Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

St Truiden v Charlton 18 July 2015 - match threads

Comments

• se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Katrien Meire at half time - "what this viewing, we need about 4 or 5 new players."

Really poor show from start to finish. Can't say anyone has caught the eye.

Did she say that or am I being thick ?
    Our U21s and U18s crumbled against a top tier side who start their season next week. On a pitch which is probably alien to most of them.

Jesus. Get a grip.
    Huh ? I have quite the grip thanks, I was wondering if our CEO had said we're still a good few players a way from where we need to be.
    In the pub and quoted the wrong post. Sorry about that. Was aimed at Bolloxbolder
  • St Truiden is a nice town to visit for a weekend. The football is a bit of a waste of time as it was last season.

Fair play for going Muttley but don't think you should ever attend a preseason friendly expecting to be entertained.
    I don't
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Katrien Meire at half time - "what this viewing, we need about 4 or 5 new players."

Our U21s and U18s crumbled against a top tier side who start their season next week. On a pitch which is probably alien to most of them.

Jesus. Get a grip.
    Huh ? I have quite the grip thanks, I was wondering if our CEO had said we're still a good few players a way from where we need to be.
    In the pub and quoted the wrong post. Sorry about that. Was aimed at Bolloxbolder
    ha, no worries !
  • Never nice being on the end of a straight forward drubbing, but that was nothing close to our first team so I'd read zip into that. Whether it was worthwhile playing with a very weak squad on a 3G pitch against decent oppo is a different matter, but next Saturday will be a completely different test and a far better indication of where we are.

Move on, as they say.

well, just as long as the management have learnt their lesson & play at least 70 mins with the senior players & not fill it with youngsters...... otherwise W.Spam will give us a serious tonking & then see this site really come alive !!.
  • This time last year we were Beating Gibralter 6-1 in Mijas.
    That was for fitness, and players getting to know each other,
    This is a bit Bizarre in the fact that 1st teamer left early to play in the Hamlet game.(Plastic pitch protection) Maybe were're trying to justify Being favourite for the drop.
  • se9addick said:

Sorry... Drunken text. I meant to say "with this viewing..."

And yes. It was said.
  • What annoyed me was the players walking off at end. Seemed like no passion... I know it's a pre season friendly etc but you expect more.

The result isn't important but we need more players.
  • se9addick said:

Sorry... Drunken text. I meant to say "with this viewing..."

And yes. It was said.
    Interesting stuff, cheers.

Oh, and your drunken texts are far more lucid than the shite I send to family members/bosses/ex girlfriends when I'm smashed !
  • Sponsored links:

• Still don't understand why we insist on playing full youth teams for half of the match. Get the best team you have together, or at least those who are definitely senior enough to be around the side, and get them acclimatized to each others' games. Surely that has to be a priority?

I'm all for giving kids a chance, but it just seems a bit OTT.
  • It is a little concerning how bad we have been so far this preseason, however we are attempting to bed in a new system and are short by a fair few players. Also, as many others more eloquent than me have said, the Belgian teams are ready for the big kick off whilst we are clearly not.

If we are going to persist with three at the back I hope we sign a quick player to complement Bauer and Diarra.
  • colin1961 said:

cfgs said:

It is a little concerning how bad we have been so far this preseason, however we are attempting to bed in a new system and are short by a fair few players. Also, as many others more eloquent than me have said, the Belgian teams are ready for the big kick off whilst we are clearly not.

If we are going to persist with three at the back I hope we sign a quick player to complement Bauer and Diarra.

Was you not at welling 45 mins we were very good , against a very good side in Genk w matches them it was just sharpness the diff , don't forget we lost at welling last season the went unbeaten till Nov
    October
  • cfgs said:

It is a little concerning how bad we have been so far this preseason, however we are attempting to bed in a new system and are short by a fair few players. Also, as many others more eloquent than me have said, the Belgian teams are ready for the big kick off whilst we are clearly not.

Watching the start of the game on Periscope it looked like we were playing 4-4-2.
  • If you're watching Periscope on your computer, press "Alt Gr" and the right arrow key together and you'll be watching the match landscape no problems.

When you want to go back to normal screen, hold down "Alt Gr" and the up arrow key together.

Was wondering how I would do Alt Gr - an upper case G and lower case r? Then I saw it has its own button!!! I've had this laptop for years and never spotted it before....
  • Does anyone really take much notice of pre season friendlies? Always been poo in all the years ive been following Charlton.
    People just regurgitate the same old shit every pre season, if we won every friendly 3 nil would that mean we are to finish in the top two? No thought not.

90/91. Unbeaten in pre season. First win in the league near the end of September.

Still adamant that playing a game on a surface in Belgium meant that 6 players from last year's first team squad plus Bikey and Holmes Dennis where due to play at Dulwich instead is no good for continuity in pre season.

Dagenham, West Ham, Southend, Bolton. 4 games left to get some idea for the QPR game.

• Davo55 said:

The bigger issue for me is the questionable value of playing St T in a pre-season friendly at all. Or indeed any Belgian club who are 3 weeks further advanced in their fitness and preparation than we are. I understand the network aspect but when a third of our first teamers aren't risked on their pitch, and there is such a clear disparity in fitness levels, I reckon the disadvantages are significant. Sure, we will get a bit fitter chasing shadows but wouldn't it be better to have a more competitive game, where Guy Luzon can focus on the tactical and teamwork preparation of the real first team squad?

The whole trip was more of a bonding exercise imo. Allowed the staff to work the players hard but when they relaxed, they didn't just get in their cars and go home, they stayed together. The game against Genk was a good exercise and the St Truden game better than just training.

• Davo55 said:

The bigger issue for me is the questionable value of playing St T in a pre-season friendly at all. Or indeed any Belgian club who are 3 weeks further advanced in their fitness and preparation than we are. I understand the network aspect but when a third of our first teamers aren't risked on their pitch, and there is such a clear disparity in fitness levels, I reckon the disadvantages are significant. Sure, we will get a bit fitter chasing shadows but wouldn't it be better to have a more competitive game, where Guy Luzon can focus on the tactical and teamwork preparation of the real first team squad?

The whole trip was more of a bonding exercise imo. Allowed the staff to work the players hard but when they relaxed, they didn't just get in their cars and go home, they stayed together. The game against Genk was a good exercise and the St Truden game better than just training.

But a load were shipped back for the Dulwich game because of the pitch at ST
  • Sponsored links:

• Like the fact I post a relatively positive post and I get attacked by Colin. Cripes!!!!
  • Davo55 said:

But a load were shipped back for the Dulwich game because of the pitch at ST
    On the last day. They still benefited from the Genk game and 3/4 days of team bonding and training.
  • Davo55 said:

But couldn't we have had that and done it somewhere where the whole team could stay together and play together ? If one of the main goals is bonding it seems odd to play somewhere that requires us to send a decent percentage of our tiny squad home early.
  • se9addick said:

Davo55 said:

But couldn't we have had that and done it somewhere where the whole team could stay together and play together ? If one of the main goals is bonding it seems odd to play somewhere that requires us to send a decent percentage of our tiny squad home early.
    Belgium was picked because it was presumably pretty cheap, and we were able to tie up a friendly against good opposition in Genk. Plus staying and training in Liege, it was a case of you know what you're gonna get.
  • se9addick said:

Davo55 said:

It would but we have an owner trying to solidify his network. It is his team so let him get on with it. Funnily enough every mentions the fact the Belgian are way ahead of us in preparation preparation, but fail to mention that in years past the preseason games were all easy games apart from the odd one. Bolton lost to Morecambe the other night, at least we lost in a European competition ;)
  • Didnt we win every Pre-Season match with James Walker scoring a hat-full of goals in the year we got relegated from the Premier League?
  • Is the Dagenham friendly happening?
  • Pitiful. What you got to say North Stand Steve, Barry Manilow and the other Roly apologists?

I take it by that you mean me? The person who recently wrote a massive post saying that Roland experiment didn't really seem to be working?

Brilliant.
  • Didnt we win every Pre-Season match with James Walker scoring a hat-full of goals in the year we got relegated from the Premier League?

pretty sure we got beat by welling that year