Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes 2015

Comments

• Options
    Aussies claim a catch that was originally given out on Broad and on review it was grounded by Voges
    Mitchell was bowling and got boooooed when he went back to the boundary and i think he give the crowd the old Nescafe wave
  • Options
    366-7
  • Options
    Johnson has his century! 0 for 101 off 24 overs!!!
  • Options
    he took his hat off and took his round of applause well!
  • Options
    Great first 30 mins. Wonderful stuff.

380-7.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

LenGlover said:

Not a bad analysis at all.

My primary disagreement is with a two point gap between Giles and Ali. I'd reduce it to one or even score them equally.

That's interesting. Because I think there's a massive gulf between the two. I have compared them in the role of number eight batsman and spinner who's role is to give the quicks a break. In terms of batting, Giles knew which end of the bat to hold - without question. But, in his entire career, he only made a highest Test score of 59. Ali, meanwhile has a highest Test score of 108* despite having only played in 11 Tests. In terms of bowling, they are closer. Giles' Test best was 5/59, while Ali's is 6/67. Both Ali's batting and bowling averages are 8 better than Giles'. So, in terms of numbers, it's unarguable.

But what's important is what they do for the team. Ali *can* turn an innings that has a bad start into a decent score. Whereas you never got the impression that Giles would turn a 60/6 into a 350 all out. And this year's Tests are not going to be played on turning pitches. So the Ashes won't necessarily be won by the team with the best spinner; they'll be won by the team that can avoid capitulation, reinforce winning positions and "edge" the key moments. For my money, Ali is brilliantly suited to do those jobs, whereas Giles was, if not a walking wicket, an easily-overcome obstacle to the tail-enders.

Of course, we might even see Adil Rashid play instead. If so, it will be because the strategy to win on slow, seaming wickets has failed and we'll be onto plan "B".
    Moeen Ali's highest Ashes score is now higher than Ashley Giles'. And, whatever happens in the rest of this match, Ali will have a higher Ashes batting average than Ashley.
  • Options
    Broad gone?
  • Options
    405-8
  • Options

Broad gone?

Yes.

Broad c Haddin b Lyon 18 (Eng 395-8).

England now 412-8.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Broad gone?

Yes - he tried to slog sweep Lyon and got a bottom edge well taken by Haddin.

416-8 now with Ali on 74 and Wood on 3
  • Options
    Bugger. Drinks.

We know what happened yesterday after the drinks break.
  • Options
    Moeen out, caught at slip off Starc
  • Options

Well played Moeen a very creditable score.
  • Options

Told yuh :-(
  • Options
    Ha ha!!!

Don't you just love it when a fast bowler (Starc) tries to bounce a tail ender - and it ends up going for five wides.
  • Options

My prediction is Moeen out in the 2nd over and we scrape 380. Good days cricket but the Aussies are marginally on top.

Well done Moeen sorry I underestimated you. The Aussies must be getting nervous now.

• Options
    429-9 and our run rate is 4.25

We never used to manage that in ODIs
  • Options

Ha ha!!!

Don't you just love it when a fast bowler (Starc) tries to bounce a tail ender - and it ends up going for five wides.

I suspect Starc should check his helmet's on properly before he faces Wood later.
  • Options
    Another fluffed attempt at a catch from Mitchell Johnson. Nice to see him suffer!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nought for a hundred. Dropped catch. Missed run out. I think Mitchell Johnson's putting together a good case for the GIFC award in this match.

(Glad I F*cking Came).
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    430 all out

Anderson b Starc 1
    Wood not out 7

Starc 5-114.

So, England in the marginally better position. Now let's reinforce it.
  • Options
    Anderson tries to charge Starc and is bowled.

430 all out
  • Options
    430 all out. Happy with that
  • Options
    At 43-3 I would have taken 430 all day long. Still a very good surface for batting, draw is probably the favorite with the 5th day looking like being a wash out...
  • Options
    review for LBW
  • Options
    got away with it....
  • Options
    Wasn't the worst review but I'd love to see the stats for each review made by a bowler. And I wouldn't mind betting that Broad would be somewhere near the bottom for successful ones.
  • Options
    Starc is injured, and will miss the next test....ankle injury from yesterday, just reported on Sky
  • Options
    cafckev said:

Starc is injured, and will miss the next test....ankle injury from yesterday, just reported on Sky

Will be a doubt for the next test at Lords as there is no break in between.. nothing definite...