Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BBC Special on the Olympic Stadium this Thursday!

Comments

• Surely plenty more ammo left in the locker for follow-ups. And if/when BoJo challenges Cameron for the Tory leadership, expect some swift revelations and the odd public enquiry or two ....

Great minds....GHF!
  • Missed it due to doing a paper round. Something I didn't expect to say at my age!

Look forward to catching up later.
  • WHam's audited accounts from 2010 valued the Boleyn Ground at:

2010: £66.3m (inc plant,fittings & equipment at £1.94m)
    2011: £66.3m (same as above)
    2012: £71.2m (inc p, f & e at £1.02m)

In 2013 they changed their accounting having done the deal for the OS and wrote £50.935m off of their Freehold, land & buildings

That seems a very sizeable write down, but it lets them say they're contributing the proceeds from the sale as their (almost full) contribution of £15m to this deal.

Another redacted/unavailable document is how much they have actually pocketed from the developers of the Boleyn.
  • Well done to everyone involved. It's been reported Chelsea and Spurs might have to paying £10 million a year rent, for Wembley stadium then West Ham have certainly struck gold. It would have been nice to see them make statements or be involved in this program.
  • I won't be able to watch the show but who exactly is "paying for corner flags"? Is it Newham, LLDC, GLA or central government?
  • IA said:

I won't be able to watch the show but who exactly is "paying for corner flags"? Is it Newham, LLDC, GLA or central government?

The leasing organisation ie the taxpayer - the corner flags, the goal posts, the pitch maintenance, the undersoil heating, the toilets, the security, even the matchday policing.
  • Well done to the Supporters trust for all the hard work put in. We the people want clarity on this issue and we want it now.

This scandal is not going away.
  • Well done all. I enjoyed the programme and we were shaking our heads quite a few times. What a deal!! I hope it goes further.

Great shots of the Museum.

• IA said:

I won't be able to watch the show but who exactly is "paying for corner flags"? Is it Newham, LLDC, GLA or central government?

The leasing organisation ie the taxpayer - the corner flags, the goal posts, the pitch maintenance, the undersoil heating, the toilets, the security, even the matchday policing.
    OK, thanks. The stadium company? Who are wholly owned by some govt authority or a joint venture between some of them?

Sorry, didnt mean to seem like I was having a go. Well done to all at the trust on this - great job
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't remember a programme making me feel angry and proud before but well done Richard and Steve. Hopefully this should bring other into the fray and really start the ball rolling.
  • What time is this available in I player? Just checked and it's not available yet.
  • IA said:

IA said:

OK, thanks. The stadium company? Who are wholly owned by some govt authority or a joint venture between some of them?

Sorry, didnt mean to seem like I was having a go. Well done to all at the trust on this - great job
    According to Wiki the stadium is owned by the GLA and operated by the LLDC.
  • se9addick said:

IA said:

IA said:

According to Wiki the stadium is owned by the GLA and operated by the LLDC.
    Ah, didnt even think of wiki. Thank you very much
  • pioneer said:

What time is this available in I player? Just checked and it's not available yet.

??? I just finished watching on iplayer
  • Well done @PragueAddick and others.

Whether you want to focus on the potential Charlton impact or not, the whole thing is an absolute disgrace, and I'm pretty sure if it wasn't for the hard work and belligerence from a few individuals then none of this would be getting any real airtime at all.

Those responsible for this ridiculous carve up should be fully exposed, and I suspect there is a huge amount of political pressure being lent on media as the main culprit is the Conservatives future golden boy.
  • edited August 2015
    dh1970 said:

Issue is simple DH, many fear competitive advantage given to WH will enable them to prosper in Prem and therefore act as a magnet for future generations of supporters that may have been persuaded to support other sides in the area. Ourselves included. It isn't really that hard to understand fella is it? Make life more awkward for WH in an attempt to protect our own interests. If your interest only lay in the financial realities of a the Olympic legacy then I suggest this perhaps means you see CAFC less as a club and more of an entertainment that may come and go as the market dictates.
    Not a dig DH just an observation.

I understand all the motivation behind CAST involvement what I don't get that other than embarrassing the decision makers behind the stadium what they are trying say West Ham have done wrong unless some kind of corruption is involved which is not being suggested, using West Ham in the story is to generate emotion and get people watching but when I look into the claims that is all they are in that they are assumptions and little else.

Surely the real story is the mismanagement of the process that has created a situation were a deal that looks beneficial to West Ham has been seen as viable but even in doing that I don't understand what people think will change in regards of West Ham, the last time someone went down this path West Ham ended up with even better deal so who is to say that will not happen again.

I can only reiterate the fairest solution was to give West Ham the stadium at a cost and leave all the conversion costs in turning it into a football stadium meaning by default the taxpayer would have received the proceeds from the sale of their ground and West Ham a lot of debt, instead they now rent what are basically serviced facilities at an agreed price for 25 or so days a year leaving 300 and more days for those running the stadium to hire out to other parties to agree similar but smaller deals. In respect of the sale of their ground if you sell your home and move into rented accommodation what relevance is it what you do with the money you banked from the sale?

West Ham will only be taking fans from the likes of Charlton if they are more successful and I would argue that in my lifetime they have been doing that pretty well compare to us without the Olympic Stadium, the challenge for Charlton is improve on pitch and we will see crowds returning regardless of whatever West Ham are doing at their new stadium. I no more worried about us losing fans to West Ham than I am to Manchester United or Gillingham because for me it is what Charlton do or not do that wins or loses fans, those fans that want to support successful sides will find a successful side be it Chelsea or even West Ham like they have always done until Charlton's fortunes improve again.

Sorry for me this a non-story in regard of West Ham and just seems like a load football supporters jumping on a bandwagon to get their voices heard, I mean if say LiveNation take over the management of the other events at the stadium will you be supporting AEG claims when they say it is unfair to them?

dh1970 I am interested to know why this is the only thread that you have commented on since you joined in June. Do you have a particular interest in this subject or was the time just right to make a comment?
  • pioneer said:

What time is this available in I player? Just checked and it's not available yet.

??? I just finished watching on iplayer
    Cheers it's available now.
  • And a programme like this reminds us just why we need the BBC...

Well a lot of the football hacks are West Ham fans and they have been keeping well away from the subject.
    Interesting to see who comments on it tomorrow.
  • Sponsored links:

• I hope it doesn't end there though as I found it a bit flat, it certainly dome the job of raising awareness and will no doubt lead to questions being raised in parliament, but I was hoping for more and I can't help but feel a bit gutted that it never asked bo jo or anyone else involved some direct and harder questions

I know what you mean, but Bo Jo and West Ham both declined to participate. Personally I thought the programme was excellently crafted, but perhaps there's a next step of making these people accountable for committing public funds in this way, and then trying to hide it. There was an excellent point towards the end about the transparency of the City of Manchester stadium commercial deals. They won't want to reveal the deal, because it's offensive and outrageous.

Hopefully a football club will take up the baton and get the EC involved again - Dave Goldstone wasn't correct that the complaint had been rejected out of hand, rather the EC need someone directly impacted - i.e. a competitor - to make a complaint to take it further.

Steve and Prague were excellent, I thought.
  • Well after seeing the programme on iplayer , I can only hope that ourselves, orient and maybe millwall will make an official complaint - whether it be together or all separate.

just can't see RD and KM wanting to get involved in this and could be that our only input is through the CAST
  • Just got a quick mention on BBC Lonfon news.
  • TelMc32 said:

WHam's audited accounts from 2010 valued the Boleyn Ground at:

In 2013 they changed their accounting having done the deal for the OS and wrote £50.935m off of their Freehold, land & buildings

That seems a very sizeable write down, but it lets them say they're contributing the proceeds from the sale as their (almost full) contribution of £15m to this deal.

Another redacted/unavailable document is how much they have actually pocketed from the developers of the Boleyn.

I can tell you that Galliard intend to build 838 properties at an average price of £400,000. That amounts to over £330m potential revenues for Galliard. That land sold for way more than £15m, pal!

The previous valuations were based on the cost of rebuilding the ground to its original state, not a market valuation. This was effectively written down by taking a different accounting approach, justified by the fact it would never be rebuilt but sold. But you're right, the value of the ground itself became £16m - surprisingly close to the amount they will be contributing to the conversion.
  • rikofold said:

TelMc32 said:

WHam's audited accounts from 2010 valued the Boleyn Ground at:

I can tell you that Galliard intend to build 838 properties at an average price of £400,000. That amounts to over £330m potential revenues for Galliard. That land sold for way more than £15m, pal!

The previous valuations were based on the cost of rebuilding the ground to its original state, not a market valuation. This was effectively written down by taking a different accounting approach, justified by the fact it would never be rebuilt but sold. But you're right, the value of the ground itself became £16m - surprisingly close to the amount they will be contributing to the conversion.
    Thanks @rikofold I knew that Galliard figure was out there somewhere, but couldn't remember where I had seen it. I certainly wasn't suggesting it was right, but I'm sure I read some time back that they were contributing the proceeds of the sale.

Not sure what's more outrageous...the deal Gullivan (Trademark: @PragueAddick :) ) have done there or the fact that someone would pay £400k to live there!!

Oh, wait...no, it's still the deal for the stadium that tops the lot!!
  • Whether they get £400k each for them is open to question, of course - but the Olympic legacy regeneration is hardly going to harm property prices in the area now is it. :-)

Gullivan and Sold has a ring to it, no? :smile:
  • A link to a Daily Mail article on here... CL?

You're brave Bing ;0)

This whole situation has become one of those things in life that a relatively few people find beyond parody and absolutely breathtakingly perverse. Unfortunately the world is made up of far more brain dead, just going about their narrow lives with absolutely no sense of smell for what is a very very ripe old mess. The Hamsters will get away with it of course, and as the Pistols said succinctly back in the day "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"

• I dont see the issue as west ham have done anything wrong far from it, unless it's discovered that they have willing acted illegally in a bribery or backhand movement of assets or cash then they have struck a fantastic deal for the benefit of their business. There's nothing as of yet that West ham have got away with nor offer any form of apology for,

The issue lies with seb coe is his handling of building the stadium in the first place and those involved In the legacy committee and the mayors office