Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Dagenham - Preview (and Match Thread from page 4)

Football League Cup - First Round
Charlton Athletic v Dagenham & Redbridge
7:45pm Kick-Off

INTROUDCTION
The road to Wembley starts here as the first teams from the Football League contest for what will be the first silverware of the season, for Charlton Athletic, the road to Wembley will probably end here, many fans will want to look away and hide behind the sofa for our next match this Tuesday night, with First Round memories still fresh many will remember the 4-3 defeat against; League Two: Shrewsbury Town (When we took a 3-0 lead into Half-Time) or the 1-0 defeat at the hands of League Two: Wycombe Wanderers in the Quarter-Finals which turned out to be the last match in charge for Les Reed… Thankfully though there is now a glimmer of light, it has been two years since the Addicks failed to get past the first stage of this competition, now… can they make it third time lucky against Dagenham and Redbridge?

THE OPPOSITION
Quite surprisingly there is a bit of history between these two sides (albeit friendly), it began in 2001 when the sides first met when Dagenham almost became the first Non-League side to defeat a Premier League side in the FA Cup, thankfully it didn’t happen yet fast-forward nine years and the two sides would be meeting in League One together for the first time, despite only lasting one season in League One, Dagenham have struggled in the fourth tier and sadly, relegation back to the Conference may not come as a surprise to many this season.

Last Season: Wayne Burnett has only been the Dagenham manager since 2013 yet is already working wonders at the club as they maintained a respectable mid-table placement (aided by the impressive Charlton loanee: Ayo Obileye) whilst working on one of the lowest budgets in the Division, their run in the League Cup last season was brief although they did take Championship side: Brentford to a penalty shootout.

Pre-Season: Many top sides depart these shores for foreign tours in the summer, teams like League Two: Dagenham got to tour the Non-League clubs winning at St. Albans City (4-0) and Maidstone United (1-0) whilst also defeating Southend United (2-1) and the biggest Non-League side of the lot; Crystal Palace (1-0)… Of course their biggest friendly of the summer also ended in defeat… In July they hosted Charlton Athletic losing 2-0, hopefully for Charlton fans, Tuesday result will go much the same way.

This Season: Of course we’re only one match into the new season, but Dagenham began their campaign with a 3-0 defeat away at Portsmouth, of course for a team with such a low budget, all transfers have been on a Free, most notable is the signing of Kane Ferdinand from Peterborough United, cousin of Anton / Rio and Les Ferdinand.

KEY PLAYER
Is certainly difficult naming a key player from the Dagenham side when I don’t know many names from their squad, in terms of links between the two sides, I’ve already mentioned young Defender; Ayo Obileye who appeared on loan for Dagenham last season whilst Danny Green and Paul Benson are the other two players with links between the two sides after making the move to the Valley from Essex.

I know though against Queens Park Rangers, I used Charlie Austin as the key player which was a bit of an easy option yet for this match I believe that the key player for Dagenham is almost certainly veteran Striker: Jamie Cuerton - At the age of 39 you’d expect Cureton to be making limit appearances yet ended last term as the Dagenham top goal scorer with 19-goals… In a career which has spanned 16 clubs, from the Premier League to League Two via South Korea, he may lack the pace of a young up and coming Striker but he has the brain to know where the goal is and our Defence will have to stay alert to stop him adding to an already impressive goal tally.

CHARLTON TEAM NEWS
It will once again remain to see what team Guy Luzon plays in what could be seen as a glorified Pre-Season Friendly for those still lacking match sharpness, with Dimitar Mitov still maybe too young for the First Team we should see Nick Pope once again in goal… As for the likes of others I’d be surprised if Naby Sarr, Zakarya Bergdich, Cristian Ceballos and Reza Ghoochanniejad don’t get given the chance to increase their fitness.

Pope
Solly – Sarr – Lennon – Bergdich
Charles-Cook – Cousins – Jackson – Ceballos
Ahearne-Grant – Ghoochanniejad

PREDICTION
With Luzon admitting that he hates losing I can’t see the team taking this match easy, especially if it’s a chance for the fringe players to impress.

Charlton Athletic 4-0 Dagenham & Redbridge

Comments

• The match is yesterday at 3pm?
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • C_A_F_C said:

The match is yesterday at 3pm?

Cheers for that... Have corrected now
  • Don't think Luzon will risk Solly in a game like this. Expect Charles-Cook may fill in at RB instead
  • Mitov
    Charles-Cook Sarr Lennon Holmes-Dennis
    Ceballos Jackson Muldoon Bergdich
    Ghoochannejhad Kennedy

Pope, Solly, Bauer, Cousins, Harriott, Ahearne-Grant, Watt
  • edited August 2015
    ---------Pope
    ----RCC Sarr Bauer THD
    JBG Jackson Ceballos Bergdich
    -------KAG Reza

Mitov, Solly, Diarra, Lennon, Cousins, Harriott, Kennedy

is about what I'm expecting.

Another 2-0 win and we'll draw West Ham at Upton Park in the next round.
  • Pope
    Barnes Sarr Lennon H-Dennis
    C-Cook Jackson Ceballos Bergdich
    A-Grant Makienok

2-2, we win on pens and get Bolton away in Round 2.
  • sam3110 said:

Mitov
    Ghoochannejhad Kennedy

11 changes is a bit extreme I would hope - for a squad our size we can't field a competitive team doing that. That's basically throwing the game. I would like to see something like:

Pope
    Charles Cook
    Sarr
    Bauer
    Holmes Dennis
    Ceballos
    Jackson
    Cousins
    Bergdich
    Makienok
    Reza
  • Hopefully not too many changes, as it really would be nice to take both cups seriously this season.
  • C_A_F_C said:

Pope
    Barnes Sarr Lennon H-Dennis
    C-Cook Jackson Ceballos Bergdich
    A-Grant Makienok

2-2, we win on pens and get Bolton away in Round 2.

No it will be Huddersfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone know which areas are open for the Dagenham game. Thank you.
  • Busy couple of weeks coming up. Rest all the key players and give the youngsters a chance
  • Anyone know which areas are open for the Dagenham game. Thank you.

Think it's just North upper and quadrants closed.
  • I've resisted saying anything for a while because I don't want to seem pendantic, but can the OP please learn how to use full stops? It's so hard to read when it's all one long sentence.
  • Hi all whats ticket prices for adult on tuesday
  • Yeah I could have predicted that response. I'm not saying they're not good, I'm not saying I am any more qualified to write them, I'm simply asking that full stops are used.
  • Football League Cup - First Round
    Charlton Athletic v Dagenham & Redbridge
    7:45pm Kick-Off

INTROUDCTION
    The road to Wembley starts here as the first teams from the Football League contest for what will be the first silverware of the season, for Charlton Athletic, the road to Wembley will probably end here, many fans will want to look away and hide behind the sofa for our next match this Tuesday night, with First Round memories still fresh many will remember the 4-3 defeat against; League Two: Shrewsbury Town (When we took a 3-0 lead into Half-Time) or the 1-0 defeat at the hands of League Two: Wycombe Wanderers in the Quarter-Finals which turned out to be the last match in charge for Les Reed… Thankfully though there is now a glimmer of light, it has been two years since the Addicks failed to get past the first stage of this competition, now… can they make it third time lucky against Dagenham and Redbridge?

THE OPPOSITION
    Quite surprisingly there is a bit of history between these two sides (albeit friendly), it began in 2001 when the sides first met when Dagenham almost became the first Non-League side to defeat a Premier League side in the FA Cup, thankfully it didn’t happen yet fast-forward nine years and the two sides would be meeting in League One together for the first time, despite only lasting one season in League One, Dagenham have struggled in the fourth tier and sadly, relegation back to the Conference may not come as a surprise to many this season.

Last Season: Wayne Burnett has only been the Dagenham manager since 2013 yet is already working wonders at the club as they maintained a respectable mid-table placement (aided by the impressive Charlton loanee: Ayo Obileye) whilst working on one of the lowest budgets in the Division, their run in the League Cup last season was brief although they did take Championship side: Brentford to a penalty shootout.

Pre-Season: Many top sides depart these shores for foreign tours in the summer, teams like League Two: Dagenham got to tour the Non-League clubs winning at St. Albans City (4-0) and Maidstone United (1-0) whilst also defeating Southend United (2-1) and the biggest Non-League side of the lot; Crystal Palace (1-0)… Of course their biggest friendly of the summer also ended in defeat… In July they hosted Charlton Athletic losing 2-0, hopefully for Charlton fans, Tuesday result will go much the same way.

This Season: Of course we’re only one match into the new season, but Dagenham began their campaign with a 3-0 defeat away at Portsmouth, of course for a team with such a low budget, all transfers have been on a Free, most notable is the signing of Kane Ferdinand from Peterborough United, cousin of Anton / Rio and Les Ferdinand.

KEY PLAYER
    Is certainly difficult naming a key player from the Dagenham side when I don’t know many names from their squad, in terms of links between the two sides, I’ve already mentioned young Defender; Ayo Obileye who appeared on loan for Dagenham last season whilst Danny Green and Paul Benson are the other two players with links between the two sides after making the move to the Valley from Essex.

I know though against Queens Park Rangers, I used Charlie Austin as the key player which was a bit of an easy option yet for this match I believe that the key player for Dagenham is almost certainly veteran Striker: Jamie Cuerton - At the age of 39 you’d expect Cureton to be making limit appearances yet ended last term as the Dagenham top goal scorer with 19-goals… In a career which has spanned 16 clubs, from the Premier League to League Two via South Korea, he may lack the pace of a young up and coming Striker but he has the brain to know where the goal is and our Defence will have to stay alert to stop him adding to an already impressive goal tally.

CHARLTON TEAM NEWS
    It will once again remain to see what team Guy Luzon plays in what could be seen as a glorified Pre-Season Friendly for those still lacking match sharpness, with Dimitar Mitov still maybe too young for the First Team we should see Nick Pope once again in goal… As for the likes of others I’d be surprised if Naby Sarr, Zakarya Bergdich, Cristian Ceballos and Reza Ghoochanniejad don’t get given the chance to increase their fitness.

Pope
    Solly – Sarr – Lennon – Bergdich
    Charles-Cook – Cousins – Jackson – Ceballos
    Ahearne-Grant – Ghoochanniejad

PREDICTION
    With Luzon admitting that he hates losing I can’t see the team taking this match easy, especially if it’s a chance for the fringe players to impress.

Charlton Athletic 4-0 Dagenham & Redbridge

I don't think Solly will play
  • Is like to see the same two CBs and keeper. The more they player together, the more they'll learn. Would be nice to see the likes of THD, RCC and KAG involved with Kennedy on the bench too.

I hope we have enough quality out there to win. A balance between young and old will be ideal.
  • JaShea99 said:

Yeah I could have predicted that response. I'm not saying they're not good, I'm not saying I am any more qualified to write them, I'm simply asking that full stops are used.

No, I was suggesting that you should have a go at writing a preview.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'll say 3-0 to Charlton. Can't see us being too bothered by the Daggers and it should be a comfortable game for the lads. Would love to see Sarr and Bergdich get a full 90, as well as a couple of the other new boys, this would probably be a good chance for Ahearne-Grant to impress as well. Ohh and Stuart Attwell has the game if anyone cares lol
  • Maybe RCC will deputise for solly as he did at Bolton.
  • cazo said:

Hi all whats ticket prices for adult on tuesday

£10

£1 u18's with accompanying adult
  • JaShea99 said:

Yeah I could have predicted that response. I'm not saying they're not good, I'm not saying I am any more qualified to write them, I'm simply asking that full stops are used.

No, I was suggesting that you should have a go at writing a preview.
    In fairness, it was difficult to understand that, because you didn't use a question mark.....
  • sam3110 said:

Mitov
    Ghoochannejhad Kennedy

11 changes is a bit extreme I would hope - for a squad our size we can't field a competitive team doing that. That's basically throwing the game. I would like to see something like:

Pope
    Charles Cook
    Sarr
    Bauer
    Holmes Dennis
    Ceballos
    Jackson
    Cousins
    Bergdich
    Makienok
    Reza
    I wouldn't say that team is so weak that it would be throwing the game, D&R aren't going to be a walk in the park but the starting XI I have chosen would have enough about it to play good football and test the opposition. At the end of the day many of these players will feature this season, and playing cup football will give them a better chance to develop than reserve and under games will
  • Can't see Reza starting. He's had less than one full game in pre-season I think (?)

My team, with a few sub options;

Pope

Charles Cook
    Sarr
    Bauer
    Fox (Lennon)

Bergdich (THD)
    Jackson
    Cousins
    Ceballos

Makienok (Watt)
    A-Grant (Reza)
  • don't normally go to League Cup games but fancy watching some of the new signs like Ceballos and Bergdich.

Me too. Its just a shame that we can't know the team before committing to go but I'm not doing anything else and have my mate's ST fiasco to sort out in his absence on holiday.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!