Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes 2015

Comments

• Options
    Positive cricket from Ali. Smashes Lyon for a six for 13 from five.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    dickplumb said:

I am surprised neither of the Marsh's are playing. I think we will be all out for about 220. The Snail to get a duck.

Pedro45 said:

Hope I'm wrong, but I think we'll be out for less than 200 (after recovering from 50-5!), they will bat for two days, then bowl us out for an innings or 9 wicket win...

England will get 362 :smile:

I'm winning :smile:
  • Options
    Buttler chips a Hazlewood ball to Johnson at wide mid on and is gone for 27.

343-7

Ali 26*
  • Options
    Broad in now and one suspects he will be "peppered".
  • Options
    343-7 at stumps off 88

Ali 26* (38)
    Broad 0* (6)

Much better than most of us thought but still think the Aussies are marginally ahead.
  • Options
    Agreed. Still think the Aussies are marginally ahead. Need another 50 on the board tomorrow and a few early wickets.

Good to see Ali and Buttler positive at the end of today. Decent run rate too. So much better playing this brand of cricket and seeing England having a go. Dont mind being on the wrong end of the odd result then.
  • Options
    I'd say the Aussies are ahead after day 1....just

A good days cricket though. Tomorrow morning is a big session
  • Options
    My prediction is Moeen out in the 2nd over and we scrape 380. Good days cricket but the Aussies are marginally on top.
  • Options
    Excellent day's cricket. I'd say England are marginally in front, but pretty even.

If we can get past 400, we will have put ourselves in a good position.
  • Options

Excellent day's cricket. I'd say England are marginally in front, but pretty even.

Having had time to contemplate I'd say we had a slightly better day. At one point Clarke was dicking around so much he had that horrible toad Warner dribbling stuff down.

I think he's going to struggle when Mitchell Johnson finds English pitches soft and slower than Australian ones
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:

Having had time to contemplate I'd say we had a slightly better day. At one point Clarke was dicking around so much he had that horrible toad Warner dribbling stuff down.

I think he's going to struggle when Mitchell Johnson finds English pitches soft and slower than Australian ones
    Johnson already has. Ineffective today, apart from shaking Ballance up a bit.
  • Options
    Think it's about even tbh. Both sides need a good morning tomorrow. Sounds like it was a cracking days cricket, hopefully the rest of the series is as fast scoring and with as many wickets falling!
  • Options
    About even on the day I think. Will be pleased if we make it to 400.

Anything under 300 would've been a bad sign going into the rest of the series. 350+ keeps us in the game and gives the bowlers something to work with.
  • Options
    Disagree that Aussies are ahead after Day One - make it even Stevens myself. Runs on the board are what counts and we've got quite a few of them. Their batting line-up is definitely their weaker suit so our boys should charge in tomorrow and who knows what could happen
  • Options
    I'm not sure. They have plenty of batters who can put in a good score, and our bowlers will need to be at their best. I don't think we will get 400. 370-80, but not bad. I'd give the Aussies the edge, but it can change so quickly. Why I love test cricket
  • Options
    About even for me. i can't see Broad lasting more than 10 minutes with a fairly new ball ( wood should be ahead of him in the order anyway) . Anything near 400 would be really good , anything over is a big bonus..
  • Options

Carter said:

Johnson already has. Ineffective today, apart from shaking Ballance up a bit.
    Yeah I should probably have added that, and the vibe Clarke gave was he knew Johnson was going to find today hard going more so than Starc or Hazelwood who impressed me. Watched every ball today and have to say we are due some luck and Root got it. Bell has been in dreadful form but we all know he has got some barnstorming innings' in him.

I still think a lot of club batsmen would refuse to bat against Mitchell Johnson because of his 'unusual' action but I'm absolutely not calling him a chucked this time. ;-)
  • Options
    I'm wondering if Jimmy might have a good day tomorrow - Hazlewood and Starc got it to swing all day - if there's a bowler who can swing the ball, its Jimmy. Similar weather conditions predicted tomorrow.
  • Options
    Batting first, we could have lost the Test match today, but couldn't have won it. So, the priority was to stay in the game, by the close. Job done.
  • Options

I'm wondering if Jimmy might have a good day tomorrow - Hazlewood and Starc got it to swing all day - if there's a bowler who can swing the ball, its Jimmy. Similar weather conditions predicted tomorrow.

I'd say our chances in this test rest on jimmy having a good day
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:

I agree. If he's still not out at the end of the day tomorrow, we'll have built up a good first innings score.

;-)

• Options
    Chizz said:

McBobbin said:

I agree. If he's still not out at the end of the day tomorrow, we'll have built up a good first innings score.

;-)

Him and Monty clinging on here still gives me the chills.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Or Warner and Smith having a bad one.
  • Options

McBobbin said:

Or Warner and Smith having a bad one.
    If they both fuck up, then I'M having a good day :smiley:
  • Options
    I think Anderson & Wood could be more than useful.

Weather forecast is fine for days 1-4 & plenty of rain on Sunday (day 5).
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    thank god we've got root, what a fantastic player he is.

feel sorry for ian bell he's really struggling not sure he should be in the side at the moment.
  • Options
    England need to bowl very, very dry on this pitch - forget the short ball and bowl stump to stump.

The Aussies hate these slow and low decks - they prefer the ball coming onto the bat.

Patience and perhaps persistence will be crucial.
  • Options
    That's one way to deal with a short ball Broady - head it!!!
  • Options
    Same ball - hit for six. That's the way to do it.
  • Options
    Same old Aussies, always cheating!