Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes 2015

Comments

• Options
    Australia have been hiding Hazlewood during the warm-ups. They know he's the trump card. Hopefully England know it too and are developing some plans
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

The quick Yorker delivered at over 90 MPH is still a difficult delivery to keep out. The masters were Wasim and Waqar.

Especially when they were swinging the ball around for fun. Great bowlers.

• Options
    Lyon getting torn to shreds by Essex here
  • Options
    Lyon 5-0-54-0
  • Options
    164/1 wish i'd gone today as well! I'm glad we are giving the Aussie bowlers something to think about. Siddle was in for Harris, and he got the only wicket.

This is clearly not a spinner's wicket
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    100 for Westley. Let's make the Aussies sweat.
  • Options
    England need to take Gillespie's advice .. get the aging Aussies in the field .. and keep 'em there for two days under a (hopefully) hot sun .. that is IF England can bat for that long .. I bet his fellow Aussies love ol Gillers ((:>)
  • Options
    Good to see Tom Westley make more than Australia's top three combined. And still going...
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Lyon 5-0-54-0

He went for nine fours and a six in his first four overs...

• Options
    299-3 at the close, Westley out got 144, Bopara 86no. If only he got those sort of runs in 2009!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

Starc - 7
    Hazlewood - 7

Quickly amending my 'regret' list to this now
  • Options
    2005 was a brilliant series. Test cricket at its finest, every single small margin counted.

It was also the first time in my memory we really matched and looked them in the eye

2015 they definitely have the edge in my book.

For me the ashes is 80% character and strength of mind. And I think they are the better unit and have the stronger minds
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/33394635

Ryan Harris retires! I feel for the guy, but it's a real bonus for England
  • Options
    Carter said:

For me the ashes is 80% character and strength of mind. And I think they are the better unit and have the stronger minds

It's funny you should say that.
    I fell out of love with cricket back in the fag end of the 1980's, but my juices were briefly revived after Freddie Flintoff's home series Ashes win.
    We travelled to Aus for the winter series with great anticipation and expectation.
    I remember thinking, when Harmison ran up to bowl the first ball of the first over, he needs to put down a marker, a statement of intent, take the initiative from the off.
    He bowled it about 40 yards wide (and I think the second ball too)
    I remember thinking, we've lost this series right there

• Options

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/33394635

Ryan Harris retires! I feel for the guy, but it's a real bonus for England

This is a turn up .. BUT .. I suspect that his fitness was in doubt all along and that Hazlewood was pencilled in for the 3rd fast bowler spot from the time the party was selected
  • Options

Carter said:

I fell out of love with cricket back in the fag end of the 1980's, but my juices were briefly revived after Freddie Flintoff's home series Ashes win.
    We travelled to Aus for the winter series with great anticipation and expectation.
    I remember thinking, when Harmison ran up to bowl the first ball of the first over, he needs to put down a marker, a statement of intent, take the initiative from the off.

Likewise, you only have to think back to the first morning of the first test in 2005. Harmison and Flintoff gave Hayden, Langer and Ponting a proper going over. That laid down a marker for the whole series.
  • Options
    Very sad, amazing bowler, their best, big blow for them.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Big blow for the Aussies. I think their bowling attack will now depend on which Mitchells turn up...

Those of the past year or so, or the Mitchells of previous English Ashes series?
  • Options
    Sorry for Harris but this evens things up much more. If Anderson and Broad bowl well we have a much better chance than most seem to give us
  • Options
    Massive blow for Australia, Harris is their best bowler by a mile - especially in English conditions.

Puts a lot of pressure on Johnson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Carter said:

Yep, I had the same thought, and I also thought from that moment on it was going to be a bastard flogging the 300 tee shirts I'd had printed up for that series, I managed to flog enough in the first test to cover costs, the rest went to the children in need charity.
  • Options
    Off to Cardiff tomorrow. The last home Ashes series where I didn't attended at least one days play was in 1968. Never been to the first day of the 1st Test though.
    Weather forecast very average. Why are we playing in Wales?????
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Off to Cardiff tomorrow. The last home Ashes series where I didn't attended at least one days play was in 1968. Never been to the first day of the 1st Test though.

Apparently it's to help finance renovation to the ground - very strange.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Welsh assembly money.

I've no problem with Cardiff staging a match (I'm going on Saturday), but not if the ONLY Tests they stage are Ashes ones, when other regional grounds get the less attractive fixtures. They lost money on a Sri Lanka Test, then had a West Indies Test taken away. Sure they need the money, but so do all the counties

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/13982107
  • Options
    Really hope we smash the aussies. Nothing I enjoy more
  • Options
    Well at least we can't blame Manchester for the rain.
  • Options
    My comment on Wales was purely to do with the climate. How Green Was My Valley, Green Green Grass of Home etc etc
  • Options
    Riviera said:

My comment on Wales was purely to do with the climate. How Green Was My Valley, Green Green Grass of Home etc etc

Some would say the same about Old Trafford though
  • Options
    According to my met office weather app, the weather in Cardiff today is ok. Just cloudy. Win toss and bowl is the order of the day I think
  • Options

According to my met office weather app, the weather in Cardiff today is ok. Just cloudy. Win toss and bowl is the order of the day I think

I think the right thing to do today is lose the toss!