire match glued to their smartphones and calling out the goal updates from everywhere else. Why would you even go to a game if you essentially just want to watch the vidiprinter?

I was thinking about this this morning. I remember leaving the Derby home game last year thinking we have a real team here that could go on and challenge, given the manor and style of that victory. I know that subsequently, the team under Peeters then adopted a more defensive stance and we never quite reached those heights again under Peeters. Although we are only 2 games in, I believe we have better players this time round and are under a better, more attack minded manager.

The test will be Saturday. Watt is our game changer. He loves it at the Valley with the crowd. I've never seen him play away so I don't know if he's any different? I presume not.

Although I'm slightly blinkered by my early season optimism, if the key players stay fit, I think we could push for the play offs
  • Jodi Jones ? Any good ? Worth a punt ?
  • markmc68 said:

Jodi Jones ? Any good ? Worth a punt ?

Definitely maybe. Small and not going to get much bigger but confident on the ball and doesn't hide.

• markmc68 said:

I thought for a 17 year old, he looked quite handy. Yes, he's not the finished article, but looked confident on the ball. Dealt with by Foxy, yes, but we're talking about Championship over League 2.

Buy him expecting to walk into the first team? No. Buy him to work through the academy, and be an asset in the future? Maybe...
  • Sponsored links:

• Their goal and being picky - Thought JJ put in a good shift but tired towards end of game and I thought he should have been tighter on Chambers (10) in the build up to their goal. Chambers was their best player and found a fair bit of space in that central area when D&R were pressing during last 20 mins. (Kashi was able to snuff-out threats in that zone for the full 90+ mins on Saturday).
  • Kashi young and fit, JJ old and returning from injury.

But yes if fit he could have done more.
  • markmc68 said:

I was impressed by him in the pre-season game at their place before I knew of any transfer interest. Last night, he looked one of their better players (albeit in a pretty poor team who we dominated throughout). As others have said, you wouldn't expect him to be in our first team yet, but think he'd be decent cover up front and on the right wing (where we're lacking). Think he has potential, and at 17 plenty of time to improve. I think I'd be pretty happy with that as a signing. Anyone know if there's been any movement on it since the bid that was apparently rejected last week?
  • I didn't realize we were being linked with Jodi Jones until today, so last night watching the game without paying much close attention to him I have to say that he really stood out for me. Very quick and direct. Looks older than 17.
  • Just watched the highlights - so TWWW has played a part in all five of the goals we have scored so far this season when he has been on the pitch...
  • cafctom said:

I didn't realize we were being linked with Jodi Jones until today, so last night watching the game without paying much close attention to him I have to say that he really stood out for me. Very quick and direct. Looks older than 17.

Needs to cut out the play acting and going to ground far too easy though.

Decent little player with lots of pace but the tendency to go down when anyone touched him let him down a bit. Did have a bit of a chuckle when Pope wiped him out with his diving headed clearance in the second half! Didn't know what hit him! :)

As others have said, I thought the number 10 (Chambers) was their best player on the night.
  • edited August 2015

Just watched the highlights - so TWWW has played a part in all five of the goals we have scored so far this season when he has been on the pitch...

Well noticed Weegie Addick, i hope the "Tony holds on to the ball too long and doesn't pass brigade" realise that.

• cafctom said:

In other news they now have 'Pie Cam', where you can win a box of pies at half time by waving like a pr!ck on the big screen.

Just knock the place down now FFS.

I'll get interested when the have a hairy pie cam.
  • edited August 2015