Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BBC Special on the Olympic Stadium this Thursday!

Comments

• Surely plenty more ammo left in the locker for follow-ups. And if/when BoJo challenges Cameron for the Tory leadership, expect some swift revelations and the odd public enquiry or two ....

BoJo has more skeletons in his closet than Burke & Hare, still wouldn't stop some members of the Tory party voting for him.
  • I agree with NLA, West Ham have done nothing wrong, the owners made it clear in 2010 they would take the stadium on, alterations should have been put in place then
  • Sullivan and Gold bought WHU with one eye on the Olympic stadium and the probability of their stock value raising beyond belief linked to the resultant move. These are hard nosed businessmen who took part in a cabal - they must be aware that a major part of their profiteering comes off the back of the taxpayer and consequently should take their share of the responsibility for the outrage.

Having said that, my guess is that the establishment will close ranks, Boris will shake his golden locks, mumble something irrelevant and then be forgiven by his adoring public. The best we can hope for is a few black eyes and a bloody nose or two. As far as Sullivan and Gold are concerned the money is (as good as) in the bank.

Their supposed love of WHU, the history, culture and traditional support of the club means nothing to them as they look to cash in and promote ‘Team London’ to the World.

Well done to CAST for an excellent job.
  • I agree with NLA, West Ham have done nothing wrong, the owners made it clear in 2010 they would take the stadium on, alterations should have been put in place then

Which was one of the points made in the programme by the consultants, Arrups......... but the stadia's 'iconic' design was demanded by Boris and co.
    Did you see the programme ?. Why did Westham not appear in the film, if they are so proud of the deal?. Certainly a very financially advantageous one for them..... pity the taxpayer has to foot the bill...... that is me you, and all the rest of us.

They might have expected to pay for it though !
  • We simply must have West Ham relegated this season. If they start life in that stadium playing say Burton at home, that will be the hardest message about how shocking the process has been.

They'll prob stay up this season I reckon but if they did go down and the reality hit home that the taxpayer was funding championship football, it would be laughable
  • edited August 2015
    Can't believe there are West Ham apologists on here. Whats going on is a total disgrace.
  • cabbles said:

We simply must have West Ham relegated this season. If they start life in that stadium playing say Burton at home, that will be the hardest message about how shocking the process has been.

They'll prob stay up this season I reckon but if they did go down and the reality hit home that the taxpayer was funding championship football, it would be laughable

Especially as we believe their rent decreases from the "peppercorn" they're paying at the moment in the event of relegation.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

cabbles said:

We simply must have West Ham relegated this season. If they start life in that stadium playing say Burton at home, that will be the hardest message about how shocking the process has been.

Especially as we believe their rent decreases from the "peppercorn" they're paying at the moment in the event of relegation.
    Maybe we could pay them to play football there in a reverse rent? Sort of like pay back for winning the World Cup for the country and bringing through some great players recently like Defoe, Jenks and Poyet?
    Even if they stay in the Prem @Athletico Charlton we WILL be paying them shortly anyway!

The rent linked to inflation will be outstripped very quickly by the match day costs which, you can bet your life, will rise far quicker than that!

• Sullivan and Gold I think were interested in Charlton a few years back,could we have been moving to The Olympic Stadium?
  • Derek1952 said:

Sullivan and Gold I think were interested in Charlton a few years back,could we have been moving to The Olympic Stadium?

What side of the river is it ?
  • Derek1952 said:

Sullivan and Gold I think were interested in Charlton a few years back,could we have been moving to The Olympic Stadium?

They were just playing hard ball with the hamsters.
  • So what next? should I be lobbying my MP to get a public enquiry set up to find out why public funds are being used to give an advantage to one particular business?
  • Sponsored links:

• Well done @PragueAddick and others.

Whether you want to focus on the potential Charlton impact or not, the whole thing is an absolute disgrace, and I'm pretty sure if it wasn't for the hard work and belligerence from a few individuals then none of this would be getting any real airtime at all.

Those responsible for this ridiculous carve up should be fully exposed, and I suspect there is a huge amount of political pressure being lent on media as the main culprit is the Conservatives future golden boy.

It will certainly give the Tory big wigs a chance to chop Boris down a peg or two. I doubt George Osborne has much liking for Boris.

• Addickted said:

What surprised me most was Spurs offered to take over the site, build a demolish the 'iconic' stadium and build a purpose built football stadium funded entirely by them.

How on earth did the LLDC turn down that offer, which would have completely removed the white elephant and future expenditure over the next 99 years.

The original Spurs offer included redeveloping the National Sports Centre at Crystal Palace. I
    understand that the LLDC turned that down on the premise that athletics needed to be part of the solution at the OS.

If I remember rightly West Ham originally agreed to let the OS without the movable track/stand solution.
  • I agree that West Ham aren't at fault. They have taken advantage of the situation that presented itself. The fault lies somewhere, in government for allowing this mess to occur.

Can I ask what the desired end point is?

Heads to roll in Westminster, County Hall, Mayors Office, what ever?

Or, should the contracts be ripped up and re-negotiated at a sensible rent? West Ham aren't in a position to walk away, if Upton Park has been sold. Perhaps they could go and ground share at Orient.

I just don't see where this is going. Is there a sensible solution?
  • How much would Spurs or Chelsea be charged if they were to play there while their grounds are being built?
  • I'd also question west ham's write down on the value of Upton park, knocking £50 million of its value for no apparent reason, when arguably its value has just soared (due to being actually available to buy) sounds dodgy at best, fraudulent at worst. Maybe HMRC would be interested in that little change of accounting method.
  • Well done @PragueAddick and others.

Whether you want to focus on the potential Charlton impact or not, the whole thing is an absolute disgrace, and I'm pretty sure if it wasn't for the hard work and belligerence from a few individuals then none of this would be getting any real airtime at all.

Those responsible for this ridiculous carve up should be fully exposed, and I suspect there is a huge amount of political pressure being lent on media as the main culprit is the Conservatives future golden boy.

Without meaning to derail this in to another political discussion, but I don't really think Boris is a Conservative Golden Boy. He's too marmite and he's too prepared to go against the party line. I wouldn't be surprised if it was possible to get a few Conservative MPs interested if only to try and put the knife in his back.
  • I agree that West Ham aren't at fault. They have taken advantage of the situation that presented itself. The fault lies somewhere, in government for allowing this mess to occur.

Can I ask what the desired end point is?

Heads to roll in Westminster, County Hall, Mayors Office, what ever?

Or, should the contracts be ripped up and re-negotiated at a sensible rent? West Ham aren't in a position to walk away, if Upton Park has been sold. Perhaps they could go and ground share at Orient.

I just don't see where this is going. Is there a sensible solution?

As I understand it if West Ham are found to have been given an unfair commercial advantage with tax payers money then they will be liable to pay it back.

I think this sanction can only come out of an EU investigation.

But don't concern yourself too much. Nothing more than tut tutting will happen.

• How much would Spurs or Chelsea be charged if they were to play there while their grounds are being built?

Surely LLDC should be doing all they can to welcome them in, given that the Wembley option is apparently £10m a season.

I suspect each club may say that they'd like the same commercial deal as the Hamsters which no-one at LLDC could possibly deny...seeing as it is such a good deal!!
  • edited August 2015
    . (I'm an idiot)