Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Dagenham & Redbridge - post match views

Comments

• Really enjoyed that tonight. Good debuts for RCC and Nobby Sarr as well. Looking forward to Derby
  • Blucher said:

A very enjoyable evening. We played some good, sharp, high-tempo football and, as the scoreline suggests, never looked in any danger.

The team were surprisingly cohesive, given the number of changes and there were several positives, in addition to not ballsing it up against lower league opposition:

- debuts for two of our Academy lads and a first senior goal for Karlan Aherne-Grant, which will do him the world of good

- debuts for Ceballos and Sarr and a first start for Bergdych. They all did ok and this will help them bed in

- a good run out for Jacko

- another outstanding performance from Tony Watt, who was a level above anyone else on the park

- a dominant and composed performance from Patrick Bauer and a strong second half from Ba; and....

- to round it off, a neat finish from the moustachioed devil, Reza.

What more can you ask for on a damp Tuesday night. I think that Luzon will be pleased with what he saw.

This.
  • How did the sofa hold up in the rain...???!!

The sofa was covered up.
  • Really enjoyed this , my son got in for a pound, got to see 5 goals, not a bad evenings entertainment, well done to KAG, getting a goal tonight as well.
  • rananegra said:

An interesting game. We didn't look at risk and it was only a matter of time before the opener, which came of course from our Scottish maestro making it pretty much on his own. KAG got the 2nd, finishing from a clearance. Bauer bossed the back - Sarr didn;t look as convincing IMO. Watt set up Bergdych for the 3rd in the 2nd half, and shortly after he and Bergdych were subbed for Reza and JBG, who both looked lively and combined well, though Reza had a few comedy moments (including falling over in the box and appealing). He did well for his goal though.
    In between the subs and Reza's goal, Daggers pulled one back after the defence was asleep leaving the Dagenham player facing just Pope - not a lot he could do TBH. Pope overall had a more nervous game than Saturday's, with a couple of shots being spilled. He did also call regularly and come for balls and did a fantastic headed clearance when Jodi Jones was on a break with no defender close.
    All in all, an enjoyable night. COYR!

And this.
  • We played some nice football and passed the ball around well. Not convinced by Charles-Cook at RB - maybe more effective as a midfielder.
    Pope spilled a few shots and was lucky not to be punished
    KAG did well and TWatt looked dangerous as usual.
    Bauer looks an excellent signing and Big Nobby looked more composed than I expected.
    Classy finish by Reza!
  • A very enjoyable night, which I don't often say for a League Cup 1st round game.

We won comfortably, dominating from start to finish.

4-1 was a fair reflection, although it could have been more.

Our control, passing, movement and attitude was first class.

They all played well. Well done to all.

It has certainly given me more confidence for Derby on Saturday (famous last words).
  • Sponsored links:

• PWR

I wasn't concentrating as much as usual, more chatting and generally enjoying things.

I first want to say that Dagenham were a whole lot better than they were in the pre-season friendly, but the crucial differences was in our threat and finishing, and in some errors by their players, like the keeping for Watt's goal. The Dagenham fans were a credit too, and although they lost at Portsmouth heavily and with a thin squad, I reckon they are a decent team and I wouldn't like to see them struggle this season. It was easy to be pleased they scored at 3-0, but I was glad they had something to cheer.

As for us, well the most interest was in the less familiar players. Cook was good and solid, but didn't have a lot to do, he had two awkward moments in the first half, but from a player who has crept up on us he is well worth keeping interested.
    Sarr, a big strong guy, tends to play the straightforward ball out of defence, but his passing ought to be a bit kinder to the recipient. Will need a few more games I think.
    Bergditch carried on where he left off on Saturday, good running to be set up by Watt for his goal, decent. A positive performance, and some good contributions. Cebellos has good technique, and really likes to disguise a pass, but somehow he made little difference, I felt there was something lacking, perhaps it was the need for more integration with his new club.

My observations on the other players were that Ba could do with being about 10 to 15% sharper in all aspects of his game, then he could be really good, I am looking forward to the game when Bauer is in a significant personal battle with a bruiser style striker, could be a good watch that one.

Fox is now easy to take for granted, he was playing Jones who we are supposed to be interested in, and was very effective against him, Jones faded, and I think we have several promising youngsters here already, so signing Jones would not be vital.
    Jones is very young, so I am not sure what kind of career he will eventually have.

Jacko and Ba were bypassed by the general play most of the time, the pattern of the game didn't really involve central midfield a lot, Aherne Grant and Watt were both very good, and a threat all the time they were on the pitch. Watt was involved in three of our goals and our best player, Aherne Grant is 17, seventeen, let him develop with no pressure at this age and his football will delight.

I thought Pope might have been affected by long periods of inactivity, and he wasn't as authoritative as on Saturday, but there was a nice amusing bit where he headed it after rushing out of his area.

JBG was great when he came on but THD flitted in and out, and then there was Reza.

Reza wasn't a target man this time like in the World Cup for Iran, he was playing more like Watt. He has got a great little sprint, and all the self belief a player would need. His goal was well taken from a narrow angle, made all the better because we could see it coming as the move developed, and we could relish every bit of it as we knew for certain that our World Cup Goalscoring Hero was going to put it away.
    See Reza, wasn't that lovely? A goal against Dagenham and Redbridge in the first round of the Capital One Cup at the Valley, trumps a goal against Bosnia Herzegovina in the world Cup Finals in Brazil, I know you feel it too the same as me Rez.
    Mind you the old Reza of the fall, the point, the playing in a bubble, was also lurking there, my goodness if he could only change a few aspects of his play he would be pretty good, but we can't wait forever for it.

It was the East Stand that stank the place out tonight, not the entertainment on show.
  • edited August 2015
    Pretty much what everyone else said. I came away thinking that for the first time in ages we have a proper squad. Still the odd weakness that needs to be attended to but we knew that before tonight. Some key individuals who need to be nurtured/wrapped in cotton wool/have their tummies tickled as necessary (TWatt, JBG - why on earth was he brought on tonight?!!! - Solly). But things are looking up. A pleasant evening. Limited opposition summarily dispatched. Keeper required as a matter of urgency - can Dmitrovic not be recalled??

• Scanned through the posts, has anyone mentioned JJ's superb bit of thinking and pass for Watts goal. Highlight of the game for me.
  • posted this on players marks, it should be here so I've moved it:

It was just a professional perfemance. It's so easy to lose these kind of matches due to players switching off.

As seems to have been the case elsewhere in the Championship and down the Surrey Canal Road. Blackburn, Brentford, Hudds, Bristol City, Forest, Burnley and Bolton all out, Hull got through on penalties.

But still, imagine losing at home to a team who were non-league last season.
  • Serious potential in this squad. Bauer and Sarr will be a very important partnership once Sarr gets fit. So often Charlton have blown up in matches like this but tonight under Guy we looked interested and controlled. Echo the comments above about Popes continual spilling of everything below waist height. Solid performance by Fox who I thought was our most consistent performance over 90 mins. I don't begrudge Tony Watt his mom. He's explosive. Like the look of Bergdich he's pacy and aggressive. Last comment reserved for Charles-Cook. What a debut. Slipped under my radar and looks a real find.
  • Sponsored links:

• 995632 said:

Who is Sanchez?

Big Sergio. He scored tonight

• Enjoyable without being particularly exciting. Pleased to see the new players over the last two games as I probably won't see any more games this season. Two games, two wins. Happy.
  • Who is Sanchez?

995632 said:

Who is Sanchez?

Yeah... Still don't get it...
  • 2 games in, 6 scored, 1 conceded, 3 strikers have scored and Watt top goal scorer. Anyone know when the 2nd round draw is?
  • JaShea99 said:

2 games in, 6 scored, 1 conceded, 3 strikers have scored and Watt top goal scorer. Anyone know when the 2nd round draw is?

draws on thursday, sure nobody will want to miss tomorrows highlights on Channel 5...
  • Jodi Jones any good?

Fox had him in his pocket tonight.
    Reduce offer to 200k and loan him back to Daggers.
  • 995632 said:

Who is Sanchez?

995632 said:

Who is Sanchez?

Yeah... Still don't get it...
    Quite. Who is this Sanchez/ Big Sergio ? Am I being whooshed ?