Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BBC Special on the Olympic Stadium this Thursday!

Comments

• Rothko said:

You should see the size of the cheques written by certain northern cities to host Rugby World Cup games

Missed It said:

Rothko said:

4- naming rights and revenue belong to LLDC and not West Ham

Do West Ham get no ticket revenue whatsoever then?
    West Ham do, of course, what they don't get is the revenue from naming rights, or the vast majority of the sales on the concourses which I think Delawear North have the contract for
    You have failed to mention one thing. West Ham keep 100% of the corporate hospitality revenue. It's massive. Capacity of 5,000 prawn sandwich eaters. Gullivan even publicly admitted a while back that this was what they wanted to get their hands on, not the sale of burgers.

• Issue is simple DH, many fear competitive advantage given to WH will enable them to prosper in Prem and therefore act as a magnet for future generations of supporters that may have been persuaded to support other sides in the area. Ourselves included. It isn't really that hard to understand fella is it? Make life more awkward for WH in an attempt to protect our own interests. If your interest only lay in the financial realities of a the Olympic legacy then I suggest this perhaps means you see CAFC less as a club and more of an entertainment that may come and go as the market dictates.
    Not a dig DH just an observation.

I understand all the motivation behind CAST involvement what I don't get that other than embarrassing the decision makers behind the stadium what they are trying say West Ham have done wrong unless some kind of corruption is involved which is not being suggested, using West Ham in the story is to generate emotion and get people watching but when I look into the claims that is all they are in that they are assumptions and little else.

Surely the real story is the mismanagement of the process that has created a situation were a deal that looks beneficial to West Ham has been seen as viable but even in doing that I don't understand what people think will change in regards of West Ham, the last time someone went down this path West Ham ended up with even better deal so who is to say that will not happen again.

I can only reiterate the fairest solution was to give West Ham the stadium at a cost and leave all the conversion costs in turning it into a football stadium meaning by default the taxpayer would have received the proceeds from the sale of their ground and West Ham a lot of debt, instead they now rent what are basically serviced facilities at an agreed price for 25 or so days a year leaving 300 and more days for those running the stadium to hire out to other parties to agree similar but smaller deals. In respect of the sale of their ground if you sell your home and move into rented accommodation what relevance is it what you do with the money you banked from the sale?

West Ham will only be taking fans from the likes of Charlton if they are more successful and I would argue that in my lifetime they have been doing that pretty well compare to us without the Olympic Stadium, the challenge for Charlton is improve on pitch and we will see crowds returning regardless of whatever West Ham are doing at their new stadium. I no more worried about us losing fans to West Ham than I am to Manchester United or Gillingham because for me it is what Charlton do or not do that wins or loses fans, those fans that want to support successful sides will find a successful side be it Chelsea or even West Ham like they have always done until Charlton's fortunes improve again.

Sorry for me this a non-story in regard of West Ham and just seems like a load football supporters jumping on a bandwagon to get their voices heard, I mean if say LiveNation take over the management of the other events at the stadium will you be supporting AEG claims when they say it is unfair to them?

• The storm gathers strength...

Sankha retweeted
    ZuluTango TV ‏@ZuluTangoTV 11m11 minutes ago
    UPDATE: BBC News Channel clearing their schedule tonight to run #howthehammersstruckgold tonight at 8.30pm nationally. @danroan

That's brilliant - I was just wondering how many people would miss the 7pm showing because of this bloody Tube strike (it's looking like I will!)
  • edited August 2015
    And interesting Tweet from @westhamfootball with link to castrust...

@westhamfootball
    The BBC interviewed Steve Clarke and Richard Hunt from Charlton Athletic Supporters Trust for tonight's documentary
    http://www.castrust.org/2015/08/bbc-special-on-the-olympic-stadium-this-thursday/
  • edited August 2015
    That's not West Ham's official Twitter. The official club handle is @whufc_official

At work until eight tonight so will be watching on iPlayer with interest.
  • That's not West Ham's official account, it's one done by a fan
  • Ah OK, thanks...
  • Sponsored links:

• Hmmmm.... I wonder what sort of point he's trying to make...
  • Will it be on iplayer? I'll probably be watching the cricket on channel 5!
  • Will it be on iplayer? I'll probably be watching the cricket on channel 5!

Yes. And you can now watch at 20.30 on BBC news channel
  • se9addick said:

Hmmmm.... I wonder what sort of point he's trying to make...

A pathetic tribal one which completely misses the point

• Stunning programme.
  • Very enlightening comparison between West Ham moving into the Olympic Stadium and Manchester City moving into the City of Manchester Stadium.
  • Great work and fruition of a few years effort, well done.

Was still showing wrongly on sky bbc1hd tonight, but that may be regional issue with that channel, showing fine on BBC 1 (sd).
  • Sounded like rather than paying rent they were receiving net benefits that effectively meant they were being paid to play there, or did I not hear that right?
  • razil said:

Sounded like rather than paying rent they were receiving net benefits that effectively meant they were being paid to play there, or did I not hear that right?

Yeh, that's what I thought, however in West Ham's statement, they said they were paying more than their fare share.
  • Sponsored links:

• Great work Trust guys. Huge credit.
  • Great work by the Trust and excellent delivery by Dan Roan and the BBC. The guy from the LLDC is an absolute joke.

Hopefully a number of clubs, including Charlton, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Orient, Ajax will all now think about lodging complaints with the EC re state aid.

Can't believe we're paying for bloody corner flags!!!
  • To be honest I think that's as good as a 30 minute prime time TV piece on the subject could be. Fair play to the BBC for picking up a difficult topic, would have been far easier for them to have stick with Fake Britain.
  • I hope it doesn't end there though as I found it a bit flat, it certainly dome the job of raising awareness and will no doubt lead to questions being raised in parliament, but I was hoping for more and I can't help but feel a bit gutted that it never asked bo jo or anyone else involved some direct and harder questions
  • Great effort though in getting it too here thus far
  • Trying to see what the West Ham fans response is on their forums. At the moment they are just going ape shit about how bad they are playing in their second leg Europa game.

Good

• Surely plenty more ammo left in the locker for follow-ups. And if/when BoJo challenges Cameron for the Tory leadership, expect some swift revelations and the odd public enquiry or two ....